About NewFC: how we got here and where we hope to go

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
ITYM "Jump to new". Do you want it renamed?

Holy crap, it's not in the new styles. I'll look into it.

Yes it is. It only appears when you actually have new posts to read.
I'm not sure where "jump to new" is showing, but...
This is from FC...
gtfu.JPG
This is a similar circumstance in NFC
ngtnu.JPG

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I see that now, thanks. I liked it on the bottom because being next to the pages indicator you could see how much you have gotten behind, but I guess that isn't critical. As long as we can skip to new.
You guys are doing a yeoman's job getting this move done and we appreciate it.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I see that now, thanks. I liked it on the bottom because being next to the pages indicator you could see how much you have gotten behind, but I guess that isn't critical. As long as we can skip to new.
You guys are doing a yeoman's job getting this move done and we appreciate it.

Our bottom line is overcrowded else I'd move it. Thanks for the kind words.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It’s crazy that there’s more registered members online here than Olde FC... that’s a win in my book!

Pretty blown away with how well @pakalolo &@Stu (not @Stu V2 with Jesus facing the other way:lol: ) have managed this migration!

Anyways I’m kicking my shoes off and making myself at home... I promise that’s just some really stinky weed and not my feet.🦶🦶

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
The heavy handed moderation and horrible attitude displayed by several of the mods on fc when asked a simple why"because I said so"does not work for adults.
This place is a commercial and we are both clients and promoters.
I hope the sales team backing this site do a better job.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@rebar, you just put both feet in your mouth. :lol: The "sales team backing this site" are the same 2 OG FC moderators. But you should know this.

In no way do I find this forum a commercial and certainly do not feel like a client. And, of course, I promote NFC, strictly because it's a community of like-minded enthusiasts. As such, mfrs bring their saleable wares to us. They sell what we desire. Capitalism 101. You seem very pleased with your Stempod & Underdog. Both of which would, in all probability, never have existed if FC didn't exist to create the market.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The heavy handed moderation and horrible attitude displayed by several of the mods on fc when asked a simple why"because I said so"does not work for adults.

If you’re such an adult why are you on here venting about FC moderator decisions from a username which isn’t even registered on FC? Trying to disguise your misconduct? :rolleyes: I’ve been on FC since 2013 and the mods are some of the easiest going on the entire internet.

You’re certainly free to start your own vape forum in the format of Lord Of The Flies - Free of moderation and rules. And adults...

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

The mods on FC and NFC don't allow "trolls and nastiness" like many sites. I appreciate their approach in this area more than I can say. Have their been times when I wasn't done beating a dead horse/venting/looking-for-that-pound-of-flesh......YUP.....but I never felt like I wasn't given the opportunity to make my point. Just to be clear, @rebar I'm not accusing you of being a troll or nasty.

I joined FC for the advice and reference material but I stayed for "The Nice".

@rebar - I hope you'll stick around long enough to experience how people on FC and the NFC site help and treat each other even when they don't agree. If you do I think you'll find that it comes from the atmosphere fostered by the mods.

ginolicious

I dunno. I am apart of a lot forums or well use to be. A lot of growing ones get out of control and are anarchy the way people treat one another when they ask a question. Getting a response that is legit is difficult. Here we do not have the issue. Also the mods are doing this in the spare time to keep a community going. They really aren’t gaining anything. Other then praise from is of course. But that is warranted and well deserved.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There are rules here that we've all agreed to follow and the moderators enforce the rules. This keeps things on track and civil. That's the "why".

And here are two of the rules:
  • Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.
  • If you don’t like the rules or the moderation, feel free not to visit.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

First, I recommend that you re-read the rules that you agreed to when you registered. In particular, both the FC rules and the rules here state:
  • Rules are interpreted and applied at staff discretion.
This means that moderators can respond "because I said so" and you should have understood this when you confirmed your registration. Having said that, I've been a moderator at FC for over 9 years and I don't recall a single instance of a mod doing this. If a moderator here used that response, both @Stu and I would want to know why. The rule exists so that we can keep the forum free of flame wars with the moderators and so that we can use discretion applying rules, not so that we can treat people arbitrarily.

Next, this isn't a commercial forum and unlike FC, we don't even have sponsors. @Stu and I are paying for this out of pocket. We've turned down numerous offers of donations and although we know that there are willing sponsors, we are not accepting sponsorships at this time. We don't know what costs we're facing as membership and participation increases, so these policies could change in the future, but not for now.

We do allow vendors and manufacturers to participate and promote their wares, but under strict rules. We feel that this is beneficial to the community. As @Summer pointed out, FC was the birthplace of several vaporizers and numerous related products, most of which would never have seen the light of day otherwise.

This is not an invitation for you to dig up examples of whatever it is you thought was horrible behaviour on FC. You can send me or @Stu a PM with your examples if you feel it necessary, but I can assure you right now it will not persuade us to change the rules. I take pride in always trying to be fair and impartial even in the face of personal attacks, and I think @Stu feels the same. I know that there are those who would argue otherwise, but that is the nature of moderating—there will always be people who think you've been unfair. Sometimes that results in being called names or accused of bad behaviour. This is unavoidable and all moderators experience this eventually. If you take things personally, however, you should not be a moderator. I pointed this out to the new mods when we asked them to accept the job, and I'm pretty sure they understood.

Finally, to be clear, this is not a democracy and there is no right to free speech here. Anyone who registers agrees to grant the staff control over what is and isn't acceptable. Disagreements with staff decisions can be taken up in PMs, but to keep the forum civil and free of distracting flames we do not allow decisions to be discussed in public. Incidentally, in my experience this rule is actually the one that got the most staff discretion at FC.

Thanks to the members who jumped to our defense.

1nd3cEnt

I am apart of a lot forums or well use to be. A lot of growing ones get out of control and are anarchy the way people treat one another when they ask a question. Getting a response that is legit is difficult. Here we do not have the issue.

Well said, 100% correct!

FC provides a public health service, which, I believe, is the main reason the mods are so dedicated.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Is it possible to only show unread threads in Watched Threads? I see it’s possible (default) on New Posts, but I don’t see a way of doing it in Watched. I can sort of see the unread ones are Bolded, but sort of difficult for me to distinguish between them.
This is certainly not a huge deal, just wondering.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Dude you sure you didnt vaped the wrong crystals ? Next time go with some CBD and spare yourself the shame .. I cannot believe you are serious in your words, anyone making such wild and untrue assumptions clearly does NOT know shit about FC both new and old.. You clearly walked into a minefield here, we love those guys ! They should have a vaporizer made in their name ,just imagine The StuPak vaporizer,already having ideas ,lol :science:

Last edited by a moderator:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Is it possible to only show unread threads in Watched Threads? I see it’s possible (default) on New Posts, but I don’t see a way of doing it in Watched. I can sort of see the unread ones are Bolded, but sort of difficult for me to distinguish between them.
This is certainly not a huge deal, just wondering.

This is one of the changes that I don't really like. It's not intuitive. Select New posts, then use the Filters on the upper right to select Unread threads. Uncheck the rest. You can save this default with the check box on the bottom. Once you've done that, selecting What's new|New posts will show you only unread threads. I've also checked Watched threads so I only see unread watched threads. I think that's what you want as well.

LabPong

This is one of the changes that I don't really like. It's not intuitive. Select New posts, then use the Filters on the upper right to select Unread threads. Uncheck the rest. You can save this default with the check box on the bottom. Once you've done that, selecting What's new|New posts will show you only unread threads. I've also checked Watched threads so I only see unread watched threads. I think that's what you want as well.

This has been the only change that is hard getting used to here.

@rebar .....da fug U talk'n/plain'in bout? 🧐

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Terrific job with our lifeboat ... congrats to all

Grazie, Tutti Grazie

giphy-2.gif

Top Bottom