Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

thesoloman

@Davinci_vaporizer Did someone from yuor company really tell
I just spoke with customer service to process my RMA and she informed me that the off-gassing was harmless to inhale
And if you did indeed tell him that the offgasing is harmless, can you inform me how you came to these conclusions?
from my little research into the matter i have found that the chemicals off-gassed from typical silicone are not at all safe to inhale, here is a partial list of what is off gassed from a average silicone. @Davinci_vaporizer would you be comfortable inhaling all these potentially harmful gasses? As a customer who received a offgassing unit, i find these claims of safety unsettling and very likely misleading. What i'm really asking here is does davinci know the chemical composition of the offgasing?

Here is an list of outgasses from a study on silicone.
https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/Outgassing_20of_20Silicone_20Elastomers.pdf

Principal outgassed species from a post-cured silicone rubber compound.

Component - Probable Source
cyclohexasiloxane -LMW silicone fluid
phenyl benzoate- catalyst byproduct
linear hexasiloxane -LMW silicone fluid
linear pentasiloxane- LMW silicone fluid
propanoic acid- ester catalyst byproduct
diethylphthalate- pigment wetting agent
Cx hydrocarbons -Silane coupling agent
cyclopentasiloxane- LMW silicone fluid
biphenyl hydrocarbon- catalyst byproduct
linear heptasiloxane- LMW silicone fluid
Cx aldehydes -catalyst decomposition product
cyclotrisiloxane- LMW silicone fluid

Archaicrevival

Yeah she really told me that, call and ask for yourself. However I refuse to believe that it is harmless.

@Davinci_vaporizer Did someone from yuor company really tell
And if you did indeed tell him that the offgasing is harmless, can you inform me how you came to these conclusions?
from my little research into the matter i have found that the chemicals off-gassed from typical silicone are not at all safe to inhale, here is a partial list of what is off gassed from a average silicone. @Davinci_vaporizer would you be comfortable inhaling all these potentially harmful gasses? As a customer who received a offgassing unit, i find these claims of safety unsettling and very likely misleading. What i'm really asking here is does davinci know the chemical composition of the offgasing?

Here is an list of outgasses from a study on silicone.
https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/Outgassing_20of_20Silicone_20Elastomers.pdf

Archaicrevival,
Reactions: Snappo

Nunavut Tripper

Just to put things in some perspective here, some units, including mine never exhibited any off-gassing whatsoever.

Mine did create quite a smell and taste that dominated the herb for a couple days but after some use that has dissipated to the point that my herb tastes fine now. There was never any visible offgassing even when I held it up to a dark background.
I'm wondering if people with this issue ( uncured silicone seals) should just do a few more dry bowl burnoffs till it corrects itself.
Sending back for refunding is an expensive and tedious for everyone and may be avoided with a bit more patience.

OF

from my little research into the matter i have found that the chemicals off-gassed from typical silicone are not at all safe to inhale, here is a partial list of what is off gassed from a average silicone.

Safety concerns are always worth considering. You cite chemicals "from typical silicone", do you have the same information for food grade? It's been a while since I got into this but as I recall the base polymer is a non issue here, the problems come from the catalysts used to cure it. They get captured inside as it sets and have to 'migrate' to the surface so they can evaporate for us to smell. The thinner and hotter the rubber, the faster this happens. Vacuum can help evaporate them off quickly when they reach the surface (they can migrate right back in you know.....). Anyway, if you don't put toxic stuff in the catalysts there's none to get out of the product basically. Everything there is still benign. They cost more and work slower (of course) I'm sure.

Like I said, it's been a while and I was focused on outgassing because it was in a vacuum system and was contaminating it. IIRC we went to a Platinum based catalyst and knocked it down under control (it can never be zero of course).

NASA did a bunch of stuff on this for the Shuttle program, we slimed a lot of their research at the time. Got us on track quick.

OF

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Anyway, if you don't put toxic stuff in the catalysts there's none to get out of the product basically. Everything there is still benign. OF
I'm curious and totally dumb about silicon/catalysts, but could the addition of heat applied to a non-toxic silicon create a toxic physical & chemical change?

Snappo,

OF

I'm curious and totally dumb about silicon/catalysts, but could the addition of heat applied to a non-toxic silicon create a toxic physical & chemical change?

For sure, enough heat wrecks everything. But, under the right conditions these materials will do fine past 450F which is enough for us.

That's why we can buy food grade silicone tube for our vapes, coffee makers and other important stuff. But, yes go to high and those long molecules start breaking down into a whole bunch of stuff, some of which burns IIRC?

OF

armin

Sounds like even after all the blowback from the shitty 1.1 release they still aren't running every model through a thorough qc process. I think I'm gonna get a pax instead. I fear buying that poor poster they has gone through 4 already . That's $$$ in shipping.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
I could understand and tolerate the proverbial 'new car smell' for maybe a burn-off session or two. But nothing more putrid and longer-lasting than that. But that's just me. :2c:

Belgianvapor

does the ascent have an auto shut off after 20 ish minutes?
I had it happen to me twice that the ascent was still on but the heating stopped and the temp was
going down. Not the same as when it shuts off completely after the 1.5 minute I have it set to.
Can I disable/increase that auto shut off?

Belgianvapor,

Nunavut Tripper

On page 11 of the Ascent user manual it's referred to as "black medical grade silicone ".
Somewhat reassuring but it might be nice if Davinci could chime in a give us some more info.
I'm not an expert in this area but when mine was producing this smell it was instinctively not something I really wanted in my body.

does the ascent have an auto shut off after 20 ish minutes?
I had it happen to me twice that the ascent was still on but the heating stopped and the temp was
going down. Not the same as when it shuts off completely after the 1.5 minute I have it set to.
Can I disable/increase that auto shut off?

You may be talking about the timer. You can double tap the config button and it allows you to change the timer for power off. Changing that seemed to make a difference for me, no matter how I moved. I kind of thought that was motion only, but I think its either not very sensitive or that isn't a motion sensor.

As an aside, so I don't double post, I tried wax at a friends tonight. 420 seemed a tad high, and it seemed to work best when you tipped it on the side and drew hard enough to hear the Jar shift.

Just testing.

So would a solid chunk of glass (minus the drilled "flow holes") work better as a spacer? It seems it would, but I was just curious.

Belgianvapor

You may be talking about the timer. You can double tap the config button and it allows you to change the timer for power off. Changing that seemed to make a difference for me, no matter how I moved. I kind of thought that was motion only, but I think its either not very sensitive or that isn't a motion sensor.

I have that motion sensor set at 90 seconds, and when it activates, it shuts off completely where as it stops heating after about 20 minutes, it stays on, you just don't see the "coffee cup" or the thermometer on the screen, just the temp that is dropping.
I only seen it twice, but it could very well be that I only vaped for more than 20 minutes 2 times, plus I did it both times at max temp the whole time, maybe some kind of safety installed wich shuts down the heater to prevent over heating?

*edit* I've been testing the battery, with some great results but can anybody tell me if I can put the ascent back on the charger right after a session, when it's still hot? (I supose it's no problem because you can use the ascent while plugged in?) and is it ok to use the ascent until it dies? is there some kind of protection that shuts the ascent down with 20% capacity left or so? I want to see how much I can get out of the ascent but don't want to hurt is.
My last results were : (with stil about 1/5th of the battery bar left) 7 sessions, all on max temp, total of 95 minutes (1x21 min 1x10 min 1x12 min and 4x13 min) between every session enough time to let it cool down. I used different loads, mflb worth up until near full.

Last edited:

brewer

I haven't seen one and people have asked, so I will share my observations on what a first time user should know. Sorry if it seems presumptuous.

Initial Setup:
You should check your charge when you get your vape. They have been coming from the factory with a substantial if not full charge. As tempting as it is to blaze away, charge it first. If your aren't sure if the indicator has lied to you, I've seen a few posts suggesting that unplugging and replugging the charger and if the indicator is "stuck" it will change. Not sure if this is a issue with the new ones. I haven't seen it for many, MANY pages of posts. Mine was fully charged from the factory.

Your vape may have an old serial number. DV says they do not ship anything but the most current version, and my own stealth is the newer revision with an A1 serial number. If you bought it from somewhere else, you should look for the enhancements. The most obvious is a "v" notch stay on the side of the unit.

Most people say you should run it for a while at broil (or whatever the top temp is). This is apparently to "cure" the seals. I did not do it, and I didn't taste or feel anything off. I bought a second vape for my buddy for Christmas, and it appeared to have a bit of something on the seals and in the bowl. This may have been condensate from moving it inside from the cold. Regardless, I don't see how "cooking off" the unit will hurt. They also mention that it might be a good idea to watch the unit when you do this, so you can see if it "smokes". As an observation, silicone has a fantastically high melting point (I pour molten lead into silicone muffin trays to make lead "biscuits"), and I think, but am not certain, that the "smoke" is more likely vapor.

Using the Vape:
The DV Ascent likes to have a full bowl. Some people just fill it, some people use "flowers," or glass tobacco filters, some people use glass beads, and some use the wax/oil jar.

Filling the bowl is self-explanatory, but the bowl is big, so it's also expensive ;). I only really fill and pack it when I am with friends and sharing. Some say pack it, some don't emphasize that. In my observations, packing it does make the clouds more rich.

If you use flowers, you can play with it. Honestly, I've read every post (this vape is too pricey for me to not know every thing I can about it) and there really seems to be a lot of variations with their use. Most put at least one flower in first, pack it a little, and then put at least one more on top, from what I gather. I ordered flowers, but I don't have any, so sorry.

When you use beads, ensure you don't use something that will poison you. Avoid iridescent coatings or the super cheap Chinese ones. Wash them in ISO first. I read an excellent post about how round was absolutely the wrong shape. The square beads seem to be well-liked.

Some have drilled holes in the jar that comes with, and used it as a spacer. I personally use the jar with no holes. It seems to work fine, so I don't wanna drill out a jar until I read more.

The goal in all cases is to increase the surface area and reduce the amount of empty space, while holding down the products.

Prevailing opinion is that you should draw slow. It actually took me a few days to get the breathing right. THIS IS A TECHNIQUE DEPENDENT VAPE. Do it right or you will be here complaining.

This vape needs time to warm up and recover. I've never had a problem hitting it within 20 seconds of hitting temperature. I have seen varying times between hits. I try to give it 30 seconds, and that seems to be enough.

You will know when you are done because you can taste it. For me, it's almost like a burnt popcorn taste. It will also produce less vapor/taste.

Most people are happy with the way it cooks the product evenly without having to stir. I stirred it a few times but it really didn't seem to make a difference so I stopped.

I start around 360. I end around 400.

When You're Done:
This takes a long time to cool down. I see that guys will sometimes snap the stems off the flowers. If you have the jar in don't even think about touching it.

Clean the glass in strong ISO. I put the glass and alcohol in a baggie and let it soak for a few hours. Then I take the glass out, pour in a little kosher salt (cheaper than sea salt where I live), then put glass back in the bag one at a time and shake the hell out of it. The salt will help scour it.

The crap that's left after that (if any) has always rinsed out by just holding it under the faucet.

By all means, if you find better ways, post here. I like better ways!

The design issues have been revised out of it. QC still seems iffy for some people, but customer service does not. If your question is "Does it still..." the answer is no, unless you have a broken one, in which case you should exchange it.

Thanks for the great review... I had purchased one of these in May, and waited, and waited... but it never came come September, so I cancelled the order. I just came back into this forum to see how progress was going on the units.. And after reading a lot of uninformative posts--this post finally read like like someone had used this vape a lot and figured it out.

Sounds like a decent a vaporizer, but nothinh to write home about. If it was smaller than a Pax and vaped a small amount of material well, I would consider it. The all glass seems nice. But for its size and persnickety nature, I'll have to pass i guess; already have one portable that took a while to figure out (Pax), and the biggest upgrade to me would be less on bells and whistles (oil cans, glass, digital, bubbler attachments, etc) and more on plug and play function with varying amounts of material and consistent performance.

Davinci -- do that an you'll have a buyer...

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Its definitely annoying. If my last one that worked perfectly didn't work so well, I wouldn't keep trying otherwise. The bowl size is perfect for me, everything comes out evenly dark and last a very long time on a full packed bowl without stirring. Davinci has also been really great getting units back and forth. I just want the unit I had that worked lol. I'm tired of refilling my solo 10 times and my eq isn't portable. With this, I can vale until the pain killing effect kicks in and I can drift off to sleep while it shuts down on its timer if I forget to turn it off.

It is extremely annoying to say the least, but once you've had a working awesome unit, you wont want anything else.

The paying for shipment thing is pretty annoying too IMO. If this next one needs shipped back...... I'm going to be done with it. That'll be 50 bucks in shipping for replacements alone. Lets just hope the quality check they do this time will be a good one. So far, I've had one that wouldn't heat, a DOA, battery death and the last one, the led screen was half dead. Its like someone hates me and keeps sending me the crap lol.

Will keep waiting and hoping a little longer though. Wish me luck!
I wish you the best of luck...you deserve it.

And your support of DaVinci and their product is commendable.

WildChild,
Paying for shipping on a product known for less than perfect quality control is gonna be a really awful experience for da vinci customers.

chester222,
Reactions: CMD

vapecapz

Wow.. So I just got my ascent 1.1 or whatever the latest version is from GotVape. Packed it tight with some glass spacers.

CLOUD CITY!!

Might try it out with the jar as a spacer and see if that works nearly as well... I think it's definitely time to retire the VB 2.0 if this performance keeps.

leapinglemur

fuckcombustion? more like fuck these guys

csZqdc1.jpg

worst customer service imaginable. Would not purchase again. Thinking about getting a Pax or something if I can even process my return request.

leapinglemur,
Reactions: chester222

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
CALL them!

i was going to say the same thing. i called them and ALWAYS got a response

What is the point of having online messages and online return requests if no one even pays attention to them?

so what is the point of NOT trying other avenue to reach them such as the telephone when others in here have said thats what they did and got good responses???

Snappo

Accessory Maker
What is the point of having online messages and online return requests if no one even pays attention to them?
Now that you have established a trail of written correspondences, CALL THEM!!!

Snappo,

JCat

Accessory Maker
fuckcombustion? more like fuck these guys

csZqdc1.jpg

worst customer service imaginable. Would not purchase again. Thinking about getting a Pax or something if I can even process my return request.
Are you e-mailing DaVinci directly or is this a retailer you've been dealing with? DaVinci has been nothing short but excellent with customer service and responding to e-mails from my experience to-date ... anyways ... if it is DaVinci directly than I'll see if I can get in contact with someone to try to help you out (their customer service is really generally much better ... not sure what happened ... I've had a really good experience with CS so far). If it's a retailer selling for DaVinci you might want to try contacting DV directly ...

Top Bottom