Anybody like wine?

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I just recently began to drink wine and I must say that I do enjoy it from time to time. I drank nothing but rum and beer for most of my life and the effects of wine seem to be slightly different. I don't really care for many darks but I am currently drinking some Moscato and it tastes pretty good.

Anybody else enjoy wine? Recommendations?

tranceporter,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

beach bum

If you are happily drinking Moscato, you may also like Riesling (Chateau St. Michele is available in a lot of grocery stores). Do you like to sip your wine on it's own, or pair it with food?

beach bum,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
a glass of Merlot most days at 4PM with NPR's All Things Considered ... and a vape session.

i buy box wine these days -- taking that many glass bottles to the county recycle bin is a hassle.

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I used to brew my own beer and I dabbled with a couple of (quick) wines as well. Winemaking is a neat hobby as well, but it takes a long time to make it right. In fact, I still have 2 bottles of mead that I made a few years back. Im hanging on to them for another decade or so before I even think of cracking one. :D

steiner666

Serial vapist
I'm a huge fan of the german mosel rieslings. riesling spätlese is my favorite type probably (from different names), but my daily wine (lunch wine esp) is zeller schwarze katz. moscato is the favorite of a family member, so i will have a glass of that now and then too.

it's a rare (but definitely welcome) occasion when i get to have a good sauternes or port wine.

steiner666,

ll11

Sauvignon blanc is a good white, just a little sweet and goes well with a variety of foods.

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
Another wine drinker here :rockon:

I prefer dry reds, like Cab Sav, Shiraz, Rioja etc. In summer, a crisp sparkling white wine also goes down nicely. Freixenet is a fave.

I much prefer beer and find that it holds alot more complexity given the nature of almost infinite sugar sources, bittering, and spicing.. But I still love a good wine for its own strengths. I work approximate to the industry shall we say and participate in a good number of tastings, say 3-5 a month. I think European wines, especially Italian and to a lesser extent Spanish, tend to annihilate American offerings - they're generally more restrained, better balanced and just more to my liking. On the other hand, the archetypal butter-bomb California Chardonnay is a perfect example of everything I dislike in wine.

charliedontsurf,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
My favorite reds usually come from Spain or South Africa, but I had some tasty California ones as well. Heck, I even had some delicious dutch wines while our climate doesn't really suits grapes. I don't think generalization works here either.

I used to drink a lot of beer, but for the last few years I can't really stand the taste anymore strange enough. Sometimes a cold one on a hot day is nice though, once or twice a year perhaps, but I can never finish a second one anymore for some reason, while I used to be one of the heavier drinkers in our group of friends. I must be getting old quick, I'm not even 40 yet :(

OhTheAgony,

hermes421

Anybody else enjoy wine? Recommendations?[/quote]

Having the proper stemware is important. there is a glass for red and another for white. They usually come in a box of 4 glasses. I find that it is so easy to break the stems that it is good to have a few backup glasses around. Pour some into the glass and then cradle the goblet in your hand and swirl the wine around the glass and inhale. This is what I like to call volatizing the esthers. then take a sip, hold it in your mouth, pucker your lips and suck in air. you will feel the wine bubble around your tongue and the full taste will be realized as it also will cleanse your palate. Then you take some food, eat a bite, and then do the wine again.

hermes421,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I haven't been able to enjoy reds since an episode of Salmonella poisoning after drinking a lovely cab.

But, whites I love! Pinot Grigio and Savignon Blanc are my current favorites; dry and crisp and ice cold.

One of my other loves in life is a Greek white wine called Retsina. It's a magical wine infused with pine resin. I've been know to get a little crazy on this wine... :nod: OPA!

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Salmonella from red wine is very disturbing! That said, I do believe that wine has an obligation to be red. A really nice cheap Merlot that I couldn't recommend more is called "Papi" from Chile. It costs $6 a bottle and in my neighborhood if you order a case they'll throw in 2 free bottles and deliver it. 2009 is a better year than 2010 if you can find it, but 2010 is very good just the same.
Sipping red wine is a perfect adjunct to vapor - it's a perfect compliment of flavor and effects.

Years ago I bought a very cool cork screw used on Ebay - it's called "screw pull." It's simple and makes the cork removal almost effortless.

I keep bottles stored in a dark cool cabinet and after I open a bottle I'll pour it into the glasses for an hour or two to breathe rather than just let it sit in the bottle open. It aerates better that way.

A friend of mine writes an interesting, informative and funny blog on red wine, it's called "Red Wine Haiku." Worth searching out....

Generally I don't drink wine with vapor - I do so about once a week; that's enough for me and makes it a special treat. I find it very easy - too easy in fact - to finish a full bottle in one sitting; before I know it the bottle is empty. A friend will have one glass and I'll finish the bottle. After all, vapor makes you thirsty. So yeah, just once a week.

Two more things and then I'll shut up.

I tend to prefer, on a nightly basis, drinking herbal tea with vapor. My current fave is Gotu Kola. It's an herb from Africa; it's delicious, it produces a similar sedative effect like wine and it's actually good for you and has beneficial properties regarding brain function. Delicious with a little bit of stevia for sweetener. I buy the herb loose; it's very inexpensive. I use a French Press to separate the boiling water from the herb - it's quite good.

Also, this is a once in a while thing, but I have something called "mama juana." It's special roots and herbs that sit in rum for about a month or so - it's super strong but the effect is quite amazing. It almost has a medicinal quality to it and that's the actual purpose of it. Once you're done with the bottle you refill it back up with rum and let it sit again, for a good month. Supposedly it lasts forever.

This is what it looks like -
270px-Mamajuana.jpg

turk

turk
...Jeffp said:
Generally I don't drink wine with vapor - I do so about once a week; that's enough for me and makes it a special treat. I find it very easy - too easy in fact - to finish a full bottle in one sitting; before I know it the bottle is empty. A friend will have one glass and I'll finish the bottle. After all, vapor makes you thirsty. So yeah, just once a week.
....well this is a problem I just can't blame on vaping....working on it...

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Salmonella from red wine is very disturbing!

Oops.... I guess I should have been more clear! It wasn't the wine that gave me Salmonella.... it was the food I ate with it. I just haven't been able to bring myself to drink red wine since then. Pity too. It was Oberon, which is an especially nice cab.

momofthegoons,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Oops.... I guess I should have been more clear! It wasn't the wine that gave me Salmonella.... it was the food I ate with it. I just haven't been able to bring myself to drink red wine since then. Pity too. It was Oberon, which is an especially nice cab.

I get that. My Dad had me eat black licorice when I was a kid, and now I hate anything like licorice. Now I hate things like fennel just because of that one incident.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks

Thanks for clearing that up, you had me confused for a minute as well :lol:

I have basically the same thing with baked liver unfortunately, but luckily I didn't have any wine with it at the time.

It's been 7 years now but I still can't smell the stuff, let alone eating it. Never really had an association that lasted this long before, it's kinda strange to have such an aversion against something I really enjoyed in the past.

The poisoning itself wasn't even that bad, besides the projectile vomiting anyways. I even had my one and only hallucination when it happened, something I could never achieve when it was wanted.

Good times.. :puke:

OhTheAgony,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
I love wine, thank you! I'm originally from Kentucky, so I'm a bourbon boy at heart, but when I moved to the SF Bay Area I started drinking wine and haven't looked back (though I'm sipping a bourbon now :brow:) . A slippery slope it is to love wine. I'm into Spanish reds these days, and I have yet to find a Walla Walla, WA wine that I don't like. They make GREAT wines in the Pac NW.

Vapinghole,

hermes421

I reside in the Napa Valley...of the north that is, located in the micro climate area of the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario, Canada. Here we have an abundance of Winery Estates. There was a movie made called Sideways? which was about 2 guys travelling thru wine country in Napa/sonoma valley and the Niagara wine belt is much the same, albiet with cooler temperatures. I like to try some newer iterations and recently discovered Pinotage. I am guessing this is Pino Noir and Hermitage... a nice red on its own and for white Chenin Blanc a dry white with a little more body that sauvignon blanc.

hermes421,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I also find it easy to kill a whole bottle of wine. I'll keep pouring glass after glass and not even realize how muh I've drank. The wine drunk is such a mellow and happy state. I will try a few the kinds mentioned in this thread

tranceporter,

turk

turk
....you know I only have that problem with whites.....I never kill a whole bottle of red in one sitting....no matter how good it is....white wines are just easier to go down....

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I reside in the Napa Valley...of the north that is, located in the micro climate area of the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario, Canada. Here we have an abundance of Winery Estates. There was a movie made called Sideways? which was about 2 guys travelling thru wine country in Napa/sonoma valley and the Niagara wine belt is much the same, albiet with cooler temperatures. I like to try some newer iterations and recently discovered Pinotage. I am guessing this is Pino Noir and Hermitage... a nice red on its own and for white Chenin Blanc a dry white with a little more body that sauvignon blanc.

Sideways was a really good movie. Sandra Oh is always excellent - a great actress. If you like her, check out a movie called "Last Night." It sounds like a romantic comedy by the title but it's not. It's a dark little story about the last night on Earth; I think it takes place in Toronto, and it's a character study of what people do and how they behave when they know that the world will end that midnight. Ironically, her first scene is in a store selecting a bottle of wine.

Top Bottom