100% Decarb With The NOVA

boocoodinkydow

I just got an email from Cara at Ardent.

Apparently the foul smell in the cap and sealant is the smell of properly decarbed bud.

I think she's full of shit.

Who else bought a Lift because of this thread then found it to be smelly?

What alternative is there? I've got a half gallon of trim to turn into something, maybe the Magic butter machine? Anything that makes oil?

Anyone familiar with the Levo II?

Don’t give up, man! Yea, customer service sux the big green weeny and quality is sub par but it does the job like nothing else I’ve experienced!

I’ve had mine well over a year now. I, too, noticed the horrible scent when in use and eventually realized it emanated from the inner silicon lid. And you’re right, it did stink up my weed to the point I wouldn’t use it.

I contacted cara about the problem and she avered my problem was unique. I’d seen far too many complaints on forums and blogs and called bullshit! She finally suggested that I soak it in soapy water and run it through the dishwasher in an effort to clean what may possibly be some chemicals it had picked up during manufacturing. I did this several times and while it helped the odor was still very evident. I contacted her again and she sent a replacement lid that smelled every bit as bad as the first.

My ultimate remedy was to tightly cover the the inner silicon lid with aluminum foil. No more stinky weed! After several months, the smell is finally completely gone. I actually think it was due to some yucky ingredient used in the lid that has finally been dissipated by the heat.

I’m totally amazed that they’re still sending out these stinky lids after all this time. Looks like they could have rectified the problem by now. I’ve never smelled any silicone product that smelled like this. Which leads me to ponder what it’s actually made of?!?

MonkeyTime

My original cover had the smell, they sent another that also had it, but much less. I used tin foil for a cover and left both silicone lids in the dishwasher for a month. They were both fine after that.

The unit works great. It's not inexpensive, and the build quality could be improved. But it works very easily and consistently, and the smell is incredibly less noticeable.

I use it for both weed and rosin, and I'm very happy I bought one.

boocoodinkydow

My original cover had the smell, they sent another that also had it, but much less. I used tin foil for a cover and left both silicone lids in the dishwasher for a month. They were both fine after that.

The unit works great. It's not inexpensive, and the build quality could be improved. But it works very easily and consistently, and the smell is incredibly less noticeable.

I use it for both weed and rosin, and I'm very happy I bought one.

My consensus exactly!

In FWIW category, Ardent is now touting their product as a premier device for oil infusion. After decarb, place the material in oil and run it through a second cycle in the Nova. They have lab reports purporting efficiency transfer rates over 90%. The stupid simple process was alluring so I gave it a try. One gram of decarbed herb in one ounce of MCT oil in an open glass dropper bottle and back through the Nova.

Disappointing results. I had previously made some oil by using a different transfer method with some material from the same batch. I couldn’t argue the point that potency was probably comparable but the effect was far less pleasurable. It reminded me of the results of some previous infusion attempts that I had over cooked. Possibly degrading the thc into cbn methinx.

A second attempt was also underwhelming. I found a member on another forum that had given the process a try and had a similar impression.

For those that have an Ardent and a bit of weed to waste I’d welcome your analysis of the process.

BCDD

boocoodinkydow,
Reactions: MonkeyTime

MyCollie

I’ve used mine a few times but didn’t notice a smell. I’m going to try it again with and without the lid with some older bud that’s been sitting around. If there’s a bad odor I’ll try wrapping the lid in foil. Maybe it would be worthwhile to put the whole thing in a turkey roasting bag to reduce the odor that escapes?

I bought the sleeve. Hopefully it doesn’t give off the same odor that people are talking about. I’ll give it a dry run a few times and report back.

boocoodinkydow

I’ve used mine a few times but didn’t notice a smell. I’m going to try it again with and without the lid with some older bud that’s been sitting around. If there’s a bad odor I’ll try wrapping the lid in foil. Maybe it would be worthwhile to put the whole thing in a turkey roasting bag to reduce the odor that escapes?

I bought the sleeve. Hopefully it doesn’t give off the same odor that people are talking about. I’ll give it a dry run a few times and report back.

Anxious to hear about the sleeve. I was thinking about ordering one and trying it in the oil infusion process to see if it altered the results. Was a bit reluctant about another silicone product from ardent, however.

I’m still a bit confused about the advantage it supposedly is to bring to the table. Are you planning on using it in the decarb or infusion process?

boocoodinkydow,

Hobbess

Relaxed

My ultimate remedy was to tightly cover the the inner silicon lid with aluminum foil. No more stinky weed! After several months, the smell is finally completely gone. I actually think it was due to some yucky ingredient used in the lid that has finally been dissipated by the heat.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

I did the same and the aluminum foil made an air tight seal with the heating chamber. No more chemical smell in the weed.

I decarbed a few loads of trim then a 1/3 load of buds. There's a slight roasted smell with the buds but I didn't notice a transfer to vaping with my Volcano. If your into tastes and odors this method is probably not for you. I'm interested in mainly effect so the lack of flavor is not an issue to me.

What I'd like to get now is a THC meter to test the cannabinoids before and after decarb.

Does anyone know of an inxpensive meter?

boocoodinkydow

Thank you sir.

All the meters I’m familiar with are hundreds of $$$. Last year I followed a thread on another forum where a couple guys were working with a TCheck. I think at that time it was about $200. They were comparing lab tests of the same material with TCheck results and were getting some very diverse readings. They notified the company and TCheck worked very closely with them in developing some new software and algorithms and eventually started getting some pretty close results. If I remember correctly the first unit crapped out pretty quickly. The company replaced it under warranty but it broke also and they eventually abandoned it.

boocoodinkydow,
Reactions: Samson

smoking Joe

My consensus exactly!

In FWIW category, Ardent is now touting their product as a premier device for oil infusion. After decarb, place the material in oil and run it through a second cycle in the Nova. They have lab reports purporting efficiency transfer rates over 90%. The stupid simple process was alluring so I gave it a try. One gram of decarbed herb in one ounce of MCT oil in an open glass dropper bottle and back through the Nova.

Disappointing results. I had previously made some oil by using a different transfer method with some material from the same batch. I couldn’t argue the point that potency was probably comparable but the effect was far less pleasurable. It reminded me of the results of some previous infusion attempts that I had over cooked. Possibly degrading the thc into cbn methinx.

A second attempt was also underwhelming. I found a member on another forum that had given the process a try and had a similar impression.

For those that have an Ardent and a bit of weed to waste I’d welcome your analysis of the process.

BCDD
I researched the nova and read all the reviews, the pros and cons. I wasted about ten grams of bud trying to make the green dragon. I used 200 proof grain alcohol decarb in toaster oven and double boiler for about ninety minutes. Only thing I figure was the decarb not done right and DON'T ever put alcohol in the nova! I plan on using vegetable glycerin in the nova. I am concerned about the smell of the silicone lid and plan on using tin foil to cover it. Here's the link if you need 200 proof http://xfbev.com/

boocoodinkydow

Thanx for the report, joe. I’ve found glycerin the most difficult of all mediums to get a decent infusion with. I made a batch once using my MBM2 that was such a dissapointment I didn’t even try to strain it; just jarred it and set in my cabinet. Rediscovered it about three months later and just for kicks and giggles gave it a try. The aged product turned out to be a horrible tasting, ass-kicking concoction!! Really enjoyed it by capping it until my dog got into my workshop, knocked it off the shelf and obviously lapped it up.. never saw the ol dawg again so I couldn’t ask if he was for sure the guilty party!

Let me know how your infusion turns out.

BCDD

boocoodinkydow,

kcmochris

I researched the nova and read all the reviews, the pros and cons. I wasted about ten grams of bud trying to make the green dragon. I used 200 proof grain alcohol decarb in toaster oven and double boiler for about ninety minutes. Only thing I figure was the decarb not done right and DON'T ever put alcohol in the nova! I plan on using vegetable glycerin in the nova. I am concerned about the smell of the silicone lid and plan on using tin foil to cover it. Here's the link if you need 200 proof http://xfbev.com/

I make tincture once a week using the Nova for decarb. I soak the decarbed buds in that same 200 proof alcohol and it is consistently on point. I would recommend the PSAM's method of "golden dragon." Involves putting decarb bud + alcohol in freezer for 24+ hrs, then combining / agitating, straining and some evaporation... Won't waste the forum's time with this tangent. BUT I have gotten successful results every single time with this Nova unit. I don't get a silicone smell on my buds after. What I do notice is the silicone and unit smell like pleasantly roasted buds. THAT smell doesn't go away. But obviously if you're picking up smell transfer on your product and are not pleased, that's a bummer. Customer service is A+ with this company and sad to hear the unit is not up to par for some folks here!

kcmochris,
Reactions: Samson

boocoodinkydow

I make tincture once a week using the Nova for decarb. I soak the decarbed buds in that same 200 proof alcohol and it is consistently on point. I would recommend the PSAM's method of "golden dragon." Involves putting decarb bud + alcohol in freezer for 24+ hrs, then combining / agitating, straining and some evaporation... Won't waste the forum's time with this tangent. BUT I have gotten successful results every single time with this Nova unit. I don't get a silicone smell on my buds after. What I do notice is the silicone and unit smell like pleasantly roasted buds. THAT smell doesn't go away. But obviously if you're picking up smell transfer on your product and are not pleased, that's a bummer. Customer service is A+ with this company and sad to hear the unit is not up to par for some folks here!

Amen to PSam’s GD tincture method. If you’re not familiar with it, joe, definitely worth you4 time to ferret it out.

boocoodinkydow,

MyCollie

Anxious to hear about the sleeve. I was thinking about ordering one and trying it in the oil infusion process to see if it altered the results. Was a bit reluctant about another silicone product from ardent, however.

I’m still a bit confused about the advantage it supposedly is to bring to the table. Are you planning on using it in the decarb or infusion process?

I think I'll use it to avoid any spillover issues when decarbing some concentrates. I could use it for infusion as well I guess. IT would be easier than using those tiny bottles they sell.

If it matters the sleeve has less odor than the lid. My lid has a bit of odor to it but you really have to put it close to your nose to notice it.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
If you live in a legal state, most likely the % of THC is on the label of purchased concentrate. Assuming it's a valid value, it's then very easy to make a tincture of known strength. Say the concentrate is 80% THC: 1 gram has 800 mg of THC (80% x 1.00 gram). Decarb the concentrate in a graduated shot glass. After decarb (while still warm for ease) add enough alcohol to total one ounce and mix well. There are approx. 590 drops in one ounce. 800 mg / 590 drops = 1.35 mg of THC per drop. Straight alcohol burns: I dilute drops in a splash of water and hold in my mouth.

Last edited:

Krazy

I would recommend the PSAM's method of "golden dragon." Involves putting decarb bud + alcohol in freezer for 24+ hrs, then combining / agitating, straining and some evaporation... Won't waste the forum's time with this tangent.
+1

With a decent freezer it shouldn't take that long but if unsure go for sub zero overkill. Scienee reasons why cold alcohol extraction is better than hot or Simpson oil and simple enough to google.

Krazy,

Hobbess

Relaxed

This morning I took a dropper of BHO drops that I made from decarbed trim that was run through my Nova.

Easily the most potent oil drops I've made from trim and with boocoodinkydow's tinfoil addition no chemical taste transfer to the oil. I've got headband and ringing in my ears less than 1/4 hour into the trip, could be promisinng.

I've also been vaping decarbed weed, I notice slight increase in potency and no chemical taste or smell.

I owe Cara half an apology.

Last edited:

yeswecann

My consensus exactly!

BCDD
I just asked Ardent about this and I'm not sure I trust their answer. They mainly use canned responses. It's like pulling teeth trying to get info out of them.

Me: If one was considering infusing decarbed kief into clarified butter, would you really need an entire cycle, because aren’t you really just mixing two lipids at that point? Wouldn’t it ‘over decarb’ producing higher CBN?

Ardent: …we found in our research that the oil acts as an insulator and will not allow the plant matter to decarboxylate once submerged in the oil.

I also don't understand how decrbing kief and decarbing flower take the same amount of time (also 'confirmed' by them.

yeswecann,

boocoodinkydow

I just asked Ardent about this and I'm not sure I trust their answer. They mainly use canned responses. It's like pulling teeth trying to get info out of them.

Me: If one was considering infusing decarbed kief into clarified butter, would you really need an entire cycle, because aren’t you really just mixing two lipids at that point? Wouldn’t it ‘over decarb’ producing higher CBN?

Ardent: …we found in our research that the oil acts as an insulator and will not allow the plant matter to decarboxylate once submerged in the oil.

I also don't understand how decrbing kief and decarbing flower take the same amount of time (also 'confirmed' by them.

Ditto Ditto Ditto! My sentiments exactly!

I came away with a similar feeling after contacting ardent. I’m just not buying what they’re selling re infusion. I, too, felt like my product was over cooked. Knowing that silicone is insulative, I queried if I might expect a different results by using their sleeve but failed to get a definitive answer from them.

While the super simple process is alluring, I’ve tried it enough to know it’s just not proficient in my experience in spite of the lab tests they aver. I stand by my opinion that their product is the best system I’ve ever used for decaboxylation but that’s where my love affair ends.

Don’t waste your Kief!

boocoodinkydow,

Hobbess

Relaxed

Ardent has a corporate culture already.

I've been decarbing all of the bud that I'm vaporizing, I find an increase in potency over non decarbed bud from the same plant.

An interesting tidbit I found while researching Ardent's website is that properly cured bud, with say 70%-80% THCA decarbed to THC, can be increased in potency to near 100% decarbed THC.

So properly cured bud can be increased in potency with the Nova.

Hobbess,

boocoodinkydow

I’m brand new to vaping (trying to luv it but...) and the first material I used was recently decarbed. Comparing the same material not decarbed, I found the decarbed material also a bit more potent and the onset came a little quicker BUT it seemed to lack the complexity or dimension of the non decarbed material. I’m curious if this may due to loss of some of the terpene content during decarb. Or may just be a novice placebo effect:rolleyes:?

boocoodinkydow,

yeswecann

Ditto Ditto Ditto! My sentiments exactly!

I came away with a similar feeling after contacting ardent. I’m just not buying what they’re selling re infusion. I, too, felt like my product was over cooked. Knowing that silicone is insulative, I queried if I might expect a different results by using their sleeve but failed to get a definitive answer from them.

While the super simple process is alluring, I’ve tried it enough to know it’s just not proficient in my experience in spite of the lab tests they aver. I stand by my opinion that their product is the best system I’ve ever used for decaboxylation but that’s where my love affair ends.

Don’t waste your Kief!
Thanks. Yeah, I think they're fibbing a bit about the infusion aspect because they want to compete with Levo and Magic Butter. I have several unanswered questions out to them to which I don't think I'll get acceptable answers. I too asked about decarb times with and without sleeve due to insulation. I just bought one and got a good deal but I don't look forward to interacting with this company and hope I don't have to. I decided against the sleeve and will try decarbing kief and them mixing it with warm clarified butter to dissolve, not overcook in the device which, by your account, is happening.

Pinehurst

I just wanted to know if what I'm seeing is online with what everyone else is seeing. My worries that my unit is over cocking my flower. I worry only because it tastes like burnt dirt. It's always been this way but everyone in here seems to say it leaves a pleasant taste. Here are the best before and after pics i have.
RN4s2Vs
Kd5UDZ5.jpg
oznfNPO.jpg
z1l0WWH.jpg

Pinehurst,

boocoodinkydow

I just wanted to know if what I'm seeing is online with what everyone else is seeing. My worries that my unit is over cocking my flower. I worry only because it tastes like burnt dirt. It's always been this way but everyone in here seems to say it leaves a pleasant taste. Here are the best before and after pics i have.
RN4s2Vs
Kd5UDZ5.jpg
oznfNPO.jpg
z1l0WWH.jpg

Actually I’ve never experienced a problem with the decarb cycle. It’s just when I do a second cycle in an attempt to do an infusion that I sense my product is being overheated and possibly degrading the cannabinoids.

Have you timed the cycle? Mine generally runs for 100 minutes give or take. I have heard of some isolated problems with the unit running insanely long.

boocoodinkydow,

yeswecann

Is PSAM's golden dragon method documented somewhere?

yeswecann,

boocoodinkydow

Probably not kosher to mention another forum here so google psychedelic Sam tincture and it’ll get you there. “Another tincture thread-try it you’ll like it”.

boocoodinkydow,
Reactions: MonkeyTime
Top Bottom