Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

Screwdriver

Mom.....

Try clearing your cache or maybe trying another browser. I am fond of Google Chrome atm.

Screwdriver,

the ob

all good in the hood.
AGBeer said:
the ob said:
Is everyone having a problem seeing the comparison pics at the end of my pictures? just curious?
Yeah, its called jealousy. :p
you have nothing to be jealous of. I have been trying to catch up to you and mom! now I have to get working on some more glass. I will be interested to see what rick comes up with in the future.

mom, I ordered 15 different things from the specialty bottle today. everything is so cheap I just kept going.

BUYING is my drug of choice apparently.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
It's easy to do ob! I've been doing some searching trying to find the tubes to soak our glass. The closest I've come are some vials for collecting water samples, but everything I find is listed in ml, so it's hard to figure out the dimensions. And it needs to have a lid. I'll find one yet. It would be nice to find plastic, but it might end up also being glass. :/

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
It's easy to do ob! I've been doing some searching trying to find the tubes to soak our glass. The closest I've come are some vials for collecting water samples, but everything I find is listed in ml, so it's hard to figure out the dimensions. And it needs to have a lid. I'll find one yet. It would be nice to find plastic, but it might end up also being glass. :/
I have been looking for this same thing. we should let each other know if we find something.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the idea Lo, but I think that plastic looks a little suspect. I would prefer something that doesn't look like it would dissolve. Sometimes those stems get pretty dirty and need a little soak.

I'm sure persistence will pay off. The trick will be finding a place I don't have to buy a case!

Edit: Just found these two, but not sure if they would be the right material. The first one says it is safe to store alcohol. The second one however, is made of PVC and might not be safe for this use; I don't know.

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=B070

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=B069

momofthegoons,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'm leary of plastic and alcohol too. I tried to use a tall glass jar laying on it's side but.... wasn't ideal. I'll be watching.

Lo,

the ob

all good in the hood.
Lo said:
I'm leary of plastic and alcohol too. I tried to use a tall glass jar laying on it's side but.... wasn't ideal. I'll be watching.
I feel the same way. I know everyone uses the plastic bottles to clean the stems, and I bought one to do the same thing, but I would feel more comfortable with glass....

the ob,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
the ob said:
Lo said:
I feel the same way. I know everyone uses the plastic bottles to clean the stems, and I bought one to do the same thing, but I would feel more comfortable with glass....
For my stems I just use one of those canning jars (fits em perfectly) at least the stock stems.

For the glass if I was looking for glass to soak all of them - I think I would use a pickle jar as its taller. Just remember, whatever you use the alcohol WILL leech out the last flavors in it! (Hence my garlic/jalapeno/wandhash flavored fire water) :)

AGBeer,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I use a glass canning jar too AG for stock stems. I'll have to find a tall enough one for the glass. Mine is quite long :)

Lo,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Glass would of course be the best for chemical resistance at any ambient temperature over any plastic or polymer, no doubt about it. Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) does however carry a chemical resistance to both Ethyl alcohol and Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) as being good to moderate up to temperatures of ~140 degrees F. Your use would not exceed room temp approx 73 degrees F. This data is from my personal Chemical Resistance Listing of Various Polymers. If you so chose to go with PVC then I would be extra safe and replace the PVC container and the alcohol every 6 months. :2c:

Lycanthrope,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Lycanthrope, since you seem to have some knowledge of this, could you tell me if the other container with is PET would be "safe"?

Edit: Don't mean to take this off topic (Zap wise) but since a lot of us have glass stems for it, I figured it was okay.

Also, I figure since I use ISO, and it comes in a plastic bottle, plastic must be okay for a container for cleaning the stems, as long as it is safe to contain alcohol. :2c:

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
Lycanthrope, since you seem to have some knowledge of this, could you tell me if the other container with is PET would be "safe"?

Edit: Don't mean to take this off topic (Zap wise) but since a lot of us have glass stems for it, I figured it was okay.

Also, I figure since I use ISO, and it comes in a plastic bottle, plastic must be okay for a container for cleaning the stems, as long as it is safe to contain alcohol. :2c:
I thought this same thing. How do you know if the plastic you are using is safe?

the ob,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Mom,
Polyethylene terephthalate polyester (PET) or otherwise known as Polyester also offers good to very good chemical resistance to the aliphatic (long molecule chain) alcohols such as Ethanol and IPA's. The PET is probably a bit more stable with respect to alcohol resistance than the PVA polymers. I would to be on the safe side defer to a conservative approach and still change out my PET bottles and the alcohol every 6 months. The 6 month limitation is not based on any empirical data, but is my opinion.
To put this into some analogous perspective, PET is the same polymer (plastic) that all of your soda and water bottles are made from, albeit containing water base or water solutions and not alcohols. It still offers very good resistance to the common ethanol & IPA alcohols.
The stem cleaning bottles that are supplied by another log style vape mfg are either PET or PVA, most likely PET. There have been no problem reports associated with these bottles that I am aware of.
In addition, when I get around to using alcohol for cleaning my stems or especially making a consumable tincture I would by all means use only ethanol and not IPA. All of the alcohol beverages are Ethanol based and not IPA. A good source of consumable ethanol would be 190 proof grain alcohol or 151 proof Ron Rico Rum. I consider that using the ethanol is far more conducive to safety than using IPA. Simply put, if IPA was safe to consume then there would be IPA based alcoholic drinks, and there are not, and for good reason. I know that there is allot of IPA being used to clean stems with no negative reports, but knowing what I know concerning these materials and chemicals I would rather err on the conservative side :2c:
Sorry about being a bit verbose but I tried to provide a concise explanation.

I hope that the above explanation helps you out. :)

Lycanthrope,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Lycanthrope, you did a great job of explaining this. I feel pretty comfortable, personally, using a PET container. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the site I posted above only wants larger orders and to discourage small orders charges a $10 small order fee, in additional to handling and shipping. So, the hunt is still on. We should probably start a new thread about this, rather than bog down Rick's thread.

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
so last night armed with my new 2pc SC grinder in hand, I got down to business. I have been grinding with a 4pc that collects the pollen in a separate compartment (which I have not been using). I ground up some herb and got to work with my new sexy zap.

Huge difference. As I said before, my other zap which I believe has the new heatport as well (not the custom washers) was plenty hot. So I cannot say it ran hotter than the other. It was a way different experience using it with the herb ground with a two piece. WAY stronger. I have the fortunate position of having a bunch of different herbs available at all times and so running out or conserving is not really a problem. This is why I decided to use the 2pc instead. It was a whole different experience.

I love these zaps.

I am applying zapolish after each use for now, but am not buffing like other people. is this really necessary? what if I want it to shine like glass. how does one accomplish this?

the ob,

chucku

Charles Urbane
momofthegoons said:
Lycanthrope, you did a great job of explaining this. I feel pretty comfortable, personally, using a PET container. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the site I posted above only wants larger orders and to discourage small orders charges a $10 small order fee, in additional to handling and shipping. So, the hunt is still on. We should probably start a new thread about this, rather than bog down Rick's thread.
Check out the screw top glass amphora at the middle of the page. It may be tall enough to accomodate a glass stem completely, has a wide mouth for easy access, and the price is right.

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm/term/glass bottles

chucku,

chucku

Charles Urbane
the ob said:
so last night armed with my new 2pc SC grinder in hand, I got down to business. I have been grinding with a 4pc that collects the pollen in a separate compartment (which I have not been using). I ground up some herb and got to work with my new sexy zap.

Huge difference. As I said before, my other zap which I believe has the new heatport as well (not the custom washers) was plenty hot. So I cannot say it ran hotter than the other. It was a way different experience using it with the herb ground with a two piece. WAY stronger. I have the fortunate position of having a bunch of different herbs available at all times and so running out or conserving is not really a problem. This is why I decided to use the 2pc instead. It was a whole different experience.

I love these zaps.

I am applying zapolish after each use for now, but am not buffing like other people. is this really necessary? what if I want it to shine like glass. how does one accomplish this?
A terry cloth rag or an old t-shirt or underwear should work well.

chucku,

the ob

all good in the hood.
chucku said:
momofthegoons said:

Check out the screw top glass amphora at the middle of the page. It may be tall enough to accomodate a glass stem completely, has a wide mouth for easy access, and the price is right.

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm/term/glass bottles
I too was thinking about some science equipment. of course I am watching breaking bad currently so lab equipment on the brain. I think we need a test tube that has a rubber stopper or something similar. you do not want something too big that you would have to fill with too much liquid.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you chucku. That would work for some stems, but not all. I agree ob, and have been looking for test tubes, but the ones I have found are also too short or have too narrow openings. But, I'm sure we will find something.

Sounds like you had some fun last night ob. Keeping your herb "intact" instead of separating the kief would be stronger. That's why when I top of a stem with kief, it gives it a little extra punch. I sort of like the flexiblity of being able to add as much, or as little kief as I want to vary the intensity of the buzz. I find I don't usually want to get too buzzed in the morning, so a stem full of herb that has been put through my 4 pc. grinder is great. Then, as the day progresses, I might want something a little stronger. Maybe that's the downside (if there is one :p ) of using all day. It helps the pain, but you need stronger as the day goes on sometimes.

momofthegoons,

lwien

momofthegoons said:
I sort of like the flexiblity of being able to add as much, or as little kief as I want to vary the intensity of the buzz. I find I don't usually want to get too buzzed in the morning, so a stem full of herb that has been put through my 4 pc. grinder is great. Then, as the day progresses, I might want something a little stronger. Maybe that's the downside (if there is one :p ) of using all day. It helps the pain, but you need stronger as the day goes on sometimes.
mom, wouldn't just vaping more or vaping less accomplish the same thing while using a 2pc?

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:) Probably. I guess I could put it to the test. :lol:

We all (or should I say some of us) have our silly little rituals, don't we?

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom