Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I called the shop today, and they are still not in. I also talked to another shop that said they too are waiting for the HVY stuff to come in. I shopped around a while and stopped at 3 different places. Nothing at any of them caught my eye.

The guy who is waiting on his HVY shipment said he has some coming in at $50- $60. According to him, it would be perfect for a vape setup. He claims that a double or triple filtration unit is overkill for vaping. He explained the the fancy shower heads, etc. are great for filtering smoke. They help to filter more crap from the smoke by creating smaller bubbles, etc. Since vape does not contain smoke and it's terrible by products, there is no need for more filtration. The HVY he recommends has a diffused downstem, is small, and heavy duty. I's love to see a pic of one, but I can only find the few they sell at Aqua Lab.

Tstat,

aero18

vaporist
A showerhead is definitely not overkill... I definitely enjoy my tubes more when I use showerhead downstem. The vapor is just slightly more cooled, allowing me to take bigger hits without coughing.

aero18,

Nycdeisel

I think that a perc would be overkill just for vapor, but not a nice diffused downstem. just a basic tube is more then enough.

Plus, the more water filtration, the less taste(usually). I like my 7 1/2" beaker(yes the one in my avatar) since its so small, I personally find it perfect for vapor! It was awesome with the showerhead, too bad that downstem broke. Im working on replacing it now :(

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I like that small beaker. Clean, simple, nice looking. As far as the diffusers go, I have also been told that if money is no object, and you don't care about cost, then buy a fancy one with percs and shit.

I want something nice, clear, simple, and capable of cooling down vapor. It will ONLY be used for vapor. My Gear is nice and I used to combust for a couple of years, but it is green in color. And it has been used for smoke, and even though I clean it thoroughly, it was still used for smoke.

Tstat,

Nycdeisel

No need to get something with expensive, complicated diffusion just for vapor, unless, IMO, you maybe get a really small piece with good diffusion. A huge chamber with lots of diffusion would most likely dramatically cut down on the taste. The biggest piece I like to use with vapor is a foot tall, but that is just me, not everyone wants the same thing from a vapor-bong.

Nycdeisel,

Nycdeisel

that's a GonG, bong like bubbler. It's best to specify it as a GonG bub.

You COULD vape through that, it's really personal preference. I'm a tube gal, I'd pick a tube over other types of water pipes.

I saw some nice little GonG bubblers on Etsy, I'll link you to it when I get to a computer. A different user on Etsy, glassdistortion, has some nice little inline tubes and GonG bubs.

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I don't want one of those. I need a nice tube. I am just impatient with my headshops around here! Iw ant my glass!

Tstat,

stinkmeaner

Nycdeisel said:
The biggest piece I like to use with vapor is a foot tall, but that is just me, .

I say it depends on your intended use and the type of vaporizer you are using.

If you are milking the bong and then clearing it then there is really little difference in what size you use as long as you have a vaporizer that produced thick enough vapor.

If you are using a bong as a pre-cooler or in place of a mouthpiece and just inhaling straight through, then a small tube or even a bubbler would seem better.

stinkmeaner,

Nycdeisel

Yes, however, that was just my :2c:

Some people may like a regular sized tube anyway, I just prefer a smaller one with at least basic diffusion.

Nycdeisel,

upriver

combustion-free
I have an Iolite I don't like (kindof morally opposed to butane, its noisy and takes too long to cool down - I will be selling it soon), a MFLB I love - especially since I got the c9000 charger, and a SSV which works just fine.

Convince me I need a PD and its worth the 6 month wait. Or convince me the kit is really fun to build. Or not... save me the money.

I want to support a local artisan (I live just 100 miles or so from the "factory") and I love the personal attention he gives to threads, seems a lot like Magic Flight. But I talked to one guy who's opinion I trust and he said since getting his SSV he never touches the PD. How can I relate to this device, which I have never seen in person, using SSV and MFLB as a reference point? What niche will it fill that neither of the others do?

upriver,

Nycdeisel

It wont. Its too different. Like I always say, you cant compare completely different types of vaporizers, because they are all meant to serve a certain purpose of their own.

The PD is an extremely efficient direct draw vape, but the SSV is a big hitting whip type unit. So different, so hard to compare.

Its not a 6 month wait either. Its 3-5 weeks. Check their site, also they sell them directly from their site now, FYI.

I love my DBV, I am even using it as we speak, but its not efficient enough for me to use all of the time and I have heard too many good things about the PD that I could not turn down.

Neither of them can take the place of the other.

EDIT: But then again, not every vape is for everyone. If your buddy likes his SSV more, well then thats just the type he likes, that may be the type you like or it could be a different type like the PD or something else.

Nycdeisel,

upriver

combustion-free
Ok so the SSV comparison is out, how does it compare to the LB? thanks for letting me know about the direct availablilty, I haven't looked in some time. How is the hassle of using tubes? This is probably not the right thread, but wanted to jump in and get some opinions.

thanks!

upriver,

Nycdeisel

I dont have my PD yet, but have been doing as much research as I can on this site to prepare for the big day :o :D
I hear that the tubes arent too bad, with one load providing 3-4 good hits. You just need to be sure that the consistency is right and that the herb is packed secure enough but still allows airflow.

The LB is really different then the SSV and all other units pretty much lol
You pack a little tiny bit in the PD, get around 3-4 nice hits, and thats it, most people say that they do a few of those before they feel nice.

You should check out the PD experience topic, its got a lot of info. There was a big issue that the PD team had with vapenow so they will no longer distribute PD vaporizers.

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
My PD should be here today. Here is how I envision it fitting in:

My EQ sits in my basement hooked up to a nice glass tube. I do a lot od work down there, and use the Q in the morning, and during the day. Later, after dinner I fill a balloon and watch some TV.

My MFLB is used when I go out, in the car, etc. Anywhere I need a portable...

The PD is nice looking and discreet. It is going to live in my bedroom, and will be on all the time. My wife wants it to be a potpourri diffuser during the day. I will use it later at night when I need a couple more hits before sleeping. The Q needs to warm up, and set up. Late at night I don't want to trudge downstairs and set it up. I have been using the LB late at night, but this duty will now go to the PD!

I think it's perfect for this situation. Or I am just justifying buying a new toy!

Tstat,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
upriver, I can't speak for the PD since I own a Zap, but can speak for log vapes in general because of it. (And by the way, the wait for a Zap is only about a week....)
The Zap and the LB have a very similar draw method. The stock stems used for the Zap are similar to the PD and will generally provide 3-6 hits, depending on the herb (although every now and then you get a "magic" stem that lasts for many more). How many stems you need depends on the quality of the herb. You can also buy glass stems through the Zap site, some of which have carbs. These cool the hits down quite a bit and should fit all of the log vapes. I don't find using any of the stems (tubes) a hassle. Generally speaking, the Zap will use less herb than the LB. :2c:

momofthegoons,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Got my PD this afternoon and have it warming up right now. It looks amazing, for sure. I also hit two more headshops looking for glass. I saw some PURE glass that was nice and not too expensive. There was also another that they said is comparable to HVY. I can't remember the name of the company, but it was a heavy glass, round base area for water, and no diffuser on the stem for $130. So, I guess they had their headshop convention or whatever recently and everyone ordered HVY glass. That is why it seems everyone is waiting. I hate to wait.

That said, I want a nice, sturdy, clear tube with at least a diffused downstem I like the more scientific look without colors or huge logos. I'd like to spend around $50 to $150. Does anyone know a good, US based, reliable online dealer besides Aqua labs and Etsy? I will still scour Etsy, but I have a hard time narrowing down the search parameters on their site.

Tstat,

Nycdeisel

REALLY???

I go on Etsy, search for glass pipe in Handmade, and find fuckin spoons, chillums, bubblers, GonG pieces and accesories, ashcatchers, slides, etc. EVERYTHING! And the only thing I typed in the search box is glass pipe.

The 45mm Syn beaker on ALT for $110 is a really good deal IMO for a 5mm tube with diffy(only a slitted downstem, but still diffused!)

Nycdeisel,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom