Anyone into smoking/barbecue food in here?

2 Cycle

I love the barbecue! Gear includes a blackstone 28" propane griddle, Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker with cold smoker chute. Pork, beef, fish, venison I have smoked them all. I think salmon is my favorite. So easy with brown sugar and salt brine

PoopMachine

I smoke a good bit of meat in the summer. I have a Smoke Vault propane powered smoker. I love it. I had an electric smoker and hated it.

Ribs are my specialty although I do other stuff.

HighSeasSailor

In my tiny ass hometown, back when I was a little sailor, there was only one barbecue place in town, and it was an ancient, decrepit building owned by an even more ancient black man named Fred who made the sweetest meat you've ever eaten.

The business was something of a marvel. Should you choose to eat here, the only source of beverage was a 1940s Coke vending machine, for which the bottles must be returned without exception. There was a small b/w tv set, that only received one channel and badly at that, only half of the dining area was actually lit, and the walls were plastered with presidential calendars dating back through most of the 20th century. He never took down the old one, he just put a new one up next to the old one.

Regardless, one year, before thanksgiving my brother and I had noticed a large turkey in the freezer chest at home, only to find it missing a few days before the big event. When we asked what happened to it, our mother told us she gave it to Fred to smoke.

Now, my brother and I frequently snuck out back to smoke a little holiday cheer ourselves, but we were puzzled. Surely not even Fred would smoke a fucking bird? I mean I'd heard that turkey contains chemicals that make you sleepy and I suppose combusting that would probably get you high as fuck, but come on Fred, that's our goddamn dinner you're toking on.

I guess in the end Fred was grateful for our generosity, maybe our turkey really did get him stoned off his old ass, because on thanksgiving he brought us a pretty fucking delicious bird to replace the one he smoked, all cooked up sweet and much nicer than how my mother usually did it.

Fred was a cool guy. Wherever you are Fred, I hope you're smokin' a fat bird for me.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've had an electric Traeger pellet stove/smoker for over 16 years: I love it. They used to make them over in Oregon. Mine is a digital model (Pro 100 - no longer made), which means I have a modicum of control over oven temp. Yes, it's cheating, but totally tastey.

2 Cycle

I know my masterbuilt smoker is kind of cheating but damn them ribs are tasty! It is a fun hobby and rewarding

2 Cycle,
Reactions: Squiby

crawdad

floatin
chicken, turkey, beef jerky, burgers (yes, burgers)...those go in haphazard rotation on my bbq bong. i tend to favor fish grilled but smoked is pretty damn good too.

Top Bottom