Any reason to buy ball vape after butane desktop vape?

Durbandream

I own three vapes right now, the Air Max, the Terpcicle and the 18mm Quartz cap. I love them all and they all do their own jobs extremely well, so I'm not really feeling the VAS itch, but I am curious about what potential benefits a ball vape would have over the butane heated glass devices. The 18mm QC especially hits like a truck and heats up quickly, so I'd want something that can hit at least as hard. Do ball vapes offer different effects or is it mostly in the ease of use? Thanks!

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
You might also try a butane compatible portable ball vape like the Stunner or the Thermal Accumulator (keep an eye on the Tempest as well but it's not yet available). They hit really hard and the signature is different than those glass vapes as it's mostly convection heating.

I'm very happy with my Stunner which I use with an IH but I know many who are happy with it as a butane vape. Not only will it not break if you drop it but hey, it's portable too 😁.

Durbandream

You might also try a butane compatible portable ball vape like the Stunner or the Thermal Accumulator (keep an eye on the Tempest as well but it's not yet available). They hit really hard and the signature is different than those glass vapes as it's mostly convection heating.

I'm very happy with my Stunner which I use with an IH but I know many who are happy with it as a butane vape.
I've had my eye on the Stunner for a while now. I guess the main reason I've shied away from those is I heard the flavor isn't as good but is that not true? And what is the signature like? The Quartz Cap is more convection than conduction and the effects are kind of spacier than my conduction heavy vapes, is that similar to the Stunner?

Durbandream,

TedJones

You can definitely take more time with your sesh with a ball since it doesn’t loose heat like your cap does. Wait more between pulls of want. More or less, you know exactly what pull you’re getting with the temp set & rig in use. Many bowl options. Just got to wait for that heat up, unlike the instant torch.

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
You get to tell your still combusting freinds You vapourise through rubies Rubies, and they are so pretty......
Once heated up I leave my coil running while im awake. Always On demand.
The heat up only takes a few minutes depending on open or covered coil and material the baller injector head/diffuser is made from.
You can get baller heads made out of Zirconium, and vape through Rubies and Diamond......

ball vapes have some neat perks. smoother hits, even heating, and great flavor! plus, they're super portable for on-the-go use. for me, each vape has its unique charm, so it's all about personal preference:)

Artrix Global,

howie105

I own three vapes right now, the Air Max, the Terpcicle and the 18mm Quartz cap. I love them all and they all do their own jobs extremely well, so I'm not really feeling the VAS itch, but I am curious about what potential benefits a ball vape would have over the butane heated glass devices. The 18mm QC especially hits like a truck and heats up quickly, so I'd want something that can hit at least as hard. Do ball vapes offer different effects or is it mostly in the ease of use? Thanks!
It depends on what one is looking for. As examples for stomping my butt into the mud, it's still a torch powered vape (Brick or Elev8r), for long evening on then couch it is another type of vape (LSV, Surfer) and for parties with a mix of smokers and vapers it a modded Plenty. Neither of the ballers currently in use (Elev8r or ZX Zirconia) works as well in the above roles. However, for good temperature control, taste and adaptability they rock. The approach around here is to identify need or want and then matching the vape to the job.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I've had my eye on the Stunner for a while now. I guess the main reason I've shied away from those is I heard the flavor isn't as good but is that not true? And what is the signature like? The Quartz Cap is more convection than conduction and the effects are kind of spacier than my conduction heavy vapes, is that similar to the Stunner?
Yes, I would say the Stunner gives that spacier, airy high. The draw is pretty wide open so that's also different than most conduction heavy vapes. As for the taste, I think the Stunner is very tasty but I wouldn't say it's tastier than all-glass vapes I've tried. Pretty hard to beat an all-glass vape for taste.

TigoleBitties,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Eh, all vaporizers have their pros and cons.

It's nice to have a variety of devices and cycle through them occasionally to avoid building up a "tolerance" to a single device.

I have handled some early ball vaporizers when they first hit the market and they are powerful machines. But I have no need for them alongside all the other countless devices in my collection haha.

Still I say you should a variety from high powered desktops and butane devices to smaller stealthier low-powered electric portables like the Pax or ArGo

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
IMHO this is more of a question of how/where you prefer to use, and your preference for variety or repeatability.

As stated above every vape has its use case, style, signature, and taste profile.

Ball vapes are good for repeated, large hits, with weed crushing power. Can you use it as a microdoser? Yeah and I guess you can use a shoe to pound in a nail too.

Durbandream

Have you considered butane ball vapes like the Quartz Thunderbolt and Sand Castle ? (if you've got a big torch already)
I gotta say the big torch scares me to be honest and I much prefer a coil but my DiY Sand Castle is tasty big hitter (kinda like an Elev8R with more oomph) so if you've not got a big torch already I'd put the money towards an enail setup instead.
The big torch scared me too at first, but now I really like using it! It's so quick and efficient. I'll definitely take a look at these two

Durbandream,
Reactions: Hippie

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Durbandream Just wanted to say one thing about the following statement, while it is true for 18mm ball vapes like the Quaroma, Zeal, TKO and whatever uses the 22mm Shovelhead bowl from Cannabis Hardware, there is the exception that proves the rule: ZX from Phase3, created by FC’s very own @invertedisdead !

Ball vapes are good for repeated, large hits, with weed crushing power. Can you use it as a microdoser? Yeah and I guess you can use a shoe to pound in a nail too.

The ZX is a ball vape that efficiently vapes small amounts of cannabis down to crumbs. It was the first ball vape to be made of Zirconia Ceramic, which has many qualities of glass but it’s virtually indestructible, it’s a cool material worth checking out. The Phase 3 a has also recently released a matching ZC bowl so you can have an unbreakable setup with no metal beyond a couple of screens. The ZX is also the only ball vape using a 14mm joint and naturally uses less herb than other ball vapes, it can replicate a true snap bowl bong-hit like no other vape I’ve owned/tried. If you want to add more, you can of course and the Z8 will crush it but the Z8 is so pure and tasty that I like a fresh hit every time. As a result of loading less, I’ve found that I go through less material naturally while staying just as medicated. I totally recommend you looking into the Z8.

Durbandream

It depends on what one is looking for. As examples for stomping my butt into the mud, it's still a torch powered vape (Brick or Elev8r), for long evening on then couch it is another type of vape (LSV, Surfer) and for parties with a mix of smokers and vapers it a modded Plenty. Neither of the ballers currently in use (Elev8r or ZX Zirconia) works as well in the above roles. However, for good temperature control, taste and adaptability they rock. The approach around here is to identify need or want and then matching the vape to the job.
This is a really helpful response, thanks. I guess I'm mostly interested in the first two, and my question is how good is the temp control and how much better is the flavor/adaptability compared to the 18mm Quartz Cap which is the closest thing I currently have to one. The flavor on that device is very good and it's pretty adaptable for what it is but temp control is pretty difficult so I'd like something that could let me dial in a temp the way I do with my Air Max and get consistent results every time.

Durbandream,

Durbandream

@Durbandream Just wanted to say one thing about the following statement, while it is true for 18mm ball vapes like the Quaroma, Zeal, TKO and whatever uses the 22mm Shovelhead bowl from Cannabis Hardware, there is the exception that proves the rule: ZX from Phase3, created by FC’s very own @invertedisdead !

The ZX is a ball vape that efficiently vapes small amounts of cannabis down to crumbs. It was the first ball vape to be made of Zirconia Ceramic, which has many qualities of glass but it’s virtually indestructible, it’s a cool material worth checking out. The Phase 3 a has also recently released a matching ZC bowl so you can have an unbreakable setup with no metal beyond a couple of screens. The ZX is also the only ball vape using a 14mm joint and naturally uses less herb than other ball vapes, it can replicate a true snap bowl bong-hit like no other vape I’ve owned/tried. If you want to add more, you can of course and the Z8 will crush it but the Z8 is so pure and tasty that I like a fresh hit every time. As a result of loading less, I’ve found that I go through less material naturally while staying just as medicated. I totally recommend you looking into the Z8.
This sounds excellent, thanks.

Durbandream,

howie105

I have tinkered with two different ballers (Elev8r & ZX Zirconia) till they both run smallish loads (.05 g) in the 340 f to 450 f range. The hits are tasty and cool enough to work with a j-hook. Bonus, when the itch hits, one can change up a couple of things and be back to normal out-of-the-box hits. Two good vape functions for the price of one.

howie105

my question is how good is the temp control and how much better is the flavor/adaptability compared to the 18mm Quartz Cap which is the closest thing I currently have to one...,. Sorry, but I can't have an informed comparison to an 18 mm quartz cap, zero use.

Last edited:
howie105,

MTpromises

The Taroma 360 is must be similar to the Quartz Cap. The bowl is almost exactly the same in both.

MTpromises,

MTpromises

Do you have that one? How do you like it, if so?
You can see my poor editing skills in the last post, it should be "must" not "is must" because I was being speculative since I don't own one. But, the 360 and the 18mm QC both hold about 1g of weed, both are glass tubes, both are surrounded by a heater and both are conduction leaning hybrids at max potency. I heat soak my QC, with a 2 heating technique, so lots of conduction. The 360 recommends a 30s heat soak for 1 hits, so it also basically functions like the QC.

This is me one shoting a lot of weed with a well heated QC.

Top Bottom