Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Damn, all of these new chunks Rick is sending out is making my head spin!

Still loving my Zap and patiently awaiting the arrival of glasssssssssss. :brow:

AGBeer,

Rick

Zapman
Glass update: NADA. I should have called first. Talked to him mid last week and he said he would have something by today for us to look at. Two pieces was it. He is very very busy and the tubes he ordered are not in yet. Pat just hit one of them he gave us with a good dry stem tip pack and got too much vapor which she has not done in a long time. I do not want to put up any pics til we can offer something. He did say he would have some more by the end of the week but we all have to just wait a bit longer. My bad. I should have added at least a week or two to what he told me but sometimes I'm not so smart.
The ball is rolling for sure. It just turns into a football sometimes.
Thanks for your patience.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
rick,
why and or how did she get too much vapor? I know we have to be patient, but I am super excited about the glass tubes.

thanks again for my zap. it is great.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
The wait is totally understandable. It's like when a contractor tells you that your job is going to be done in two weeks. I always figure that really means four and am usually right. Good things are worth waiting for.

I am also wondering about the "too big of a hit." I can see if you are used to the standard stem draw that an easier draw would result in a larger hit. I've found that when I switch to a box vape after using the MZ that it takes some adjusting to get used to the power hits again. I'm wondering if this is the case here. Looking forward to hearing the updates.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Rick

Zapman
She just got too much vapor in one pull. Expanded too much and she could not hold it. Must have something to do with the glass. I must say she was extra careful with the stem tip pack/dryness to get it just right. Originally the material was not dry enough. Just a big giant hit of vapor is all but not like a pull from a standard stem.
Yea, the wait game. I should have no problem with it as we do it all the time. Promise someone something and it gets delayed a few days for one reason or another. The only 'problem' I have with it is my putting time lines out on FC that are not accurate. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut even more than I already do. FC has been good for me in that regard. I have learned often silence says much.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
so I throughly enjoyed my zap last night. I have to say it seems like it ran plenty hot with the 12.5. I have not even tried the 13 yet and am almost afraid to. used 1 1/2 stems and that was more than enough. I did use the tubing that came with it and I feel like that increased the hits that I got.

great device. I want another already....;)

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Rick, the problem is that we are like a bunch of kids at Christmas. Can we open them now? Now? NOW????? :D

ob- Glad you enjoyed your new Zap! I get what you're saying about another one. It gets addictive doesn't it? I feel like I did when I first started toking and wanted all kinds of pipes and accessories. Now that stuff is all old news to me and I want all the new stuff for vaping. My family thinks I've gone crazy. They may be right. :brow: In the words of the great Alfred E. Newman, "What, me worry?"

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I agree with mom. We just want more toys. whenever you get a new hobby you have to get all the goodies. I mentioned this in another glass thread, but what I would be interested in would be a plain longer version of the standard stem. The length would cool it down and give bigger hits. It would be easy to see where it needed to be cleaned. It would have to be strong glass though.

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
From my understanding, a fairly plain stem might be one of the things Rick is looking into. We'll just have to be patient and see. Besides, I'm getting into plenty of buying trouble without having another temptation right now. Maybe it's a good thing there's a delay...... :p

momofthegoons,

reece

Rick said:
The ball is rolling for sure. It just turns into a football sometimes.
Never heard that one.

That kind of sounds like life. Or, at least, an interesting life.

Can't wait to see the glass.

reece,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
I have a question concerning the flax seed oil that came or still comes with the MZ, does it still come with the MZ?

I have in the past used linseed oil many times to finish well sanded wood (gunstocks) with great results. It really brought out the grain and sealed the wood, and made the wood slightly darker.

Linseed oil is what is refered to as drying oil. That means that it oxidizes when exposed to air and the oxidation process causes it to dry out and form a high gloss seal on wood. The degree of gloss can be controled by how much you put on and wipe off when still wet, and the number of coats that are applied. The only drawback is that it has a distinct odor until it has completly oxidized and dried, that again is controled by the amount applied. The odor really isn't bad, it just has a slight smell. Usual time for the odor to disperse is around 5 days but heating up the MZ leaving it on 24/7 would make it completly oxidize much quicker.

Has anyone ever used linseed oil on wood, and has anyone ever used it to finish an MZ? Maybe Rick has had some experience with linseed oil on his Zaps. I thought some of you MZ owners may want to try it, or had already tried it.

Lycanthrope,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lycanthrope,
I just received my zap yesterday and it came with a small container of some wax instead of the oil. I know they used to use flax seed oil but it does not any longer. rick would have to answer the question about linseed. sounds interesting though.

the ob,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
The Zappolish is a wax of sorts (contains beeswax) and some other stuff that makes it smooth and smell pretty. Lavender is the scent that Mrs. Zaplady likes and packs with every order. (The Zappolish smells of lavender) It really makes the Zap just 'pop' and smell really good in the process.

AGBeer,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Lycanthrope said:
I have a question concerning the flax seed oil that came or still comes with the MZ, does it still come with the MZ?

I have in the past used linseed oil many times to finish well sanded wood (gunstocks) with great results. It really brought out the grain and sealed the wood, and made the wood slightly darker.

Linseed oil is what is refered to as drying oil. That means that it oxidizes when exposed to air and the oxidation process causes it to dry out and form a high gloss seal on wood. The degree of gloss can be controled by how much you put on and wipe off when still wet, and the number of coats that are applied. The only drawback is that it has a distinct odor until it has completly oxidized and dried, that again is controled by the amount applied. The odor really isn't bad, it just has a slight smell. Usual time for the odor to disperse is around 5 days but heating up the MZ leaving it on 24/7 would make it completly oxidize much quicker.

Has anyone ever used linseed oil on wood, and has anyone ever used it to finish an MZ? Maybe Rick has had some experience with linseed oil on his Zaps. I thought some of you MZ owners may want to try it, or had already tried it.
My MZ came with flaxseed oil capsules and since I had close to a gallon of Sunnyside linseed oil on hand I asked Rick the same question. His answer was linseed oil is flaxseed oil however linseed oil is subjected to processes in its refining where chemical adjuncts of varying amounts are introduced to the final product whereas flaxseed oil is without chemical additives. I verified this on wikipedia. I am comfortable enough with what I found out to use linseed oil with confidence. I have also used linseed oil with great results previously on unfinished wood surfaces. BTW Rick did suggest avoiding linseed oil if possible.

chucku,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I think the issue might be the chemicals that would be released when heated in the linseed oil. The Zapolish, while not leaving a high gloss finish, is a really nice product and gives the Zap a nice mellow finish. I love smoothing on a layer of it when the unit is hot.

Okay.....AG.....I know I've left myself wide open for a comment. Behave..... :lol:

momofthegoons,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
momofthegoons said:
I think the issue might be the chemicals that would be released when heated in the linseed oil. The Zapolish, while not leaving a high gloss finish, is a really nice product and gives the Zap a nice mellow finish. I love smoothing on a layer of it when the unit is hot.

Okay.....AG.....I know I've left myself wide open for a comment. Behave..... :lol:
Wide open? Hot units having a layer smoothed on?

Yes please :cool:

AGBeer,

the ob

all good in the hood.
it is really hard to not throw out a "that's what she said" often here......

the ob,

reece

momofthegoons said:
:lol: I guess I'd better start watching what I post! (as she mutters to herself...bunch of hound dogs....)
My memory might be a little fuzzy but didn't you start all of this?:lol:

Howwwwwwwwwl!

reece,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Yes, some "linseed oils" do contain a small portion of mineral spirts (aliphatic solvent) to reduce the viscosity and facilitate penetration into the wood. This combined with the oil itself is what leads to off-gassing and the subsequent odor. The mineral spirts in this case is in part one of the chemical adjuncts. The amount of mineral spirts or otherwise chemical adjuncts will vary from one manufacturer to the next. The mineral spirts flash off rather slowly (low vapor pressure) but this occurs earlier on than the actual oxidation of the oil. There are USP versions of Flax Seed oil that are fit for human comsumption VS the Linseed oil used for wood finishing purposes or other industrial purposes such as sealing concrete flatwork.
Ill use the wax provided by Rick and see the results. Im sure that it will provide a much nicer finish than the bare wood. I just may want to go ahead and put a very light coat of linseed oil on and immediately wipe off any excess. This process will leave behind only the oils that penetrated into the wood and little if any on the wood surface. This will result in a highly visable grain structure and a matte finish rather that a gloss. Let it set a day or so to air dry then turn the MZ on and heat cure over a week. This will drive all traces of the mineral spirts off and heat cure (oxidize) the light coat of oil. Ill just have to see the results of the wax, Ill probably like it just fine.

Sorry for being my verbose self, but I have allot of time on my hands and really enjoy the forum and exchange of information.

Thanks everyone for your most appreciated responses. Well it's time for my workout, got to go.:D

Lycanthrope,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Yes reece, I sure did. :rolleyes: Might have bit off more than I can chew with this bunch. :lol:

Lycanthrope, my experience has been that in the first few weeks with your Zap, it will need to be waxed often since the wood is still drying out with the heating process. I leave mine on 24/7, switching to the 13.5v while using it and probably polished it every day for the first couple of days, then whenever it looked "dry" to me. Now, I probably only polish it every other week or so. It has darkened nicely and doesn't seem to need the polish as much. But everyone has a wood finish they seem to like the best. Back when I was actively refinishing furniture, my choice was Watco oil. I haven't used linseed before. You seem knowledgable about it and comfortable with using it on a device you will be breathing out of. I personally like to use more natural products for my Zap.

momofthegoons,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Mom, and et all, I think that I will forgo the somewhat experimental use of Linseed oil on my MZ, why fool around with success when the Zap Wax has an established track record, and everyone seems to really like it. I'm also ordering the 13.5 V; don't know if Ill need it but for $10 why not. I plan on running my new MZ with the 12V as a 24/7 break-in period for about a week before use. That should be long enought to season the wood.

The reason that I seemed to know a bit about the oil is that in my recent past life I was a Materials Research Scientist/Engineer.:cool: Imagine being a scientist wraped up in a bikers body, I don't look like a scientist, but do look like the stereotypical biker. :brow:

Sometimes I feel like a conundrum on the horns of an enigma. :o

Thanks one and all for the great feedback

Lycanthrope,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lycanthrope,
I just received my zap a few days ago> I ordered the 13.5 as well (because it is only 10 dollars!) but have not used it yet. It seems to run PLENTY hot for me with the normal plug. I would probably just stick to the wax that comes with it or use flaxseed oil instead. Welcome to the forum.

the ob,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
The Ob, Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. :D Im going to use the wax that comes with the MZ and not experiment with the oil I had in mind.

Things are drying up around here. I just hope that changes within the next week or so. :uhoh: Ill wind up having a new car in the garage and no gas to put in it so to speak. :mad:

I'll be ordering around the 19th. Ill see about the 13.5 v as I may not need it either, but who knows. Ill order it and see. I have no experience with vaping at all, so it will be very new to me, and I just want to have all of the bases covered, and for $10 why not. Im going to see if Rick can accommodate me on getting one that is a bit darker in color. He's been really great to deal with so far. :D

Lycanthrope,
Top Bottom