Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Poopman525

It sounds to me like people are getting good results now, cosmetic imperfections aside. Was it Pappy that was talking about his glass straw sliding in and out really easily? My straw is nice and snug, doesn't slide too easily.

Poopman525,
Reactions: nigel

Pappy

shmaporist
If you were in my area code, I'd GLADLY drive over a unit, just to share on what you are missing out on. :)
Very nice gesture Nigel, appreciated brother! My favorite vapes, DBV, EQ, VXC, have all worked as designed as opposed to me having to settle. For every vape I liked there were many I tried and passed on. I'm keeping an open mind but this might not be the vape for me. If it's simply my unit I'll swap it for another. If others are chasing clouds they can't duplicate like those in the video then I'll have to return it for a refund.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
@Pappy

Here's how to test your unit:

1. Bring unit up to (what it thinks is) temp. [You might want to use some ABV so it's not running empty]
2. Run for at least a few minutes, as if a session.
3. Open bowl, and stir a bit.
4. Tamp down with pinky.

You can tell it is working if you follow up this procedure with "DAMMIT!!! HOLY FUCK!! NOT AGAIN!" and there is a small burn ring on the tip of your finger, then you know it is working.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
@Pappy

1. Bring unit up to (what it thinks is) temp. [You might want to use some ABV so it's not running empty]
4. Tamp down with pinky.

You can tell it is working if you follow up this procedure with "DAMMIT!!! HOLY FUCK!! NOT AGAIN!" and there is a small burn ring on the tip of your finger, then you know it is working.

I was gonna suggest the pinky tip test as well.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Pappy

shmaporist
@Pappy

4. Tamp down with pinky.

Pretty anecdotal test, LOL! The bowl is hot, vapor rises when I open it in mid session, and I could burn my pinky. What I'm getting is very sporadic, wispy vapor, late in the session. And I give it time to pre heat! Gonna give this another shot tomorrow and see what others experience as well. Now I'm gonna hit my Cloud.

thesoloman

Ok so i had a go with a full bowl of ABV from my solo's, i packed a full bowl in my ascent and then tamped it down with an oil jar. I turned it to 221c and had amazing results, didn't even taste bad and i got huge clouds! Im sure this vape can preform now, i can't wait till i have actual fresh flowers to throw in here. @exhaleclouds is gonna feel like an idiot when i show him how awesome this Ascent can be tomorrow:p (I can call him names cuz he's like a brother! 'nd i know him in real life so he can punch me in the eye if he doesn't like it {insidejoke})
@Pappy Try tamping it down with a oil jar and you may get some clouds.

PAZ

Didn't one of the early testers have a panel competely fall off?

Ours doesn't seem quite as bad as some of the others here are reporting. But then, as an Apple user, I'm used to a near seamless fit and finish, which is why I was disappointed with my first impression.

If you're going to brand something as a "luxury vape," it better be as close to seamless as possible...maybe we'll be able to swap out once they get these issues under control. I have a feeling this may have been a rush job to quiet all the complaining.

Even apple has it's flaws, the difference is theres a lot bigger consumer base so the chances of hearing about it is slimmer. One of the major ones with the iPhone 5 release was the aluminum bumper was scratched upon opening it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5-problems-what-users-complain-about-the-most/
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...duction-to-address-aluminum-scratches-1103440

PAZ,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Ok so i had a go with a full bowl of ABV from my solo's, i packed a full bowl in my ascent and then tamped it down with an oil jar. I turned it to 221c and had amazing results, didn't even taste bad and i got huge clouds! Im sure this vape can preform now, i can't wait till i have actual fresh flowers to throw in here. @exhaleclouds is gonna feel like an idiot when i show him how awesome this Ascent can be tomorrow:p (I can call him names cuz he's like a brother! 'nd i know him in real life so he can punch me in the eye if he doesn't like it {insidejoke})
@Pappy Try tamping it down with a oil jar and you may get some clouds.
I have also been getting my best results evenly packing it with the oil can. Just squeeze it down tight, pop it back out, close it and start at about 385. Because of the glass it holds it's flavor for quite some time compared to some other portables.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Pretty anecdotal test, LOL!

Heh... yeah your unit is not right. But you aren't a true Ascent user (as @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd can attest) until you have pulled the bone-head maneuver of burning yourself, in a failed attempt to tamp... not once, as that is a "gimme", but repeatedly.

In the future, I expect that is how Ascent owners will greet one another: With some secret handshake that shows the callouses on the pinky from repeatedly forgetting what "hot" means.

:rofl:

---------------

@thesoloman Glad you are getting great results!

EDIT:
Ok so i had a go with a full bowl of ABV from my solo's, i packed a full bowl in my ascent and then tamped it down with an oil jar. Try tamping it down with a oil jar and you may get some clouds.

Okay... on your suggestion, I'm pulling ABV and using the Oil-Can-Compression. Wish me luck. If you don't hear from me... well... then it worked, didn't it.
:0

nigel,
Reactions: Snappo

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
That could be the tool!!!!! We need a little heat proof pinky condom to tamp the load back down without burning ourselves! Lol:rofl: but seriously I've burnt myself like 6 times in less than 24 hours! Lol

grokit

well-worn member
All this has to do for me is out-perform the pax, which is my battery-operated portable vape benchmark at this point. About that keif, do you guys think I can do it straight out of an oil jar, or do I need to make a herb sandwich? Asking because all of a sudden there is no herb anywhere, bad timing or what.
:doh:

Last edited:

Medical Mark

Well I have 2 tracking numbers a burl wood and stealth it will be nice to see the differences and quality between the 2 units.
Sounds like its working well for most users, clouds ae possible and a god water tool should work nicely.
I'd love to try it with a new turbine bubbler.lol
Soon enough I guess, ill be posting video after the weekend to compare with what others have reported.
I gave lots of herb and some oil to throw in it, no limits.
Medical mark

Skulduggery

My stealth arrived in perfect physical condition and it hits perfect vapor at lower temps 370-375 with packing the bowl tight (a plastic wire connector works great for packing). I was completely in love with it until...

I am on side with Notorio. The Ascent is not a pure GonG. there is silicone rubber both above and below the bowl. This rubber is bordering the heat source and thus the rubber may be heating up as much as the bowl. What I am currently investigating is the risk of toxins being released by the rubber at high temperatures. Perhaps DV could share what the seals are made out of?

Yes stu, it is misleading to call the Ascent pure GonG. Sealing the pathway from outside air with silicone is feasible while maintaining an all glass path, which is not happening with the ascent. I own only pure GonG and sadly may need to sell this beautiful Ascent for unknown health risks of breathing heated silicone vapor.

Again, our definition of "zero emissions" differ. You can call it a "lessened emissions" vehicle if you like. I'm good with that. "zero emissions" to me is a goal, not a scale.
:peace:

The Prius, which i own, is accurately described as a Partial Zero Emissions. When solely running on the battery (like in EV mode) the car is emitting ZERO EMISSIONS. When the engine turns on in combination, the car is emitting emissions. Thus a partial Zero Emissions car. The Davinci Ascent, which I type with a tear, is a PARTIAL GLASS ON GLASS PATHWAY. Sad fact, but true.

grokit

well-worn member
I too would like to know the temperature rating is of the silicone rubber that is exposed to the vapor pathway, so we can know whether there is any risk of the rubber reacting to the vapor. Also what is the pace that this temperature rating, and this material in general will break down over time? Especially after all of the user reports that it was releasing off-gasses upon unboxing/initial use.

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: Kief

thesoloman

I can attest to the toxicity of silicon in the body, my mother just had her implants removed and 3 lyimphnods removed because silicone had leached from them, and Dow who made the silicone in them said they were "safe" @Davinci_vaporizer I would like to know exactly what brand and formulation they used on the silicone the ascent, and have a MSDS for all components in the line of heat/vapor?

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The Prius, which i own, is accurately described as a Partial Zero Emissions. When solely running on the battery (like in EV mode) the car is emitting ZERO EMISSIONS. When the engine turns on in combination, the car is emitting emissions. Thus a partial Zero Emissions car. The Davinci Ascent, which I type with a tear, is a PARTIAL GLASS ON GLASS PATHWAY. Sad fact, but true.

I'm also a PZFH (Partial Zero Farting Husband). There are plenty of times when I'm not farting in bed. I don't recall of any off hand, but I'm sure there have been occurrences.

As to Glass On Glass, the Cloud still touts this even though there is a stainless steel ELB in the mix. This doesn't stop me from enjoying it one bit.

:peace:

grokit

well-worn member
If it's high-purity silicone, rated 500°f or higher it's probably okay.

But it's definitely not all glass.

However, as long as it works and isn't toxic I don't give a fuck. After all the sublimator doesn't really sublimate and I enjoy the shit out of it.

:science:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
The glass bowl should have spilled over the top around where it's at now. Then the top silicone seal would just seal against glass. That gap would be so small and the screen would be so close. I think that would've worked better. Silicone could've sealed against glass just as well as it does more silicone.

Basically all the silicone seal on the heating chamber end of the ascent could've been all glass.

Skulduggery

First, thesoloman, the old silicone mishaps used in the boob jobs is not a factor with rubber. The bad implants were due to reasons outside of our focus.

My Silicone Rubber Partial Good news (partial because it is not all good news until we know it's safe). Silicone rubber is thermoset, which means the silicon cannot de polymerised from heat (heat cannot break the cured bond) unlike thermoplastic. This is good because if the silicone could break the bond, it can generate Formaldehyde when exposed to temps above 300 degrees F. So that is good. It would be All good if DV could tell us what the rubber sealant is, so we could research potential health risks of heating this rubber up to 400 or more degrees.

BTW---Agreeing with Stu, I love this thing. It tastes awesome, it's the closest tasting vape to my super vapzilla, which is all glass with precision temp, but more than double the cost of the Ascent.

I just want to avoid hearing from a cancer doctor 5-10 years from now, "did you have excessive exposure to breathing in silicone, in particular silicone rubber?" My response, "Well, yes, every damn day for a year...but then I quit after my Ascent batteries died."

Last edited:

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Spent some time with the Ascent tonight.

The bottom of the unit doesn't just get hot....it gets somewhere between uncomfortably and painfully hot. I last used it an hour ago and the pinky-side of my palm is still smarting.

We're also running into an issue where the Ascent will turn itself down. Not off--the temperature will decrease and there's no way to turn it back up without turning it off and on.

I definitely needed the screen with it. Even with no grind at all, I was getting flecks of herb in my mouth. So I used the comically long GonG with the WT, and now the WT is full of flecks.

I'm medicated, but I ended up using more herb for less effect. This is definitely a higher-maintenance vape than the Solo. Will try to use some of the tricks you guys have posted for next time. In the meantime, I remain skeptical but optimistic. Though I'm not sure how to avoid burning my hand. I guess I'm "holding it wrong." :\

Rexxe

If you don't want the silicone, why not just remove the seals? I'm sure it's fairly easy to do as I look at my Ascent. Nothing a pair of needle nose pliers can't resolve.

Honestly, if you guys live in a major city (e.g. LA), the air you breathe is probably way worse anyway :)

Rexxe,
Reactions: JCat

Skulduggery

If you don't want the silicone, why not just remove the seals? I'm sure it's fairly easy to do as I look at my Ascent. Nothing a pair of needle nose pliers can't resolve.

Honestly, if you guys live in a major city (e.g. LA), the air you breathe is probably way worse anyway :)
Clean upstate new england air, which is why i'm paranoid. And I like ur idea, but what about the large one under the bowl and behind the grill?

Spent some time with the Ascent tonight.

more for less effect. This is definitely a higher-maintenance vape than the Solo. Will try to use some of the tricks you guys have posted for next time. In the meantime, I remain skeptical but optimistic. " :\

huh...is it ur technique? because it's been the opposite here, more effect w/ less...make sure it's packed, use a round plastic thing u have around the house to pack it. I'm using one of those plastic thimble looking wire connector nuts. remember what nigel, or someone said earlier, treat it like sipping a good port. I've only used small amounts too, 3/4 of bowl is empty ... wow tis hard to type cos of session while posting. Silicone sillycone, who cares, this Ascent rocks.

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Clean upstate new england air, which is why i'm paranoid. And I like ur idea, but what about the large one under the bowl and behind the grill?

huh...is it ur technique? because it's been the opposite here, more effect w/ less...make sure it's packed, use a round plastic thing u have around the house to pack it. I'm using one of those plastic thimble looking wire connector nuts. remember what nigel, or someone said earlier, treat it like sipping a good port. I've only used small amounts too, 3/4 of bowl is empty ... wow tis hard to type cos of session while posting. Silicone sillycone, who cares, this Ascent rocks.
Does the bottom portion get super hot for you? I can't bear to touch it when it's on...and my huge Lana hands really want to hold it there.

We've been tamping as hard as we dare with the oil jars. Maybe we're both drawing too hard. The solo has conditioned our lungs...

Top Bottom