Boundless Tera

Razor

What would you like them to discuss about it? They told us about it in an email you shouldve gotten to if you recieved a faulty one. It appened and theyre fixing it. We already know what happened and its been discussed quite a bit. Chinese new year, workers that want to go home, lots of mistakes. Thats the gist.

What questions do you have?

Razor,
Reactions: BigJr48

Summer

Long Island, NY
He's asking specifically about the tape that's being used on the new units. I, too, would like to know if the tape employed was a factor or not, & is it the same tape being used in the new units or did they make a change? Or was it the white silicone goo that Boden referred to & replaced on his friend's unit which seemed to have solved the issue in that unit?

All I said was the tape was pretty good quality. There are two heating elements, one inside the other.
The white goo used to seal the bottom of the heating chamber where the wires enter the air path is the most likely culprit. IMO

I replaced the tape I took off with new Kapton tape and new rock wool insulation. There seems to be several causes of the stank. I’ll leave it to boundless to report on what went wrong.

I will be updating with a list of flaws found shortly

Hi everyone, I wanted to give a quick update this evening. My sample Tera unit arrived a few hours ago and it appears to be performing as expected so far. I want to continue running tests tonight and confirm with colleagues on their thoughts before I give a full update.

Unless I missed it, Boundless never advised us what the flaw(s) was. If I missed their explanation, by all means, someone please fill me in. I, for one, expect Boundless to inform us what the flaw(s) was.

@Razor, you keep repeating the Chinese New Year being a factor, but you don't know this. For instance, here's some scenarios:
  1. The mfr. got the wrong batch of goo &/or tape from their supplier & didn't realized it.
  2. Or they did realize it & because of CNY/delivery commitment time decided to use it anyway assuming it would go unnoticed.
  3. Since some of the units reportedly were not outgassing, were 1/2 the materials up to spec & the rest weren't & it went unnoticed, or not, by the mfr?
  4. Did the mfr. attempt to cut corners intentionally to up their profit?

I could go on, but what's the point.

Last edited:

Razor

Just a quick q. Did you guys not recieve anything that had this and otherinfo?

``The issue is apparent on the ceramic heating rod seen in the right corner. There was thermal tape and adhesive found on the heating rod and was not intended to be used at the temperatures it was being exposed to. ``

As far as i saw from the pictures of a normal unit, there wasnt suposed to be tape there at all. I have not seen a vape with tape directly on the rod before.

I keep saying chinese new year because they received the order together in a rush, from china during chinese new year while they told us they were trying to rush a shipment out to the first ppl that ordered. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together. Especially if you've worked with the process before.

Last edited:

notoriousLrg

sTrange cLouds
``The issue is apparent on the ceramic heating rod seen in the right corner. There was thermal tape and adhesive found on the heating rod and was not intended to be used at the temperatures it was being exposed to. As far as i saw from the pictures of a normal unit, there wasnt suposed to be tape there at all. I have not seen a vape with tape directly on the rod before.
Agreed. IMHO, Eric's statement wasn't completely clear.
And we have
upon looking at the CFV teardown done by Puffitup that tape is in the exact same spot as on the Tera. How is it safe in the CFV but not the Tera?
http://blog.puffitup.com/2016/12/boundless-cfv-the-tear-down/
http://blog.puffitup.com/wp-content...-cfv-tear-down-chamber-dissessambly-parts.jpg

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
As far as i saw from the pictures of a normal unit, there wasnt suposed to be tape there at all. I have not seen a vape with tape directly on the rod before.

Here's pics showing the tape previously used:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/boundless-tera.25309/page-30#post-1220154

J
I keep saying chinese new year because they received the order together in a rush, from china during chinese new year while they told us they were trying to rush a shipment out to the first ppl that ordered. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together. Especially if you've worked with the process before.

Again w/ CNY? :doh: This scenario could very well have happened even if it wasn't CNY. If they had they had used the right materials, the outgassing would not have happened regardless of it being CNY or not.

Summer,

Razor

Here's pics showing the tape previously used:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/boundless-tera.25309/page-30#post-1220154

Again w/ CNY? :doh: This scenario could very well have happened even if it wasn't CNY. If they had they had used the right materials, the outgassing would not have happened regardless of it being CNY or not.

Yes, because i have seen this exact scenario about 300 time before. Im not even joking a little about that number either.
As far as i know, the tape isnt suposed to be there at all. Thats an issue that happens when people are in a hurry. You seem to throw out everything that has happened to come up with your own scenario in light of the facts that point in only one direction.

Have you ever seen a vape that has tape covering the heating elemtn? Polimide tape would be able to withstand the heat but im sure no one would want that on their unit. Hell, do you see the tape on broken down units that didnt have issues? Theres a pic of one a lot of pages back on here. These are all mistakes and when was the best time for mistakes? During CNY when everyone is trying to get to their families and rushing as fast as possible.

In their email its stated they found tape on the ceramic rod. That tells me they didnt know it was there. The way the tape is put onto the rod looks haphazard at best. Its not wound around the rod correctly and in the next picture, they completely removed the tape like its suposed to be.

A better way to find out would be to send an email to eric and ask him if there should be tape on the ceramic heating rod. Im willing to bet the answer is no.

Razor,

jdent3

OK, I'm asking Eric @Boundless Vape Technology to respond & let all of us know if there is tape on or around the ceramic heating element or anywhere internally for that matter. TIA. Eric!

You should also ask him about the tape on the CFV ceramic rod. I don't understand how it can be unsafe on the Tera and safe on the CFV unless it's due to the higher temperatures of concentrate mode.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Well, @jdent3, you just asked @Boundless Vape Technology the question. Hopefully, Eric will respond to us. I'm assuming that there are a # of different tapes used depending on temp, application & environment. So they both could have tape, but different spec tapes.

Summer,

Strakinpak

I know its a session vape, but will this vape "potentially" be able to be used as an on demand device?
I'm a very easily distracted person and I'm attracted to convection vapes because they dont seem to cook you herb if you arent drawing. I mean..
Considering I am forgetful but the Tera being a session vape, im wondering if it if safe for the vape when you take like one draw and then leave for the rest of the session, because I'm forgetful like that.
Saving vapor in-between hits is pretty important for me so convection seems the way to go. The Storm I have is nice, but not too efficient.

Last edited:
Strakinpak,

kuzko

I know its a session vape, but will this vape "potentially" be able to be used as an on demand device? I mean..
I'm a very easily distracted person and I'm attracted to convection vapes because they dont seem to cook you herb if you arent drawing. Considering I am forgetful but the Tera being a session vape, im wondering if it if safe for the vape when you take like one draw and then leave for the rest of the session.
I'm honestly pretty wasteful when smoking a joint, simply due to being distracted.. I'd like to up the efficiency a bit. Saving vapor in-between hits is pretty important for me. The Storm I have is nice, but not too efficient.

I think since it’s 100% convection that you COULD use it on demand but the problem is the heater stays on for a set amount of time so if you just hit it once and put it down it will waste a lot of battery. If you turn it off after each hit, You would have to turn it on and wait for it to heat up again for every hit and I imagine is not very efficient for the battery life either.

kuzko,

darco

Hello FC!

Am looking for a dual battery portable vape this 4/20 season and am looking for help choosing between the Terra and the CFX.

I have a high tolerance and have access to relatively lower quality herbs so a large bowl size is important for me.

Can anyone here tell me if the terra’s Chamber is larger or smaller than the CFX?

I had an Evo that broke so I still have those evo baskets and I hear that the cloud evo baskets fit inside the CFX. I find the evo baskets sufficient quantity of material to get me where I want to be. Hence I had decided on the CFX. However I really appreciate the replaceable batteries of the Terra so if the terra has the same sized bowl, I would go with the terra.

darco,

Strakinpak

I think since it’s 100% convection that you COULD use it on demand but the problem is the heater stays on for a set amount of time so if you just hit it once and put it down it will waste a lot of battery. If you turn it off after each hit, You would have to turn it on and wait for it to heat up again for every hit and I imagine is not very efficient for the battery life either.

I'm actually okay with that. Id rather swap out a fee batteries now and then then to damage the unit or waste herb.:)

Strakinpak,

notoriousLrg

sTrange cLouds
I know its a session vape, but will this vape "potentially" be able to be used as an on demand device?
If you are looking for an on-demand device as that seems to be the manner in which you will use it, you might consider a true on demand herb device. Prob not as a much of a variety of selection on the market as session, but they are out there. Suggestions of such units, in this thread, is generally off-topic.

Last edited:

ohmygodimsohigh

Here's a little Tera Early Review.

I cut out the concentrate rants, but I WILL be making an immediate followup review showing the concentrate pad and the UPDATED water pipe adapter.
I didn't show it in this video because my replacement Tera didn't include the updated version (a sacrifice made in order to get me the updated Tera earlier)

I received the new wpa a few days ago. It fits tight.

analytika

Here's a little Tera Early Review.

I cut out the concentrate rants, but I WILL be making an immediate followup review showing the concentrate pad and the UPDATED water pipe adapter.
I didn't show it in this video because my replacement Tera didn't include the updated version (a sacrifice made in order to get me the updated Tera earlier)

I received the new wpa a few days ago. It fits tight.

You were channeling Maggie Simpson there with the glass mouthpiece. (Half expected the sound effect from the show).

You raised the spectre of hot vapor.

How hot is the vapor via the plastic mouthpiece? Does it have long curvy cooling channels like the mighty? Hotter or the same as draws off the mighty?

I thought your argument of little conduction would have been stronger if you capped the Tera during the heatup. Have you done the same temperature measurement test with the mighty, cap off?

analytika,

ohmygodimsohigh

You were channeling Maggie Simpson there with the glass mouthpiece. (Half expected the sound effect from the show).

You raised the spectre of hot vapor.

How hot is the vapor via the plastic mouthpiece? Does it have long curvy cooling channels like the mighty? Hotter or the same as draws off the mighty?

I thought your argument of little conduction would have been stronger if you capped the Tera during the heatup. Have you done the same temperature measurement test with the mighty, cap off?

The vapor from the plastic mouthpiece isn't nearly as hot, but it can get hot with rapid hits. The Tera mouthpiece doesn't have any fancy cooling channels, it's very basic. They left a lot of room for improvement in the mouthpiece/cooling unit aspect of the product. The vapor is hotter and not as nice feeling as the Mighty vapor, but the differences aren't extreme.

I have tested the tera with the 'turn it on and forget about it' test a few times. There's not enough conduction to vape the bowl.
I don't think the Mighty wouldn't pass the same test, cap on or off.

analytika

The vapor from the plastic mouthpiece isn't nearly as hot, but it can get hot with rapid hits. The Tera mouthpiece doesn't have any fancy cooling channels, it's very basic. They left a lot of room for improvement in the mouthpiece/cooling unit aspect of the product. The vapor is hotter and not as nice feeling as the Mighty vapor, but the differences aren't extreme.

I have tested the tera with the 'turn it on and forget about it' test a few times. There's not enough conduction to vape the bowl.
I don't think the Mighty wouldn't pass the same test, cap on or off.
High powered convection heater, hot vapor, little space between the material and the lips ... I felt like I was watching a review of the grasshopper in a box mod format. Just say'n.

Last edited:
analytika,

michael.lm

question: does Tera require special technique to get a good vapor? For ex. will it work with slow mouth-to-lung draws? I tried other fully convection vape Ghost MV 1 and it’s overheated if not to draw strong direct-to-lung.

michael.lm,

Just Justin

well, BNDLS needs to have or get those replacements Tera's real soon, if they plan to send them out by 4/20...that's next Friday!

Just Justin,

Strakinpak

Vaposhop's got the Tera back for sale now. I thought they meant that on 4/20 they want to ship to the retailers, not the consumers.

Edit:
Nope, Eric said on the Boundless page on Reddit that the units seem to have landed in Europe already.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoundlessV...420_giveaway_live_stream_today_400pm_pacific/

question: does Tera require special technique to get a good vapor? For ex. will it work with slow mouth-to-lung draws? I tried other fully convection vape Ghost MV 1 and it’s overheated if not to draw strong direct-to-lung.
Convection vapes require a somewhat longer draw than conduction vaporizers because you need to get the vapor going through the hot air that passes your herbs through inhaling. Your draw is pulling the vapor, not the chamber. If you pull too long from a conduction vape, the chamber will cool down. Considering the power the dual batteries put out though, I think you will even be getting good vapor even with small inhales. Maybe even puffs, but I dont have the unit yet, so I cant tell.

In short, yes and no. Youll have to inhale for longer than with a conduction vape, a puff usually doesnt do it, but you wont have to take monster rips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom