best smell proof container on budget besides ball mason jars?

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I should get some of those oxygen absorbers. I have my long term bud in mason jars buried in a drawer and wrapped in clothing, and keep smaller masons out for regular use. This stuff may last me a year or more so want to make sure I'm doing it right. Good thread!

ETA: I just ordered a 10-pack of the 8 gram 58% Bovedas. My understanding is that even for smaller quantities of bud, this should be fine - the description says 8gram is good for 14-28grams of bud and I'll be using them in a few jars containing 14 grams but also a few jars containing less than that. But that doesn't sound like a problem from my reading. If anyone thinks I should get some 4 gram packs for the smaller quantities of bud let me know!

Now I guess I should get some of those oxygen things and toss one of each into my mason jars. This is really cool, I had no idea these existed. FC is a wealth of knowledge!

Last edited:

Squiby

I just ordered a 10-pack of the 8 gram 58% Bovedas. My understanding is that even for smaller quantities of bud, this should be fine - the description says 8gram is good for 14-28grams of bud and I'll be using them in a few jars containing 14 grams but also a few jars containing less than that.

I mostly use the 8gm bodeva packs as they are more commonly available. The main thing is, if you can fit the bodeva in your container, then you're good to go.

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I mostly use the 8gm bodeva packs as they are more commonly available. The main thing is, if you can fit the bodeva in your container, then you're good to go.
Thanks Squiby! I also ordered some of the oxygen packs you mentioned on the prior page. Really excited about this. I've amassed a fair amount of flower but especially having recently switched to vaping, I don't go through much. Happy to be able to keep it fresher for longer with these tips :)

david8613

Last edited:
david8613,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I'm still just using small ball jars and larger ball jars. So if I get oxygen packs and humidity packs this would give the same affect as a vacuum sealer? Can you reccomend what packs to get?

For the oxygen eaters, I picked up these, and just use a couple of them at a time.

As far as humidity-control packs, I've always used Boveda packs. You can find them all over the place. There are a couple of other popular brands, but I've only used Boveda. These are the ones I picked up (two and a half years ago, and I still have some left because I've been recharging spent packs and reusing them).

Ramahs

Thanks, when u put these packs in jar do u just lay it on weed?

I use C-Vaults, which have a section built into the lid that stores the Boveda packs (another reason I like C-Vaults)
51fC-rHxbdL.jpg

But, as far as I know, one can get away just fine putting the humidity control pack right in with the herb, like in a Mason jar.
company-protects-marijuana-terpene-cbd-levels-with-humidity-control-800x445.jpg

Personal preference is what it is. I prefer the C-Vaults, but the Mason jars are just fine, as long as they're kept in darkness.

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I got in my Boveda packs. Has anyone ever noticed them tainting the taste of bud overtime? I notice a smell to these packs (faint), and noticed a few reviews on amazon saying they had imparted their flavor or taken away the bud's flavor. The VAST majority of reviews are positive. I'm just a bit nervous to put them in all my jars right away, so I'm starting with just 3 small jars to see how they fare. But no issues from any of you? I mean these are ingenious and I'm excited. Just a wee bit nervous.

Schlumples,
Reactions: Ramahs

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I had some jars with them, some without in mason jars for over a year, no taste difference IMO, the flavour will naturally degrade a bit over time no matter how well you store it (except for maybe freeze-dried?).
The pack only has salt and water in it, wannabe expert arty-farty self-proclaimed connoisseurs might argue differently.:myday:

ATLelbow

you guys are gonna laugh, but I think my ball mason jar was doing its job. the reason why I thought it wasn't working was because for a few seconds my product was in my pocket and I got in my car to put my stuff in the jar, in those few seconds that smell just covered my car, and even though I put my product in the mason jar, I still smelt it very strong when I went to my car hours later. but when I smelled my jar I smelt nothing. when I got home my jar did not smell. but I think I would still like to invest in something a little nicer. I would like to hear some more suggestions.
If you are really worried put the jar in a smell proof bag. I recommend Formline. They have the best smell proof bags and the jars are awesome too. They also have a little travel puck container from which there is absolutely no smell. For my larger container I use mason re: containers. Basically jist a mason jar with a silicone wrapping and a child proof top.

ATLelbow,
Reactions: LesPlenty

ATLelbow

I got in my Boveda packs. Has anyone ever noticed them tainting the taste of bud overtime? I notice a smell to these packs (faint), and noticed a few reviews on amazon saying they had imparted their flavor or taken away the bud's flavor. The VAST majority of reviews are positive. I'm just a bit nervous to put them in all my jars right away, so I'm starting with just 3 small jars to see how they fare. But no issues from any of you? I mean these are ingenious and I'm excited. Just a wee bit nervous.
Ive had no issues. Just try and make sure you get the ones made for the appropriate amount of material. The packs self regulate humidity with the material and are just an amazing invention.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Boveda packs are great for adding moisture to over dried gear (as when some useless git is too lazy to check them for a few days (yep, me),
img_20191126_200457-jpg.14901

I like how the CVaults keep the pack off your material and in the lid, just so it can perform better.
Of course you can get tiny little models too.

Brewervapesalot

For the oxygen eaters, I picked up these, and just use a couple of them at a time.

As far as humidity-control packs, I've always used Boveda packs. You can find them all over the place. There are a couple of other popular brands, but I've only used Boveda. These are the ones I picked up (two and a half years ago, and I still have some left because I've been recharging spent packs and reusing them).

It seems weed turns color over time even in jars. Is that caused from exposure to oxygen? Will the oxygen absorbers help prevent the discoloration?

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Moses Baca

ATLelbow

I use C-Vaults, which have a section built into the lid that stores the Boveda packs (another reason I like C-Vaults)
51fC-rHxbdL.jpg

But, as far as I know, one can get away just fine putting the humidity control pack right in with the herb, like in a Mason jar.
company-protects-marijuana-terpene-cbd-levels-with-humidity-control-800x445.jpg

Personal preference is what it is. I prefer the C-Vaults, but the Mason jars are just fine, as long as they're kept in darkness.
Mason:re makes some cool silicone covers for jars to keep light out and dividers for the jars two keep different types of material in same jar. The divider also has a spot for boveda pack.

Also, how does one recharge the packs ?

Ramahs

It seems weed turns color over time even in jars. Is that caused from exposure to oxygen? Will the oxygen absorbers help prevent the discoloration?

I don't know for sure. I don't doubt it could have something to do with it...but I suspect there is more going on than just oxygen exposure.

I put the bovadas in a Tupperware with a damp sponge in a warm place and they recharge in a couple days

I put them in a large ziplock bag with a cup or bowl of water sitting next to it in the bag.

Schlumples

Resident Otter
Thanks again for all the info on this thread. I finally went through my stash today and added one boveda and one oxysorb in each jar. I mostly used 62% 8-gram packets in the jars I don't intend to open perhaps for months, and used 58% in the jars I'll be using off-and-on in the immediate future, using either 8 or 4 gram depending on what fit the jar the best.

Feeling confident in the storage finally. My flowers thank all of you :)

Ramahs

Thanks again for all the info on this thread. I finally went through my stash today and added one boveda and one oxysorb in each jar. I mostly used 62% 8-gram packets in the jars I don't intend to open perhaps for months, and used 58% in the jars I'll be using off-and-on in the immediate future, using either 8 or 4 gram depending on what fit the jar the best.

Feeling confident in the storage finally. My flowers thank all of you :)

Cool. We'd love to hear how some of that herb is coming out of your jars in a few months or more!

Top Bottom