AZ Court: You Don't Have to be High to Get a DUI

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
AZ Court: You Don't Have to be High to Get a DUI

http://www.alternet.org/az-court-yo...1086383.ye48TQ&rd=1&src=newsletter798457&t=15

***This is complete BS!

Impairment is not necessary for pot-related DUI prosecutions, an Arizona court decided.

shutterstock_18277498.jpg

Photo Credit: SHUTTERSTOCK.COM

February 19, 2013

An Arizona appeals court has ruled that marijuana users don't need to be actually impaired to be successfully prosecuted for driving under the influence. The ruling came Tuesday in the case of a man who tested positive for an inactive marijuana metabolite that remains in the body for weeks after the high from smoking marijuana has worn off.

The ruling in Arizona v. Shilgevorkyan overturned a decision by a superior court judge who said that it didn't make sense to prosecute people for driving under the influence if they're not actually under the influence.

The ruling turned on a close reading of legislative intent in writing the state's DUID law. The legislation specified the presence of "the metabolite" of THC, and Shilgevorkyan had argued that lawmakers meant "hydroxy-THC, the metabolite which would indicate current impairment, not carboxy-THC, an inactive metabolite that indicates only usage some time in the past.

The appeals court disagreed, citing its decisions on earlier challenges to the DUID. "The legislature intended to create a 'per se prohibition' and a 'flat ban on driving with any proscribed drug in one's system," the court noted. "We determined that the legislative ban extends to all substances, whether capable of causing impairment or not."

Because the law was drafted to protect public safety, the appeals court said, it should be interpreted broadly to include inactive as well as active compounds.

But Superior Court Commissioner Myra Harris, who had ruled on Shilgevorkyan's behalf, warned in her earlier opinion that the appeals court's interpretation of the law would result in people, including out of state medical marijuana patients, being charged with DUI when they are not impaired.

"Residents of these states, particularly those geographically near Arizona, are likely to travel to Arizona," Harris said in her 2012 ruling upholding the dismissal. "It would be irrational for Arizona to prosecute a defendant for an act that might have occurred outside of Arizona several weeks earlier."

Shilgevorkyan's attorney said he plans to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I know, this is complete bullshit! I just said this in another thread, but it's true. It's unfair to test a cannabis user for driver impairment because a person could test dirty for a month, or longer! This is not about keeping stoned driver's off the road, it's about busting toker's, period.

SD_haze

I know, this is complete bullshit! I just said this in another thread, but it's true. It's unfair to test a cannabis user for driver impairment because a person could test dirty for a month, or longer! This is not about keeping stoned driver's off the road, it's about busting toker's, period.
I know San Diego police will test and assign DUIs purely on THC metabolites from 40 hours ago, although I dont know about a month ago.

I had heard it from my Dad who works in the San Diego legal/drug criminal area and he said the same thing does not happen in places like San Fransisco, or other Northern Californa cities.
I guess SD's conservative slant impacts the law enforcement agenda.

It keeps me extra-alert when driving, be it sober or slightly not.

Funny how the "law" can test and arrest you for having trace amounts of THC in your system,but if I'm fucked up on prescription Xanax or vicoden,they don't really care. I guess the lesson here is that if you're going to drive,don't use weed for a month.

ShipDit,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Or, if you use cannabis, just don't drive at all. I think that's what they really want.

Vicki,
Reactions: ShipDit
Or, if you use cannabis, just don't drive at all. I think that's what they really want.
I wonder if it's the driving part they don't like,or if it's the marijuana part that drives these laws. IMHO the law will do damn near anything to harass,detain and punish weed users regardless of laws that allow for MMJ. Must be nice to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce. I guess all the murderers,rapists and pedophiles have been caught.

ShipDit,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I wonder if it's the driving part they don't like,or if it's the marijuana part that drives these laws. IMHO the law will do damn near anything to harass,detain and punish weed users regardless of laws that allow for MMJ. Must be nice to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce. I guess all the murderers,rapists and pedophiles have been caught.

I think it's probably a little of both.

Vicki,
Reactions: ShipDit

u bwade wunner

a blood or urine test will pick up traces after week(s).thats why these testing procedures need regulation and definite measurements when at work or driving.

I wonder if any/all of this leg has to do with insurance policy and who pays out when there is an accident.soon we won t be allowed blink:D

a person could test dirty for a month
dearest Vicki we are consuming a natural plant here.it belongs to us the people:cool: .lets not forget that.We are never dirty we are...as pure as the summer air or the driven snow....All ours..perfect noble powerful plants
being it is sunday I hope i m not derailing but some tonic is needed to heal this madness.
I hope this helps soothe

wordsworth.I wandered lonely as a cloud.....daffodils

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
we are consuming a natural plant here.it belongs to us the people. lets not forget that.We are never dirty we are...as pure as the summer air or the driven snow....All ours..perfect noble powerful plants
being it is sunday I hope i m not derailing but some tonic is needed to heal this madness.
I hope this helps sooth

:tup:

Roger D,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
dearest Vicki we are consuming a natural plant here.it belongs to us the people:cool: .lets not forget that.We are never dirty we are...as pure as the summer air or the driven snow....All ours..perfect noble powerful plants
I hope this helps soothe

I agree with you, I do. What I said is slang. Like when a person picks up, and they are driving home, a person would say they are "driving dirty." I don't agree with it being dirty, it's just a saying. :)

Vicki,
Reactions: Roger D

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
There are clean ways to consume the plant but unfortunately that doesn't represent the majority of the consumers.

Roger D,

OO

Technical Skeptical
This is where Jury trials and juror nullification are supposed to check the legal system, because what is the point of using a law against intoxicated driving against those who are not intoxicated.

I have been fearful the courts would rule this way for some time. My original concern came in a case where a 'veteran' CHP officer crashed his rental car into another car in an intersection, and flipped the car killing him and his family. The car he hit was a Ford Explorer, with unopened beers in the trunk. The police smelled beer in his car and found him at the hospital and asked him to submit his blood for screening. Eventually it was determined that the officer was at fault (for not figuring out how to stop a car, (like braking)), but can you imagine what would have happened had cannabis metabolites turned up in the blood screen?

Top Bottom