BHO is sticky and taffy like

soggycashew

Hello, i have some older stuff/flower I been trying to learn BHO with by running 30g each run and every time it comes out sticky and like taffy.

I am trying to make crumble but it keeps coming out like this. I have purged @ 82° f for 4 days flipping each day. Does anybody have a step-by-step video or whatever on how to make crumble?

Thanks 👍

soggycashew,

Zow237

That is the exact tutorial I followed on my last run and it too came out taffy and sticky as heck. I have tried BVV and whip it tane with same results

This one looks a little diff

Step-by-Step Instructions for Making BHO Crumble​

Making BHO crumble is a relatively simple process, but it requires precise measurements, quality materials, and a keen eye for detail. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1. Extract the cannabinoids from the cannabis plant material by using a solvent such as butane or ethanol.
  2. Purge the extracted solution of any remaining solvent by vacuum oven or other means until you achieve optimal purity.
  3. Place your now-purged extract into a glass container and heat gently over low heat for 5 minutes in order to add terpenes and other flavorings from the plant material.
  4. Once the mixture has cooled, place it into a silicone baking tray or other container and spread evenly with a spatula.
  5. Place this tray into a freeze dryer and freeze-dry for 8 to 10 hours in order to remove excess moisture from the extract and create an airy, crumbly texture when handled.
  6. After it has been freeze-dried, remove your BHO Crumble from the tray and store in an airtight container to preserve its freshness until use.
By using these instructions and careful attention to detail, you can easily make your own BHO Crumble in order to enjoy its unique texture as well as its taste and aroma!

Idk if the other one said freeze it or not. I can bet freezing it will get rid of that extra moisture thats causing the taffy like product.

soggycashew

@Zow237 thanks for the 2nd link... It utilizes a freeze dryer which is thousands of $$ and i dont have but wish i did... Thanks!

soggycashew,

GoldenBud

what is the problem with sticky bho? THCA/THC are sticky molecules AFAIK
get some vacuum and purge the butane off
or use DME solvent maybe then purge the DME off

GoldenBud,

soggycashew

Im looking for crumble not taffy. I have been purging with no heat since Saturday and flipping every day. The only way im able to flip is if i freeze and flip. The room temp is 84 so no need for heat unless high temps are needed to dry out my puck i got going on.

soggycashew,

GoldenBud

GoldenBud,

soggycashew

@GoldenBud Sorry when I said I was purging I thought you knew what I meant, I have and am running a BVV 3.5 gal vacuum setup and i also have a 10" BVV heat plate incase i need heat.

soggycashew,

GoldenBud

@GoldenBud Sorry when I said I was purging I thought you knew what I meant, I have and am running a BVV 3.5 gal vacuum setup and i also have a 10" BVV heat plate incase i need heat.
ah, ok, then why you need to flip it? the butane is very volatile, it will leave the chamber

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

be happy that you have the vacuum setup and keep making BHO, if I were you, I'd wouldn't be searching for new adventures, somebody can say that he purges without a vacuum (just leaving it in some room with some fan(s) for allowing the butane to leave for 10-14 days, some people believe it lets all the butane go... I wouldn't trust it)
you already invested in a vacuum system, that's great, I wouldn't try doing crumble if I were you

GoldenBud,

soggycashew

Im making/ learning it to help a friend that has 70lb of this crap.... It old flower BUT not bad....

Below are the materials I have purchased to do this:

1. BVV 1.5" Standard Closed Column Extractor With 6" Spool (30-60g
  2. BVV 1.5" Tri-Clamp Spools-18-inch (90-135g)
  3. BVV Female NPT Shower Head End Cap
  4. NEO 10" Vacuum Chamber Digital Heat Pad
  5. BVV 3 Gallon WIDE Stainless Steel Vacuum Chamber
  6. BACOENG Vacuum Pump Standard: 3.5 CFM Single Stage
  7. BVV 420ml Premium Tri-Blend Butane 99.999% Pur
  8. Whip-It! 420ml Whip-It Premium Butane

soggycashew,
Reactions: GoldenBud

soggycashew

Im making/ learning it to help a friend that has 70lb of this crap.... Its old flower BUT not bad....

Below are the materials I have purchased to do this...

1. BVV 1.5" Standard Closed Column Extractor With 6" Spool (30-60g
  2. BVV 1.5" Tri-Clamp Spools-18-inch (90-135g)
  3. BVV Female NPT Shower Head End Cap
  4. NEO 10" Vacuum Chamber Digital Heat Pad
  5. BVV 3 Gallon WIDE Stainless Steel Vacuum Chamber
  6. BACOENG Vacuum Pump Standard: 3.5 CFM Single Stage
  7. BVV 420ml Premium Tri-Blend Butane 99.999% Pure
  8. OR
  9. Wip-It! 420ml Whip-It Premium Butane

soggycashew,

davesmith

Glass Blower
It can depend on the terpene and cannabanoid profile of the weed what texture you end up with or are able to make.

Basic crumble just heat the bho up loads and stir till it badders up. But this wont always work. For exqmple high cbd content often keeps the extract sappy no matter what you do.

Good luck.

soggycashew

@davesmith What temp do you purge at for crumble? This round i never turned on the heat because my AC is broke so room is 84°f. I read if you use heat higher than 110° you start loosing terps. I just want some crumble.... Or at least shatter you can handle, this stuff is soft and sticky as hell.

On a side note my last try with this stuff I wipped the crap out of it while it was in my water bath untill it was a thick light brown then purged @96 for days while flipping every day and i got exact same results

Last edited:
soggycashew,

davesmith

Glass Blower
To make it “badder up” you heat it to the point terps are degraded (and agitate it) yea. Its done post purge.

Also you said 96 days? You mean hours right?

To keep the most terps you gotta leave some solvent in there. To make a dryer extract you gotta heat it.

Also please note im not an extractor. Ive worked for a couple of pretty big extractors tho and have a passion for extracts so i get the vague process and have seen people messing about with it. I can ask any really specific questions but ive made budder/wax from most types and its just heat plate and agitation.

Good luck dude. Sounds like youve got plenty material so trial and error will get you there!

davesmith

Glass Blower
You can try!

Just take a bit, put it in a jar, heat it up on a heat plate or whatever and stir the fucker. You dont want to heat it too much itll decarb and go runny, just enough so you can whip the fuck out of it. Use a dremel and a whisk type attachment or youll have arms ache.

If youve been purging so long you might have actually started decarbing hence the tacky runny consistency. Its hard to say tbh im probably not the right person to ask.

davesmith,
Reactions: Zow237

GoldenBud

Here is whats in my vaccum now and has been for 5 days. Its thick not thin...

@davesmith I meant 96 Degree F and what temps do I need to purge at to get the crumble? Can I try whipping what I got and crank the heat up?

I think it will become a glass-BHO if you will flip it (I see a bubble I think, sorry for telling earlier you don't need to flip it) and leave it within the vacuum chamber for another 3-4 days, but not sure....
it looks like almost-glass tho, good job, looks good

GoldenBud,

davesmith

Glass Blower
Yea i reckon you wanna just got higher heat quicker purge next time.

Is your material old? I only ask as its very dark. If its oxidised material its hard to avoid that without crc but if its not that old or has been stored frozen maybe your temps were a little high during extraction.

Are you using a dry ice iso bath to keep everything cold?

Nice 1

davesmith,
Top Bottom