any freedivers here?

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
I took my diving instruction in the winter, gotta find a weekend in June to go get my certification!

mattybass,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Mattybass, I said freediving, not scuba diving. Although scuba is nice too :)

Went scuba diving today, had a great time. Going again tomorrow.

Lil Dragonfly,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
I was never much into statics. (I was always more interested in chasing the fish, lol.) Gonna start though :) will be keeping track of my progress in a blog.

Lil Dragonfly,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
It says you're in New York...is that where you freedive? It must be freezing there, lmao.

Lil Dragonfly,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
take it easy, like I said... I haven't done the scuba exam yet haha.

Wow freediving looks intense! Is it just a matter of relaxation to hold your breath for so long?

mattybass,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Yes, relaxation helps. (Unfortunately for me, I suck at it.)

There are a zillion other ways to improve breathholds too. Cardio exercise, diet, proper hydration, statics, tables, apnea exercise, diaphragm breathing, yoga, biofeedback, hook breaths, freediving a coral reef just for fun, breathing through straws...

Lil Dragonfly,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A good friend of mine has been freediving for a year or so. His record is 33 meters which is completely unfathomable to me. He can also take the biggest bong rips I've ever seen.

Crazy sport and a great ability to have. Exploring old ship wrecks, marine life, and just experiencing the aquatic world unaided. :cool:

vtac,

Derf

it comes in handy, more often than you'd think.

I was snorkeling off Key West, or maybe it was Jamaica (can't remember), but I saw some really cool ruins down under the water. Being able to hold your breath allows you to really get up and explore stuff.

And then there was that time I got in a crowded elevator and just as the doors were shutting one of those SBD farts was released.... I had to take the elevator from the ground floor to 15, stopping at almost every floor (not that everyone stayed in the car to get out at their floor, most got out on the second and third floors), but they had already pushed the button.

On another note, has anyone here used those re-breather units? They are amazing! Zero bubbles is niiiice.

Derf,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
My diving instructor was also a technical diver who showed us pics of his rebreathing apparatus... They would be wicked if they didn't start at ten grand...

mattybass,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
In terms of being able to get close to marine life:

first best: freediving
2nd best: rebreather
3rd best: open-circuit scuba

Mandy-Rae wrote about this in a book ;)

Lil Dragonfly,

tuttle

Lil Dragonfly said:
In terms of being able to get close to marine life:

first best: freediving
2nd best: rebreather
3rd best: open-circuit scuba

Mandy-Rae wrote about this in a book ;)
Do you dive rebreather? I have been contemplating getting some education on this and would be currious to hear experienced rebreathers thought.

tuttle,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Nah I haven't had a chance to try a rebreather yet.

Some dive shops have a thing where you can do a rebreather dive with the divemaster without needing any rebreather certification. That way you can see if you like it, without having to commit to the entire course. I wanna do that sometime :)

Lil Dragonfly,

bcleez

So how do you hold your breath for so long? Just pack air like a maniac?

I am not a diver and have never been deeper than like 15 feet. I just hate that feeling when you feel like you our out of air and it takes a few seconds to finally reach the surface.

bcleez,

Derf

Lil Dragonfly said:
So what training do you do Derf?
I don't have much formal training in free diving, its all just practice on my own. I got interested in it when a friend challenged me one day while we were in Palm Beach. The contest was whoever stayed down longest won, and the loser had to spend the rest of the day diving without their suit!

623p.jpg

Anyway, I found it to be very peaceful and natural to just dive without all the gear usually associated with diving. Since then it's just been reading about different techniques, talking to other people, and practice. I do a lot of statics to build up my ability, and when I can I do some diving. I practice slowing down my heart rate, and holding my breath. When I'm in the water I practice using the most minimal effort possible. When I can't get in the water, I think bicycling helps with leg power and any exercises done in an aerobic heart range. I haven't ever tested how deep I can go, the deepest I've been is only about 40, maybe 50 feet. I've found that more flexible fins provide better thrust with less force exerted so you can stay down longer. Also the regular J-tube snorkels have less drag than my SCUBA snorkel with flexible mouth tube, purge system, and float valve to keep it dry.

I was SCUBA certified a couple of years ago, I think the cert expired and I haven't done much diving lately (I fall in and out of hobbies). I got to try the rebreather from a friend who owns one. I've heard that the safety on the rebreathers has been greatly improved over the years.

Derf,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
If it makes you feel any better I don't have much formal training either. I can't take any freediving courses because I am always broke. I do have an instructor friend who taught me the safety stuff for free though. Now I never go underwater anywhere without teaching my swim/snorkel/freedive buddy the BTT first.

I've never had a chance to test how deep I can go either. But I will be able to soon :D my friend is buying me a float! Yay!!! (For those of you who don't know, a freediving float is a waterproof thing that can hold food, water, phone for emergencies, etc. Then you can safely swim out long distances from the beach to get to deep water. Most people who have a float live in the water for 8 hours at a time.)

You can still scuba dive even if it has been many years. Just be sure to buddy up with the instructor, and let them know how long it has been since you went. I recently started scuba diving again after an 11-year hiatus, the instructor re-taught me everything I had forgotten while we were on the boat and kept a close watch on me during each dive. (There is much less one needs to know now than there was back then, now that dive computers do all the work for you.)

Lil Dragonfly,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
It was amazing lwien. I found myself holding my breath without realizing it. But then I read below the vid and saw this, which sort of wrecked it:

From Guillaum...To clarify: this movie is A FICTION AND AN ARTISTIC PROJECT. I don't claim to have reached the bottom of the hole (202m) without rope and fins, as the world record in no-fins discipline is 95m..
We made this movie to show another approach in freediving videos.
We wanted to express the strenght of the elements water-earth-air and the sensations of freedom, harmony, exploration
Shot? with a canon 5D mark II

momofthegoons,

lwien

Ooops. Didn't see that. It's still a pretty neat vid, but yeah, that does take some of the sheen off of it.

lwien,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
Yes I would never do something like that in my videos. I consider it to be "cheating".

Most underwater models do clips/pics that involve optical illusions. Sometimes the fans care, other times they don't, depending on how far the faking goes. My photographer keeps trying to convince me to sneak breaths from a tank between shots so I won't have to work as hard on freedive training ("all the other models are doing it"), but meh :(

Is freediving while high cheating though? (When I'm sober I'm afraid of the camera...)

Lil Dragonfly,

tuttle

Lil Dragonfly said:
(There is much less one needs to know now than there was back then, now that dive computers do all the work for you.)
Don't ever leave that dive table behind. The computer can always flood or malfunction. I've had it happen to me at 80' :)

tuttle,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
tuttle said:
Don't ever leave that dive table behind. The computer can always flood or malfunction. I've had it happen to me at 80' :)
I meant, if the instructor is your dive buddy all the time. Not if you are just going on a regular dive.

I was under the impression that like me, Derf doesn't scuba dive regularly enough to justify taking a refresher course.

Lil Dragonfly,
Top Bottom