Access to FC via Corp Firewalls

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey, something changed today. I was never able to go to fuckcombustion.com from my work as the site name triggers the firewall. Since the new server was introduced a couple months back I discovered using the IP address let me through the firewall. Today that same IP resolves to the fuckcombustion and therefore I can't log on from work. bummer.
This was a good back door but wondering if any other tricks are used for this problem?
Thanks,

Pipes,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Well it really depends on the technology that the block is using. It's possible that the blocker is client side (easy to deal with) or server side which is a little more difficult...

Do you know the name of the blocking software that they use and whether or not is installed on your work computers? Your other option is to use a proxy which is slow and risky. I'd love to help but I need to know more about the particular software they are using. In the meantime, you could try using the Corel Content Distribution Network (google it), SSH tunnel into your home computer or buy a cheap VPN.

However, your really rolling dice and dancing on the dark edge of serious punishment if you get caught... if you don't know what your doing, I'd just use your mobile phone or wait till you get home. I mean that probobly won't stop you from trying, but keep that in mind, you could get fired. The administrators at your employer will surely be logging everything that happens on their network and all it takes is one red flag and they can go back through everything. I've seen it happen too many times...

CentiZen,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the quick reply. They use some pretty cutting edge stuff. The main firewall is McAffy I believe. Got racked over the coals a few years back for playing zoo world...lol they had a stack of papers to show me how many clicks I spent on it a day. :dog: Had auto feed turned on so the clicks registered while I was away too. In the 100's of thousands if I remember correctly. Had to do some fancy dancing that time. But you can't kid a kidder.
I'm not dead in the water as I have done, and will revert back to, using a program called TeamViewer which is free for home use. Great remote software. I have a PC dedicated for my house to act as a server for lots of stuff. This is one more use for it.
Just thought it was odd as before the IP stayed in the address bar but now it wants to resolve to the actual address domain name. Something changed either at my work or the server end. Might be temporary might not.
Just wondering if anyone knew what may have caused this.
:horse:

Pipes,

PB88123

Vaporist
I use remote desktop (similar to TeamViewer) which comes with Windows. The shortcut is Start > run > mstsc and then type in your IP address. Click here on how to enable it remote desktop on your home computer. If you use a router at home make sure you forward the port in your settings. I prefer that over TeamViewer.

PB88123,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Thanks, will take a look. I think that's the route I initially tried but for some reason didn't work out. Might have been other network troubles I was having at the time. Or perhaps the control port is blocked at my work. If I remember correctly, the elimination of port use was key. Ya, it's coming back now, since Teamviewer uses it's own proxy, the client needs no special ports. And the client needs to just run an application without an install. And the old gears still turn a bit....Your correct though, windows remote would be the best route if possible.
Cheers.

Pipes,

Zingbuddah

Vaporologist
Keep your personal life personal....that means:

-No personal email, web surfing or other Internet business on work computers (another reason for a tablet)

-Never discuss business (or pleasure) at work

-Trying to get around the security nazi only ends up in losing...they OWN the network

Be safe, FC can wait or at least wait until a bathroom visit with your phone.

Be safe,

Zing (Professional Security Nazi)

Zingbuddah,

max

Out to lunch
I use remote desktop (similar to TeamViewer) which comes with Windows. The shortcut is Start > run > mstsc and then type in your IP address. Click here on how to enable it remote desktop on your home computer. If you use a router at home make sure you forward the port in your settings. I prefer that over TeamViewer.
Using Remote Desktop creates a profile. Network admins can easily view the profile and see what you're accessing.

max,
Top Bottom