Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I guess I'll just have to let it die with no charging to see how far I get on a charge.

IMO
Unless there is some sort of a safety cut off circuit to prevent full drain, I would highly recommend NOT doing this. Fully draining one of these batteries is the fastest way of killing them according to a friend who's into RC, and he is very battery savvy. They use special chargers and all, but these are basically the same type of batteries being used in RC, and these guys never fully discharge their batts.

mrbike

IMO
Unless there is some sort of a safety cut off circuit to prevent full drain, I would highly recommend NOT doing this. Fully draining one of these batteries is the fastest way of killing them according to a friend who's into RC, and he is very battery savvy. They use special chargers and all, but these are basically the same type of batteries being used in RC, and these guys never fully discharge their batts.
I hear what you're saying. thing is, battery meter on mine drops to around 1/5th after 20 mins. is it normal? should I RMA it? if I find out after two months that the batteries were shot right from the get go I won't get a replacement.

mrbike,

Baked55

Hey guys been lurking for awhile finally decided to make an account. Read through the whole thread and was set on getting the ascent. But the past couple days have been looking at the pinnacle pro and now not so sure. I was hoping someone with experiance using both could weigh in.
I'm looking for a good portable that has minimal smell and upkeep, good taste that will be good for out of the house and the supplement my eq for around the house. I have a fairly high tolerance so will need something that medicates effectivly.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. And I love this form. Helped me decide to get my eq and know it will do the same for my potable

Baked55,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Hey guys been lurking for awhile finally decided to make an account. Read through the whole thread and was set on getting the ascent. But the past couple days have been looking at the pinnacle pro and now not so sure. I was hoping someone with experiance using both could weigh in.
I'm looking for a good portable that has minimal smell and upkeep, good taste that will be good for out of the house and the supplement my eq for around the house. I have a fairly high tolerance so will need something that medicates effectivly.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. And I love this form. Helped me decide to get my eq and know it will do the same for my potable
Hey B-55 I was just about to start raving about the Ascent when I saw your post :tup: Here's my take. I have the Pinnacle (not the pro) with the water tool. It has amazing flavor. Very easy to load and easier to clean. The only thing I don't prefer is the connection of the mouthpiece to the body. Not a big deal to some but a bother to me. (That's why when I climb the Pinnacle I take the Pelican 1120 case to hold that and the water tool) Well, that being said, BUY THE ASCENT! Those people having issues with their units now BE CALM!!! ;) UMMMMMMMMMMMM! Davinci WILL make it right! I know it's frustrating (went through it with 2 Cera send-backs) But these companies stand by their products and you will love them! I wanted to say I just cleaned my Ascent, only for the second time, and WOW again! I pulled the two glass pieces out and looked into it again to find not a speck of res or anything. I dropped them in ISO and put in a new set. (I bought 2 Xtra glass sets just for this reason) I wiped the top and bottom parts of the unit with an ISO wipe and then popped the new glass in and Wa-Laa, Brand New! All of 30 seconds. If the bowl gets grimy it's nothing a good toothpick won't fix when it's hot . I'll let the glass soak for a few days and rinse with hot water and BAM Brand New! I love my Pax, but the upkeep, well, a little more. Plus the latter of your statement, This thing holds more weed and goes up to 430 deg which cooks it to coffee brown within 9 min plus custom timing with your settings and temps, trust me, get it!:tup:Then get the adapter and the Pinnacle Water Tool!! :rockon:I will definitely buy another Ascent when they have the custom color combos available (WhiteonWhiteonWhite) HAHAHA For those wondering, ShayWhiteGrow stems from Shay Whitey (Ice Cube's Three Strikes, and Wayne Grow (from the movie heat, when DiNero shoots his ass up:ko:):rofl:

I hear what you're saying. thing is, battery meter on mine drops to around 1/5th after 20 mins. is it normal? should I RMA it? if I find out after two months that the batteries were shot right from the get go I won't get a replacement.
My battery lasts 4 sessions (36 min) with a 370-2min, 390-4min, 420-3min cycle then it just hits half full. I charge it then:)

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Both units are new so the long run is yet to be seen.

I have both the Pinnacle Pro and the Ascent.

I use the Pinnacle Pro more than the Ascent because for me the Pinnacle gets me more medicated than the Ascent. The Pinnacle Pro in my opinion uses less herb to get me where I want to be.

They seem to both be smelly, but I think the Ascent smells more.

The Ascent gives the herb a better taste.

Yesterday I was using the Ascent and couldn't get anymore out of the herb. I took the herb out of the Ascent and put it in Pinnacle Pro and was able to get 1 more 8 minute session.

The Ascent is a beautiful unit. I have the black stealth. This is my second unit. The first one was loosing air at the latch and the beautiful deep purple trim was all scratched. This unit is better, I haven't used it a lot, as I said the Pinnacle Pro works better for me.

I bought the glass flower pipe screens for space and extra heat and this helps with vapor, I like to use 100% cotton to help fill up the bowl too. There seems to be more of a learning curve with the Ascent, I don't think I have it down yet.

There is no learning curve with the Pinnacle Pro and to make things better get the Water Tool.

I have had some trouble with the sleeve area of the Pinnacle pro (where the mouthpiece attaches).
I sent a unit back for them to fix the sleeve because it broke. I have 3 total Pnp a second unit has a crack by where the mouthpiece attaches.
I have an email to VaporBlunt. So far customer service has been good for me.
It works so well, even though there are some problems. I'm hoping VaporBlunt gets the problems solved.

There is a risk when being one of the first to purchase a new portable vape, especially one that has had and still has problems.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Davinci said it would work. I ordered a car adapter when I ordered my first Ascent in August. The cord is too short, it is difficult to use and i was very disappointed. Not that I would use while driving, but what about your passenger to use.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Both units are new so the long run is yet to be seen.

I have both the Pinnacle Pro and the Ascent.

I use the Pinnacle Pro more than the Ascent because for me the Pinnacle gets me more medicated than the Ascent. The Pinnacle Pro in my opinion uses less herb to get me where I want to be.

They seem to both be smelly, but I think the Ascent smells more.

The Ascent gives the herb a better taste.

Yesterday I was using the Ascent and couldn't get anymore out of the herb. I took the herb out of the Ascent and put it in Pinnacle Pro and was able to get 1 more 8 minute session.

The Ascent is a beautiful unit. I have the black stealth. This is my second unit. The first one was loosing air at the latch and the beautiful deep purple trim was all scratched. This unit is better, I haven't used it a lot, as I said the Pinnacle Pro works better for me.

I bought the glass flower pipe screens for space and extra heat and this helps with vapor, I like to use 100% cotton to help fill up the bowl too. There seems to be more of a learning curve with the Ascent, I don't think I have it down yet.

There is no learning curve with the Pinnacle Pro and to make things better get the Water Tool.

I have had some trouble with the sleeve area of the Pinnacle pro (where the mouthpiece attaches).
I sent a unit back for them to fix the sleeve because it broke. I have 3 total Pnp a second unit has a crack by where the mouthpiece attaches.
I have an email to VaporBlunt. So far customer service has been good for me.
It works so well, even though there are some problems. I'm hoping VaporBlunt gets the problems solved.

There is a risk when being one of the first to purchase a new portable vape, especially one that has had and still has problems.
I totally agree, it gets me totally medicated because it is conduction/convection, meaning, to me, the pinnacle performs as MUCH as you make it too:science: the Ascent, well, you have to draw ever so slightly to ploooom it up! Jea BOYEE!:peace:

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: Baked55

Smknbud

I have the Pinnacle and Ascent........and original Davinci and Solo.

Comments below are my personal experiences.

The Pinnacle by itself doesn't come close to the Ascent taste wise. Not by a long shot. The Pinnacle is harsh and the vapor way to hot with such a short path. Add the water tube to the Pinnacle vapor path and the hits are smoother.....with the taste being the same as before. I would reach for my original Davinci over the Pinnacle alone in a heart beat if I had to choose. Better taste and with the long snorkel, rather smooth. Both take small loads and medicate about the same. My Pinnacle will be re-gifted shortly. Never use it any more.

I would be remiss if I didn't add a comment about the Solo. It's darn near perfect, and amazingly versatile with all the adapters and doo dads, if all you wanted was a small home unit or something that didn't require discreetness on the go. It's a dependable little tank of a vape.

Still, when all is said and done, I reach for my Ascent 90% of the time now.

Quick edit: thru 12/2/13, Ascent accessories are 30% off with 30OFF coupon for those interested.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Everyone has different needs and likes when it comes to a portable vape. What is good for one person may not be what someone else is looking for. I have the solo too and it's been around for a while so you know what your getting with the solo. It's a great unit and you won't have to worry about it breaking or it stop working.

Get the glass unrestricted mouth pieces from planetvapes. In my opinion the original glass mouth piece is too restrictive. Check out the Solo forum for more info.

Last edited:

Baked55

Hey thanks for the advice. I would love to get a solo I have read so many good things about it. But it's just not what I'm looking for. I need something I can just slip in my pocket and not worry about stems.
Thinking im probablely gonna go for the ascent. The only thing holding me back is what I keep hearing about the pinnacle getting you more medicated. It is enough more that I should pick it over the ascent?

Edit:
Was also wondering if Toronto vaporizer would match the 30% off for accessories.

Last edited:
Baked55,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Hey thanks for the advice. I would love to get a solo I have read so many good things about it. But it's just not what I'm looking for. I need something I can just slip in my pocket and not worry about stems.
Thinking im probablely gonna go for the ascent. The only thing holding me back is what I keep hearing about the pinnacle getting you more medicated. It is enough more that I should pick it over the ascent?

Edit:
Was also wondering if Toronto vaporizer would match the 30% off for accessories.

I would get the ascent:)

mod note: Please be careful not to reply inside quote tags. Edited to move content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Flower Hardware,

Noob452

How close does the Ascent heat the material to the set temperature? If I set it to 390F will it actually heat the material fully to 390F or is there a decent difference between the heater temp and what the chamber actually warms stuff to?

What I'm mainly concerned about is that my material is high CBD, and CBD boils off at a higher temperature than THC (360F and 320F respectively). I'm worried that even with an Ascent set to 390-400F to make sure it all gets vaped, that it'll actually only get to around 350F and not release the CBD's as much as smoking or a better vape might.

Noob452,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The numbers aren't law. CBD will vaporize at slightly lower temperatures than what it's vape temp is.

Quetzalcoatl,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
How close does the Ascent heat the material to the set temperature? If I set it to 390F will it actually heat the material fully to 390F or is there a decent difference between the heater temp and what the chamber actually warms stuff to?

Pretty darn close... if you let it.

It is surprisingly accurate, but you have to understand that it takes time to get the full load to temp (and time for thermal recovery after draw).

So, although the display might read at temp, keep in mind it is being measured OUTSIDE of the load, and it takes time to bring the entire load (to the center) up to the same temp as the exterior. But it does so quite evenly in the process. [Also will note that the temp display won't drop after draw as it is NOT real-time temp.]

Of course things like size of load and other materials affect the time. Most people (I think judging from the posts I have read) don't load the bowl completely and might use some glass to better regulate temp. YMMV.

EDIT for no back-to-back:
CBD will vaporize at slightly lower temperatures than what it's vape temp is.

I don't understand this. What is "it's[sic] vape temp"? Isn't its vape temp the temp at which it will vaporize at? Therefore it (anything) will vaporize at the temp which is its vape temp.

So you are saying a tautological statement isn't true?

@Quetzalcoatl, am I missing some subtlety here and mis-reading this?

Last edited:

Noob452

Pretty darn close... if you let it.

It is surprisingly accurate, but you have to understand that it takes time to get the full load to temp (and time for thermal recovery after draw).

So, although the display might read at temp, keep in mind it is being measured OUTSIDE of the load, and it takes time to bring the entire load (to the center) up to the same temp as the exterior. But it does so quite evenly in the process. [Also will note that the temp display won't drop after draw as it is NOT real-time temp.]

Of course things like size of load and other materials affect the time. Most people (I think judging from the posts I have read) don't load the bowl completely and might use some glass to better regulate temp. YMMV.

@Quetzalcoatl, am I missing some subtlety here and mis-reading this?

How long would that take?? If you let the Ascent sit too long, wouldn't it just burn/vape off your material before you got the chance to inhale?

Noob452,

nigel

How long would that take?? If you let the Ascent sit too long, wouldn't it just burn/vape off your material before you got the chance to inhale?

As I indicated in my previous post, this can be incredibly variable, dependent upon a lot of factors.

If you do a search on this thread, you will discover some posts by @OF where he measured time ON A FULL LOAD (which, also as mentioned, I don't believe to be what MOST people do, so that most likely wouldn't be relevant to your behavior).

I have a TC (but some issue with the coupling not fitting well on my meter), so I can try a micro-load tonight or tomorrow. I'll report on a ~0.01g load using glass flowers. It's gonna be hard to get the TC situated properly in that little amount, but I'll give it a shot. I would expect that to be much closer to the display readout in terms of time.

Also, we have discussed this previously, and there is some chimney effect (hot air rises), but it is negligible in contrast to the evacuation caused by an extended draw. Just don't leave it sit for a long time... :)

twooni

Got my Ascent today! Everything looked good out of the box, no build quality issues or scratches. I checked the bowl with a flash light and found no scratches or other issues as reported in this forum. Everything looks great!

So far it's just charging, I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did power it one and let it heat up to 200C just to make sure it was working (pressed all the buttons and checked the menus). And I can report that everything seems to be working as expected :)

Simply an observation at this point. It came out of the box with nearly a full charge and within 20 minutes it now shows full battery (charging indicator is full and not flashing.) I am going to let it charge for the full ten hours before I take it on it's trial run.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. But so far the Ascent makes my ioLite seem like caveman tech.

Well everyone. Something rather upsetting happened. My Ascent became defective today. I have owned it for 34 days and enjoyed if for this brief time.

Today I found that it would turn on, all of the buttons/commands would work and it seemed to reading the temperature. However, it would only heat up when I plugged it in. I know some other folks have had this issue, so I do not think this is limited to the stealth models as I have a wood model.

I am going to try and work with the Davinci people and see if I can get this resolved. I even messaged @Davinci_vaporizer to see if she can help (I know she has been helpful in the past).

Perhaps there is some kind of reset sequence. :shrug:

I will update as I go. It sounds like they are pretty busy right now.

Wish me luck, Internet!

Digger42

Got my replacement from DaVinci today. Visually it is flawless. THAT part they seem to have gotten working. Cleaned it up with iso and burned it in at 430 for 30 minutes. Only a small and not unreasonable amount of smell from it. Taste is great. Now if it will only last more than a month.

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
However, it would only heat up when I plugged it in. I know some other folks have had this issue, so I do not think this is limited to the stealth models as I have a wood model.

I am going to try and work with the Davinci people and see if I can get this resolved.
Be interested in knowing what RMA # is issued to you.

RD,

kluz

Been keeping up with this thread and finally made an account today. I've been weighing my options for my first vape lately and i love the ascent, i really really want it to be the one i get i just have a few worries with it still having slight problems. I want one truly portable, so sadly the solo wont cut it. Basically, are there any other options i should consider before purchasing? and price range is < $300

Thanks!

kluz,

nigel

How long would that take??

Feh... I couldn't get the thermocouple to seat properly in my meter to get an accurate read on ice H2O. So much for "standardized" connectors...

So I don't have an answer for you on the other (low) end, although I reasonably still suspect it approaches zero.

So, you have @OF's measurement on one end (keep in mind he used ABV which doesn't accurately represent a real load as the water density will have some thermal resistance on a cured (or slightly cured) load, but we'll still use that as an approximation of an upper maximum), and my "equipment-failure-but-appraching-zero" at the other end.

So you are talking seconds to minute(s).

But please keep in mind that asking this question is rather akin to saying "I'm driving cross-country. How many liters will I need?" without knowing your driving habits (hyper-miler or lead-foot), the vehicle (Tesla or 18-wheeler), the load (this one is obvious), or any of a myriad of factors. The best answer I can provide at this point is the previous 7 word paragraph....

Last edited:

Zeromaz

Update: Called Davinci today and went through everything to get an RMA (#637) and send back my unit. Other than having to call multiple times to get an answer I was very very impressed by their customer service. They were very apologetic and assured me that as soon as they received my unit a brand new replacement would be sent out right away...until then the solo is coming out of retirement.

When on the phone with Davinci customer service when asked the issue and I told her the unit was completely dead and would not charge at all she accidentally let out "not another one". After she became very apologetic again and assured me that I would be receiving a new unit as quickly as possible. Not sure what to make of that...

@smoking2long having used the Iolite and Ascent I can assure you that the Ascent will perform just as well and IMHO significantly better than the Iolite.

@twooni Same thing happened to me except mine died completely and almost around the exact same time period as you. Davinci Vaporizer on Facebook was very helpful to me and they will send all your info and issues directly to customer service/warranty department for when you call to expedite the process.

Top Bottom