Activated Carbon for Bongs

condition

This week I received the activated carbon bowl from Ehle. I am testing it mainly with the CouchLog. Using it before the downstem of a bubbler and It works very nicely to further smooth the vapor. It keeps the bubbler very clean. The “bad” is that it reduces the vapor's volume, it is not so thick than without. Also looks kind of ugly.
I also tried fill with carbon the CL's glass injector bowl and use the CL chamber, but it doesn't work so good, so you have to insert this ugly bowl on your bubbler or JHook.
The purchase price is OK, the carbon will last for really long time. Of course in the U.S. there is a specialized seller for bong carbon adapters, even bubblers with built-in activated carbon compartment. In the EU the available option is from Ehle or a collaboration between PURIZE X EHLE which seems a similar carbon bowl with Purize Logo.

The screens provided need some work to sit properly and there is no notch like CL injector where the screen stays flat in the dedicated notch.

Active-Carbon.jpg

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
It will remove most of the flavour....and probably quite a bit of oil. I would re-purpose it into a ball injector :brow:

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
This week I received the activated carbon bowl from Ehle. I am testing it mainly with the CouchLog. Using it before the downstem of a bubbler and It works very nicely to further smooth the vapor. It keeps the bubbler very clean. The “bad” is that it reduces the vapor's volume, it is not so thick than without. Also looks kind of ugly.
I also tried fill with carbon the CL's glass injector bowl and use the CL chamber, but it doesn't work so good, so you have to insert this ugly bowl on your bubbler or JHook.
The purchase price is OK, the carbon will last for really long time. Of course in the U.S. there is a specialized seller for bong carbon adapters, even bubblers with built-in activated carbon compartment. In the EU the available option is from Ehle or a collaboration between PURIZE X EHLE which seems a similar carbon bowl with Purize Logo.

The screens provided need some work to sit properly and there is no notch like CL injector where the screen stays flat in the dedicated notch.

Active-Carbon.jpg
This type of filtration removes vapor. I am interested in the why?

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've been using the carbon filter holders that Grav used to make, very similar in style to the OP's and a longer filter path than those made by the Oregon glassblower.

Why? I smoked Lucky Strikes for more than fifty years(gave up 9 years ago) and smoked dope for nearly as long(Switched to vaping eight or so years ago.). My lungs are compromised. If I don't use bubblers/bongs and carbon filter(s), I get coughy and wheezy, which is no fun in one's mid-seventies. Without my filters and coolers, I would have to give up vaping and only use edibles. I've tried that course, but edibles are not nearly as efficient nor dose effect controlable. And using multiple filter and cooling devices, I still get great tasting milky hits and still get really really wrecked!

I'm also a vigorous person, for someone turning 75 next month. Until recently I climbed mountains, mostly in the winter on snowshoes and crampons, aggressively road and mountain biked, xc ski, etc. Bad foot problems have now limited what I can do. But I still bike up and down the steep and windy hills of the mountains outside my windows and work out on the exercise bike in the basement in the winter. I couldn't keep doing this stuff without filtering my favorite habit. And I nearly always get ripped, or at least take a toke or two, before exercise sessions, whether outside or downstairs.

Old Moderate

The whole concept here confuses me as activated carbon will adsorb non-polar compounds including canabinoids that probably you are interested in. Perhaps it is a specifically modified to allow THC to pass through, but that would be quite sophisticated. Unless the cost is in the hundreds of $ I think this would be challenging to pull off. Maybe a size exclusion column would work and remove the larger particles of vapor, but I’d use a material with a polar surface. Perhaps you still get some thc through. How are the effects when you use it?

TboneToker

Active-Carbon.jpg
I love carbon filters. But I don’t use them when vaping.

I don’t smoke often and I don’t know where my carbon filter is anymore but if I am going to smoke I definitely want a carbon filter if possible. It makes smoking actually good IMO. Smoking without a carbon filter is okay but it‘s really “smoky” lots of bad stuff. Carbon filters are what ash catchers wish they could be.

It makes the hit smoother and taste better and in my experience it hits you much harder too, except you don’t get nearly as much hydrocarbons/smokes so you don’t get that “fuzz high” mixture you get a much cleaner “vape-like” high.

And in my experience you can get higher with a carbon filter because you’re not coating your lungs/etc with smoke before the THC arrives or at least not at much smoke, so it really allows your body to absorb a lot more THC/Cannibs/Terpenes (this is all just how I feel based on extensive use)

YES the carbon filter might filter a tiny bit or some of the cannabinoids but they’re TINY in comparison to the smoke molecules and hence, the carbon filter mostly filters out the bad and leaves most of the good intact. Since your lungs are not being coated with smoke which leads to (in my experience) a quicker absorption of cannabinoids which leads to a stronger high, I believe it more than makes up for the slight minute loss that the carbon filter takes from the cannabinoids.

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
As an someone with a clinical back ground in respiratory medicine none of it makes sense, but if you makes you feel better using it continue to do so. I can see it being beneficial if you are consuming by combusting. Polarbearboy keep on doin what you're doing cause it is working for you. Looking forward to being as active when I am you age. Cheers!

condition

It will remove most of the flavour....and probably quite a bit of oil. I would re-purpose it into a ball injector :brow:
Any kind of filtration will have a cost on vapor and flavor. The flavor of a joint with a paper filter tip, is significantly better than the flavor an active carbon filter produces. However, people keep using more and more activated carbon filters, to reduce tar inhalation as well as other harmful substances.
That's what happens in some extent with the water filtration, the water pipe. The flavor is reduced as the vapor passes though the water, and maybe even more if a percolator or a honeycomb bong is used. If you are middle-aged, like me, you have to make some flavor sacrifices to continue vaping. I want to keep using natively the Anvil and the Minivap, without using a bong, but my upper respiratory doesn't agree anymore with continuous usage of “dry” herb.

I like to keep vaping in the future, and I am taking precautions toward this, like using water filtration, active carbon filtration and increase hash consumption instead of dry herbs. It is not that I like to filter my vapor, but I have to filter to continue vaping with minimal complications.

Also, you don't have to use a bong or activated carbon all the time, just when you feel the vapor harsher on your system and you want to keep vaping.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
There is no tar in vapor but i guess if you are vaping at high temperatures there may be some undesirables in there--- in my experience carbon filters just took ALL the flavour out . I'm pretty confident water filtration is enough for vapor. The stuff that condenses in my bubbler is yellow , just like extracted pure oil.

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Got one simular, but from GRAV. Don't use the charcoal. Have a bit of fiber in it, and am using it as a dry ash catcher on my Goo Roo Upline today. No use for the charcoal, but like the glass.

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: popitup

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I think I bought the same utility glass as you. Came with a glass cap and keck clip. I use mine as a dry herb catch to avoid having to deep clean my water piece as often. I did end up upgrading to the sneaky peak high-airflow try herb catch https://www.sneakypetestore.com/col...ducts/dry-herb-catcher?variant=40214369009745
It does help to have a dry herb catch of some sort. This is the sort of small glass that has me hunting for another storage chest for storage.

Madri-Gal,
Top Bottom