Arizer Solo

headdoctor

Wow is it hard to get perspective on this thing. I've been reading this forum for three weeks or so, and every time I get ready to order a Solo (which, in theory, is ideal for me), I read something negative, annoying, or flat-out scary. Pakalolo is right that most reviews outside this forum are very positive. And yet, and yet....

headdoctor,
if you need clouds then pull the trigger. if you want taste and quality and are a snob about that then wait around for soemthing else.

biojuggernaut,

w4m2k0

biojuggernaut said:
if you need clouds then pull the trigger. if you want taste and quality and are a snob about that then wait around for soemthing else.
That is If you get a bad one. You do have a pretty fair chance of receiving a perfectly functional solo that tastes and smells good(or so I hope, seeing that mine won't be in till Friday)

w4m2k0,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
So it happened. My solo has two tiny signs of the ceramic coating flaking. A day later and I got a response from Arizer saying that my warranty replacement is sent out.

So far Arizer's warranty is on par with Magic-Flight's, and that's an awesome thing!

As long as my replacement operates identical to my current unit, just a SS bowl instead of the ceramic coating, then I will once again be a very happy solo owner. And like many others here I did not have to send my old solo back :cool:

And FYI, I bought my solo from an unauthorized dealer. I just had to send arizer photo's of the damage and my receipt. No question's asked. So I wouldn't hesitate to do what I did and buy the solo the cheapest you can find it.

Has anyone had any luck removing the ceramic coating from their old solo? Since I will have two, it would be nice to make the old one useable again as a back up.

aesthyrian,

vape4life

Banned for life
My SS replacement doesn't operate identical to my ceramic. The vapor isn't as dense. My peeling actually stopped completely so I have just the one tiny area maybe less than 1/4" square.

My personal belief is that the ceramic is more than just cosmetic. I think maybe it allows heat to retain better or makes it hotter or something because my ceramic solo works better than my SS. I always only use the 2 hole stems.

aesthyrian said:
So it happened. My solo has two tiny signs of the ceramic coating flaking. A day later and I got a response from Arizer saying that my warranty replacement is sent out.

So far Arizer's warranty is on par with Magic-Flight's, and that's an awesome thing!

As long as my replacement operates identical to my current unit, just a SS bowl instead of the ceramic coating, then I will once again be a very happy solo owner. And like many others here I did not have to send my old solo back :cool:

And FYI, I bought my solo from an unauthorized dealer. I just had to send arizer photo's of the damage and my receipt. No question's asked. So I wouldn't hesitate to do what I did and buy the solo the cheapest you can find it.

Has anyone had any luck removing the ceramic coating from their old solo? Since I will have two, it would be nice to make the old one useable again as a back up.

vape4life,

darkrom

Great Scott!
w4m2k0 said:
To the happy solo owners, how does the solo taste in comparison to other vapes?

When mine was behaving it tasted pretty good but nothing special. I'd say similar taste to DBV. But then when I'd get smells and tastes it would taste like doing a shot of vinegar or something and make me almost vomit into the stem. I'd imagine if you didn't have any of those issue it will taste about the same as any other vape, no better no worse.

darkrom,
pakalolo said:
There are vastly more Solo owners with no issues than the usual suspects complaining here. I visited the local shop recently and asked him about the Solo. He said that he'd sold over a hundred of them. I asked him if anyone had complained about smell or flaking. He was completely surprised and said he hadn't gotten a single complaint and this was the first he'd heard of these issues. I then called three of the biggest head shops in the Toronto area and asked about Solo sales and complaints. All of the shops praised the Solo (naturally, they're trying to sell it) and all of them said they had not had a single complaint, let alone a return. One shop said it was their top seller now. (It's the owner's current favourite so he pushes it.) I guess these people don't use FC, because they all said they had never heard about smells or flaking.

Pak, It's obvious to me that an experienced vaporist who has been vaping for years with multiple different models tried will be far more likely to kick back a stinky or flaky Solo than a first time buyer. Keep in mind, most people buying Solos at a headshop probably walked in wanting some kind of heady combustion piece, but were intrigued by a hi-tech new vaporizer instead. These people have no frame of reference and wouldn't know if that flavor was off, and might not think anything of the flaking, or would likely never notice it. A stinky solo still tastes better than combusting, after all. With all due respect Pak, as I recall, you haven't owned or used a Solo, and I personally DO think people should be very cautious about buying a Solo, and need to weigh its impressive strengths against its potentially large problems. I also wouldn't trust anything that any headshop owner says unless they are known to you personally. Ask that same guy about his Vapir 1 that's been on the shelf for 3 presidential terms, he'll tell you it's the best vape ever constructed. I guess I'm one of the "usual suspects" as you so nicely put it. We're just making up lies and propaganda about stinky vapes because we're part of an anti-Arizer coalition of the willing. Yup.

aesthyrian said:

I don't know about that. The MFLB can be returned because you dropped it into a toilet, or you dropped it off a rollercoaster, or was chewed up by your dog, or you punched through the screen like an idiot. Those sort of things will not get you a new Solo.

charliedontsurf,

MG23

Relaxin'
Of the vaporizers I've tried I'd liken it most to the HA in the flavor department... taste isn't quite as crisp as it could be, but it's damn good regardless.

MG23,

Nosferatu

w4m2k0 said:
To the happy solo owners, how does the solo taste in comparison to other vapes?

Close to a PD, not as good as my DBV. Mainly because if your hitting it through the standard tube it starts to get hot and its hard to take a hit nearly as big as a DBV can go. If you put a whip to it it can get clouds just as big as the DBV, just thinner and less tasteful. I'd say at temp 4-5 it hits kind of like a PD taste and draw wise.

Anyways I'm returning the thing, I wouldn't say it made me sick, but the high definitely isn't as clean as my Buddha. Also the battery life was horrible on mine(7 cycles per charge max), never held temp long, heat light would never stop and so on. Need the money back for the VXC. I'd rather smoke or even hit the MFLB on the go. Better yet just medicate at home at night.

Nosferatu,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
charliedontsurf said:
aesthyrian said:

I don't know about that. The MFLB can be returned because you dropped it into a toilet, or you dropped it off a rollercoaster, or was chewed up by your dog, or you punched through the screen like an idiot. Those sort of things will not get you a new Solo.

For sure, and the MFLB is a lifetime warranty. I more meant that the ease of the whole warranty process is very smooth and quick, much like the magic flight's warranty.

aesthyrian,

Tritono

If this vaporizer was in good condition I would buy one. Its like all I need. But Im not feel like play a russian roulette with the solo. I live in Chile and any warranty issue is a pain because the shipping cost and weeks of wait. How many happy owner are here? I trust more in a few FC members than in a dozen of normal users that dont pay attention to details. Its very important for me the health thing. Im looking for a vape that dont irritate my vocal cords, throat or lungs. I understand that the flickering ceramic thing is solved with the SS bowl but that improvement overall is a good or bad thing? and about the smell: what can be generating that? a burned piece in the device?

Tritono,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I honestly think that it comes down to the fact that there is a taste difference that the Solo has that none of my other vapes have. For me personally, it's not a big deal. I made a mental note of it when I first tried it, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me at all. I love my Solo and if it was stolen I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. My other friends that own Solos have never complained about taste issues.

But the difference is there. I think that some people - you can call them purists, snobs, or what have you - are more put off by this taste, or smell, or whatever you want to call it than other people are. I understand that and I think that they have valid points and complaints. Every Solo I've tried shares this trait (I've tried 4 different models) so I think that it comes down to personal preference. If you want the best tasting, purest pulls from your vaporizer, then don't buy a Solo. If you are more interested in quick on the go cloud chasing, then it's right up your alley.

I do hope they can address this issue in the future, but until then I will continue to use mine as all of my Ex's will attest to the fact that I have no taste.

:peace:

Stu,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Stu said:
I honestly think that it comes down to the fact that there is a taste difference that the Solo has that none of my other vapes have. For me personally, it's not a big deal. I made a mental note of it when I first tried it, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me at all. I love my Solo and if it was stolen I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. My other friends that own Solos have never complained about taste issues.

But the difference is there. I think that some people - you can call them purists, snobs, or what have you - are more put off by this taste, or smell, or whatever you want to call it than other people are. I understand that and I think that they have valid points and complaints. Every Solo I've tried shares this trait (I've tried 4 different models) so I think that it comes down to personal preference. If you want the best tasting, purest pulls from your vaporizer, then don't buy a Solo. If you are more interested in quick on the go cloud chasing, then it's right up your alley.

I do hope they can address this issue in the future, but until then I will continue to use mine as all of my Ex's will attest to the fact that I have no taste.

I think there is a lot of truth in your post for most of the cases. But what was the drop that overfilled the bucket for me (mumbles something about a badly translated dutch expression & tipping scales) were the headache reports. That is something that really should be looked in to imo.

OhTheAgony,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OhTheAgony said:
Stu said:

I think there is a lot of truth in your post for most of the cases. But what was the drop that overfilled the bucket for me (mumbles something about a badly translated dutch expression & tipping scales) were the headache reports. That is something that really should be looked in to imo.

+1000 for both of you, I agree all the way!

FLskwat,

darkrom

Great Scott!
The headache thing hits home real hard. I remember when it was new to me and my buddy who is a member here we were both hitting the solos and I said "do you ever get headaches from the solo" because I found it was fairly common. He replied NO WAY as if I was crazy. Maybe some people are more susceptible than others, but susceptible to what is the scary part. Hot ceramic/ss and glass do NOT cause headaches. There is absolutely some other force at play with this vaporizer. Some part of it IS releasing some kind of gas. It simply has to be something responsible for the off taste/smell/headaches. The fact that it is a mystery substance is beyond my belief. I view using any solo as fairly reckless right now to be honest, simply because there is definitely SOMETHING going on, and the manufacturer is doing quite the job of covering it up. This whole vaporizer and how arizer operates about safety concerns and top secret everything and constant denial is appalling to me.

I keep coming in here waiting until someone gets this device lab tested or something and people start declaring it the next Vapor Buddy. Call me an alarmist if you want, but I think it is more or less agreed upon that there is some shady stuff going on and there is some sort of other material other than SS/ceramic and glass changing the results of this vape.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Just to gather some more info, but did you ever experience headaches from other vaporizers Darkrom?

I ask because I experienced some headaches in the first week I was experimenting with my Vapo Bowl (I wasn't using my Solo at the time). In hindsight I'm pretty sure it was a user error as I was applying way to much heat to get vapor quicker (I also experienced a somewhat burned throat and mouth which I even made a thread about some weeks ago). I get the same kind of headaches when I don't take the time to cool down properly after a sauna for instance, and the headaches went away after I learned how to use it properly. Just trying to exclude heat as a source for the headache problems here.

OhTheAgony,

DrLuap

Hi Folks - I am a Solo owner of just over a month & am very happy with it so far - a beautiful piece of technology; anyhow my point - as an experiment from a green dragon perspective from day one I saved what was left in my bowl after it had been used generally @ no5 & emptied it into a little container. When it reached the approx 1gm mark I put that in 20ml of vodka for a couple of days & then warmed this up not to high a temp & stirred. I then filtered through coffee filter in2 container & had approx 10ml. I then added 10ml of glycerine & dropped into a riva 510 (e-cigg) & was more than pleasantly surprised - in fact so surprised the next night loaded up a couple of carts & went to the pub & had a great time - I will always keep my dregs from now on - just thought I'd pass it on Cheers

DrLuap,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
Just to gather some more info, but did you ever experience headaches from other vaporizers Darkrom?

I ask because I experienced some headaches in the first week I was experimenting with my Vapo Bowl (I wasn't using my Solo at the time). In hindsight I'm pretty sure it was a user error as I was applying way to much heat to get vapor quicker (I also experienced a somewhat burned throat and mouth which I even made a thread about some weeks ago). I get the same kind of headaches when I don't take the time to cool down properly after a sauna for instance, and the headaches went away after I learned how to use it properly. Just trying to exclude heat as a source for the headache problems here.

Definitely not heat for me because I never get it with any other vaporizer and I generally kept my solo at 3-4 most of the time. My log vape I can get the temp pretty high by playing with the voltage. I've never had any other vape give headaches :/

darkrom,

w4m2k0

There definitely something weird happening with the solo. But I think it is was actually a real health concern they would legally have to tell their costomers and fixed it(or that's what I try to convince himself).

w4m2k0,

darkrom

Great Scott!
w4m2k0 said:
There definitely something weird happening with the solo. But I think it is was actually a real health concern they would legally have to tell their costomers and fixed it(or that's what I try to convince himself).

If they dismiss the claims and no one gets one lab tested or something then there is nothing anyone can do about it.

darkrom,

Lostclusters

vaplexus said:
I disassembled the Solo. Here are the results. Findings:

1. The unit runs on two 18650 LiPo cells configured as 2S terminating in an JST-RCY connector. The cells are typical OEM cells shrink wrapped in blue and matrix printed with among other things 7.2V 2200mAH.

2. There is a modificaiton that can be made that will increase air flow resulting in potentially better fluffier hits with the caveat that its more possible to get AVB in the air path.

Now for the sexy pictures:

Arizer Solo take-apart

Note: No person dead or alive will take responsibility for anything you do to your own Arizer Solo. If you fuck something up taking it apart look in the mirror for blame. In other words I will not take any responsibility for anything to do with you and your Solo. There is a chance you will break something. I do not encourage you to do anything with your Solo. You've been warned.

Remove the 4 small screws on the bottom of the solo. The unit slides apart:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0024.jpeg

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0023.jpeg

With the chassis out of the case, you can see its in 2 pieces clipped together with a plastic tongue. Bending the tongue under will enable the pieces to come apart:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0022.jpeg

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0021.jpeg

When they come apart you can see the battery pack (blue):

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0020.jpeg

The battery sits loose in the case. The connector is wrapped in black:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0019.jpeg

The battery pack is two standard 18650's in 2S with total capacity of 2200mHA according to the print on the pack. This means simple 18650's can be used to replace the pack and even increasing capacity. Here is the pack and 2 standard 18650 cells:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0018.jpeg

The battery uses a JST-RCY connector. This is great because it makes exchanging the battery a lot easier. Soldering will be required however to put the replacement pack together unless you have a source for pre-made packs. The connectors are real JST connecotrs and not cheap knock-offs. This echos the high quality of the rest of the Solo:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0017.jpeg

Here a couple shots of the main board. DIfferent lighting for different views. Observations: I can see components that make up a switching power supply, the likely culprit of the high frequecy pitch some people here. I do not think there is anything that can be done about it. Most of the chips have the part number scraped off, a typical tactic to prevent reverse engineering the circuit. Fine. I haven't been able to really reverse engineer the boards. I see 5 of what appear to the be the same chip, 2 multi-pin chips so its likely really digitally controlled. probably custom mictro controllers for this application. the smaller one at the top might be and A/D type chip to convert the temp sensor to digital.

I guess a couple drivers for the battery charging and the heater (black/red wires on the left and right respectively).

Note the 5 pin connector pads at the top left. interesting. a programmer or diagnostic interface?

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0016.jpeg

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0014.jpeg

Digging deeper into the heater head, first remove the 4 screws:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0013.jpeg

Then unclip to the top of the unit from the bottom:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0012.jpeg

The top and bottom separated:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0011.jpeg

The heater assembly matches to the chassis. There is a pair of thickish teflon coated wires and a pair of thin teflon coated wires going from the chassis to the heater. I assume the thick set is power to the heater and the thin is the temperature sensor:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0010.jpeg

Observation: on the inside of the case shell there is evidence of AVB suggesting AVB can get into the chasis:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0009.jpeg

The top of the crucible. Note the thin metal cruicible sits inside the high temp plastic chassis with 4 spacers to to hold it out from the chassis wall. This provides a small free channel for air flow up through the small holes in the crucible.

Further, the crucible appears held in place and there is more space under the bottom of the crucible and the bottom of the chassis suggesting the heater is under the crucible. This would be good instead of say touching one part of the wall of it, because it would provide more even heat flow:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0008.jpeg

The top of the chassis has a smaller inner ring (in the middle). this ring actually buts up against the top of the crucible and plugs the 4 air gaps. no wonder there is constricted airflow. Later I will show a mod you can do to increase airflow:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0007.jpeg

This is the view inside with the upper part on, but without the plastic spacer showing the airflow path:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0006.jpeg

This is normally how the pieces would fit together:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0005.jpeg

So if you put it back together with the spacer out:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0004.jpeg

And then drop the spacer in the top, it will leave some space above the airflow gaps to allow more air to flow:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0003.jpeg

I tried it and it gives a little more airflow. bigger clouds but less stamina to produce them. So you have a choice now, both in batteries and in to mod to increase airflow.

Here is how i pack: small screen in the bottom:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0002.jpeg

and then the salad and another small screen. nice thing is this enables for different packing densities: you can go loose for more airflow and big fluffy clouds, or tight for more regulated flow, smaller clouds, and no AVB in the crucible:

http://www.theplexus.com/Stuff/Arizer Solo/IMG_0001.jpeg

One thing I should point out about the airflow mod: it means you will be more likely to get AVB in the airflow and/or the unit chassis so beware of that.

I have been pondering this smell issue, as I have noticed it myself thanks to my warranty replacement ss solo. I have been looking at the pictures Vaplexus posted (+much rep), and it looks like the only place that smell could be coming from is from the wires to the heater. Vaplexus you had it apart, is the heater assembly sealed more or less?

And can you expand on your statement:

"Observation: on the inside of the case shell there is evidence of AVB suggesting AVB can get into the chasis:"

Lostclusters,
See again guys and gals. I am now hitting my solo and I placed it on my desk to warm up with the straight glass inserted. I was getting into my shooting game lol and I

EDIT: realized it was 420 lol so I had to press post before that lol. Well like I said it was on the desk and when I was into my games all of a sudden I smelled it. It smells like dirty feet or something? But for some reason I don't get any taste of it and once I start hitting it it doesn't seem to smell? Am I just imagining it? I even put my nose right to it right after I smelled a hint and it didn't seem to be strong? And I have a really good sense of smell? I am not worried as I cannot taste it and this vape is the best thing ever because it has no learning curve and gets huge clouds :)

DOUBLE EDIT: Just got it by 5 seconds ;)

VapeNStone,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hey guys,
I am in need of a standard charger as mine was recently donated to the Las Vegas Hilton (ok, so I forgot it in my room when I checked out).

Anyone have any idea if these can be McGyver'd from shit from Radio Shack? Or is the only viable option to get a replacement from Rockwise? I don't want to pay $50 for a stupid charger ($29.95 + $20 shipping) from Rockwise, but I don't know of any other options.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu,
Top Bottom