Arizer Solo

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I understand it's a bit of a bummer to discover something like that when you just got a new unit.

Others did report that the tightness of the new ring wears out after a few uses though, perhaps someone can confirm this or correct me if I got that wrong?

I think you can also ask Vaposhop for a refund if you mail the unit back to them. In NL webshops are obligated by law to take products back within 14 days after the purchase if the customer is unsatisfied with it for any reason what so ever. I'm not entirely sure how that law works if the customer isn't dutch though. You could send them an email too if you want to buy a more recent model, from what I gather the M106 runs a little hotter than the M105 as well.

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
My M106 looks exactly like the one in the picture OTA posted. The black ring is raised higher than the brown casing.

Gonzo,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
:facepalm:

See I actually emailed them before I bought it and asked if they sold M106's as I wanted the most recent and they assured me that the M105 units were fine and I didn't need a M106. I waited so long to get it but i'm also starting to notice that electronics taste is getting a little bit stronger since my last hour or so of running at preset 7 and I can actually taste it in my mouth a bit. Hmm if I get vaposhop to swap they will just give me another M105 perhaps I should contact arizer about it.

AceTK,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I had to go through Arizer to get my replacement M106 unit. EZvapes wanted to swap it out for another M103. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to get it back from Arizer but it was worth the wait and they sent two 4 hole stems to cover m return shipping charges.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hmmm, if it's also smelling I'd just try to get a refund from Vaposhop first, it may be the quickest way to get another one to you. Perhaps they stock the M106 series at LaCentraleVapeur?

Arizer refunded my return shipping costs through paypal right away when I asked them for it btw.

The first replacement got to my door within a week, but the second one took over a month. That one was shipped during the holidays though, and customs didn't noticed it was a warranty replacement that time so they held it for a little longer and charger me with a bunch of fees and taxes to boot.

Oh, the one I posted is a M105 too btw,in case anyone missed that.

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Email to Arizer sent. I just hope they swap it over. Did you have to clean and post all your stems along with your unit to arizer?

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
No, they just wanted the charger and Solo back in my case. I've got a bunch of extra stems now, which was a nice bonus.

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Hmm ok well i'm going to msg vaposhop too and see what they say. Il be honest though vaposhop seem a bit distant recently and are acting weird when I try to message them. Like you may have read earlier on in the thread I said they need not send me a free grinder and lighter and they agreed that two extra stems and some screens was a fitting replacement partly to say thanks for waiting a week delay for my order to ship. My order arrives and there is a free lighter and grinder in it. I get an email telling me they have dispatched just 1 tube to me in the post. I mean what gives?

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I somewhat share your experience with Vaposhop. They've always made good eventually but they're very good at screwing up little details like that and sometimes it takes ages for them to respond to email. It took me over two weeks once just to get two simple questions answered, sometimes they don't respond at all until I send them another (angrier) email or two.

I don't think it's intentionally, but they do come across as a bunch of unprofessional stoners at times.

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Well I'm at a loose end. Il just have to see what options present themselves. Hopefully il get a M106 that does not stink, has nice tight ring and heats up hotter than the M105.

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I feel for you man, it is a very strong smell?

If you don't want to wait for Vaposhop to reply through email you could consider giving them a phone call tomorrow during office hours. They should be a little more responsive that way, & they have someone that speaks English to answer the phone.

ps: if I were you I'd just ask Vaposhop to exchange it for one of their ceramic models, I like my old one way better then the new one. Even now that the chipping is getting worse and even with the fancy tight ring on the new one. If it does start chipping eventually & it does put you off you could always ask Arizer to replace it in the future for a newer model, who knows what other changes they will make in the upcoming months?

OhTheAgony,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
Yeah smell is pretty bad if I use it on preset 7 for a few consecutive cycles. I can actually taste it after its that bad. The stem seal thing bums me out but I can mod and live with it. The taste/smell on the other hand is a real fun breaker. Such a shame, im going to run a few more cycles at 7 without drawing in hope the smell dissipates.

AceTK,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I wouldn't want that myself as well. Mine needed a lot of heat cycles before the smell became noticeably less though, so perhaps it improves. The SS one that is.

People have had success in the past creating a better seal by putting a tiny piece of heat resistant (important detail) silicon tubing over the glass stem at about the height of where the new ring would be when the stem is inserted.

OhTheAgony,

MrNorml

AceTK said:
Yeah smell is pretty bad if I use it on preset 7 for a few consecutive cycles. I can actually taste it after its that bad. The stem seal thing bums me out but I can mod and live with it. The taste/smell on the other hand is a real fun breaker. Such a shame, im going to run a few more cycles at 7 without drawing in hope the smell dissipates.

That is really hot. I pretty much stay at 4. I have 2 M105 SS and they are flush. Stems are apparently hand-made and therefore slightly different sized, meaning some 'stick' and some don't. That is the stem, not the unit. Mine spin. I just hold it still with a finger - I always position it in the same way. I understood that the ridged chamber units were older ones. Maybe I'm wrong on that. If the spinning bothers you, try the straight stem. Hold by the unit, not the stem! (This is also true of Iolite.) I can't believe Arizer designed the thing to ever be held onto by the stem. If that were the case, there would be some way of securing the tube inside the unit somehow so it was not physically possible to have the tube fall out. (There is some expensive Solo-like unit that does just that.) And the unit is pretty heavy to be relying on the glass to support it (as opposed to it supporting the glass).

When one gets the unit, it should be run a couple cycles at highest temperature. Before being used. (That is also true of the Extreme Q.) If you didn't do that, it could be your tubing has some of that smell/taste in it. Make sure to clean the glass out really well if you used it during the first couple cycles, I would think.

MrNorml,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
When I got the unit I ran a whole 2 battery charges on 7 on my window near open window to clear any so called "manufacturing trace residues" and then used it for herb nearly constantly till now. Most bowls id do on 5 and only run up to 7 at end to finish off but then I just started starting on 7 so I could get maximum medication power and that's when it started to smell a lot worse. So far i've only really used the straight tube with exception of the un-ground, no screen bud vape test I did in the bent tube. I find I like the straight one as the oil runs back down and re-vapes leaving it looking very clean. As for the spinning i'm making do using the rubber plug and letting it rest against the tube. It won't work miracles but it does seem to provide enough freedom of movement and stops it jiggling around loose. But often if your mouth sticks just a little it will accidentally yank the tube out unless you press down on the rubber to tighten the grip a bit.

edit:

I just rolled up a very thin strip of plain white paper round the tube and now the unit hits really good!! Still tastes a bit weird but hits really nice now. Somehow blocking the gap at top makes a big big difference. I urge anyone who has not tried to try this now it really does help.

AceTK,

hogleg

On the loose stem subject I have noticed that if I get the stem out before the unit cools it seem to stay tighter but if left in it seems to cool an stay stretced out

hogleg,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
AceTK said:
*Even on temp setting 7 the ABV comes out looking really light brown, compared to my other vapes that left the ABV a deep dark roasted instant coffee powder kinda consistency.

My ceramic on 7 gets me that instant coffee color.
My SS on 7 gets me a dark brown, that's just a bit lighter than the ABV that comes out of my ceramic.

Edit:
So I missed all of page 168 before I posted this...
:rolleyes:

Frederick McGuire,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Frederick McGuire said:
AceTK said:
*Even on temp setting 7 the ABV comes out looking really light brown, compared to my other vapes that left the ABV a deep dark roasted instant coffee powder kinda consistency.

My ceramic on 7 gets me that instant coffee color.
My SS on 7 gets me a dark brown, that's just a bit lighter than the ABV that comes out of my ceramic.

Edit:
So I missed all of page 168 before I posted this...
:rolleyes:

Mee too... even my cooler M105 on 7 gave near black. I dont think I ever realized how dark you could vape herb until the solo.

and comment on who ever said its the variance in the glass causing tightness. I had a chance to test 3 units simultaneously at the same time and test with 8 stems some old 2 hole and mostly new 4 hole stems. Yes there is some variance in the size of the stems but the older M104 without the new ring that was always loose was always loose with all 8 stems. The new units with the extra ring all fit snugly with all 8 stems. There were no outliers here. In this test fit of the stem was clearly attributed to the unit and not the stem. I thought it was more going to be the stems but I was wrong. The loose fit never bothered me that much but I do appreciate the tighter fit and the security it affords the stem from getting dislodged accidently.

feel bad for the european folks having to deal with shipping issues across the pond.

and BTW thanks again to da ape. my 100 screens showed up via USPS in 2 days!!!!! will give some to friends. arizer should include these. beats the heck out of cutting em. bending em on a sharpie works like a champ.

ru_frothi,

Jens

I have a few questions concerning the solo from arizer. I know there is a gigantic thread about it, but i didn't feel like plowing trough 168 pages since my search terms mostly redirected me to that one thread.

1. What are the downsides of this vape in your opinion?
2. How does the m105 model compare to the m106? Do the teflon rim and such change it much?
3. When buying on amazon, you can find it for $175 sold by vapeUSA. This price seems a bit low, is the warranty still valid?
4. How many hits does a 0.1g bowl produce for you mostly. I know this can vary greatly due to quality of material used and temp used, but an average would be nice. I usualy vape highgrade and my DBV gives me about 20 hits working my way up the temps. I read about most people only getting about 8 hits on the solo.
5. How expensive is a battery replacement?
6. What is the cost of an adapter to use it without charging it? Can the solo be used indefinitely like this, even if the battery if broken?
7. The unit turns of after 12 minutes, is there any way to stop this or do you need to turn it on every time again? Does this prolonged heating damage the unit in any way?
8. Can the beep at the start and end of the session be turned off for stealth?

thx for your insight!

Jens,

darkrom

Great Scott!
1. Horrible taste, headaches, questionable materials, robotic fart smells. Those are all my personal experiences and not everyone is going to end up with a horrible one like mine, but the fact is some do.

I used to love it, now I hate it and got rid of mine and the warranty replacement. I don't trust the vape itself or the company anymore after my experiences.

darkrom,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Jens said:
I have a few questions concerning the solo from arizer. I know there is a gigantic thread about it, but i didn't feel like plowing trough 168 pages since my search terms mostly redirected me to that one thread.

1. What are the downsides of this vape in your opinion?
2. How does the m105 model compare to the m106? Do the teflon rim and such change it much?
3. When buying on amazon, you can find it for $175 sold by vapeUSA. This price seems a bit low, is the warranty still valid?
4. How many hits does a 0.1g bowl produce for you mostly. I know this can vary greatly due to quality of material used and temp used, but an average would be nice. I usualy vape highgrade and my DBV gives me about 20 hits working my way up the temps. I read about most people only getting about 8 hits on the solo.
5. How expensive is a battery replacement?
6. What is the cost of an adapter to use it without charging it? Can the solo be used indefinitely like this, even if the battery if broken?
7. The unit turns of after 12 minutes, is there any way to stop this or do you need to turn it on every time again? Does this prolonged heating damage the unit in any way?
8. Can the beep at the start and end of the session be turned off for stealth?

thx for your insight!

1. restrictive draw but really not many.
2. according to arizer no changes. They are always evolving their products.
3. yes I bought one for $155 from amazon and it was stinky and arizer replaced it no problem. (have bought 4 total, all frrom amazon or ebay)
4. I get 8-10 frrom 0.05g
5. $95 from arizer but DIY should be cheap and easy. see the thread here for more info.
6. $45
7. no it shuts off after 12 minutes and you turn it back on.
8. the sounds can be disabled

all this and more in the solo thread here.

ru_frothi,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
darkrom said:
1. Horrible taste, headaches, questionable materials, robotic fart smells. Those are all my personal experiences and not everyone is going to end up with a horrible one like mine, but the fact is some do.

I used to love it, now I hate it and got rid of mine and the warranty replacement. I don't trust the vape itself or the company anymore after my experiences.

My advice is to go to the search function, search for all posts by darkrom, read the Arizer/Solo related posts, and then decide how much credence to give this opinion.

pakalolo,

Jens

1. restrictive draw but really not many.
2. according to arizer no changes. They are always evolving their products.
3. yes I bought one for $155 from amazon and it was stinky and arizer replaced it no problem. (have bought 4 total, all frrom amazon or ebay)
4. I get 8-10 frrom 0.05g
5. $95 from arizer but DIY should be cheap and easy. see the thread here for more info.
6. $45
7. no it shuts off after 12 minutes and you turn it back on.
8. the sounds can be disabled

all this and more in the solo thread here.
thx for the reply, i know there is a great thread about it, but its kind of hard to find exactly the answer you are looking for when the search button just redirects you to the thread an not a specific page ;) i did some reading on the first few pages, but i had no idea where to begin reading after that since it is quite a lot of info.

For question 5&6 : do you have to buy battery and charger from arizer, or will other models work too? and when using an adapter, does it impact the battery life in any way?

The only thing that is stopping me from buying it is that it stops after 12 minutes. I just like to take a few tokes whenever i feel like it without having to keep an eye on the time so the unit doesn't shut off. I see how this is good for preserving battery life, but it would have been more convenient to just set it at the '1' temp when it isn't being used.
If for example i change the temp setting after 10 minutes , will it still shut down 2 minutes later?

Jens,

mari

>1. What are the downsides of this vape in your opinion?

It is pretty much perfect IMO
In the stock configuration the restricted draw can be difficult to get used-to: if you are actively moving about, your body needs more oxygen, and drawing on an Arizer after physical activity might feel suffocating. A restricted draw is necessary because batteries cannot maintain the desired temperature in the crucible if you begin pulling-in cold air too fast.

> 4. How many hits does a 0.1g bowl

Depending on what goes in, about 8

>6. What is the cost of an adapter to use it without charging it? Can the solo be used indefinitely like this, even if the battery if broken?

I use it indefinitely like this. Keeping the battery at medium charge.

>7. The unit turns of after 12 minutes, is there any way to stop this or do you need to turn it on every time again? Does this prolonged heating damage the unit in any way?

Mine drops the temperature after 12 minutes, but stays on. It gets fairly warm to the touch - my unit has been on a couple hundred hours now with no signs of damage

Arizer Solo my favorite vape! This M102 is just ... ~ I love you, you know it's true.. Mr. M102 I love you ~ (mr potatohead)

Surprised y'all arent getting the AC adaptor! Works great here.

mari,
Top Bottom