Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Tweek

Exactly so. It is not aimed at longest battery life. In fact, the cynical might say that they're quite happy if you want to buy a replacement? They just don't want a bunch of complaints that their 'gas gauge' doesn't work right......

Thanks.

OF

That is actually a great way to look at it. The batteries for my camera gear, always go onto the charger after every shoot. Also have a chip built in to protect against complete drainage, etc...I have never done any sort of calibration and they work like new, after countless hours of filming.

lwien

I agree with the first part (don't run them flat) but not the second (you should do so once a month anyway). Can you please point to an example or two of "everything" that says so? TIA. Not only don't I recall this advice for Li-ions (although it's common for some classes of NiCds), but I don't understand how something you shouldn't do 29 days in a month is recommended on the 30th......

My advice remains fully charge before initial use, don't run them flat ever, and consider changing your routine (not over or under charging) if you want the maximum number of 'cycles' after educating yourself on these specific battery types. All batteries are not the same.

OF

I had to correct something. It's not once every 30 days, but once every 30 charges. Thanks OF. I never would have double checked that if you didn't point it out.

Check out the links I posted above in regards to the suggestion to totally discharge them once every 30 charges.

Of course, like anything else, that info could be challenged.

grokit

well-worn member
Thanks for the info Max, but in regards to the silicone seal or the silicone used in the oil jars, the temps in the Ascent could very well go over that 400 degree mark, eh?

There are high-temperature silicones that can withstand 500° f or higher, many are rated at 525°.

The question, again, is what is the rating of this silicone!

PS: Thanks for weighing in with the "executive summary" OF, even if your post was a tad condescending I suppose you're the closest thing we're going to get to a polymer engineer around here.

:peace:

Last edited:

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
From everything that I have read about extending the life of lithium batteries, it's best not to allow them to totally discharge before recharging them, however, one total discharge every 30 days is a good thing.

The last link is pretty technical, but really comprehensive.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/
http://osxreality.com/2009/07/18/4-tips-to-extend-your-lithium-battery-life/
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

lwien,

Someone posted on here somewhere that a good practice for the batteries would be to:
  • charge them fully & discharged completely the first 3 times
  • then, try to keep the charge between about 30-80% post of the time
  • do that full discharge once a month or so.
For those that know battery's...is that sound advice with the Ascent or would a different regimen be called for?

Shrike,
Reactions: Snappo

Tweek

lwien,

Someone posted on here somewhere that a good practice for the batteries would be to:
For those that know battery's...is that sound advice with the Ascent or would a different regimen be called for?

Sounds like a good way to drive yourself nuts. My approach is to simply plug my device in after I am done for the day. Try not to drain it down past 50% all the time, and you are good to go.

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
@sam reynolds Hi Sam to your question about the size of the RYOT case. I own the RYOT smell safe headcase and can confirm it fits my Solo and 2 PVHES stems in. Hope that helps as I know you already have the Solo.
That does help--and sounds like too much extra room inside for the Ascent. Maybe we'll experiment with a krypto and try gutting it ourselves.

Still looking around for an IR thermometer, but in the meantime, compensating about 30°-40° makes a huge difference, and taste is improved markedly.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I have seen the once a month suggestion from Apple for their laptop batteries. It apparently helps reset the digital life display (percentage left), which can become inaccurate. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but it is still suggested to this day.

Edit: Here is a link. They say every few months. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
One more note, they only recommend this for Mac laptops purchased before 2009. Later models switched to a non-removable battery (like the iPod and iPhone started… one of their many recent slashes at this old Apple fan's heart), and they don't recommend the procedure for their more current model laptops.

Last edited:

OF

As a guy with a modest understanding (but happy to back it up) I'll agree with the fist part of the first point (fully charge before first use), but not the second half (never fully discharge without a compelling reason). The second is, I think, qualified good advice if you want maximum service life, although some might differ with the exact numbers. Again, the last is not a good idea IMO (subject to the 'calibrate the meter' need).

So FWIW I guess I agree with exactly half?

No matter what you do, the battery won't last forever. But IMO no need to hasten it's demise?

One more note, they only recommend this for Mac laptops purchased before 2009. Later models switched to an iPhone-like non-removable battery (one of their many recent slashes at this old Apple fan's heart), and they don't recommend the procedure for their more current model laptops.

Interesting. Given the chemical nature of the battery didn't change, one is left with the idea that on earlier models they sell more battery packs, on later ones incur more warranty service costs?

In any event, if you want it to last as long as possible, I'm still of the opinion that full discharges are not good.

OF

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
There are high-temperature silicones that can withstand 500° f or higher, many are rated at 525°.

The question, again, is what is the rating of this silicone!

Also, what is the quality control on the silicone being produced? Even if the specification is correct, that doesn't mean every factory batch is within spec. Communicating with production is an effort -- i had a hell of a time just getting some glass tubes cut to my spec.

grokit

well-worn member
My battery experience has been interesting. I let it charge for like 11 hours initially, the charge indicator was never full but I pulled it off and did a few burn-off sessions from 420° to 430°, maybe 15 minutes altogether mostly at 430°. Then I left it on the charger for the rest of the night. This morning it still wasn't full, so I disconnected it and turned off the master power switch and plugged it back in and viola!, battery full. Then I did a few more burn-offs this morning just for good measure.

On an extremely positive note, I am not getting any significant outgassing out of my unit! I am quite sensitive to toxins, and I put my nose right up to the unit and sniffed around open and closed when I had it up to max temp for a while burning off, even did a brief inhale through the tube and I don't know what to say. There was no smoke at all and hardly any taste/smell coming out of my ascent.

I also re-scrubbed the silicone parts and vapor pathway with 99% iso and there was still no visible residue to be cleaned after burn off. I am officially NOT concerned about toxins coming out of my unit anymore.

Either there is some extreme manufacturing variance going on here or there are indeed some questionable impressions posted, because you guys should know by now that if I thought there was a problem with my unit in this respect, that I would not be shy at all about sharing that with you guys.
:2c:

That does help--and sounds like too much extra room inside for the Ascent. Maybe we'll experiment with a krypto and try gutting it ourselves.

Still looking around for an IR thermometer, but in the meantime, compensating about 30°-40° makes a huge difference, and taste is improved markedly.

Sam I'm really surprised that you never combusted in your earlier use,
you must have been vaping at close to 450°f :o!

Last edited:

JoeKickass

Yeah I think running the batteries down to "calibrate the gauge" seems like running your car out of gas every few tanks just to check that the needle is ok. IMO it's smarter to keep your batteries topped up anyway, "just in case"

quit eating chicken tikka masala
The ultimate sacrifice!

notorio

Exactly so. It is not aimed at longest battery life. In fact, the cynical might say that they're quite happy if you want to buy a replacement?

I will say this: the old Macbooks allowed the battery to be removed by the user, and it could be used with just the charger in order to preserve the life of the battery. The new Macbooks do not allow the user to remove the battery, or to bypass the battery in any way.

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
Sam I'm really surprised that you never combusted in your earlier use,
you must have been vaping at close to 450°f :o!
It's entirely possible, and may account for some of the taste I was getting--and is probably why the unit kept shutting itself down.

Here's one annoying thing discovered during last night's session: it's dangerously unstable to stand upright, but when laid flat, the herb pack dislodges and requires repacking before the next hit. We'll be looking into cotton soon.

I'll probably start experimenting with some sort of stand or base--not only to keep the herb where it needs to be, but so I can use the Ascent with a WT without taking it apart every time I want to set it down. A modified iPhone dock could come in handy...my queendom for a 3D printer...

Last edited:

OF

Good reference, thanks. Notice, please, two things of import to us (remember it's written mostly from a laptop POV). First off:

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last."

This says to me 'never deep discharging is better than doing so'.

Also notice things like:

"Most Li-ions are charged to 4.20V/cell and every reduction of 0.10V/cell is said to double cycle life. For example, a lithium-ion cell charged to 4.20V/cell typically delivers 300–500 cycles. If charged to only 4.10V/cell, the life can be prolonged to 600–1,000 cycles; 4.00V/cell should deliver 1,200–2,000 and 3.90V/cell 2,400–4,000 cycles. Table 4 summarizes these results. The values are estimate and depend on the type of li-ion-ion battery."

and

"Tables 2, 3 and 4 look at cycle life as a function of discharge, temperature and charge level."

Those tables, much as some have trouble following such data, have great insight if you study them a bit I think.

I continue to believe the two best things you can do to prolong the battery service life are to limit (or better yet avoid completely) deep discharges and not fully charge. Doing so should let you double, triple or more the lifespan. Keeping them cool is good too, but mostly past our control here.

In the end they will die if nothing else in the vape does first. No need to rush that, and hopefully the replacement will be easy and cheap when the time comes.

OF

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
@grokit Which unit do you have? (If you've said, I've forgotten. Apologies.)

@Reveen @Shrike You both have Burl, correct?

Exactly so. Guys fishing for 'documentation' to back up their guesses should be a little careful here. We're not talking about implanting the silicone or breathing the dust of the mica. But rather the fumes/vapors from them under heat.

OF -- Top notch post, good sir.

But one point of clarification to everyone: I wasn't clear before, and the issue was NOT with mica before (which wasn't in the air path but in the insulation), but with impurities *IN* the mica that were being burned off.

Once DV started better burn off at the factory, no new units had the problem. (And I believe all the users either burned theirs off or swapped out for new units.)

[And, again: Don't think that is issue here with the problem Ascent units. Right now, my money is still on an errant piece of the black stuff.]

grokit

well-worn member
Makes sense to me, Shrike. The stealths were probably the first off the assembly line, after all they were the only model available on the first order day.

grokit,
Reactions: nigel

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Burl for me, Nigel

I'm thinking most or all of the Burl's are not having the extreme problems? Or am I off on that...?

That's where I was going. Both my unit and the other unit I tested were burl.

Makes sense to me, Shrike. The stealths were probably the first off the assembly line, after all they were the only model available on the first order day.

You have a grand point here.

It's mandatory to also purchase a monocle with every Burl Ascent.

It's actually included in the box in the foam under the set of extra stems.

Rexxe

Ok, so I also have been running cycle after cycle to get rid of the mysterious off-gassing and I'm having no luck. It's almost like it's getting worse and the smell is starting to bother me. I was able to get a decent video of it for those that need reference or doubt its existence.

AscentiaL

I got my stealth Ascent on Thursday. Aesthetically, the only real issue is the film and scratching behind the LED (was glad to hear I'm definitely not the only one). No problems with function, it definitely works. No toxin taste, but i haven't done any burn offs. I think i may have one of the non problem units...

AscentiaL,
Reactions: nigel

lwien

It's mandatory to also purchase a monocle with every Burl Ascent.

And it has to be a Borg monocle available at Borgsrus.com.

Or, one of these for the ladies:

j899.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom