Arizer Solo II

OF

Sat looking at this post for minutes waiting for the picture to load only to realize there is no pic ........ right..?
:rofl: no pic was posted. :leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf:

More anecdotal evidence to the effectiveness of Solo.

Next, we graduate to the 'Energy Star' version where the subject stares in much the same way at a computer that's not turned on. Or hooked to the Internet.

Then to a virtual computer.

Talk about reduced Carbon Footprint......on top of which by not blazing we're deep into carbon capture, no nasty old Global Warming CO2 for us. Maybe we can get a government grant? Everyone else seems to be getting theirs......

OF

steamfunk

Hi guys... have not posted here since I picked up an e-nano like 4 years ago. No need to emphasize how awesome that lil log is, as everyone here likely knows already. Decided that I wanted to pick up something cordless, and got a solo2 in the hopes it would effectively be a portable log-style vape. I had no previous experience with arizer. I've been following this thread for the past 20-30 pages, so thanks to you all for being such nerds.

I'm a fan so far. I'm a lil disappointed that it's not super easy to pop the stem out between hits, but I suppose that's an unavoidable trait of this oven design. I like to sit there and space out for a while between hits, and I'm paranoid my herb is getting overcooked or wasted if I leave the stem in. With the e-nano this is a non-issue, as I always remove the stem after taking a hit. With the solo2, the stem currently fits so tightly that I'm nervous about wear and tear problems from constantly inserting and removing the stem like that. On the other hand, if I hold a light to the mouthpiece, I can definitely see a slight but constant wisp of vapor escaping between draws.

And thanks to how insanely fast this thing heats up, I've also considered just turning the thing off after a hit and turning it back on for another hit 10-15min later. To the more technical folks here, do you think constantly letting the unit heat and cool like that would pose any longevity issues? Better or worse than removing the stem but leaving the unit hot?

Also, so you guys know my style, I'm a high-ish temperature-shock vaper. I've generally been setting it to 400, which allows me to completely kill a stem in 4-6 hits. Cranking it past that to max temp doesn't seem to produce any further vapor once it stops producing at 400. I generally like vaping hot and getting those nice hits, and don't particularly care as much about preserving flavor by incrementally ramping up from a lower starting temp.

All in all, I've had the thing for a little over a week and have been enjoying very much. I feel theres still some technique and finesse I need to learn, and my ultimate goal is to find a method of hitting it that makes the experience as close to a portable e-nano as possible.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Hi @steamfunk you don't need to use a screen with the stock Solo 2 stem but you could add a dome screen, allowing you to use less cannabis. The Solo standard stem uses twice as much as my Enano. PlanetVape sells a short stem that uses less cannabis, it's called a shorty. It uses half as much as the standard Solo 2 stem.

steamfunk

Hi @steamfunk you don't need to use a screen with the stock Solo 2 stem but you could add a dome screen, allowing you to use less cannabis. The Solo standard stem uses twice as much as my Enano. PlanetVape sells a short stem that uses less cannabis, it's called a shorty. It uses half as much as the standard Solo 2 stem.

Yea, I've definitely got my eye on a shorty stem, but they all seem to be out of stock right now. I do not use metal screens, though. Though the solo stem definitely holds like 2x as much as the nano stem, I find that I'm still able to use the same amount in a pack. Compared to the nano stem, that quantity ends up wider and shallower, with more surface area exposed to direct heat than the slimmer nano stem. It makes the session not last as long, for sure, but the herb stays in there nicely if I pack it down a little.

Would also note that I prepare my herb with scissors (if fresher) or just finger-crush it (if dried out). I never use a grinder, as I feel my own scissor technique is superior to any grinder I've tried. I also just like using the scissors; I find it very zen in a ritualistic sort of way.

edit: Just took out a scale to confirm. The minimum I can pack in the solo stem is 0.1, which is my typical pack in the nano. I can go with less in the nano stem if I wanted, though, and the nano definitely makes 0.1 simply feel more satisfying than the solo does with the same amount in a bare stock stem.

I guess what I would really like is a solo stem that doesn't just make the bowl shallower, which is what I imagine the pvhes shorty does (?), but rather makes it narrower. It would use thicker glass around the bowl, such that the outer dimensions are still the necessary solo standard, while the inner dimensions of the bowl more closely resemble the shape of the e-nano bowl.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Solo OG has a looser fit far as the stem goes. It doesn't have the bells and whistles like the Solo 2 but it might fit your needs better. You've already made your purchase though. I would think over time the Solo 2 may get more loose holding the stem. I could be wrong about that. Nobody knows yet because this portable is pretty new.

Maybe someone could comment if their stem has gotten more loose over the last couple months. Mine is only a few days old.

OF

I'm a lil disappointed that it's not super easy to pop the stem out between hits, but I suppose that's an unavoidable trait of this oven design.

And thanks to how insanely fast this thing heats up, I've also considered just turning the thing off after a hit and turning it back on for another hit 10-15min later. To the more technical folks here, do you think constantly letting the unit heat and cool like that would pose any longevity issues? Better or worse than removing the stem but leaving the unit hot?

I wouldn't worry too much about the tight stem fit, it's going to loosen up over time/use some and even after it 'settles in' some stems are smaller than others, I'm sure you can find a favorite?

The 'which is better' idea is interesting. I'd say shutdown and reheat is probably the power winner since the average temperature is lower making thermal losses lower. OTOH high power/fast temperature changes are not good generally. Such 'cycles' typically end up defining lifespan in many cases. Making Mister Battery supply big bursts of power to get that rapid heating, and making the oven expand and contract has downside too of course so leaving the power on might make sense in some universes? Nearly a push. It's yours, use it the way you want?

edit: Just took out a scale to confirm. The minimum I can pack in the solo stem is 0.1, which is my typical pack in the nano. I can go with less in the nano stem if I wanted, though, and the nano definitely makes 0.1 simply feel more satisfying than the solo does with the same amount in a bare stock stem.

I guess what I would really like is a solo stem that doesn't just make the bowl shallower, which is what I imagine the pvhes shorty does (?), but rather makes it narrower. It would use thicker glass around the bowl, such that the outer dimensions are still the necessary solo standard, while the inner dimensions of the bowl more closely resemble the shape of the e-nano bowl.

Be careful what you wish for. Check out 'Sinclue's screen':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200981331675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can also get them from Ed, of 'Ed's stem' fame.....what better testimonial could you ask for? Anyway, put them in the stock stems 'dome up' and you end up with a bowl of about .125 grams that has a nearly ideal profile in that the herb is held close to the glass or floor of the oven. And they stay much cleaner since there aren't tiny ports for the vapor under the herb. Then, when they do foul, fish them out (I use a bent safety pin), hold them by the edge in something metal and 'torch them until they glow'. Dull red at least. Then brush the ash off, put 'em back in and load up. 3 minutes start to finish.

You'll like it.

OF

steamfunk

I wouldn't worry too much about the tight stem fit, it's going to loosen up over time/use some and even after it 'settles in' some stems are smaller than others, I'm sure you can find a favorite?

The 'which is better' idea is interesting. I'd say shutdown and reheat is probably the power winner since the average temperature is lower making thermal losses lower. OTOH high power/fast temperature changes are not good generally. Such 'cycles' typically end up defining lifespan in many cases. Making Mister Battery supply big bursts of power to get that rapid heating, and making the oven expand and contract has downside too of course so leaving the power on might make sense in some universes? Nearly a push. It's yours, use it the way you want?

Haha that was my layman's assessment as well. I'll figure out what's most fun. I'm not really going to concern myself with longevity, I've decided. If I get 2-3 years out of it, that will be fine by me. I'll likely have upgraded to a new latest greatest portable by then anyway, and the e-nano will always be there.

Be careful what you wish for. Check out 'Sinclue's screen':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200981331675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can also get them from Ed, of 'Ed's stem' fame.....what better testimonial could you ask for? Anyway, put them in the stock stems 'dome up' and you end up with a bowl of about .125 grams that has a nearly ideal profile in that the herb is held close to the glass or floor of the oven. And they stay much cleaner since there aren't tiny ports for the vapor under the herb. Then, when they do foul, fish them out (I use a bent safety pin), hold them by the edge in something metal and 'torch them until they glow'. Dull red at least. Then brush the ash off, put 'em back in and load up. 3 minutes start to finish.

You'll like it.

OF

I may give those a shot just to be open-minded about it, but I'm not really a fan of metal screens in general. Planet Vape, if you're listening, looking for that all-glass solution...

OF

I may give those a shot just to be open-minded about it, but I'm not really a fan of metal screens in general. Planet Vape, if you're listening, looking for that all-glass solution...

By all means try, they're plenty cheap. I get some guys are down on SS screens, but condensate covered SS is about the same as condensate coated glass, in fact one could argue better in some respects. FWIW fully oxidized (that part's important) SS is basically taste free by conventional standards to start with, but once it's covered the game changes again, this is a surface science deal. Only the surface of the condensate contributes. It's bulk and what's underneath that doesn't (unless it can dissolve in the bulk condensate to migrate to the surface).

If you close your eyes. And don't peek.

Be a fun blind test to do, wouldn't it? Get a group of 'experts' with blindfolds and see if they can tell you which load has a SS screen and which doesn't? Maybe we can get a government grant......

OF

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Be a fun blind test to do, wouldn't it? Get a group of 'experts' with blindfolds and see if they can tell you which load has a SS screen and which doesn't? Maybe we can get a government grant......
We'd have to use whole nugs or we'd be able to tell by the little bits getting through and into the mouth. I'm down for testing... Is the herb supplied? Where do I sign up? :razz:

By the way, thanks @OF for posting that link to the little recycler bubbler a few pages back. I ended up buying one tonight. Looks like a neat little piece -- for only $15, I couldn't pass it up! It's too bad I can't justify getting the new Solo 2 to go with it. My old Solo that I picked up in the classifieds here just keeps going and going... Maybe by the time mine quits running, the price on the Solo 2 will have gone down a bit. Or better yet, maybe there'll be a Solo 3 by then?

:spliff:

:peace:

OF

By the way, thanks @OF for posting that link to the little recycler bubbler a few pages back. I ended up buying one tonight. Looks like a neat little piece -- for only $15, I couldn't pass it up!

Cool. You're welcome, of course. Please let us know what you think of it when you get it? TIA. I hope more owners will get on board. Early on in Solo I we 'all' bought into a similar bubbler I think CK found originally. "The Infamous Bubbler", did a modestly good job in a compact package for not much money. I bought a spare, it's still stashed away in bubble wrap.

FWIW I agree we have to standardize the herb. That's what the grant is for I figure, we get Uncle Sam to front our stash? We'll tell anyone interested what we find, of course.

OF

ManFlies352

My Arizer Solo 2 officially shipped yesterday from PuffItUp! Man, Randy is amazing to deal with and I'm super excited!

One question - seeing a lot about doing "burn offs" here to get rid of any manufacturing gunk on the heater. Never really done that before, how does it work? Just max out the temperature with nothing in it for a few sessions? How many sessions are people doing like that? Thanks!

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
My Arizer Solo 2 officially shipped yesterday from PuffItUp! Man, Randy is amazing to deal with and I'm super excited!

One question - seeing a lot about doing "burn offs" here to get rid of any manufacturing gunk on the heater. Never really done that before, how does it work? Just max out the temperature with nothing in it for a few sessions? How many sessions are people doing like that? Thanks!
Use abv in there at full temp then dump:tup: That's my way im sure there are others

BigJr48

One question - seeing a lot about doing "burn offs" here to get rid of any manufacturing gunk on the heater. Never really done that before, how does it work? Just max out the temperature with nothing in it for a few sessions? How many sessions are people doing like that?

Two normally but three burn offs max, no more.

BigJr48,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Hey, Folks. I love my Solo II but am sad to report I got an 'Error Code 7' today. Keeps happening. *sigh*

Arizer is telling retailers to have customers send their defective units directly to them. I went through Planet Vape and that is what I was told.

Here is part of the email I sent to 'service@arizer.com' (as per their website instructions under 'Support' / 'Troubleshooting'):

"I ordered the Solo II from Planet Vape (invoice attached) and received it last week.

After about 15 uses in total, 'Error Code 7' was displayed on the screen and the unit shut off. When I turned it back on, it wouldn’t heat up. After waiting 5 minutes, I turned it on and it heated up OK. After about 2 minutes, the same error code popped up and the unit shut off. I have repeated this scenario 4 times now to make certain there is indeed a problem. And there is."

For what's it worth, I do crank it up to 220 C (max temp) near the end of my session and wonder if it's an overheating issue? Also, 3 of the times the error occurred I was spinning my PVHES stem in the oven to prevent crumbs from sticking to the bottom. Maybe I shifted things a bit as the stem is a tight fit?

Anyhow, I hope to hear from Arizer soon so I can have my Solo II back. Love the unit and hope Round 2 works out better.

OF

Hey, Folks. I love my Solo II but am sad to report I got an 'Error Code 7' today. Keeps happening. *sigh*

Bummer for sure. Any idea what "Error Code 7" means? It's a code.....one would hope a clue to someone with a secret decoder ring.....

Please keep us posted, as I'm sure this is something we'd all like to avoid?

TIA

OF

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Bummer for sure. Any idea what "Error Code 7" means? It's a code.....one would hope a clue to someone with a secret decoder ring.....

Please keep us posted, as I'm sure this is something we'd all like to avoid?

TIA

OF
Secret decoder ring, huh? Never thought about that...

Yes, I will keep you all posted for sure on how this process unfolds.

As I will have to send it back, I am hoping Arizer will empower Planet Vape to send me a replacement (or send one themselves) so I don't have to wait too long. They are a reputable company and I am counting on good customer service.

Last edited:

Solosummers

Congrats U will super enjoy it* Been enjoying mine with wax concentrates mixed with my cannabis* Hitting higher levels*

Cantibliss

O.G. bliss
Will someone please recommend a favorite stem or water filter for the solo II?
*please provide link to U.S. site

thank you

:science:

Cantibliss,
Reactions: BigJr48
Top Bottom