ATF Tells Gun Dealers They Can't Sell to Medical Marijuana Patients

Lo

Combustion free since '09
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/3...lers-cant-sell-to-medical-marijuana-patients/

In a letter to firearms dealers across the country, federal authorities are being clear that firearms should not be sold to medical marijuana users.

The Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms agency (ATF) is sending a letter to gun dealers warning them it is illegal to sell the weapons to people who admit smoking medical marijuana and have a medical marijuana card -- something the card holders are unimpressed about.

Lo,

treecityrnd

Saw that BS. Now we will see the real hypocrisy. Keep your hands off my MMJ and I'll keep my hands off your automatic Uzi for "deer hunting"? Or maybe thats the problem. MMJ for ALL and then no one will need to stockpile guns that shoot 200 rounds/second :hmm:

treecityrnd,

VaporEyeSore

Sorry but this is so weird and funny as a non American i just dont know where to start :lol:

VaporEyeSore,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
haha I was thinking exactly the same! It's a total mind fuck!

And wtf is the ATF- alcohol, tobacco and firearms agency? WTF?
Does such a strange marriage exist? (in the heart of every American maybe- the makings of a good night :p) What is their mission?

I gotta click the link........

edit: well, well, remarkable. A federal agency!

Anyway, it's pretty perverse

WatTyler,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I saw a t-shirt that said that Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. :lol: Just have to change tobacco to MMJ.

t-dub

t-dub,

Carbon

So just don't mention that you consume cannabis when you're going in to purchase firearms and you're good? Don't ask don't tell right? As long as it isn't part of the background check I don't see the issue. I mean obviously it's not terribly ethical, but if you can get away with just not mentioning pot while buying your guns then it should be fine.

Carbon,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
When you fill out the paperwork to buy a firearm one of the boxes you have to check states specifically that "I do not consume any illegal drugs" . . . card or no, at the federal level its all still illegal. By signing the form you are swearing to the truthfulness of your answers. I have not purchased a firearm since getting my card, I have enough already, but this sounds like something the ATF would do. After thinking about it, if I HAD to give up one or the other, I would give up carrying concealed, purchasing firearms over giving up my medicine any day. Lets hope we never have to make that choice. A sheriff here in Oregon is taking his case to the US Supreme Court, after LOSING here at the Oregon Supreme Court, because he wants to deny CHL permits to medical cannabis card holders.

t-dub

t-dub,

stroh

errl enthusiast
well then it looks like i'll just have to purchase my firearms before i register for my MMJ card :lol:

but in all seriousness, who do you think would be more dangerous, a drunkard with a .45ACP, or a stoner with a .45ACP?

i find myself leaning towards the former...

stroh,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Alcohol+firearms=death. I never mix the 2, ever, period, end of story. Just my opinion.

t-dub

t-dub,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I wouldn't own a weapon because of the fear of friendly fire, hehe, but this seems earily connected to the crack-down on california dispensaries, and in general, the broadening of the reach and laws around the prohibition of cannabis.

Greed and fear, revenuers and politicians. Alcohol taxes are their god because they can control 'em. Always doubt and report on those who seek power and authority.

In any case it seems. Mods, that some way of tying together the new "affronts" in the War on Drugs (sic. People) would be great.

VWFringe,

poonman

I think the Real problem here is that MJ is in the same category as the Schedule 1 Drugs ..ie heroin
cocaine , meth . Let's separate that first , MJ is a recreational drug not Hardcore !
Until that distinction is made , it is hard for me to back a " Crack head " for purchasing a firearm,cars,houses !

Scenario ;
What if you had bought the gun/s first , them discover the joys of MJ . So you wouldn't be lying
when you fill out the form section about current drug use .

I also read on the next thread that they busted a bunch of gang members operating these
med mj depots ???
Just like with the alcohol prohibitions in the 20's . You drove the industry underground with
the likes of Al Capone , John Sleeman .
But once it was legalized , we have the likes of Budweiser , Coors , Molsons , Labatts , and yes
Sleeman .

In Short ;
Yes the laws have to be changed/amended .
We should be able to separate/distinguish MJ from Schedule 1 Hardcore Drugs .

poonman,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ATF has no authority to do this either. After operation "Fast & Furious" was discovered you would think they would just go away for a while but I guess not . . . sigh. Hopefully the investigation will prove that Eric Holder lied under oath.

t-dub

t-dub,
Top Bottom