Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
for the bag part I think it would be pretty simple to fix, adapt a bag on the stem and blow air on the grill of the ascent ;) someone should try it out if it works
I have some oven bags here. I'm going to try this. Once it's full slide the mouthpiece (bag and all) off the ascent and bam! Ur in!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: Snappo

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
for the bag part I think it would be pretty simple to fix, adapt a bag on the stem and blow air on the grill of the ascent ;) someone should try it out if it works
Probably easier if you could rig a small fan (think small like a $3 computer fan spliced to an old wall adapter to make it run) to it to blow clean air as opposed to exhaled air, but yeah it's the same idea. I was thinking that the PuffitX could easily be adapted to be a portable bag blower... if they got rid of the hot snorkel taste :p

Quetzalcoatl,
Public discusion of moderator decisions is not permitted. Warning point issued.
mod note: 1st, toss an insult.

2nd, demand free help

Does that method work well for you in the real world?

Warning issued

Thanks

Yes ,
here you go ,

http://www.davincivaporizer.com/ascent-vaporizer-by-davinci/

Are you sure , there aren't any other questions you wanted to ask ? :lol:

Thanks for the response, but did you realize that on this website they are all sold out? Please try to be helpful next time.

mod note: We also don't like back-to-back posts. Two posts merged, and try reading the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokeWeedErrrDay,

Jab

SmokeWeedErrrDay said:
I seem to have bypassed the credit card fee when registering for an account on FC. My mistake.
Sarcasm?
SmokeWeedErrrDay said:
The sarcastic crack made by said "nerd member" was unnecessary and not helpful
Fail!
SmokeWeedErrrDay said:
Please try to be helpful next time.
Sounds like you're on a roll and we're on your payroll.

Odds are you'll have a tough time making friends here -- though I'm sure a) "you're not interested in making friends" and b) that's everybody's fault but yours. Close?

Oooooh sarcasm!

:clap:

mod note: Your post only serves to provoke more bad behavior, and is in fact violating the 'be nice' rule. Please stick to the topic.

Jab,

Jab

mod note: Your post only serves to provoke more bad behavior, and is in fact violating the 'be nice' rule. Please stick to the topic.
You're right -- I couldn't resist this one. Apologies.

EDIT: There was a post by VapeLifeWill above, just now. It contained insults etc, so I guess it was removed. Just want to say this wasn't a back-to-back post.

mod note: VapeLifeWill=SmokeWeedErrrDay. Making a 2nd account after a ban is grounds for removal of both accounts.

Last edited:

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
@nigel, congratulations on 420 messages. Vape up!

:smug:

Nigel when you say they get stuff works out? You mean the issues or shipping...
Just wondering cause mine works great.
Cheers medical mark

I mean production issues.

ANd mine works great also! :rockon:

@grokit Question... is the Catlinite a porus material? Or could it be collecting stuff that otherwise you want? Any resin build up or anything like that?

did however get my IR thermometer back today and can confirm that the temp of the bowl is on average 15 to 30 degrees cooler than what the screen reads.

This has already been discussed, but keep in mind an open bowl is NOT the same thing as a load under use. @Hippie Dickie has said that it is VERY difficult to get an accurate measurement in real-use situations, and I defer to his expertise. :)

nigel,
Reactions: Snappo

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
:smug:

I mean production issues.

ANd mine works great also! :rockon:

@grokit Question... is the Catlinite a porus material? Or could it be collecting stuff that otherwise you want? Any resin build up or anything like that?

This has already been discussed, but keep in mind an open bowl is NOT the same thing as a load under use. @Hippie Dickie has said that it is VERY difficult to get an accurate measurement in real-use situations, and I defer to his expertise. :)
Yes Ive taken that into consideration. I realize the numbers were quite a ways off from the display (I tried getting a reading as soon as I got the bowl open). I figured a big bit of the temp gap was attributed to the bowl being open. I'm not complaining by any means. I was just stating my findings. I love my ascent! I get amazing results with my ascent.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Reactions: nigel

nigel

(I tried getting a reading as soon as I got the bowl open). I figured a big bit of the temp gap was attributed to the bowl being open. I'm not complaining by any means.
DOn't think you are complaining. :)

Was it an empty bowl or packed? Did you draw on it first?

nigel,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I took multiple readings empty, full, preheated for a session, from cold, with my bead, and without my bead. Like I said it was anywhere from 15-30 degrees away from the LCD readout on average.

OF

I took multiple readings empty, full, preheated for a session, from cold, with my bead, and without my bead. Like I said it was anywhere from 15-30 degrees away from the LCD readout on average.

I remain convinced typical IR Pyrometers are not all that useful for things like this. Some are better than others but you need 'emissivity' adjustment and a very narrow field of view. I have one that focuses on a .1 inch circle half an inch out.....it doesn't work on vapes either. Great for finding hot electronic parts on crowded boards, but not for vape heat.

The best scheme I know of is to bury a Thermo Couple sensor in the load, like I did here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-729#post-450224

I got some surprising answers that way..... Gotta look into it more.

OF

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I remain convinced typical IR Pyrometers are not all that useful for things like this. Some are better than others but you need 'emissivity' adjustment and a very narrow field of view. I have one that focuses on a .1 inch circle half an inch out.....it doesn't work on vapes either. Great for finding hot electronic parts on crowded boards, but not for vape heat.

The best scheme I know of is to bury a Thermo Couple sensor in the load, like I did here:

I got some surprising answers that way..... Gotta look into it more.

OF

Are you able to narrow the IR beam down through the stem conduit (no stem or screen in place) straight into the heater, packed and empty? Interesting study!

Snappo,

OF

Are you able to narrow the IR beam down through the stem conduit (no stem or screen in place) straight into the heater, packed and empty? Interesting study!

It's not an IR system. It's a TC system. Different animal, like used in industrial furnaces and stuff like that. You can see the sensor in the photo. A weld at the end of two fine (.010 inch) wires of special metals. Temperature (accurate to a few degrees) is measured at that exact point in the load.

I think IR systems, which basically 'listen to the color of the light' get swamped out with conflicting signals at best. Too much noise, not enough signal. Like trying to hear the guy next to you whispering into your ear, but in a room full of people talking? Even my spot meter doesn't fish out 'the right answer'.

What I did find fun was the 430 degree part. A long way from what the unit displays. Makes me wonder if we really know the temperature all that well.

Edit: The same scheme should work with Ascent, getting the leads and out might be a little more challenging, I don't have one to look at, but perhaps up through the grill?

OF

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I do have a pretty nice meat thermometer with the long metal probe and the LCD display box. I think I could drop the probe down the mouthpiece hole as long as the screen isn't in. Would this work? @OF

OF

I do have a pretty nice meat thermometer with the long metal probe and the LCD display box. I think I could drop the probe down the mouthpiece hole as long as the screen isn't in. Would this work? @OF

I don't see why not. Some don't read high enough for us, a 400F roast is mighty done, and some use a coiled bi metal strip so average the temperature over a section of the stem but I think it's worth a try if you can snake it in. Yours is most probably a thermistor, a resistor that changes value with temperature. The sort of sensor Solo (and most likely Ascent) uses. Puffit, and VB use the same system, I haven't cracked my HA, but bet it's the same as well. I think it'd be interesting, by all means let us know what happens if you try? TIA

Good luck.

OF

nigel

Dammit OF! I've been debating how best to get the Themocouple into the oven (screen would be ideal if I could somehow drill additional holes to compensate for restricted airflow).

Yeah... the depths of your experiments were about a hundred-fold of what I was thinking about. Nicely done, good sir!

EDIT:
----------------------------
same scheme should work with Ascent, getting the leads and out might be a little more challenging, I don't have one to look at, but perhaps up through the grill?

Yup.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
It's not an IR system. It's a TC system. Different animal, like used in industrial furnaces and stuff like that. You can see the sensor in the photo. A weld at the end of two fine (.010 inch) wires of special metals. Temperature (accurate to a few degrees) is measured at that exact point in the load.

I think IR systems, which basically 'listen to the color of the light' get swamped out with conflicting signals at best. Too much noise, not enough signal. Like trying to hear the guy next to you whispering into your ear, but in a room full of people talking? Even my spot meter doesn't fish out 'the right answer'.

What I did find fun was the 430 degree part. A long way from what the unit displays. Makes me wonder if we really know the temperature all that well.

Edit: The same scheme should work with Ascent, getting the leads and out might be a little more challenging, I don't have one to look at, but perhaps up through the grill?

OF
I am intrigued by the VapeXhale Cloud EVO Perpetual Heat System that maintains precise electronic temperature stability while vaping. I believe that the technology requires accurate temp settings/readings to begin with that are true to their advertisements, and electronic algorithms that instantly compensate for many variable dips in heater temp due to inhalation rate and strength. The technology is here now which takes the guesswork out of gauging temperature, as well as dramatically improves overall cook efficiency and vapor quality. This, I believe, will catch on industry-wide, from portable to desktop. Incorporate such advanced technology into an Ascent-sized and styled vape and we'll really have a game changer. I'm optimistically looking forward to it!

Last edited:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Ill give it a shot and report back with my findings.
That test was a bust! My probe doesn't read accurately unless what your trying to take the temp of is actually touching the probe. It was reading the ambient air temp in the bowl I believe. Which was about 120-140 degrees cooler than what the LCD screen said.

nigel

"maintains precise electronic temperature stability while vaping. I believe that the technology requires accurate temp settings/readings to begin with that are true to their advertisements, and electronic algorithms that instantly compensate for many variable dips in heater temp due to inhalation rate and strength....Incorporate such advanced technology into an Ascent-sized and styled vape and we'll really have a game changer.

Yeah.
The idea of digital temperature control in a vape is great because it gives you precise control. Seems simple enough. Unfortunately it's really fucking hard to do properly. By that I mean the display giving an accurate reading of the temperature the herb is being exposed to, and the software accurately adjusting the heater to maintain the desired temperature, especially during use when the user alters it by drawing air
edit for full justice
the level of accuracy is somewhat of a holy grail in vaporizing...

.... It was never a deal breaker if they still produce vapor, but it seems to be something that people often don't appreciate. There's often some confusion when people are talking about a new vape and assume that the temperature setting on their unit will result in the same experience on all units. That variance is just something that we've learned to work around.

OF

Dammit OF! I've been debating how best to get the Themocouple into the oven (screen would be ideal if I could somehow drill additional holes to compensate for restricted airflow).

Yeah... the depths of your experiments were about a hundred-fold of what I was thinking about. Nicely done, good sir!

Wow, thank you very much. It's really nothing special, I got paid good money to mess with this sort of stuff for a lot of years, nice to use it again.

I am intrigued by the VapeXhale Cloud EVO Perpetual Heat System that maintains precise electronic temperature stability while vaping.

The technology is here now which takes the guesswork out of gauging temperature, as well as dramatically improves overall cook efficiency and vapor quality.

Never seen a Cloud. But the technology has really be around a long time. Past the simple 'on/off thermostat systems (which aren't really that simple, even your home thermostat uses a gimmick called 'an anticipater' to artificially increase the thermostat housing temperature a bit as the furnace fire is on so the stored heat in the body of the firebox won't overshoot the temperature target....it shuts the fire off early), you have the PID controllers like are used to roast coffee on an industrial scale. Your car cruse control is another example of a PID system. Here you get proportional output (not just on/off but levels like the gas pedal in the car) control, the P part. Then you integrate the error (the longer you go too slow the more extra gas is added), the I part. Finally you differentiate the error so you don't overshoot and 'hunt' for the right speed. The D part, sometimes called 'resets' IIRC.

Like all closed loop systems PID runs on error. You'll get two different speeds up hill and down, one above, one below the "setpoint" with PID guys call the target value. Hopefully this error is small and repeatable.

If can do it on a sixties Caddy with valves, hoses and dashpots (did you know the first computers were analog not digital and ran on air pressure or other 'working fluid'?), you can more easily do it with electronics these days of course. But the systems are older than you or I. It's just a matter of is there a benefit to match the price?

I don't think it's needed in vapes. I think we've been lead to believe temperature is different than it is. My Solo experiment read 30 degrees higher than specified, but changed about 30 degrees depending on draw. Temperature control within a dozen or so degrees is probably plenty good. I just don't think vapes are half as precise as the salesmen say.......go figure.

Could easily be wrong, often am.....

That test was a bust! My probe doesn't read accurately unless what your trying to take the temp of is actually touching the probe. It was reading the ambient air temp in the bowl I believe. Which was about 120-140 degrees cooler than what the LCD screen said.

How about loading the bowl with ABV?

I think you've got a heat flow problem, the metal is pulling heat up and away too fast for it to be replaced so it reads low. This is one of the reasons you use tiny wires in the TC uses like I did.

OF

grokit

well-worn member

I have a picture of it in use that I am waiting to post until I am a bit more secure in my status. In it there is some dark ooze happening and the stone appears to be reacting to it. Now the stone has somewhat cured, and is a bit darker but stain-free. I think it's porous as a relatively soft rock but am not sure.

I ran my ascent completely down and it charged until the battery was solid this time. I have a feeling that if I let it continue it would start blinking again, but I disconnected it and put a small layer of good cured ground herb in. I put the stone on top and set it to 390, then 420.

Same thing, maybe a wisp here and there; it cooked the herb but did not medicate me or generate any clouds. I don't really know what's going on but I am not going to try it again without cotton, and in the meantime I will get an RMA before the window closes.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
My glass bead works great! Lol I wonder if your ascent is breaking down?

Last edited:
VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

rsqemt911

I actually tried that and got the exact same results as open. Both were done empty also.

Last edited by a moderator:
rsqemt911,
Top Bottom