Boundless Tera

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I should note, I have a problem with "robo farts". I think most people like to complain about it because they've read it and assume any form of plastic smell (no matter how small) is robo farts. Most plastics smell, as long as it doesn't smell like burning and that it doesn't taste like plastic.

Since I used the term a few posts earlier, I take it as aimed at me. So in short: I've been beta testing nearly all Smiss units since they started their vape division, and I've been using the term on purpose. In a lot of their conduction devices the heater was surrounded with a sandwich of (probably rockwool) insulation wrapped in yellow polyimide tape (generic name for the material know as Kapton)

The tape is able to sustain the temperature, no worries, but the (possibly acrylic) glue on it had a bad and strong smell, which needed over 3 entire battery discharges worth of empty burn-ins with active cooling (fan or blowing in the device) to get rid of. The higher the temperature the stronger the smell.

Then in the FM8 alpha unit for instance, they used an awful silicone bonding glue close to the heater (something like Silastic) and this was just ignominious, made the device unusable. Same material was later found in other brands when I beta-tested the Elo, and then later the VapeDynamics Duo, both units were big commercial failures (buyer beware VapeDynamics is coming back and launching a new device, cf the unreleased section, I would stay clear of that just by principle)

Some of their later units had a black silicone which was more smelly than the clear one used in the FM5 range. And the FM5-MiniPro has one extra silicone piece right under the heater, which smell I'm able to detect compared to the FM5-Pro and FM5-S.

Finally in the CFV teardown from puffitup, we saw what looked like again some polyimide tape inside the two separate telescoped heater elements (CFV and SwiftPro have two sensored heaters inside, one outter and one inner, heating the SS spiral heat exchanger) Some users reported a strong smell in the CFV thread, while my SwiftPro had strictly zero smell out of the box. If mine had that tape I would have detected it in a blink, but nope.

So our concerns are completely valid and to me the "robot fart" term couldn't be more appropriate. If the smell comes from the shell, no worries whatsoever. If it comes from the air/vapor path, well, that's a different story.

dannydroid

Google Nazi
Since I used the term a few posts earlier, I take it as aimed at me.

Not at all. I was replying to trfe (I see him(?) on reddit to, where "robo fart" is word of the week or something there).

Also, I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. You even appear to agree with my post?
("If it comes from the air/vapor path, well, that's a different story.")

And the FM5-MiniPro has one extra silicone piece right under the heater, which smell I'm able to detect compared to the FM5-Pro and FM5-S.

I know what your saying (and even so, it doesn't really heat up (or at least, mine didn't), and it tastes like rubber because you've got no choice but to pull the air through it. Not perfect but its not going to harm you), but that's a different product anyway (same manufacturer, yes. Made in the same factory as boundless [most likely], by Smiss, but that's how China works. Smiss, the Foxconn of vapes.).

(Boundless do totally isolated airpath with SS, its there thing. FM love there plastic, even in the air path)

Boundless (if doing their job correctly) should be making sure Smiss makes their products up to western standards (both in build quality and safety), because (and I don't mean this in a rude way) given the chance, most Chinese manufacturers would use lesser parts to save money.

So our concerns are completely valid and to me the "robot fart" term couldn't be more appropriate. If the smell comes from the shell, no worries whatsoever. If it comes from the air/vapor path, well, that's a different story."

I was never disregarding robot farts, just that most people throw that phrase around wayyyy more than is necessary. Everything new smells, its new... Everything has been made new and molded (you mold plastics with heat, it sets, and it will still smell).

Say you air out a vape for a week or two, you'd most likely smell it anymore. But if you turned it on and could smell plastic again, then there's a problem, something is heating the some plastic somewhere and if it gets hot enough, will cause you health problems.

If anything, I'm worried about the "black magnets" in the chamber, and what was used to coat them and if it can be chipped*

* I feel like I should point out there in no evidence to suggest that. Just my own paranoid mind when I heard Randy say "black magnets" on their unboxing.

Last edited:

Keioz

For what it’s worth, I find my efest Luc v4 external charger to be much more reliable, and better features than the Nitecore. (For example, you can choose 3 charging speeds on the efest LUC. .5, 1.0, or 2.0 amp.
Charging batteries slower is always better for them heatlthwise and for safety, but wow, if you need a quick charge, the 2.0 setting is FAST!
Both chargers (Nitecore and efest are about $20. Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit over)
Tried charging via usb in the Tera last night. Painfully slow. Moved to the charger and things rolled right along.

Yes, get an external charger, and get GENUINE battery cells from on of the places mentioned above. It IS worth it.
Oh, honestly, ANY of the batteries that have been mentioned so far would all work perfectly and keep you happy. Yeah, there are different numbers and ratings, but as most have said, there is no perfect 18650. Gives and takes with each model. Any of the models we mentioned, LG, Samsung, Sony, etc and you’ll be fine. My personal choice is the brown label LG HG2, but everyone has their own preference. Just get one of the good brands from one of those reliable dealers, and you’ll have no worries at all
Do get an external charger. You’ll be glad you did, plus hopefully removeables will become normal and you’ll be ahead of the curve. Also, another FYI, not sure about the Nitecore, but I did test the efest with Grasshopper propriety batteries and it charged those fast and no problem, 4 at a time! So yeah, apparently the LUC will charge non-standard sizes also. That was nice to see.
Morning all! ✌️
Jerseydvd
It is better to jave a 2100 mah 30A battery or a 3000mah 20A battery?

Keioz,

Peacer666

Not at all. I was replying to trfe (I see him(?) on reddit to, where "robo fart" is word of the week or something there).

Also, I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. You even appear to agree with my post?
("If it comes from the air/vapor path, well, that's a different story.")

I know what your saying (and even so, it doesn't really heat up (or at least, mine didn't), and it tastes like rubber because you've got no choice but to pull the air through it. Not perfect but its not going to harm you), but that's a different product anyway (same manufacturer, yes. Made in the same factory as boundless [most likely], by Smiss, but that's how China works. Smiss, the Foxconn of vapes.).

(Boundless do totally isolated airpath with SS, its there thing. FM love there plastic, even in the air path)

Boundless (if doing their job correctly) should be making sure Smiss makes their products up to western standards (both in build quality and safety), because (and I don't mean this in a rude way) given the chance, most Chinese manufacturers would use lesser parts to save money.

I was never disregarding robot farts, just that most people throw that phrase around wayyyy more than is necessary. Everything new smells, its new... Everything has been made new and molded (you mold plastics with heat, it sets, and it will still smell).

Say you air out a vape for a week or two, you'd most likely smell it anymore. But if you turned it on and could smell plastic again, then there's a problem, something is heating the some plastic somewhere and if it gets hot enough, will cause you health problems.

If anything, I'm worried about the "black magnets" in the chamber, and what was used to coat them and if it can be chipped*

* I feel like I should point out there in no evidence to suggest that. Just my own paranoid mind when I heard Randy say "black magnets" on their unboxing.
In the swift pro isn't more plastic in the airpath than the CFV, or is it?
Thought since I saw it torn apart it was safe.

Peacer666,

Razor

One more gripe. When the unit is on my glass piece, the display is upside down and I have to pull it out or raise my piece to see it. It should vibrate when the 5 minutes is up since its such a pain in the ass to take the piece off with the WPA attached.

dtaxx

One more gripe. When the unit is on my glass piece, the display is upside down and I have to pull it out or raise my piece to see it. It should vibrate when the 5 minutes is up since its such a pain in the ass to take the piece off with the WPA attached.

My number one gripe right now, kind of sloppy that they did implement a start vibrate but not a stop vibrate. Fingers crossed that they can fix this with a firmware update!

jerseydvd

My number one gripe right now, kind of sloppy that they did implement a start vibrate but not a stop vibrate. Fingers crossed that they can fix this with a firmware update!
Unfortunately the Tera isn’t firmware upgradable. They’d have to actually replace the chipsets to update the software.
That was kind of a sloppy overlook.
That’s just inconvenient though. The WPA needs to be fixed as it is barely usable without making this a awkward two handed process.

dtaxx

Unfortunately the Tera isn’t firmware upgradable. They’d have to actually replace the chipsets to update the software.
That was kind of a sloppy overlook.
That’s just inconvenient though. The WPA needs to be fixed as it is barely usable without making this a awkward two handed process.

I have wrapped some electrical tape around the bottom post of the WPA a few times and that really strengthens the fit. Mine doesn't even wiggle anymore!

jerseydvd

I have wrapped some electrical tape around the bottom post of the WPA a few times and that really strengthens the fit. Mine doesn't even wiggle anymore!
I'll have to give that a try until they come up with a fix for us at Boundless....
Happen to have a pic? I'm a much better visual learner if you do!

Thanks!

b0

Cloudy...
Well, WPA issue is not a biggie, I'm sure they will fix it/make a new one. Shame the firmware can't ne upgraded but this unit seems like a winner so far, no? :)

Can't wait for april/march when they start with the upgrade program

b0,
Reactions: Joaon

dtaxx

Well, WPA issue is not a biggie, I'm sure they will fix it/make a new one. Shame the firmware can't ne upgraded but this unit seems like a winner so far, no? :)

Can't wait for april/march when they start with the upgrade program

Upgrade program, meaning..? :D

dtaxx,

b0

Cloudy...
Upgrade program, meaning..? :D

Users from the CFV (don't remember up to wich date) are gonna be able to upgrade to Tera for 50$ if I remember right :)

Just a question from all users now, how needed a stirring is with this vape?

b0,
Reactions: BigJr48

Boden

Aspie polymath
What do you mean by release?
The lubricant they spray on the molds used to make the mouthpiece bits from is an oil used to keep the parts from sticking in the mold. If it’s not washed off, upon heating will start to dry out releasing its volatile elements.

It’s pretty stable at room temperature and requires water above 170*F with a detergent (dish soap) to clean it off (~10 min soak). Has to be rinsed off with water above 170F or it will reattach to the part.

I’d rather wash it off than inhale it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom