Applying “Spark Joy” to a vaporizer collection

Choices

Hi All, The Mrs. is fired up to downsize, simplify, reduce clutter, etc. in our home and I am in agreement on pretty much all levels. Like many our possession footprint is too large and needs a reset. I need to do this for my vape collection as it has become unwieldy, not to a “Troy and Jerry” level but certainly it is more than I will likely ever need while on this planet. Have others here embarked on this journey and if so how did you rid yourself of those you decided to part with? I haven’t a huge number of friends who partake so giving them away is out of the picture. I could make a donation to @Vitolo but seem to be unsure of that process as well. I just know I have a number of vapes that aren’t “My Precious” any longer and need to go away. Thanks in advance for any insights on thinning the herd!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
For me it’s all about self reflection and being honest regarding what truly serves a purpose; and what is ultimately just redundancy.

I run my sapphire powered flower and oil desktops off the same enail controller. And I like a good live resin cartridge on my Uni Pro for my on demand portable needs. And I have a DynaVap for off-grid/backup/everything else. Done. All bases covered.

For me it’s all about vapor quality, I don’t really feel compelled to teeter-totter between other devices. There’s “my favorite vape” and everything else is just that - the rest of the pack.

Now I do have some other stuff, but it’s basically in the “vape graveyard.” I sometimes tinker around with parts from the graveyard so it’s not entirely worthless, but nothing that I’d probably miss if it was gone.

:2c:

arb

Semi shaved ape
For me it’s all about self reflection and being honest regarding what truly serves a purpose; and what is ultimately just redundancy.

I run my sapphire powered flower and oil desktops off the same enail controller. And I like a good live resin cartridge on my Uni Pro for my on demand portable needs. And I have a DynaVap for off-grid/backup/everything else. Done. All bases covered.

For me it’s all about vapor quality, I don’t really feel compelled to teeter-totter between other devices. There’s “my favorite vape” and everything else is just that - the rest of the pack.

Now I do have some other stuff, but it’s basically in the “vape graveyard.” I sometimes tinker around with parts from the graveyard so it’s not entirely worthless, but nothing that I’d probably miss if it was gone.

:2c:
You just used "vapor quality" and "dynavap" in a manner that confuses me.
😂

Choices

So what I'm hearing is you want to sell me a lightly used VapBong for half price. I got you fam!
Good one! I actually never got around to ordering many desktops. I have a Volcano and beyond plugin setups are more of the multi use setup: A Dynavap M I use with my Caldron and a Vapman and Station setup. Pretty much all the rest are portable devices. I guess my Minivap has the plug in puck but I rarely use it that way. Same with my MFLB and it’s power adapter...

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Well, after missing out on a killer deal for a V1 Milaana in the FC Classifieds, I’ve subscribed, so consider this a plug for that!

Personally, I’ve been on a slow-motion quest to get “the one” in every use category that I enjoy. Like you, I prefer portables, so it’s “best butane indirect” vs “best butane direct” vs “best regulated battery” vs “best unregulated” etc. I’m holding myself to just one in each— doesn’t need to be the most popular, just the one that speaks to me loudest. If I include both conduction and convection vapes, I’m still looking at maybe 6 tops?

Always fighting the urge to create new categories though, like “best palmable bubbler you can throw in a drawer when the kids run in.” That said, I do see a robust J-hook in my future.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You just used "vapor quality" and "dynavap" in a manner that confuses me.
😂

Dude are you trying to flip the canoe? 😁

I definitely understand where you’re coming from, for me it’s all about the intended usage - I don’t consider the Dyna to be a flavor saver so it doesn’t get used in those circumstances; but where it fills a void for me is being the vape that can take a fall in the river, or be heated with a Bic lighter, or propane burner. This doesn’t make it a daily driver for me, but I realized it honestly gets picked up more than any of my other flower portables. I think because a torch lasts so long and fills so quick makes it an easy grab, I don’t have to think about the last time I charged an 18650.

Choices

Dude are you trying to flip the canoe? 😁

I definitely understand where you’re coming from, for me it’s all about the intended usage - I don’t consider the Dyna to be a flavor saver so it doesn’t get used in those circumstances; but where it fills a void for me is being the vape that can take a fall in the river, or be heated with a Bic lighter, or propane burner. This doesn’t make it a daily driver for me, but I realized it honestly gets picked up more than any of my other flower portables. I think because a torch lasts so long and fills so quick makes it an easy grab, I don’t have to think about the last time I charged an 18650.
This is why I’ll likely hang on to most of my butane option vapes. My set of four M vapes is easier to pack along than anything else. Plus a torch has a lot of other uses to a camper...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I really should thin out, sell some things that don't get used, that are fancy and could yield a large price, but the customized handcraft nature keeps me from doing it! Too easy to collect without use lol the cheapo session conduction vapes were much easier to part with so I did thin those out long ago...

Choices

I really should thin out, sell some things that don't get used, that are fancy and could yield a large price, but the customized handcraft nature keeps me from doing it! Too easy to collect without use lol the cheapo session conduction vapes were much easier to part with so I did thin those out long ago...
Wanna Elevape 2.0?😁

Shit Snacks

Wanna Elevape 2.0?😁

Yeah I still have my 1.0! It is one of the originals, from the first production run of 50, unfortunately it is brick with a dead battery and I had snoozed on my chance to have it fixed before Joe and the company vanished... We had such lofty ambitions for them!

Found someone to buy my buddy's ESV, which was still working at the time, but he was too lazy to ever actually send it to France and get some cash back lol Fortunately though I was able to sell my Haze Square while it was still working well to PPN at least!

Usually if I am selling, it is sooner than later, because I only bought the item to try it or fulfill a need at a specific time and then did not have that need anymore (like Mighty and Cloud Evo) so yeah I don't sell as much as I used to... I do have a lot of accessories I need to get rid of though, will be listing a grinder soon lol

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
@Choices You could sell one or two of the more valuable vapes to pay for the postage to send the ones you donate to Vitolo's worthy cause.
As to how to decide which vapes go? Pull them all out and put them on a table/bed/floor. Pick each one up one at a time, hold it........look at it......if it sparks joy place it in the joy pile, if unsure place it in the maybe pile, if no joy then it goes straight into a cardboard box labeled gifts/donation.
Once you have done the first sorting, go through the maybe pile again.
Anything left in the maybe category after this round is a keeper.
If you feel you still have too many vapes don't worry too much, just repeat the process in a few months. Practice makes perfect.
Good luck. :spliff:

Shit Snacks

@Choices You could sell one or two of the more valuable vapes to pay for the postage to send the ones you donate to Vitolo's worthy cause.
As to how to decide which vapes go? Pull them all out and put them on a table/bed/floor. Pick each one up one at a time, hold it........look at it......if it sparks joy place it in the joy pile, if unsure place it in the maybe pile, if no joy then it goes straight into a cardboard box labeled gifts/donation.
Once you have done the first sorting, go through the maybe pile again.
Anything left in the maybe category after this round is a keeper.
If you feel you still have to many vapes don't worry too much, just repeat the process in a few months. Practice makes perfect.
Good luck. :spliff:

Yeah that is the Marie Kondo style? Holding it to see if it sparks joy, in order to save it instead of tossing it... My problem with that is most everything brings joy, because it calls to mind the memories and I have too much affection for inanimate objects :lol:

west-elec

A warning about sellers remorse. I recently sold 20 odd vapes to free up some cash and space. Most I would never miss but there is a few, no longer available, that I now deeply regret selling and know I'll never be able to replace. Much history has been lost.
Looking back on the collection it represented both the vaporizer industry's progression over the years and my own search for the best.
In hindsight I tried to sell everything I didn't use but should have picked out those devices that were milestones along the way to what I like today.
There should be a vape museum in Amsterdam or somewhere. Please donate all historic pieces to be preserved indefinitely.

Choices

A warning about sellers remorse. I recently sold 20 odd vapes to free up some cash and space. Most I would never miss but there is a few, no longer available, that I now deeply regret selling and know I'll never be able to replace. Much history has been lost.
Looking back on the collection it represented both the vaporizer industry's progression over the years and my own search for the best.
In hindsight I tried to sell everything I didn't use but should have picked out those devices that were milestones along the way to what I like today.
There should be a vape museum in Amsterdam or somewhere. Please donate all historic pieces to be preserved indefinitely.
Thank you for the insight. This is very helpful.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I don't have a very big collection, but I'd hate to lose any of them!

Only if I were out of income, in-debt, and had to sell one to have enough money to keep the lights on or to eat.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I've donated a few generic box vapes from years ago to Vito's charity and gave a few silver surfers away to friends (purchased very cheaply on craigslist); I probably have some more stuff I could pass on and it's a good feeling. My recommendation is to spend a good week with each vaporizer to really ascertain how you feel about it. Not just one session, that's too impulsive I think. I'm in the process of selling some guitars and it's the same dilemma. The best way I know to decide what to keep is to take each guitar and spend at least a month with it to really have a feeling about it one way or the other, if there's a deep connection or not.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
And here I hope to have a museum worth of the history of vaporizing hardware after a couple more decades. Hopefully I can have an entire room dedicated to the hobby!

I'm now opening up to searching for older "antique" vaporizers on the used collectors market to fill in spots in my collection with older vapes that were important steps in the history of the technology.

If I were to get rid of anything I have now, then I would just be creating holes in my collection that I will need to re-fill in the future...and it might cost me more at that point to buy the item again!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, about Vape Museum, I have a friend in Paris who is trying to build something like that, he's a retailer and I believe he made a "Smoker Museum" by the past. I planned to send him a few vaporizers (ThermoVape Evo, ESV, NimbinVap) but I realized the most interesting are gone or are keepers. Yes there is some vaporizers I regreted to sell (Vrip Wand, Lotus, Cloud+). I have to sell more stuff also... i.e I have a Herbie510, a Glow rcv14, a Glow rcv18, a Iheat and a Imp, all 510 based devices with the same purpose, so it's pretty redundant but I can't decide which one(s) to let to go, as well I have a TM, TKV, DIY 510, Bowle and AirVape Legacy so basically it's 10 units filling the same purpose (or close), yes it's too much!

Edit: edited cause I forgotten my 2 GHs and 2 Squares!

Last edited:
Top Bottom