best smell proof container on budget besides ball mason jars?

CalyxSmokr

I store my dozen or so jars in a large food storage container like Rubbermaid the double layer seems to hold in the smell and if you toss in a couple of boveda packs and a hygrometer you can stabilize the humidity.
yes, there is a budget solution

+1 what @Squiby said and posted, I will add the rechargeable unit is OK for 1 or 2 small jars or your day to day use jar but a wall powered sealer with a container attachment outlet is much quicker and seals the jar a lot tighter (less work for O2 absorber packs).:tup:
yeah I'm not using a jar sealer, guys. I assumed no one was since no one mentioned that. I am so sorry

CalyxSmokr,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Grobalot

Medtainers are good for out and about https://medtainer.com/
smell proof and waterproof (i've accidentally tested the waterproof statement)
Kilner Jars with the flip lock and gaskets are brilliant and work very well for larger amounts. no smell leaks and keeps flowers super fresh with a boveda humidity pack at whatever rh% you prefer https://www.kilnerjar.co.uk/kilner-range/facetted-clip-top-jars.html. I've stored flower for a year+ in a kilner. just swap the humidity packs out after 6 months or so to make sure they are fully working.
usually keep all my jars in our indoor shed/old coal storage room in a corrugated cardboard box and some in a plastic storage bin with a lockable lid. keeps them dark and out of the way of the kids. not too cold either and not hot enough to produce condensation in jars with damper flowers.

Grobalot,
Reactions: Whisper

Zander

has anybody tried any herb guard products? they’ve got great reviews.

Zander,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
has anybody tried any herb guard products? they’ve got great reviews.

I'm not seeing anything new and/or innovative on their site. It looks like the same ol', same ol'.

In my experience, Mason Jars are great...but they have to be covered up to block out light. So, they're great, cheap, and reliable...but not pretty once you wrap them in paper, tape, or whatever to block out the light.

I personally love my C-Vaults for longer term storage. They are quite airtight, block out light 100%, and they have the section in the lid that holds your Boveda pack, humidity control device in place.

However, for short-term storage and/or smaller amounts you can't get much better than Jayrz storage containers.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
https://www.dabpress.com/collection...weed-storage-container?variant=19756817285193
dabpress-dp-cc1000-weed-storage-container-humidty-packs-inside-62h-1_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.dabpress.com/collection...s-steel-weed-container?variant=12119162617929

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I'm not seeing anything new and/or innovative on their site. It looks like the same ol', same ol'.

In my experience, Mason Jars are great...but they have to be covered up to block out light. So, they're great, cheap, and reliable...but not pretty once you wrap them in paper, tape, or whatever to block out the light.

I personally love my C-Vaults for longer term storage. They are quite airtight, block out light 100%, and they have the section in the lid that holds your Boveda pack, humidity control device in place.

However, for short-term storage and/or smaller amounts you can't get much better than Jayrz storage containers.

Where are you storing your mason jars that they get lots of sunlight? Mine are in my basement, boxes, cupboards or drawers so that's not an issue for me.

I love my Jyarz for when I'm away from home.

Squiby

Where are you storing your mason jars that they get lots of sunlight? Mine are in my basement, boxes, cupboards or drawers so that's not an issue for me.

I love my Jyarz for when I'm away from home.
My mason jars are stored in a cool dark room inside an even darker cupboard. They are exposed to light only when I need to replenish my day to day. The rest of the time they are stored in the dark, at cool temps and vacuum sealed to minimise oxygen.

david8613

I have a dark colored ball mason jar to hold most of my product longer term 1 to 2 months max and then I have a much small clear ball mason jar that I keep in a smell proof pelican case for daily stuff, works well but I want to try those humidity and oxygen packs but don't know which ones or percentage.

Squiby

I want to try those humidity and oxygen packs but don't know which ones or percentage.

I use 58% boveda packs when I can get them. They are often out of stock. Mostly I use 62% bodeva packs in my jars.

Small jars up to about a 250ml size get one small 4gm bodeva pack. Medium mason 500ml to 1000ml jars are packed with a medium 8gm bodega pack and large 2L mason jars get a large 60gm bodega pack.

It's not an exact science as the bodeva packs will regulate the humidity so you are unlikely to place too big of a pack in a jar. The sizes mentioned fit in the jars nicely and keep your herb stored at the proper humidity

Small 4gm
https://www.amazon.ca/Boveda-Percen...=sr_1_3?keywords=Bodeva&qid=1573222056&sr=8-3

Medium 8gm
https://www.amazon.ca/Boveda-Humidi...=sr_1_2?keywords=Bodeva&qid=1573222056&sr=8-2

Large 60gm
https://www.amazon.ca/Boveda-62-Per...=sr_1_5?keywords=Bodeva&qid=1573222056&sr=8-5

EDIT: I missed your question about the Oxygen Absorbers. I buy the 100cc packs. I put one in every small and medium jar and two in the larger jars. they are e lied with a sandy powder. When they get hard they have to be replaced. If you buy the packs with a higher capacity, they would just last longer.

I also vacuum seal my jars so most of the Oxygen is already removed and I find my oxygen packs last quite a long time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oxy-Sorb-100-...&qid=1573230472&sprefix=Oxygen,aps,972&sr=8-3

Last edited:

Ramahs

I have a dark colored ball mason jar to hold most of my product longer term 1 to 2 months max and then I have a much small clear ball mason jar that I keep in a smell proof pelican case for daily stuff, works well but I want to try those humidity and oxygen packs but don't know which ones or percentage.

Get you some humidity control packs and oxygen eaters, and your herb can last MUCH MUCH longer than that. A lot of mine stays sealed up for 6-8 months at least, and is just as good as the day I put it in there. Proper storage and your herb can probably last years.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Squiby - (or anyone with long term storage experience) How often do you change out your bodeva and/or oxygen packs for the long term storage herbs? In other words, If you don’t open a jar and keep it in dark/cool space, how long can it last without changing out the packs?

Ramahs

@Squiby - (or anyone with long term storage experience) How often do you change out your bodeva and/or oxygen packs for the long term storage herbs? In other words, If you don’t open a jar and keep it in dark/cool space, how long can it last without changing out the packs?

I for one change out the Boveda's when they get dry and sandy feeling inside (then I recharge them in a plastic bag next to a bowl/cup of water so that I can re-use them). How often really depends on how often I open the container.

I'm not sure how long the Bovedas would last, but I've went up to 8 months and they were fine. I assume that as long as you have a truly airtight container that you never open, they could last significantly longer, if not indefinitely.

The oxygen eaters I only use for long-term storage, and I change them out about every other time I open the container. They are cheap, so I don't mind.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Zen Boveda...sounds good! I am with @Ramahs with the time frame of them lasting, a good seal is your main aim so the Boveda and O2 packs can work.
I have wondered if the Bovedas can even work in a vac sealed, O2 scrubbed mason jar?
I always burb and cure my buds for 3 months to manually get them to 62% RH before putting into long term storage with Boveda and O2 packs.
I am currently vaping 18-month old buds (bottled June 2018) and just pressed some rosin at just over 20% return so all seems good.:myday:
Boveda and O2 packs are very cheap compared to any lost product.:tup:

david8613

What are your feeling of using a food sealer? I seen one at an aldi's. I almost brought it, seems like it could air tight, and smell proof and take less space Would that be good, or could it damage the plant?

david8613,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

What are your feeling of using a food sealer? I seen one at an aldi's. I almost brought it, seems like it could air tight, and smell proof and take less space Would that be good, or could it damage the plant?

Can you link an example of what you mean by "food sealer"? I feel like that could describe a BUNCH of different kinds of things.

Do you mean a vacuum sealer?

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Once I started using oxygen absorbers (like so many things in my life, because @Squiby ) I noticed that my Mason jars sealed themselves. Because they're so cheap and small, I put two in smaller jars and three in the quart wide-mouths along with an 8g Humidipak. Within 5-10 minutes, they start popping off as that raised bit on the lid gets sucked down; It's loud too, the first time I happened to be in the room to experience it was so scary! :lol: So at that point, I moved the vacuum sealer thingy way down the priority list. The area I live is at sea level though, maybe a bit below it actually. I don't know if altitude is a factor.

I love JyARz a lot, tend to use each size for a different purpose. They seal so well, sterile, block light, and don't shatter; that makes them ideal for me on a daily basis. Everything on the current menu has its own jyarz for sampling and like everyone else here, the larger sums go into long-term Mason/Ball/Kerr preserving jars.

Top Bottom