Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Received my Ascent today (carbon fiber model). Merry Xmas to me! :)

Anyway, I've read the thread and appreciate the tips, as my first session was a humdinger! Very tasty vapor at 365 F. Nice blue vapor exhale. Cranked the bad boy up to 400, and experienced a noticeable difference.

Will get into it more tomorrow, but first try indicates this is a winner for me! Need to figure out the controls, etc... I basically ripped into it without reading the instructions, which alone indicates how cool and intuitive the vape is.

Did my 2nd ascent session today while Xmas shopping. And me likey! Seems to more thoroughly and evenly vape the load versus my Pax. Not here to knock my beloved Pax, just sayin...

Taste is very good. Loaded a mix of green crack, blue city diesel, and Girl Scout cookie. Very tasty.

See ya soon!

DanAndroid

Of no particular interest

I'm glad you're liking yours, mine definitely has me pleased!

Would you say you get more vapor with the glass beads than you do with the glass jar on top of the herb?

I've been hesitating to try glass filler as I've always thought it more difficult to remove from the ABV but since I'm usually dumping the ABV into the palm of my hand before dumping it into my ABV canister, picking out the filler shouldn't be that big of an issue.

It will be interesting to hear about your experience with the glass flowers you've ordered.

DanAndroid,

KeeKwai

Anyone got any thoughts about using steel wool as a filler? Steel conducts heats much better than glass or cotton.

What about placing it on the bottom of the bowl ... with herb on top? Would the cool air passing through the hot steel wool make an additional "convection" effect?

I dunno. I'll try it and report back.

KeeKwai,

jkwarrior200

Bro is there actually a special fan model or were you joking?

So my first question is when my vape was on I was hitting it at while I was hitting it it felt like the vaporizer was blowing air or something into my mouth and I am not sure if this is supposed to happen. It only happened it one session so far.

2. Can I fill the bowl up and start a session and take only a few hits, then turn the vape off and come back to they same bowl pack as earlier and just heat it up again?

Last edited by a moderator:
jkwarrior200,

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
No reason you can't fill the bowl up and use it off and on all day. Taste will begin to get worse as you heat and reheat constantly. My only suggestion is to open the bowl after a session to let it cool down a lot quicker before you stow it for awhile. That way you won't be dealing with a slow cool if it is closed...could lose a bit more of your vaping material that way...:2c::nod:

OF

Anyone got any thoughts about using steel wool as a filler? Steel conducts heats much better than glass or cotton.

I dunno. I'll try it and report back.

My advice is don't do it. First off, steel wool comes to you with oil on it. That's the reason you get steel wool not rust wool. I don't think you want to vape it up?

If you want to try, I suggest part of the concentrate pad from the Volcano. It's a stainless steel wire pad designed for the service.

Try if you want, pairs of the pads are available from the guys that sell Volcano parts:
http://www.planetvape.ca/volcano-solid-valve-liquid-pad-set.html
http://www.planetvape.ca/volcano-easy-valve-liquid-pad-set.html

Either version will work. The wire is woven into a tube, tease an end out and cut off what you want.

The glass flowers worked better than anything else I tested over the long haul (which is why I suggested them to start with......), but by all means test away. The flowers are easy to keep clean and reuse, not so metal mesh. I'd just avoid steel wool......and be prepared to swap the pad out when it gets full of ABV of course.

Good luck.

OF

vapecapz

My favorite method is herb with a flower packed in the centre, and a metal mesh that I've got cut so that it fits the bowl perfect with enough room to be able to use the Ascent tool to pop it out easily. This allows inhales as strong as you like (not that you should) without herb matter going into your mouth, and be able to keep the lower glass tube cleaner for longer. The con side, is that I lose that glass on glass exclusivity, but I feel the Ascent is worth enough that it can stand on it's own without that and the taste isn't that much different.

vapecapz,

Norcalsun

I received my glass flowers yesterday and I noticed after the first session that I was getting more vapor. I put 3 flowers, stem up, on the bottom, sprinkle bud, put a couple small flowers in, more bud, then I put 2 flowers, stems down, on top. They are a bit of a hassle to pick out of the ABV, but it's worth it. Ive also had good luck using the square glass beads. Those Volcano steel pads look interesting. I'm still doing a lot of experimenting so I can't say what's best. I need to try some different ways to vape kief and oils/waxes. I'm still very pleased with the Ascent. The taste has gotten much better now that its broken in some. I'm finding temps between 375F and 405F work best for me. I start with low temps and finish with high. I also get better vapor when the bowl is full as opposed to 1/2 full with the glass jar on top. Ill post back later after more experimenting. I haven't tried anything using Cotten yet.

My favorite method is herb with a flower packed in the centre, and a metal mesh that I've got cut so that it fits the bowl perfect with enough room to be able to use the Ascent tool to pop it out easily. This allows inhales as strong as you like (not that you should) without herb matter going into your mouth, and be able to keep the lower glass tube cleaner for longer. The con side, is that I lose that glass on glass exclusivity, but I feel the Ascent is worth enough that it can stand on it's own without that and the taste isn't that much different.

Are you worried that the metal screens might damage the glass lined bowl of the Ascent, or is that a non issue? I was thinking that by pushing the screen in and out of the bowl it might scratch it or possibly crack it. I'm not sure how delicate that bowl actually is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Norcalsun,
Reactions: OF

vapecapz

I don't know if that will be an issue, the screen is slightly smaller than the bowl however...so it shouldn'tb e an issue I hope.

vapecapz,
Reactions: Norcalsun

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't know anything about electronics or anything, but I would think you could damage your unit beyond repair if you put steel wool inside the oven of the Ascent.

CarolKing,

vapecapz

I don't know anything about electronics or anything, but I would think you could damage your unit beyond repair if you put steel wool inside the oven of the Ascent.
I'm not sure how since it would only be in contact with herb possible the glass screen and bowl.

vapecapz,

OF

They are a bit of a hassle to pick out of the ABV, but it's worth it. Ive also had good luck using the square glass beads. Those Volcano steel pads look interesting. I'm still doing a lot of experimenting so I can't say what's best.

Excellent news, glad you're having success. I found the best results with the flowers (I think it's a surface area thing, mixed well through the load?). I ended up dumping the ABV into a small metal tin some mints came in. A quick shake and the flowers are real easy to pluck out as you need them, even with my fat fingers.

The Volcano pads I thought did better than cotton but not as good as the glass flowers. And ABV fouled up the material quickly. I was able to burn it out by torching the pad, but that was an extra hassle and the flowers just gave more useful, consistent results.

Neat little product, IMO, takes some additional fiddling to get best results perhaps but it does put a smile on your face if you give it a chance......

Merry Christmas to all, with sincere wishes for a prosperous New Year.

OF

KeeKwai

Can someone post some pics of the flowers they're using? I'd never heard of the things until recently. Google searches only gets me images of huge things.

KeeKwai,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't know how to post pics yet. The flowers are glass screens for pipes actually. They are found on Amazon. They are tiny flowers with little stems.

CarolKing,

OF

Can someone post some pics of the flowers they're using? I'd never heard of the things until recently. Google searches only gets me images of huge things.

Try the photo at:
http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Tobacco...387936784&sr=8-1&keywords=glass+flower+screen

Run your mouse over the photo for close up.

There was a fellow a while back from Australia that found an EBay listing for about $15 shipped IIRC. They're also sold by dealers in the EC. Not all that common, but widespread it seems?

Good luck.

OF

Xzandar

Have had my Ascent 3 days. Came with glass liner/straw broken. Middle button sticks and LED screen won't light up. Customer service, from past experience dealing with them re: discount codes not working, are pathetic. It is definitely a great vape as far as toking goes and it feels well built, solid but components sub-standard. What quality control? It's going back.

Xzandar,

Osn Dosn

They're also sold by dealers in the EC.

Gave myself a hard time looking for EC dealers..nope. Azarius, the quite famous Dutch smart shop had them a while ago but not anymore.
So if anyone got a source over here that'd be great.

Ascent is on its way :razz:

Osn Dosn,
Top Bottom