About NewFC: how we got here and where we hope to go

warren0728

i have arrived ... thanks @Stu and @pakalolo for taking this on ... my only concern is the domain name ... i think fcombustion.com would be better as far as getting blocked ... i see that fcombustion.com automatically redirects to newfuckcombustion.com and i believe that will still get blocked. it seems like the forum should sit on fcombustion.com and have newfuckcombustion.com automatically redirect to fcombustion.com ...

lazylathe

Almost there...
Hey, hey, hey now!!!
Looky here now, a whole new place to call home!
Great work all the mods behind the scenes!

@Stu @pakalolo
Is there anyway to contact the host company to see if they can transfer or back up the old FC for you? Such a shame to have all that info lost...

I did not see any mention of donations etc to keep the new forum up and running!
This stuff is expensive and I am sure members would be willing to help out!!

Looking forward to the forum expanding!!!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hey, hey, hey now!!!
Looky here now, a whole new place to call home!
Great work all the mods behind the scenes!

@Stu @pakalolo
Is there anyway to contact the host company to see if they can transfer or back up the old FC for you? Such a shame to have all that info lost...

I did not see any mention of donations etc to keep the new forum up and running!
This stuff is expensive and I am sure members would be willing to help out!!

Looking forward to the forum expanding!!!

We did not attempt to contact the hosting company because they would have no reason to believe that we were acting in the forum's best interests or that we have any right to FC.

There is no mention of donations because we aren't accepting any, nor are we accepting sponsors. Thanks to all who have offered, but for now we don't need help.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
i have arrived ... thanks @Stu and @pakalolo for taking this on ... my only concern is the domain name ... i think fcombustion.com would be better as far as getting blocked ... i see that fcombustion.com automatically redirects to newfuckcombustion.com and i believe that will still get blocked. it seems like the forum should sit on fcombustion.com and have newfuckcombustion.com automatically redirect to fcombustion.com ...

For reasons I won't go into, this was not feasible when we started to set up. Switching right now is not practical but it is something we are considering for the future.

The problems with the name have been with us for 10+ years and FC managed. While I recognize this looks like a lost opportunity, changing is something that we gave a lot of thought. One of the things that we have to take into account is the brand recognition that would be lost.

b0

Cloudy...
Thanks @pakalolo for the help to arrive to my new home, always a pleasure to share this forum with you all guys!! You family have been longer with me than a lot of people on my inner circle, much love to you all!!

Edit: Seeing "new member" under my avatar makes me feel younger lol

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Is anyone getting emails when someone posts to a thread you're watching? I'm getting the emails from FC but not NFC. Thought I had set up the alerts correctly when I registered.

His_Highness,
Reactions: Dutch-Mic

Planck

believes in Dog
Wow this place looks different, maybe I'm high. :)
Thanks for the manual registration!

Seems pretty nice. I have one glitch. SOme icons are just little empty squares. All the edit controls are that like "remove formatting bold text smiles etc. Any ideas?

So happy to have the smiles we know and love :brow:

ginolicious

There is a max for how long a post can be? Can I double post then? I’m trying to do a write up of toxicity on plants and nutrient issues and how to solve. Wrote a monstrosity of a post but won’t post since it’s way too big.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
There is a max for how long a post can be? Can I double post then? I’m trying to do a write up of toxicity on plants and nutrient issues and how to solve. Wrote a monstrosity of a post but won’t post since it’s way too big.
There is a character limit per post, the same as legacy FC. If you write a novel that requires more than one post, you are free to post back to back. If you do do that it would be best that you start the second post with "...continued" of "part 2" to show that the back to back post is intentional.

Edit: Forum post #420. Whoohoo! :spliff:

420.jpg

:peace:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Proud to be part of the old and new legacy of FC! Let's save all the rare vapor species on the FC's Arc, Fuckcombustion has become a second home,maybe it is first place actually,cause people are so much cooler around here,wish i knew such guys in my 'real' life. FC is my little sun that warms my inner self and relieves the frostbite of the cold reality.
<3

unsorted

Helllooo. Newly arrived. Appreciate the new site and all the effort it took to make it happen. Great work to anticipate the coming problem and solve it way ahead of the coming deadline. Kudos!

One question...on my display the scroll bar is black against a slightly darker black background, making it very difficult to see.... how can this be remedied?

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
This new site is a fantastic idea. Big props to everyone involved!

A question: Is there any way to have a white background instead of black? There was an option on the old site but I don't see it here. I'm probably the only person in the world who's not a fan of dark mode, it hurts my eyes for some reason. And I just discovered that I can't see the cursor at all on the dark background, as I wrote this post.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

A question: Is there any way to have a white background instead of black? There was an option on the old site but I don't see it here. I'm probably the only person in the world who's not a fan of dark mode, it hurts my eyes for some reason. And I just discovered that I can't see the cursor at all on the dark background, as I wrote this post.

I actually like the black better. :)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

In the lower left of the page you will see the style you're using. The default is Shades of Grey (Cream text). Click on that, select Xenforo default. There are actually two choices, one uses slightly larger fonts.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
In the lower left of the page you will see the style you're using. The default is Shades of Grey (Cream text). Click on that, select Xenforo default. There are actually two choices, one uses slightly larger fonts.
Large fonts! You are speaking my language. Loving the option.
Looks like three options are actually available (each in regular or large font).

doubledown

Just wanted to thank both @pakalolo and @Stu for all you are doing to not let this fantastic community disappear. Thanks also to the new moderators and anyone else behind the scenes helping. I don’t stay around FC all the time, but have been a member for years, participated, and enjoyed so much info and discussion. Long live the NewFC!

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Looks like I'm late to another party...lol :myday:

I also would like to thank @pakalolo and @Stu very much for keeping our Forum alive in its new incarnation. :cheers:

Nice to see so many familiar names already over here. My favorite Forum lives on! Now with threads that were not allowed before. :tup:

Top Bottom