Arizer Solo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Okay, so I purchased my Solo off of ebay. I feel like I should have consulted you guys first, but what's done is done. Can any of you experts tell me if this is a good deal. The person has a good ebay rating and seems pretty honest.

Okay, I figured out how to do it without giving away my ebay account to the world. Here is the listing I bought.

For those of you who've bought the Solo, do you recommend buying a case. I am not going to be traveling with it to my knowledge, but I do like the concept of an airtight seal to keep all odors inside the case. None of the cases I've seen has a spot for a grinder. Does anyone have any recommendations for a case?

When I spoke to the people who apparently manufacture or, at the very least, hold the license to produce the product/issue warranties, the person with whom I spoke said that the grinder they give out with the Solo is the one perfectly suited for producing the consistency one needs for the Solo. She didn't try to sell me the more expensive Zeus grinder or anything like that. Does anyone have an experience with that grinder as it applies to the Solo? I have my own grinder, but she was rather adamant that that grinder they were giving away for free was the way to go.

So, to summarize my questions:

1. Does it look like I made a good purchase on ebay?
2. Is the model I bought the most up-to-date?
3. Should I buy a case? If so, which ones? (Any shared experiences would be great)
4. What is the deal with this Zeus grinder they are giving away? I was suspicious when she didn't try to get me to buy the more expensive model?
5. What grinders to you Solo owners use to achieve the best consistency for it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don't reason your purchase!
Enjoy your SOLO!
Please tell me what i need to connect the solo to the d20 bubbler? Can i use the adapters that come with the D20 or do i need to purchase something else??

One other thing, if i have a Pinnacle water tool, can i also use that with the D20? not sure why i would but you know might make it better...somehow...hahaha

The D020 requires a 18mm GonG available at PLANETVAPES.
If you have a 14mm just use a glass reducer 18mm to 14mm.

The PNWT had too much drag on the SOLO.
I think for the BUDDHA it would be a better pairing.
Not a bad piece of glass just I found it not a good match for the SOLO.
The D020 was only $28 including shipping and very little drag and pairs very well with the SOLO.
I have a out out dated BLACK LEAF BUBBLER I still use and love.
Kind of RETRO.

The D020 has a 18mm fitting.
Thick glass.
Very little drag.
Keep the water very low and find your sweet spot.
Adjust from there!

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

My experience is different! The PNWT has alittle more resistance than the d020 but not by much. I will do more testing on tuesday (after exams). But I think the problem might have been water levels. The PNWT is a very finicky piece of glass and it takes some experience to get the right levels. Thats because it has such a small volume. I will take a picture of the "right" (at least for me) water level that has very little resistance. I found the water being alot higher than the slits gives the least resistance.

tdriver

what are the output specs for the PA?
I have a bunch of power adapters from other projects lying around...... maybe try one out.

tdriver,
Reactions: OF

LazyIdol

My experience is different! The PNWT has alittle more resistance than the d020 but not by much. I will do more testing on tuesday (after exams). But I think the problem might have been water levels. The PNWT is a very finicky piece of glass and it takes some experience to get the right levels. Thats because it has such a small volume. I will take a picture of the "right" (at least for me) water level that has very little resistance. I found the water being alot higher than the slits gives the least resistance.

im not sure if you can do this in the PNWT but i have the 18mm GBD version and to fill mine I pour water in until it starts to siphon out of the bottom. The siphon drains the water to the perfect fill level almost every time. Its honestly my favorite feature of the tube because I can simply flush it out between bowls and it will even out to the right level. has anyone tried this with the PNWT?

LazyIdol,

olivianewtonjohn

im not sure if you can do this in the PNWT but i have the 18mm GBD version and to fill mine I pour water in until it starts to siphon out of the bottom. The siphon drains the water to the perfect fill level almost every time. Its honestly my favorite feature of the tube because I can simply flush it out between bowls and it will even out to the right level. has anyone tried this with the PNWT?

I have tried it and it does not give the optimal water level. It works but for lower resistance definitely want more water. I think what happens is as it siphons, more water comes out than if you slowly fill it up and shake to make sure all water goes to the bottom chamber.

olivianewtonjohn,
Reactions: LazyIdol

LazyIdol

I have tried it and it does not give the optimal water level. It works but for lower resistance definitely want more water. I think what happens is as it siphons, more water comes out than if you slowly fill it up and shake to make sure all water goes to the bottom chamber.
Thats a bummer, thanks for giving it a shot though. I agree with you, the 18mm GBD version is much larger than the PNWT as well so I'm sure the proportions and ratios are different as well.

Alex43rd

Arizer Air
Should I get Eds wooden stem (as a 14mm adapter and extra stem) or wait for the PV glass Gong? Need help.. This is driving me crazy..

Alex43rd,

tdriver

Be careful what you plug your unit into. I've heard of folks ruining their vapes because they plugged their unit into the wrong adapter.

I know, I have read about them.

but if the specs and polarity is right, I don't see why it wouldn't work as expected.
the PA is no magical box ,it is just a dc adapter.
still I haven't got an answer for the specs yet. I know the ps2 PA would work but I would like to know the exact specs printed on the PA. (if anyone is willing to share that info)

tdriver,
Reactions: Pipes

nads

Don't reason your purchase!
Enjoy your SOLO!

The D020 requires a 18mm GonG available at PLANETVAPES.
If you have a 14mm just use a glass reducer 18mm to 14mm.

I think for the BUDDHA it would be a better pairing.
Not a bad piece of glass just I found it not a good match for the SOLO.
The D020 was only $28 including shipping and very little drag and pairs very well with the SOLO.
I have a out out dated BLACK LEAF BUBBLER I still use and love.
Kind of RETRO.

The D020 has a 18mm fitting.
Thick glass.
Very little drag.
Keep the water very low and find your sweet spot.
Adjust from there!

The reason i wanted to know about both the D20 and PWT is because i have already ordered the D20 and also was thinking of ordering a PWT!!

But i do not want to buy two GonGs. One 18mm and one 14mm. Its already expensive at £25 each.

So is there only one Gong i can buy that will work with both?

Also is the D20 compatible with the PWT? Can i attach the PWT to the end of the D20 and use both at once?

olivianewtonjohn

but if the specs and polarity is right, I don't see why it wouldn't work as expected.
still I haven't got an answer for the specs yet. I know the ps2 PA would work but I would like to know the exact specs printed on the PA. (if anyone is willing to share that info)
PM OF he will answer all your questions

The reason i wanted to know about both the D20 and PWT is because i have already ordered the D20 and also was thinking of ordering a PWT!!

But i do not want to buy two GonGs. One 18mm and one 14mm. Its already expensive at £25 each.

Also is the D20 compatible with the PWT? Can i attach the PWT to the end of the D20 and use both at once?

1) Yes you can order a 14mm gong and then order a 14 to 18mm adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-MALE-1...549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb2d66fd

2) No they are not compatible and wouldnt make sense to use them together IMO.

Both are great devices with different functions, the d020 is pretty small but you have that mouthpiece to worry about vs the tube. Less to break for portability. But the d020 provides a better experience at home diffuses ALOT compared to the PNWT. Good contrasting pieces

poonman

WkzndBb.jpg

Alex43rd

Arizer Air
My green charge light is blinking while plugged in to the PA and in use. Is this normal?

EDIT: Now it stopped when i changed temp.

Alex43rd,

poonman

My green charge light is blinking while plugged in to the PA and in use. Is this normal?

I think you may have the latest/newest version , that allows using while it charges . What's the model # again ?
Anyways , just try it and see .

is that the powersupply from arizer/websites that sell them?

Yes , I got it from PIU along with the Solo .

Last edited by a moderator:
poonman,
Reactions: Alex43rd

rekrab

ok sweet ive been looking for those specs for a while, just gonna see if the source or some rc store will have something similar

rekrab,

nads

PM OF he will answer all your questions

1) Yes you can order a 14mm gong and then order a 14 to 18mm adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18MM-MALE-1...549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb2d66fd

2) No they are not compatible and wouldnt make sense to use them together IMO.

Both are great devices with different functions, the d020 is pretty small but you have that mouthpiece to worry about vs the tube. Less to break for portability. But the d020 provides a better experience at home diffuses ALOT compared to the PNWT. Good contrasting pieces

Ok thank you. As ive already ordered the d20 think i will stick with that one.

Damn was gona order that adapter from ebay until i realised that its $20 for shipping!!! Not cool.

Also i cant find the 14mm or the 18mm gongs anywhere!!! Be it in uk or us!!

At this rate im going to recieve my d20 and have no adapter to use it :(

Oh and one other thing if i find and buy the 18mm gong instead and late buy PNWT can i also get the reverse adapter? Ie. 18mm to 14mm

Thanks

nads,
Reactions: poonman

poonman

just to add to what olj said ,
Your D20 has an 18mm Female fitting ,
so you'll want to get an 18mm Male fitting Gong .

The PNWT also has a 14mm and 18mm Female fitting and is to be used like a HT . To be attached on top of Solo .
The D20 is a bubbler and the Solo is inverted into it .
The PNWT allows more portability than the D20 .
But if I had to just get one , I would get the bubbler .

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

Couple things being tossed around once again regarding old/new models charge/PA applications getting blended together.
Let's start with the older units pre-2014.? The units monitors the power input and depending on the voltage determines the function. If it sees 7.5-9 volts it goes into, what has been termed, PA mode. At this point the supply needs to be good for minimal 2.5 amps. (3+ amps better)
Now if the Solo sees 12 volts, it enters charge mode. If voltage is between the margins, or supply can't take it, expect a light show.
PA mode still uses batteries somewhat as provides power for brains and also will continue heat cycle, if power pulled out, until cycle is complete. It has been calculated to prolong a full charge by 5-6X the sessions you get on battery alone.
Note, that there have been many reports that it can be used with PA supply by itself "IF" the batteries are pulled out.
The new models from the data I've read are backward compatible for all the functions mentioned in the older models. The new model's software changes allows the batteries to charge while unit is being used. Meaning it goes into charge mode between heat cycles and trickle charges while in heating.
This has being a controversial subject as this type of practice is not good for batteries and many of us believe it will shorten the life more than marginally. Just like laptops been plugged in all the time while using or cell phone in cars being used for GPS. Not good battery edicate.

Hope this helps, it is getting confusing...

placetime

The new models from the data I've read are backward compatible for all the functions mentioned in the older models. The new model's software changes allows the batteries to charge while unit is being used. Meaning it goes into charge mode between heat cycles and trickle charges while in heating.
This has being a controversial subject as this type of practice is not good for batteries and many of us believe it will shorten the life more than marginally. Just like laptops been plugged in all the time while using or cell phone in cars being used for GPS. Not good battery edicate.

Hope this helps, it is getting confusing...

Thanks for posting all that info @Pipes! I still have some questions though. What's the voltage/amperage of the power supply that comes stock with the latest/2014 models? Can the stock power supply that comes with the latest models charge while the unit is being used, or do you need to buy a separate/different power supply for that? I've seen some places offer a separate power supply for sale that's different from the stock power supply--but maybe that's just for the older models?

Top Bottom