Best 18650s?

Caligula

Maximus
@BLAZING OG I know we had a PM convo about this but i can't find it.

Basically I'm looking for the best 18650s to put into my Persei now that im getting an SS kit to fit two of them in there.

Now I know the AWs are boss for the 18350s but I hear the 650s are a different story with big boys like Panasonic and Sony getting into the mix.

So my question is what brand/type should I get? Price isn't too much of a concern but I'd go with the less expensive brand if there isn't a significant reason to get the pricey version.

Anyway I'm looking to extend my Hercules SR71 sessions since that thing chews through 18350s like no other. Like i literally swap batteries out after every session.

Really I want to go as long as i can before getting any noticeable performance degradation.

Any advise would be appreciated.

@BLAZING OG @OF @Bob Loblaw @ataxian any suggestions?

Last edited:
Caligula,

clouded vision

I'm no battery expert but I would think the Panasonic NCR18650PD that TET recommends for the Cera would fit the bill. they are 2900mah and designed for high drain usage

Caligula

Maximus
One would think that which is why I hope blazing og chimes in. From what i recall some batteries may have larger capacities but will have a steeper drop in performance.

What I need is the maximum time available at or near max potential performance

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
@Caligula
Iam No battery expert either, but I like the japanese cells like
Panasonic

ncr18650pd's
http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Panaso...TF8&qid=1384990216&sr=8-1&keywords=ncr18650pd

or the cgr18650ch
http://www.amazon.com/4pcs-Panasonic-CGR18650CH-Li-ion-Battery/dp/B00AKQQ990

but for the hercules I might suggest what he ecigs guys use
MNKE are regarded as some of the best.

http://www.avidvaper.com/mnke-imr18650-3-7v-li-mn-rechargable-battery/
OR
http://www.amazon.com/MNKE-IMR18650-1500mAh-Battery-MNKE18650A/dp/B00GDNUNGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384990331&sr=8-1&keywords=mnke 18650

The sony's are beasts, keep in mind there a bit lower in mah but should provide ample power to spare, stacking 2 you should be adding longer life than the 2 18350's.

THE HARD COPY:
30 Amps?
Did you want to vape, or boost your car?

The US18650VTC3 is a new high-drain 1600mAh Hybrid battery from Sony that has been tested to deliver 30 amps continuous. That's right, 30 amps continuous. At 3.7V that's a possible 110W.... more than any vaper needs.
This blogger suggests placing your order quick, because once word gets out these will fly out of the warehouses. Especially at this price.
But don't take this blogger's word for it... check the specs yourself

page 2

MNKE have a discharge rating of 20 amps continuos , 30 amps max.

& last efest V2 get close performance to AW so I didnt mention those.

Some report that the AW 1600 mah get more kick than the aw 2000 mah, so keep that in mind , the higher the mah usually they have to compensate in its initial discharge to gain more mah (longer milli amps per hour).
Thats how I understand it at least, IMHO.

I hope this helps a bit.

EDIT
Not home, but I will try to find some graph charts pertaining to the batteries so you get a better idea of run time and drop off.
Did the above with mt android galaxy phone and the photobucket app,but once home I can dig up the charts and so forth.

EDIT#2

CHECK THIS OUT PRETTY USFUL <JUST PICK THE BATTERY YOU WANT TO SEE THE PERFORMANCE OF< check off 5 AMP OR 7 AMP box

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Last edited:

Detonator

Detonator,

Detonator

Im an ecig guy and I use IMR 18650's they are high drain and 1600 MAH... edit 2000 mah now! mine are over a year old still going strong

but you need to know if you want flat top or nipple top... You device may requre one or the other or either may work..

nipple- http://ivape.net/index.php/18650-IMR-2000mAh-Nipple-Top-High-drain-Li-ion-3.7V-2-pack.html

flat- http://ivape.net/index.php/18650-IMR-2000mAh-Nipple-Top-High-drain-Li-ion-3.7V-2-pack.html

some say IMR are sold to Panasomic and then labeled... i dun know?

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...amp-battery-vs-panasonic-2250-cgr18650ch.html

This is true, some devices wont work with flat tops, I do believe in this certain application they should work. The top that there going to use it with has a type of nipple protruding from inside to make contact with the flat top or nipple top. I do agree beware of buying flat tops, make sure your device can except flat tops or button tops.

AW vs Trustfires

AW 2000mah vs panny ncr18650pd vs MNKE

You can do like this guy and build your own super battery pack lol lol
Enjoy!

Last edited:
BLAZING OG,

Caligula

Maximus
@BLAZING OG

Got those MNKEs in the mail today. Sadly, I didnt notice that the units you linked were flat-top versions. I cant stack these, can I? FML.

@Detonator I didnt see your post until just now.

I am sad.

Caligula,

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Oh y
@BLAZING OG

Got those MNKEs in the mail today. Sadly, I didnt notice that the units you linked were flat-top versions. I cant stack these, can I? FML.

@Detonator I didnt see your post until just now.

I am sad.
yeah, I has hoping you saw the next post, but you can stack them the only problem is in the middle of the stacked batteries, theres no button top, a lot of people use a small magnet, or spacer in between and you should be good.
The top, inside has a bottom protruding , then you have the spring on the bottom, but you will need a spacer (nipple) in between the stacked batteries.

BLAZING OG,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I've used tinfoil in the past, but make sure you wrap the sides in electrical tape to prevent a short circuit. You won't have to worry about this if you are using a Persei. I'd also like to observe that AW does not manufacture batteries, but resells high quality batteries manufactured by Panasonic, Sanyo and Sony. It's not so much a competition here as a matter of finding the cell he uses for each specific product.

I like to consider myself to be pretty well versed when it comes to batteries, and right now I am in the process of building a 99% precise battery testing rig with a variable static load so that we can start doing in depth testing on these batteries and emulating usage scenarios. I built one a while back but it has an error coefficient of around 10%. This is being done in partnership with a fairly well established vaporizer franchise in Ontario, so I'm hoping it will be useful for more than just myself.

However, asking what the best 18650 is, is a bit of a loaded question, akin to asking what the best vaporizer is. The truth is, there are lots of different models, several distinctly different cell chemistries and classifications of batteries that are all uniquely suited to different scenarios. The how and why of this can get quite obscure, especially since a lot of battery companies simply advertise a voltage/mAh rating and leave it at that.

But really, there is a lot more to it than just the overall capacity of the battery. And in fact, that figure cannot really be trusted. There are other important characteristics to take into effect, like maximum output current, constant output current, internal resistance, failure modes and the general chemistry of the cell. And all of these are measured relative to the cell in question.

If your going to be running the Herc, you want a battery that has a very high constant output current. Every cell @BLAZING OG listed would be a good performer for you. Also, thank you for posting that Sony cell, it is news to me and I think I've found what is powering my quadcopter project.

However, protecting these cells are going to be tricky, unless your device already has a built in protection system capable of switching up to ~9 amps. I'm using these in my 75W ecig mod, but they are meant for two cells in series, not one. Otherwise I would recommend going with batteries that use the LiFePo chemistry, as they fail safe rather than venting/blowing up like the Manganese, Cobalt or most other cells types do.

You can do like this guy and build your own super battery pack lol lol
Enjoy!

This is a very cool idea, but in this case it is exceptionally dangerous. Not only is this battery pack completely unprotected from thermal runaway, self short or over dis/charge, he's using multiple different kinds of cells. This means the pack will be unbalanced, some cells will be working much harder than others and because of that it will have lower capacity and last less time. I'm not saying this can't be done - I'm just saying don't use this guy as your reference. If you are going to do it, read EVERYTHING on batteryuniversity, read this article by Adafruit, and watch this video

Please be safe, these batteries are wonderful but dangerous things.

Caligula

Maximus
Well I forgot that I gota free AW 18650 as a replacement unit from D9... W9... I mean UP Tech (lol). I found an ebay seller who is shipping me a second AW for 10 bucks and change.

Good enough? Do you suggest just returning the other batteries to Amazon or are there no real safety issues using spacers on the flat tops?

@CentiZen @BLAZING OG

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
What are you using as a spacer? As long as you are using something that won't create a short, there ins't much to worry about. All of the Panasonic flat-tops I have been ordering from them have been coming with little rare earth magents on the tops by default.

2clicker

Observer
im looking for a safe and long lasting 18350 to run in a magneto clone. this mod will be pushing clearomizers like ProTank2 and Anyvape Divide mini for "liquidized" oil as well as BHOLT attys. can anyone suggest a good performer for this? ive been looking at the AW protected cells, but im not up on the cell game lately. if there is something better i am interested. any suggestions?

didnt want to start a new thread so i just posted here.

Caligula

Maximus
What are you using as a spacer? As long as you are using something that won't create a short, there ins't much to worry about. All of the Panasonic flat-tops I have been ordering from them have been coming with little rare earth magents on the tops by default.

I haven't used the batteries yet. Only charged them. Only magnet I have sitting around is in my SCS grinder... and im not taking that apart. Lol.

I know you mentioned aluminum foil?

Caligula

Maximus
Ha! Found the perfect magnet... and ironically it was courtesy of Grenco Science! They use rare earth magnets to close the box that the G Pen comes in (its actually quite a nice box for such a POS product) which also happen to be the PERFECT size for these 18650s! Thanks for the tip. Question though... would it be possible to glue the magnet on for extra protection against movement? Or would that fuck up resistance, etc?

Anyway, with the batteries and my SS kit, Im now rocking one badass lightsaber looking thing!

ckou.jpg

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
im looking for a safe and long lasting 18350 to run in a magneto clone. this mod will be pushing clearomizers like ProTank2 and Anyvape Divide mini for "liquidized" oil as well as BHOLT attys. can anyone suggest a good performer for this? ive been looking at the AW protected cells, but im not up on the cell game lately. if there is something better i am interested. any suggestions?

didnt want to start a new thread so i just posted here.

I have three types of 18350 in my possession at the moment, AW's sent to me by G, BFN cells that are used in the construction of an up and coming vaporizer, and some run of the mill Efest ones. I've just gotten my precision discharge station set up, so I decided to test all three of them, at a 1 amp constant discharge current from 4.15v to 3v. All of these are advertised as 900mAh cells, but as I've said in other threads, advertised capacity is optimistic to borderline bullshit.

The BFN cells surprised me - the pack they supplied in the Arizer Solo is fairly lackluster, so I was expecting the same quality with these cells. These cells are almost new, having only been discharged a couple times in a prototype unit. They supplied a total of 652mAh before reaching cutoff voltage.

The AW cells I have used in my Persei a couple times, but I usually go for the 18650's when I'm using my SR-71 so apart from maybe four uses these are unused. They provided 601mAh before they reached cutoff. It should be noted though, that the AW cell is capable of much higher discharge levels than the BFN pack, since this one is IMR instead of ICR; and it is expected to have about a 20% drop in capacity between the two.

The Efest one, I haven't used once. I got them for use in a hobby project that never made it off the ground (quite literally) so they are brand new. They did 540mAh and got a little toasty compared to the other ones. I don't know if these are IMR or ICR; probably just a low grade ICR one.

I would be happy to test any specific battery for someone, if they are willing to supply the test subject. Send me a PM if you'd like to do this. I've got one of my 18650 AW's under test right now and I'll report back with that later.

Last edited:

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I don't have a link to their specific cell, but this is their website. The specific part number is 18650C-900. I've been toying with the idea of getting a batch of them for my own use myself. This company isn't really a consumer facing business.

CentiZen,
Reactions: 2clicker
Top Bottom