Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

lwien

Wow Nigel. Thanks. Considering what you just said, it should be ok for me. Will report back.

One more question. Did you use a medium grind?

lwien,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Wow Nigel. Thanks.

No worries!

If this is the kind of "one" that a person takes "one" for the team, then sign me up!

Considering what you just said, it should be ok for me. Will report back.

One more question. Did you use a medium grind?

My draws might be smaller than yours, but if they are not, if I understand how you consume, that's about 3 days perhaps?

In terms of grind, I run it through a metal 4-piece grinder once. What I have is about a week off cure. So very fresh. The grind is really fluffy and spongy. If it wasn't as fresh, it would be different.

nigel,

lwien

So I just got it. Really beautiful. Nice packaging. Better than nice. But................should there be something in this empty space?:

gxkXlEH.jpg

lwien,
Reactions: Snappo

nigel

So I just got it. Really beautiful. Nice packaging. Better than nice. But................should there be something in this empty space?:

I believe that was the holder for the one already in the unit. It comes with two sets and the 2nd one should be in the foam with the oil cans.

nigel,

jivebuggered

Welcome to this thread. You might want to take a few minutes and read through the thread.
:p :p :p

I had answered you the other day, but the flowers really do seem to help with efficiency. Does one *need* them? No. Do YOU *need* them? I'm guessing "yes."

Try it with the oil can in place if you don't have the flowers. I felt that helped, but feel the flowers are better.

I was using a spare stem to tamp down product, and had an edge of the screen crumble (NOT shatter, but crumble). I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but never did it again.

That glass is perfectly safe in its silicone home, but fragile outside of it.

When i received version 2 the corner of the glass screen was cracked/chipped which Da Vinci happily replaced. I was just wondering if there might be many others and if there might have been a "faulty batch" when the glass screens were made?

jivebuggered,

Czechyourhead

Depends, are the glass stems inserted in the Ascent? and is there a spare set underneath the top layer?

Czechyourhead,

lwien

I believe that was the holder for the one already in the unit. It comes with two sets and the 2nd one should be in the foam with the oil cans.

Got it. Ok, two more questions. Look at the pick below. Looks like there some brown residue around that nub in the bowl. Is that normal?

Also, how far do you guys pull the glass rod out to use and does it matter?

ypDQdqf.jpg

Depends, are the glass stems inserted in the Ascent? and is there a spare set underneath the top layer?

Yup. Glass stems are inserted. Tight fit too. There is a spare set under to top so I guess it's all copacetic in regards to the glass stems. Thanks.

jivebuggered

Iwien Your comment, "I really can't afford for my MJ bills to go up.........not even a little." Also retired and on fixed income, but Hawaii is med state & I grow my own so supply is no problem. Sure you don't have decimal point in the wrong place. I just weighted out 0.05 and can't imagine that lasting two days in any machine, unless it wasn't turned on. Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to answer your question and IMO I don't think the Ascent is capable of what you are asking. Convection you can make last and come back to my elbow hit in EQ are perfect example. Conduction bakes like an oven and for me is use it or lose it. Just not much to come back to. Still learning a lot and this is just my opinion.

Deadsea Like the idea of cotton keeping stem clean. Currently using jar w/ hole and larger hole. Like the way it sandwiches the herb between two hot plates as the walls of the jar really transfer heat to the bottom. (Hoping DV comes up w/ something like a mod jar w/ holes) Think I will now try loading the jar w/ cotton filter and hopefully end up with the benefits of both.

Clean it with some cotton and vape it! Does that work?

Experimenting is so much fun.

Does anyone have concerns wether it be organic or not, about vaping cotton and ANY residues that you might inhale??

jivebuggered,
Reactions: RD

nigel

Got it. Ok, two more questions. Look at the pick below. Looks like there some brown residue around that nub in the bowl. Is that normal?

Also, how far do you guys pull the glass rod out to use and does it matter?

One of mine had some black specs in it that took me a while to realize was in the glaze.
Q-tip+ISO. Does it wash?

I avoid the buddy rim. I don't like it. I'll pull the stem about halfway out, but honestly, I rather like using the 14mm adapter. It sticks just the right length out when its all the way seated, although you can pull it out further. I like the feel of it much more. So, instead of GonG, it becomes GonN(igel).
;)

I think the length will be a personal preference for how cool you want it.

lwien

One of mine had some black specs in it that took me a while to realize was in the glaze.
Q-tip+ISO. Does it wash?

Yeah, it washed up. Considering that the unit came fully charged, I'm thinkin' they did a pre-burn with some material as part of the final QC.

lwien

@lwien -- Okay. I measured out 0.05g. Turns out, that's more like a normal "pinch." Barely enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. I used the oil can with the lid, and compressed it. I then removed the oil can lid, but left the oil can in there. So, both compressed, then spaced with oil can.

With no holes in the bottom of the oil can, how does that work?

lwien,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I have to put enough under the can to keep it flush. If I pack a smaller amount, the can floats. That's with holes. Can only imagine the same stock. Vape must come up the sides. Heard someone else say can got sticky that way. Againn the need for holes.

RD,

nigel

With no holes in the bottom of the oil can, how does that work?

Air flows in from center of the bowl. Can't flow directly up because of oil can, so it flows sideways THROUGH your thin layer of product. Then it hits the walls, and travels up in the gap between the bowl walls and the oil can.

So, not only you got the thermal mass of the oil can in play, it also directs more air THROUGH the flower.

lwien

Great. Will give it a shot in an hour or so. Did a quick burn in at full power for about 5 min. Had that "new car" smell, but it almost gone now.

One thing I did notice is that when I set the temp to 385, it rose with the thermometer icon and then got the heated bowl icon in the display once the temp was reached. But then when I rose it to max for burn in, 430, the thermometer icon never came up, even for a second. Just the heated bowl icon stayed on. Same when I lowered the temp. Is this normal that the display doesn't change in regards to those icons with temp changes?

lwien,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Seems to be a larger blob of glass in the center of the jars, necessitating that the holes be put in the corners of the jar, if one is inclined to do that. Same idea, draws air to outer edge of oblong. Path of least resistance with solid jar may be up the side. Sooo many variables to try.

RD,

Forsaken

The unit I tested had both 1 and 3, and I never looked enough to comment on 2.

Careful listening on heat up often had expansion related sounds like you'd get from the home heater as it heats up, IMO normal and no big deal. The lens in the unit I tested would rattle a bit if held in the 'right' position (and I reported as much here), IMO no big deal but that's a personal call. IMO it's not 'right', but also not fatal.

Neither is unique to the unit in hand, my advice is to enjoy it.

OF

Thanks for your response. I kept testing it to see if there would be any difference. So far I'm not fully certain if it is expansion or not. I did test it at lower temperatures and there was no static/buzzing/cracking noise, but once it gets to mid 300°F and more then it starts up, kind of a crackling your of sound...

I guess my main question would be: if the sound is indeed expansion, wouldn't the sound stop if the device is on long enough at a high enough temperature?

Thanks for your input in advance.

JapeTheVape

Hey there,

I've been following this thread for ages now (and the pre release thread that ended up at a silly number of pages long!)

I was just wondering having ordered my ascent about a week ago to the UK, will it come with a UK power adaptor or will i have to buy one? If so, will i need a currency converter etc?

Last thing i'd want to do is have the thing turn up and A: not be able to use it B: fry it the moment i put it on charge!

Any ideas folks?

JapeTheVape,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Adapter US prongs
Labeled
Input: 100-240V AC 50-60 Hz 0.8A Max
Output: 9V DC 3000mA

RD,

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Thanks for your response. I kept testing it to see if there would be any difference. So far I'm not fully certain if it is expansion or not. I did test it at lower temperatures and there was no static/buzzing/cracking noise, but once it gets to mid 300°F and more then it starts up, kind of a crackling your of sound...

I guess my main question would be: if the sound is indeed expansion, wouldn't the sound stop if the device is on long enough at a high enough temperature?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Did you say "...static/buzzing/cracking noise" above 300*F? Is that what you've been hearing? I'd like to hear from a good number of Ascent users to determine whether this is common to them or not. For those who might think that I am calling into question a possible flaw, or that I'm on some sort of a witch hunt, I am not. Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Last edited:
Snappo,

Czechyourhead

NO static/buzzing/cracking noise" above 300*F, here. I've only played with 2 of these, but neither made any sounds.

Czechyourhead,
Reactions: Snappo
Hi,
I've had my unit for about 2 weeks now and used it almost every day. When I first got it, I let it run on 400 for about 5 min, and didn't see any smoke. There was the plastic/new vape smell, but that's pretty much gone now. I'm confident that this unit doesn't offgass, but I'm not 100% positive, and the thought of smoking unknown and possibly toxic materials freaks me out. Is there any way I could still test my unit for offgassing even though there is res now? Also, what would be some of the negative effects of smoking these unknown materials, how would I be able to know?

ascendedthoughts,

thesoloman

HI @ascendedthoughts, I would clean everything with 91% iso really well. Then crank it up to high and throw that ascent under light in a dark room. If you see any off-gassing smell it, you can probably decide if it is herd reside or plastic by smelling the gassing. The potential heath effect of the mystery vapor depends on what type of gas we inhaled. We have been told it was from silicone, which could be very bad for us if any free silicone enters our body, HOWEVER I doubt this happened. As we were just inhaling the off-gasings, which coming from silicone have a good chance that they may be toxic.. I feel the right thing to do would be have @Davinci_vaporizer send a few of the returned off-gassing units to have the composition of the gas checked in a lab, then make those results public, or if not public at-least share with the few that may have inhaled them. That would bring piece of mind.

Top Bottom