Accidentally power corded volcano while on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice in a row… both were real mistakes too, it really sucks unplugging a 500 dollar unit from the wall while its on… it seems to be working okay? i take care of it so well and both times i didn't have control of it, the cord wrapped around my foot the first time and the second time my electrical outlet thing broke and unplugged it (was the ones outside). So i guess my question is if it didn't apparently damage it could something still happen from it? it sucks lol

laugingsodreamy12,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Why would it hurt to pull the plug? :hmm: Methinks it would only turn it off its not the same as a power spike.

RUDE BOY,
Why would it hurt to pull the plug? :hmm: Methinks it would only turn it off its not the same as a power spike.
really? couldn't it surge the electrical something lol I'm no electrician so excuse my ignorance but from what i understand unplugging any electronic device while turned/powered on is a no no

laugingsodreamy12,
That's true, you need to be careful. My Dad was an electrician, and my hubby does electrical work too. If the unit is still working, you're good. Just don't make a habit of it.
yea it was total mistake! i still am pissed about it but its like what can i do? it was really silly how it happened too twice in a row! went from not even dropping my cano and treating it like a baby to boom within 10 minutes power cording it twice in a row i was like wtf! it def did kill my high

laugingsodreamy12,
Reactions: Vicki

max

Out to lunch
The Volcano is programmed to hold a grudge against its owner if the power cord is yanked more than once. It'll produce much less vapor from then on. It may forgive you if you apologize profusely. If not, you'll have to sell it.

Seriously, it probably doesn't care how the power is shut off. If it's working now I wouldn't worry about it. If you start pulling out your computer power cord though, it may be a different story.

The Volcano is programmed to hold a grudge against its owner if the power cord is yanked more than once. It'll produce much less vapor from then on. It may forgive you if you apologize profusely. If not, you'll have to sell it.

Seriously, it probably doesn't care how the power is shut off. If it's working now I wouldn't worry about it. If you start pulling out your computer power cord though, it may be a different story.
Yea i know its just lame it seems fine, but also even before this it started acting like it hasn't been vaping as good so its like just another thing to put on my worries, it is a 500 dollar machine… more than a lot of computers! well some but you get my drift.. if this shit broke id kill a infant

laugingsodreamy12,

lwien

And if you apologize in German, you're warranty will be extended another two years. Now THAT'S what I call great customer service.

Last edited:
That is intense, and makes a lot of sense too because the second time i power corded it it kept filling the bag when i re plugged it back in.. thats crazy that its the same thing how does that work? How would unplugging the cord be the same as switching the switch off? I mean i believe you know I'm just more interested in the actual mechanics of it, because if you do that to a PS3/XBOX/COMPUTER that shit is bad for it.

laugingsodreamy12,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
The Volcano is actually a very simple piece of electronics in comparison to something like an Xbox or Playstation. It can be unplugged without consequence because it does not have any components inside of that need time to 'shut off' before the power is removed. I think the reason that the bag started filling again is because the switch for filling the bag must still have been 'on', so power was able to flow through it when you plugged it back in.

The switch does exactly the same thing as removing the cord, because it is wired directly to the wires that are coming into the unit from the cord. When it is switched off, no power can flow through it at all, which is a very safe and reliable design to make sure no short circuits or electronic faults can occur while it is off.

The gaming systems though (and computers in general really) are super complex systems, with various types of memory that gets used in the course of processing your data. You see, most data that we want to use in computing something is on a hard drive or a disk of some sort in these systems, and while these can hold a lot of data they run very slowly in comparison to the processor. So when you run a program, it gets loaded off of the disk and into your RAM so that everything runs as fast as possible. Pretty much everything that your using on these systems has been loaded into RAM, whether it is Windows or the part of GTA5 your playing.

Now RAM is memory, but it's not reliable memory. When you turn your computer off, everything in the RAM is erased. It's not a bug or a problem, it's just the way it works. RAM needs power to hold it's data, unlike disks or hard drives which can sit unpowered for years and still work. So anything that is being run within the RAM is instantly lost when you unplug the cord. This could be a file that is being edited, your game save, a core component of windows. Things that the computer never got the chance to take out of the RAM and put back on the hard drive before power was lost.

This is why if you pull the plug on a computer, it boots back up to normal windows instead of where you were before. And if you had a file you were working on and hadn't saved, you'll have lost it. To make matters worse, Windows and other OS's are constantly opening and editing system files behind the scenes, and they can sometime get corrupted in a loss of power and damage to the point where they stop working.

I'm simplifying things quite a bit here; but it certainly sounds to me like your really interested in electronics in general so if you want to learn more about it these are awesome places to learn about circuits and electronics design:

https://www.sparkfun.com/
http://www.adafruit.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Afrotechmods
http://www.youtube.com/user/makemagazine

The Volcano is actually a very simple piece of electronics in comparison to something like an Xbox or Playstation. It can be unplugged without consequence because it does not have any components inside of that need time to 'shut off' before the power is removed. I think the reason that the bag started filling again is because the switch for filling the bag must still have been 'on', so power was able to flow through it when you plugged it back in.

The switch does exactly the same thing as removing the cord, because it is wired directly to the wires that are coming into the unit from the cord. When it is switched off, no power can flow through it at all, which is a very safe and reliable design to make sure no short circuits or electronic faults can occur while it is off.

The gaming systems though (and computers in general really) are super complex systems, with various types of memory that gets used in the course of processing your data. You see, most data that we want to use in computing something is on a hard drive or a disk of some sort in these systems, and while these can hold a lot of data they run very slowly in comparison to the processor. So when you run a program, it gets loaded off of the disk and into your RAM so that everything runs as fast as possible. Pretty much everything that your using on these systems has been loaded into RAM, whether it is Windows or the part of GTA5 your playing.

Now RAM is memory, but it's not reliable memory. When you turn your computer off, everything in the RAM is erased. It's not a bug or a problem, it's just the way it works. RAM needs power to hold it's data, unlike disks or hard drives which can sit unpowered for years and still work. So anything that is being run within the RAM is instantly lost when you unplug the cord. This could be a file that is being edited, your game save, a core component of windows. Things that the computer never got the chance to take out of the RAM and put back on the hard drive before power was lost.

This is why if you pull the plug on a computer, it boots back up to normal windows instead of where you were before. And if you had a file you were working on and hadn't saved, you'll have lost it. To make matters worse, Windows and other OS's are constantly opening and editing system files behind the scenes, and they can sometime get corrupted in a loss of power and damage to the point where they stop working.

I'm simplifying things quite a bit here; but it certainly sounds to me like your really interested in electronics in general so if you want to learn more about it these are awesome places to learn about circuits and electronics design:

https://www.sparkfun.com/
http://www.adafruit.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Afrotechmods
http://www.youtube.com/user/makemagazine

wow thanks man couldn't have had anyone else explain it better. i really appreciate that, and it makes a lot more sense for the simpler minds like myself ;). and how did you know i be playing gta5?!?! lol jk who isn't playing it right now

laugingsodreamy12,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom