1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

AVS Molecule RDA

Discussion in 'E-cig Based Portables' started by Kanna_Kult, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Happy to report mainly positive first impressions.

The coil looks perfect, as expected based on AVS pre-built wire. It took some fiddling to get it to fire properly. AVS recommends strumming the dab tool across the top of the coil. Another technique is gently squeezing the coil, end to end, with forceps. With ceramic-tipped forceps, you can fire while squeezing. These made short work of adjusting the coil, which is probably essential to TC.

Placed a 20-25mg shatter bead atop the coil. Heated at 200F and gently pressed the bead down to get it to stick. Raised to 420F and took an exceptionally flavorful and effective hit. Compared very favorably with the current default build, which is also a stainless steel e-cig coil in an e-cig deck through a water rig. The very small volume of this atomizer might improve flavor. Love the new drip tip, which also works well for vaping e-liquid, adding some top airflow to any atomizer. It even has a splash guard.

Only disappointment is a little run-off pooling in the edge of the bowl. Might me better to let the dab soak into the coil before hitting. Recall this being a problem with flattened coils. Likely to be reclaim in the top and base of the drip tip as well. Also, don't know why the holes for the leads are so small.

Another approach would be to use a stove-top or inception coil instead of the flattened coil. Have to try that with Mohawk alien wire. (Might need to drill a center hole in a spare bowl.)

Might also revive the bucket build. The Source buckets fit, maybe with enough room for a wire in between.:sherlock:

2. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No need to drill, this alien variant inception coil fits easily. A one-hitter approach. The pic looks a little messy, but get much less reclaim than with the flattened coils. Also, find it at least as challenging to get those to fire evenly. The dish isn't essential with the above coils, but noticed the deck was a little sticky, so added it back.

Same great flavor and strong effects. Must be the small volume compared to atomizers made for nic juice. Vaporesso's Transformer post-less deck is one of the smallest, at 22mm, and also works well.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  3. 2clicker

2clicker we out there Accessory Maker

is there an FC discount anywhere for the molecule? id like to check one out.

4. abracadaver

abracadaver aka mephisto

@2clicker its good to see you around. I have an extra Molecule, and I just got a Macor deck for rebuilding it with. Since I blame you (and @Accept) for my constant obsession of all things extract/coil/vape, I would be happy to send you the one I have in reserve. @Accept kindly passed on the offer.

Zow237, Hogni, Accept and 1 other person like this.
  5. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Been dabbing shatter from the Molecule exclusively. Back to the standard, flattened coil build. Small dabs (10-15 mg) produce minimal runoff. Anything more is too much.

Tried a few ideas for vaping bigger dabs. If you wrap your own coils, you can cover a little more area by flattening a 4mm coil. Currently using old AVS pre-built triple-core fused clapton wire, 28gx3/36g. Seems similar to the packaged, pre-flattened coils.

The shatter doesn't really soak in, even gently pulsing at low temp. Other types of wire may be too difficult to flatten. Tried framed staple wire multiple times without success. Braided could be worth a try, but it might be too springy. AVS are wire experts. Curious what they've tried.

Inception coils are too tall, even with only two wraps. Several dabs were sucked into the drip tip unvaped. The base of the drip tip sits close to the top of the cup. So, tried a stove-top with Mohawk alien wire.

[​IMG]

Worked okay, but there was still run-off.

Also tried setting a Source quartz bucket atop a flattened coil. Poor results, but the bucket may be too tall.

Vapology, Surf Monkey, Hogni and 2 others like this.
  6. Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey Well-Known Member

Having just tried and been very impressed by the Saionara co-brand Molocule coils I’m sorely tempted by this RDA. I’ve been waiting ages for a truely great rebuildable to rival e-cig setups. This one looks very nice indeed.

graydeh1 and tennisguru1 like this.
  7. tennisguru1

tennisguru1 Well-Known Member

Just in, won't last long all colors & wood & leather
    https://www.wetvapes.com/lost-vape-...7-color2-black_frame_wood_inlay_africa_select
    $115 Famous Dual last of them

This site has the RDA's on sale & the Last of the Lost Vape Therions Dual DNA 75c
    20% off everything with coupon code “s20”

8. Surf Monkey

Got mine today and it’s great! Love the top airflow. It sure is small though. Way smaller than I expected it to be.

graydeh1 likes this.
  9. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

It's a feature, not a bug. Small volume intensifies flavor. You could always build in a larger post-less e-cig atomizer, like some of us have been doing for years. Like to see a matching battery.

Vapology and Surf Monkey like this.
  10. Surf Monkey

A matching battery would be awesome.

Yes, after using it a bit the benefit of the size and the top airflow became evident. I’m getting very flavorful hits out of it. Nice and cool too, which is a real testament to the design. It’s a bit dangerous in that it can deliver as big or small a hit as you want depending on how you fire and draw. Until one gets the hang of it what feels like a moderate draw can be a HUGE cloud/rip.

I’m really impressed. I’ve messed around with Orbs and Dabbers. Graduated to the Triton and the Sai. This stands above all of them so far. It’s cool (temp and look), efficient, compact and rebuildable. What more could one want?

tennisguru1 likes this.
  11. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A 4mm flattened vertebraid coil in the Molecule. Very promising results. Soaks up larger dabs better than the fused claptons and vapes without run-off. AVS sells vertebraid wire, as well as a flatter tri-braid. Wonder if they've tried? It's child's play to make, no drill required.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    Hogni, duff, cpk and 1 other person like this.
  12. tennisguru1

Check it out, by Brent AVS

Click to play YouTube Video

graydeh1 likes this.
  13. al bundy

al bundy Vaporist

On my Evic mini primo only choice is SS or TCR or 316 TFR
    Which do I choose for the Molecule in TC mode?

tennisguru1 likes this.
  14. tennisguru1

Is it for the Molsai coil or the oG Mole?
    Tcr#.88-.92 least effective
    For the Mole SS or TFR SS 316L
    Brent uses that as his standard SS 316L as a TC coil.
    14-15 watts 390-420

graydeh1 likes this.
  15. tennisguru1

Hello again Advanced Vapers!

Winter is in full swing! We are having a weekend flash sale running now until Sunday night! This sale will be for 25% OFF site-wide! Just use coupon code WINTER25.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors