Animated Avatars ??

lwien

Anyway we can upload gifs to be used as avatars? We used to be able to do this.

lwien,
Reactions: Seek

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
lwein if I go to your profile your cat is bouncing about. Jammin' Cat !

RUDE BOY,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
No, please... dear goddess, no. Thank you.

If avatars are animated, I'll be on here even less. Vicki's mama cat gif, while cute, almost did me in as it is...

Enchantre,
Reactions: Kief

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I'm old and crotchety. ;)

Um... I don't really know why. I just tend to skip over gifs... and pretty soon I ignore the post with the gif... I stopped visiting a couple of forums when the sig files got HUGE and animated.. sparkle shit...
I already skim my way through a lot of the Fuck Parkinson's thread, leaping over the vids and shit (pun intended).

I am a word person, a rather heavily medicated one at the moment, and I prefer to communicate using words, with the occasional supporting image, rather than through images with little to no words.

I like your kitty avatar.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
gifs can bother me. They mess with my eyes and make me see more floaters and kind of make me dizzy and nauseous at times. I still think some are hilarious but they can be distracting at times.

RUDE BOY,

lwien

Wow. I had no idea that animated gifs would pose any problems. My kitty is having a hard time keeping his head still though.

lwien,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I don't think they bother The large percentage of internet population. I know someone with epilepsy who will tell you they're the work of the devil. Me, I just had a infection of the Brain and eyes 15 years ago. Since then I have a problem with glare and flashing lights.

Your avatar with just movement doesn't bother me at all.

RUDE BOY,
Reactions: Snappo

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I'm with my brothers n sisters on this. Animated avatars tend to be distracting more than appealing. I do like to search down a page speed reading the avatars if I'm looking for someone in particular. One tends to get very familiar with most avatar's identity. Some threads are heavy with vids and pics, which slow down considerably internet phone downloads. Moving avatars would probably add to the molasses.

SD_haze

I like da GIFs, although I understand why xenforo doesn't support gif avatars like the old forum did.
dancing_kitty3.gif

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I like da GIFs, although I understand why xenforo doesn't support gif avatars like the old forum did.
dancing_kitty3.gif

I inquired about this when we changed over, since my avatar no longer had movement. My understanding is that this software does not support the avatars moving, so SD you are correct. :)

momofthegoons,
Reactions: Snappo

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm with my brothers n sisters on this. Animated avatars tend to be distracting more than appealing. I do like to search down a page speed reading the avatars if I'm looking for someone in particular. One tends to get very familiar with most avatar's identity. Some threads are heavy with vids and pics, which slow down considerably internet phone downloads. Moving avatars would probably add to the molasses.
Said the guy with an animated gif in his signature. :lol:

:peace:

lwien

dancing_kitty3.gif

^^ " THAT'S just a cheap imitation of my pussy". (lol.........That should be a t-shirt with arrows pointing in the opposite directions that two girls would wear walking side by side down the street.)

This is MINE:
rRcwgWk.gif

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
We're limited by the Xenforo software. Currently animation just doesn't work for an avatar. Personally, I'm not a fan of fast moving animation when it appears in every post a member makes. For me, after a while it gets really irritating.

Caligula said:
BTW most forums I go to have options to turn animated avis and signatures on/off.
If the software later adds animation for avatars, hopefully it'll also come with a user controlled on/off switch.

Top Bottom