Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Norcalsun

Received my 14mm straight water adaptor today. I have immediately noticed an improvement on the draw ,thicker hits, and a better feel to it. I was leery about getting this ( mainly because I thought it was over priced ) but finally after many great reviews I decided to pull the trigger. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting the Pinnacle Hydrotube. Would love to hear from anyone using the Hydrotube or the F-Bomb Bubbler. I'm mainly looking at the Hydrotube because it can be bought for a lot cheaper than the FB. For right now I'm very happy with the adaptor, it was money well spent.

CheeseHead

Received my 14mm straight water adaptor today. I have immediately noticed an improvement on the draw ,thicker hits, and a better feel to it. I was leery about getting this ( mainly because I thought it was over priced ) but finally after many great reviews I decided to pull the trigger. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting the Pinnacle Hydrotube. Would love to hear from anyone using the Hydrotube or the F-Bomb Bubbler. I'm mainly looking at the Hydrotube because it can be bought for a lot cheaper than the FB. For right now I'm very happy with the adaptor, it was money well spent.

In the short time I had a working ascent, i pretty much ONLY used it with the pinnacle bubbler and the 14mm water tool adapter. Love the smoothness and coolness of it compared to the regular mouthpiece, also seemed to be able to pull massive clouds with the bubbler that had me coughing like a good old bong if i so desired.

Think my replacement should be here today, along with my replacement solo, then I can get back to uhhh, "reviewing and testing" both :)

Norcalsun

I can't believe how much better this thing hits using the WT adaptor for a mouthpiece. It just re- enforces the need to address the air leaks. My unit hits and draws much more like a normal pipe, no more taking tiny puffs and loooong slow hits. I can draw on it stronger and quicker, makes it much more enjoyable. I should have gotten the adaptor a long time ago.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I really enjoy using the gong or the Eds Wong with my Ascent. I agree it has a nice feel and a better draw IMO. Nigel is the one that first mentioned using the Gong. Where else are you going to get these snip - its of info. The household hints of vaporizing.

I don't use WTs with my Ascent but I do with my Solo. Check out the cheap glass thread on FC. Good quality knock offs.

Good luck and happy vaping.

CarolKing,
Reactions: KeroZen

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I can't believe how much better this thing hits using the WT adaptor for a mouthpiece. It just re- enforces the need to address the air leaks. My unit hits and draws much more like a normal pipe, no more taking tiny puffs and loooong slow hits. I can draw on it stronger and quicker, makes it much more enjoyable. I should have gotten the adaptor a long time ago.

Hehe, glad to hear it!. A long stem pressed firm against the bottom of the device makes the Ascent perform MUCH better. Have you tried lifting the stem 0.25inches away from the base? you'll notice the performance mimics the standard glass stem mouthpiece

For what it's worth, I have the PNWT knockoff - I like the concept of a WT, but don't use mine in reality all that often - I find it awkward to crane my neck like that to use the Ascent, and the vapor production isn't the best compared to my other vapes through water (though I normally start very low around 340F, so that may be why, I should probably try a fresh session at higher temperatures).

When I'm looking for water filtration, I prefer my other vapes, when I'm looking for portability, I use my Ascent dry (with the stock mouthpiece, sadly)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I tried using the the Pinnacle Pro WT with my Ascent. It just felt too awkward IMO. You would have to decide for yourself. The problem is the Ascent doesnt stand alone unless you buy a stand from somewhere like Ratchett, he sells them.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
The problem is the Ascent doesnt stand alone unless you buy a stand from somewhere like Ratchett, he sells them.

Thanks for the shout out - Actually I've been using this bad boy for the past month and LOVE the design. I can't wait to add this stand to my store - it's a charging and loading dock all in one!
OimHBBt.jpg

virtualpurple

Received my Ascent replacement yesterday, how sweet it is to be reunited. Love my Haze and FM, but I have missed my ascent dearly.

Took a few puffs on it with the standard stem, then went to see Dawn of The Planet of The Apes...the Ascent certainly kept me nice and toasty for the movie. Had the theater been emptier I would've considered using it inside, but I am never certain how much odor any of my vapes put off, and I don't want to annoy anyone.

At home last night after trying out my new Herbalizer (thanks to massdrop), I pulled out my Ascent with the F-bomb to go a little longer while my girlfriend slept. Love it so much. I know some people don't care for using the water tools, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

I had not received a return shipping notification from DaVinci, but I don't have any gripe with that, I think that is bound to happen every now and then.

The only issue I've had was that there was a tense minute or two that my ascent didn't want to swivel open. I think that the glass stem have dropped down a little bit or something, I don't have any other suggestion for what caused the resistance. But once I got it open it was smooth sailing.

I have traditionally always placed a few screens in the bottom, laid in my material, tamped it a little, and popped a couple screens on top. Trying to layer multiple screens can be a pain in the booty sometimes so I opted to trim up one of the conduction screens from my Haze vaporier, now I have a longer screen that I can push in to the bottom of the ceramic bowl that stays in place, it will stay put until I remove it with tweezers or a pick. I also put a screen on top. However, its harder for me to place a top screen without interrupting the material. I would like to have an even bigger chunk of screen material and trim it out slightly larger than the ceramic down that will rest on the silicone. Dunno where I'd find a screen large enough to accommodate though.

I will tonight perhaps experiment with using the silicone cap from the oil jar and just setting that on the herb. If it restricts the draw too much I'll look into adding some small holes to it and see if that improves things.

VP

CheeseHead

I tried using the the Pinnacle Pro WT with my Ascent. It just felt too awkward IMO. You would have to decide for yourself. The problem is the Ascent doesnt stand alone unless you buy a stand from somewhere like Ratchett, he sells them.

Mine does stand with the Pinnacle water tool, however a slight knock would have everything crashing down...

Hehe, glad to hear it!. A long stem pressed firm against the bottom of the device makes the Ascent perform MUCH better. Have you tried lifting the stem 0.25inches away from the base? you'll notice the performance mimics the standard glass stem mouthpiece

I got a replacement ascent yesterday, and one set of the standard mouthpieces is nearly completely airtight, even while extended nearly full length, and mimics the use of the long water tool adaptor stem.

The other set (spare) that came with my ascent, is actually very loose fitting, like my original mouthpieces (both sets), and are pretty much useless when compared with the proper, tight fitting ones.

So I have been reading this thread for about 100 pages, over the course of the past couple weeks. I found it like many others; when I received my Ascent about a month ago, I had many questions- which led me here via Google.

I have to say, it has been a fun, long, strange trip. All the regular posters on this thread have helped encourage my personal enlightenment towards the vaporizing alternatives. The DaVinci Ascent is my first.

My unit has been pretty flawless luckily, and I believe in doing a cleaning almost daily along with frequent charging. Usually I can totally cleanse the 'snorkel stem' with just the blasting hot water from my bathroom faucet. The cleaning routine is becoming quicker each day.

After a week or two of questionable sessions, I finally mastered both the packing as well as 'sipping' techniques. You will notice a change- "cloud city". I like a clean unit, use a Sweetleaf grinder (medium-ish), only top notch herb, with usually a wax/shatter/bubble hash core:NO OIL CAN.

I simply grind up a large bowl, pack half, top with concentrate, pack rest and shut the bowl. The herb absorbs the melting oil or hash and I get results as low as 360-370F(with noticeable hash flavor along with herb).

The proper way to take the hit seems to be an extended, controlled sip- as slow as possible- with a slight increase in pull towards the end of the draw, similar to clearing a pipe. The longer and more drawn out the hit, the more I cough. I like temps from 350F- 420F. Whoever mentioned blowing the spent puck out while still hot saved me a lot of trouble. Also, because I hit it so softly I never pull any ground material up through the stems.

I have experienced the "stuck oil can" as well as pushing the snorkel stem into the bowl while the Ascent is closed, making it unopenable. It turns out the essential tool for these situations are some medical forceps, like large needle nose tweezers.

I really like how intense the flavor quality is with this device, almost too pure of flavor. I had one friend take a taste and give me a worried look! I saw several posters wondering if the taste they were receiving was natural. It is great knowing I am at the forefront of human/cannabis experience, tasting more than perhaps any human before has.

This is truly a vape for the connoisseur, and it demands quality ingredients. You will surely taste whatever qualities you pack into the Ascent, almost magnified in comparison to combustion. It took some readjusting to become used to the difference in 'high', combusting vs. vaping. You do need to completely stop smoking for a while to change the brain sequences to allow for the full satisfaction from vaping.

I am for now very pleased with my first vaporizer, and plan on getting an eventual backup, most likely a different skinned Ascent. I am currently awaiting my cocobolo Wong, custom Ed stem. The new loading dock looks awesome two posts up, I think I really might need one Ratchett. Also the tamper tool is another item that seems to be missing from the original package, why didn't they give us a tool?

I am going to keep on with the herb/concentrate/herb sandwiches until I find a better method, so no glass flowers at this time. I will keep doing the slow long draw, but hope that the Wong will help diminish some of the tooth sensitivity I have been experiencing. So far the tooth pain and dry throat are the most noticeable side effects I get from the Ascent. I am really enjoying this new method of....enjoyment. Happy vaping

OF

I have to say, it has been a fun, long, strange trip. All the regular posters on this thread have helped encourage my personal enlightenment towards the vaporizing alternatives. The DaVinci Ascent is my first.

I am for now very pleased with my first vaporizer, and plan on getting an eventual backup, most likely a different skinned Ascent.

I am going to keep on with the herb/concentrate/herb sandwiches until I find a better method, so no glass flowers at this time.

First off, howdy! Welcome to the fun, glad you like your Ascent.

Your willingness to blame us with a straight face makes me think you'll fit right in........

By all means get a backup. You should always have a backup for mission critical gear, right? But I suggest a different sort of vape that you can enjoy for a 'change of pace' or different conditions. A nice VG perhaps? Or a Hammer, something able to do 'thicker' hits so you can explore that. In that same class is a personal fav, Vapman. All under $100. Or maybe a desktop? Expand your choices.

I'm glad you're happy with your current technique, but think you should reconsider trying the flowers. Ten bucks, easy to use or not. Cheap experiment, and you might like it even if only 'sometimes'. Consider I don't think in those 100 pages you'll find a single post saying 'I tried them, they're a waste of time'? Your call......but you could like it better that way?

Great post, good reading. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to 'hearing' about your continuing adventures.

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH

Your willingness to blame us with a straight face makes me think you'll fit right in........

By all means get a backup. You should always have a backup for mission critical gear, right? But I suggest a different sort of vape that you can enjoy for a 'change of pace' or different conditions. A nice VG perhaps? Or a Hammer, something able to do 'thicker' hits so you can explore that. In that same class is a personal fav, Vapman. All under $100. Or maybe a desktop? Expand your choices.

I'm glad you're happy with your current technique, but think you should reconsider trying the flowers. Ten bucks, easy to use or not. Cheap experiment, and you might like it even if only 'sometimes'. Consider I don't think in those 100 pages you'll find a single post saying 'I tried them, they're a waste of time'? Your call......but you could like it better that way?

Great post, good reading. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to 'hearing' about your continuing adventures.

OF
You have an avatar now!!! :D :D :D

CheeseHead

Yes, but it's not right. The original is a rectangle, the GD software did a 'pan and scan' on it rather than letterbox, and it won't let you go back!!!! Chopped up the text. Pretty lame, IMO, that there is no way to cancel out, don't you think? No way to preview?

I feel vindicated. It was a mistake.

OF
When i uploaded mine, it gave a little preview that allowed me to drag the image left and right to crop to a square in the exact position I wanted.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Yes, but it's not right. The original is a rectangle, the GD software did a 'pan and scan' on it rather than letterbox, and it won't let you go back!!!! Chopped up the text. Pretty lame, IMO, that there is no way to cancel out, don't you think? No way to preview?

I feel vindicated. It was a mistake.

OF
I can click through to your profile and see the full picture! Same with mine.

OF

When i uploaded mine, it gave a little preview that allowed me to drag the image left and right to crop to a square in the exact position I wanted.

Thanks very much, now you can read it (and I don't have to mess with editing it).

I can click through to your profile and see the full picture! Same with mine.

True enough, but I sure don't want to put every person who sees that and says 'what's he talking about this time?.......

Glad to be done with that part for another couple years......

Thanks guys.

OF

Norcalsun

Although I believe in keeping the Ascent clean I think cleaning it after every use is overkill. You might even be stretching and wearing out the silicon seals that your glass stems are inserted into. Just a thought.

Thanks OF for the welcome and insights, and thanks for reading. You are right, I would probably benefit from having two different vapes, and for around $100 that sounds pretty good.

You know I could just stroll into one of the headshops today and grab a couple glass flowers from the bowl for a couple bucks. How many flowers minimum does one typically use for one load? Will two work pressed down onto the top of the puck, or should I experiment with using more than that per load? If I like I can order a bag offline.

OF

Good morning Norcalsun. I only clean the Ascent after every two-four full length sessions, usually it is used this much in a single day. Does this still seem like overkill? I put a lot of hash through there.

Last edited:
hologramsam,
Reactions: CarolKing

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
You know I could just stroll into one of the headshops today and grab a couple glass flowers from the bowl for a couple bucks. How many flowers minimum does one typically use for one load? Will two work pressed down onto the top of the puck, or should I experiment with using more than that per load? If I like I can order a bag offline.

You're better off buying the glass flowers off ebay - I walked into my LHS after buying my Ascentfiguring I'd be willing to spend up to $0.75 or $1 per glass flower. When she told me it was $3 PER FLOWER, I laughed and told her I had just bought 50 for $8 off ebay the day before.

No way in hell am I paying 1900%+ markup for a tiny piece of glass, especially when you need 6 or 7 of them!

I guess my main blockage towards the glass flowers is the fact that I enjoy simply blowing the puck out into the trash can while hot, or onto the ground when outdoors. I really don't like touching the ABV. I am excited to see how they affect vapor production after reading SO MUCH about them.

CURRENT ODYSSEY: So I just realized how I haven't touched the glass oil jars in weeks, and one of them is still preloaded with a dual layering of hash and wax. It was waiting on me and then I landed upon the 'sandwich method' of packing without the jar and I never got around to giving the jars another go as intended by DaVinci.

I had problems initially with the jar lid popping off and lack of vapor I thought. So I decided "why not experiment again". I popped the jar in, which still had the lid sealed on, and put it around 410F.

The results this time were fantastic! Big clouds of pure taste until the end, ending on 430F. The heat never caused the lid to pop off either, which surprised me considering how full the jar was. It was a cleaner taste than the 'sandwich method' somehow.

I believe now that many of the jar lids are probably imperfect, and that the user might have to experiment to find their good lid if there is one in their set. I noticed one of my lids doesn't fit in as well and will pop itself off in the travel pouch. This little lid worked wonders, I just won't mix them up. I believe now that the Ascent CAN have success with concentrates in the oil jar, depending on the lid choosing by the user. That was delicious.

Last edited:

OF

I really don't like touching the ABV. I am excited to see how they affect vapor production after reading SO MUCH about them.

I dumped it into a metal mint tin when hot. The flowers 'fall out' of the AVB when hot, it's not really a big deal IMO.

By all means try it, it's the only way to decide if it's really for you. There's a lot of good folks here giving you advice to try it, you know what they say, 'eat more chicken, 10,000 coyotes can't be wrong'.

Regards.

OF

Norcalsun

Glad to hear someone got good results using oil/wax in the glass jars, maybe there is hope for vaping pure concentrates. Over cleaning might stretch the seals too much, resulting in air leaks. Not saying cleaning will cause this but I could see over time this could happen. That being said I clean my unit about every 2 or 3 weeks when using it 3 or more times per week.

Last edited:
Norcalsun,
Reactions: CarolKing
Top Bottom