Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Stthings

You still don't get it. See that Staff Member banner on my avatar? That says I do have more say in than you do, and my say is that you don't get to make any more unwarranted accusations about toxins. You can say there is is an unknown gas that you don't want to inhale, but if you call it toxic again you get a point. Now do you get it?

I apologize oh mighty one

Poopman525

I also have to say, I got my stealth version in the mail today, I don't know if it's first wave of not. But it has a small blemish on the screen like my wood version, nothing that hinders the performance of the screen when it's on though. I didn't actually use the stealth one, but this too did NOT have the major issues other were describing. Perhaps I just got really lucky to get two good units. I don't know. I would consider myself a pretty good judge of the quality of vaporizers. and I have no reason to be biased. I just think people are overreacting a little bit, and some of you are just straight up looking to bash the Ascent and Davinci for reasons I'm not sure of. Especially by some people that don't even have it yet. All I know is this thing takes me to the level that my Plenty does, and that's about as good as it gets with a portable IMO. My ONLY concern at this point is the smoke/vapor burn-off, which might be completely harmless. The way I'm looking at this right now all in all. Money well spent. :cheers::chill::clap:

lwien

.... you don't get to make any more unwarranted accusations about toxins. You can say there is is an unknown gas that you don't want to inhale, but if you call it toxic again you get a point. Now do you get it?

Yup, I totally understand where you're coming from, Paka as there has not been any substantiated proof that the fumes that are emanating from an unloaded Ascent is toxic, but what concerns me is that it "could" be toxic. If it was just evaporating moisture, than that is, obviously, totally benign. But visible fumes that are coming from an unloaded Ascent for hours after initial burn-in means that there is something that is being heated up inside the Ascent and that the fumes are being generated by something internal, be it plastic, silicone, various coatings, wire insulation, rubber, etc. Whatever it is, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be breathing that deeply into my lungs for fear that it "could" very well not be a healthy thing to do. I just have a hard time fathoming how those fumes could be totally benign, but I'm open to the discussion of how that could be.

What could possibly be causing those fumes while at the same time, having those fumes being totally harmless?

(Having No2 flashbacks..........lol)

Would really like to hear from DV as to what could be causing this so all this speculation could be put to bed, but there's a very good possibility that even she doesn't know............yet.

I apologize oh mighty one

Even though I'm not a mod, I'd slap you with a warning simply because of that condescending comment. Wow......

Last edited:

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Won't be vaping with the Ascent again until this evening, but I have heated it up to 430 3x today and left it on for 5 minutes each time and there is zero emissions coming off of mine. I just had that initial burn-off the first time I fired it up and that is it. The chemical like smell is also gone except for a minute trace that I really have to concentrate to smell. One more bowl in this thing and that should be gone for good.:)

So for mine at least...nothing wrong with it except for the streak on the glass & that is not visible when turned on. I'll report back tonight after a full bowl. Last night was just a half bowl...:peace:

Stthings

Won't be vaping with the Ascent again until this evening, but I have heated it up to 430 3x today and left it on for 5 minutes each time and there is zero emissions coming off of mine. I just had that initial burn-off the first time I fired it up and that is it. The chemical like smell is also gone except for a minute trace that I really have to concentrate to smell. One more bowl in this thing and that should be gone for good.:)

So for mine at least...nothing wrong with it except for the streak on the glass & that is not visible when turned on. I'll report back tonight after a full bowl. Last night was just a half bowl...:peace:

Maybe it's just a matter of burning off whatever is in there. Time will tell

Stthings,

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
I just think people are overreacting a little bit, and some of you are just straight up looking to bash the Ascent and Davinci for reasons I'm not sure of.
That may be true, but I hope it doesn't diminish the real and serious issues some of us are having. Quality is obviously not consistent with this first batch, cosmetically or functionally.

Seriously, I wish you guys could feel how hot ours gets--I can't believe anyone would be comfortable using this for longer than three or four minutes.

Poopman525

That may be true, but I hope it doesn't diminish the real and serious issues some of us are having. Quality is obviously not consistent with this first batch.

Seriously, I wish you guys could feel how hot ours gets--I can't believe anyone would be comfortable using this for longer than three or four minutes.

I did say before I understand people that have serious flaws in their units complaining. Mine does get hot but it's nothing that would seriously burn me. I can actually touch the bottom most of the time without any discomfort at all. Do you let it sit long between hits? Taking consistent hits keeps it quite cool for me. If your unit is as hot as you say it is, perhaps yours is in way worse shape than mine. I'm just saying people are saying that this unit isn't working basically, and mine does, realllly well lol.

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Sam...

Yours definitely has a problem. If mine is behaving completely normal the way DV intended, (which so far it looks like a keeper), I have no problem holding mine and don't think I would if I left it on 430 for 20 minutes. It gets fairly warm on the bottom, but no more so than a decent hand warmer would....no fear of burning whatsoever...except for my pinky and that damn bowl...I know some of you know what I mean! :):nod:

Last edited:

sam reynolds

I did say before I understand people that have serious flaws in their units complaining. Mine does get hot but it's nothing that would seriously burn me. I can actually touch the bottom most of the time without any discomfort at all. Do you let it sit long between hits? Taking consistent hits keeps it quite cool for me. If your unit is as hot as you say it is, perhaps yours is in way worse shape than mine. I'm just saying people are saying that this unit isn't working basically, and mine does, realllly well lol.
We don't let it sit long at all.

Just started another session as I write this, and my delicious juicy fruit tastes like old calamari.

Going to try the sipping technique and see how that goes. (Though all I can think about right now is a low-rent seafood buffet....)

Glad yours works though! I'm sure this first batch has a range of issues, from negligible to serious to non-existent. Congrats on being one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
sam reynolds,
Reactions: Poopman525

mewash2

I cranked mine up to 430 and let it roast for 5 minutes. After a few minutes of herb residue burn-off there were no smells or smoke visible. I have the stealth unit and am still loving it. I hope the people who are having issues can get things worked out.

Poopman525

I cranked mine up to 430 and let it roast for 5 minutes. After a few minutes of herb residue burn-off there were no smells or smoke visible. I have the stealth unit and am still loving it. I hope the people who are having issues can get things worked out.

That's what I thought, there is a burn off of residue when your bowl is pretty much done. That's different than what other people are talking about I think, maybe not.

Poopman525,

zongo47

Accessory Maker
I got my Stealth earlier today and just tried it out.

My first impression is its a great size for a portable with long battery life (allegedly) and it was smaller than I thought it was going to be and WAY more portable than the SOLO despite how amazing the SOLO is. The very first thing I did was clean it 3 times with ISO and cotton swabs. I wanted to make sure if there was a weird taste it wasn't from lack of cleaning. There was a few spots where a small amount of glue was visible.

I noticed with the glass mouthpiece if I twist it slightly when its extended it tightens in place so it wont easily slip out if someone accidentally grabs it by the stem.

I did 1 cycle at 430 as a "burn off" cycle. This thing can heat up FAST.

I packed it moderately tight about 2/3 full. Then I turned it on and let it heat up to 385 and I got some visible clouds by my 2nd draw contrary to what several people have been experiencing, but a definite silicon taste and not the clean flowery taste I was hoping for. I took 10-15 second slow draws. After the cycle what was left was dark brown and cooked evenly.

I decided to test to see if my unit was off gassing that smoke and low and behold it is off gassing a pretty significant amount at 430.

If it wasn't for the weird smoke and a couple pretty minor cosmetic flaws I would say this is a great vape. If that went away I would be very satisfied with my Ascent, but that's a big drawback that makes it pretty much unusable. I am going to keep running cycles until (if) it stops offgassing. I would gladly exchange it for a new one if it was an issue with the first batch.

Murphy's Law, your a dick.

Stthings

How's your battery life doing? Mine seems to drain pretty fast

Stthings,

lwien

Glad to hear that the problems are not universal.

Just another reason NOT to get anything that is from the first production run. I think the units that Sticks got, along with some others, were pre-production units and therefore not subject to the variables that have been discussed here.

sam reynolds

Yes. Okay. Wow. Okay. It may taste like the bottom of a fisherman's foot, but it's definitely working. 15 minutes into the session and I'm feeling quite medicated...maybe more-so than I usually do with the Solo at this point.

Sipping made all the difference.

My instinct last night was to pull a continuous draw, but the working technique feels more like the MFLB.

However after a session at 385, the bottom is now uncomfortably warm. And my mouth tastes like expired smoked salmon.

Poopman525

Yes. Okay. Wow. Okay. It may taste like the bottom of a fisherman's foot, but it's definitely working. 15 minutes into the session and I'm feeling quite medicated...maybe more-so than I usually do with the Solo at this point.

Sipping made all the difference.

My instinct last night was to pull a continuous draw, but the working technique feels more like the MFLB.

However after a session at 385, the bottom is now uncomfortably warm. And my mouth tastes like expired smoked salmon.

Yeah, I'm thinking there has to be something wrong with yours. Mine never gets that hot, and never tastes that bad. What version do you have?

mewash2

I haven't taken the battery below half-charged yet. I took 3 long sessions to use half the battery.

Last edited:
mewash2,
Reactions: grokit

sam reynolds

Ok, now ya got me running down to Goldstein's for a New Yorker (Lox, toasted onion begal, cream cheese, tomato, red onion and capers). Damnit sam............

Well as long as you're there, you might as well pick me up one. ;)

Yeah, I'm thinking there has to be something wrong with yours. Mine never gets that hot, and never tastes that bad. What version do you have?
Stealth.

We cleaned everything we could with ISO, but there's still that black rubber thing right under the bowl we couldn't get to.

sam reynolds,

sam reynolds

Hmm, I'd swap the unit.
We're looking into it.

Now I'm wondering if maybe the temp calibration is off on ours. It could be heating up beyond the temp it's supposed to, heating materials beyond what they were tested for, and therefore janking up the taste and burning the hand.

[Edit: that's gotta be it...after that 15 minute sesh at 385, the AVB looks like what I'd get from the solo after a couple of sessions on 7. No wonder I'm so medicated...]

Will experiment with temps.

Ick...now my mouth tastes like a frisbee. :uhoh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom