Discontinued Zion vaporizer

TheRobbo

I looked and looked through the threads and couldn't find anywhere why one would want to park their car on their Zion.

Would that somehow help out with the combustion problems?

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :rockon:

It would make the ultimate security for your vape though!!! Pretty hard to steal your Zion if you gotta steal the car first.

Haha imagine the signs at car parks... Instead of
"Dont leave valuables in you car"
It could be
"Dont forget to park on your vape!"

killick

But I like it!
As if my vape isn't in my hand already, or maybe coat pocket for a few minutes...

IIRC the Zion is also floats, and is waterproof (shake it out and give it a minute to dry. Maybe change herb...) All these rugged things appealed to me. A log vape, that takes a beating so I can take it out boonie bashing, and not worry to much about rough handling - I'm really careful, but when I have oopsie's they tend to be side-splitting for onlookers... And given that it'll take a beating means it'll take every day life without a lot of drama. One of the 'Beta Boyz' reported that his learning curve was uneventful, and he really just forgot it was new and it started as his new best ever vape. 'boring in it's simplicity', or something perhaps more Shakespearean... Like some of the best things I tend keep around, they'll take a drop or two and keep working :)

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
So past 90%-ish power it starts combusting? Is that so it can do concentrates or something? Or do the units all differ in max temp so they have to leave extra room for that?

StormyPinkness,
Reactions: steama

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
All of the beta units are slightly to more than slightly different as they are betas in an attempt to tie down the best combinations of control and output. Some even have different materials inside. The intention is to determine what is best and then produce that.

Production units should all be the same as they are the result of that process.

At least that is the intention. If RBT came up with an improvement 100 units in he COULD make a change, but the reason for the extended beta is to avoid that necessity. Were it not a concern to him many of you would already have your Zions. In this case delay is/was a good thing.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So past 90%-ish power it starts combusting? Is that so it can do concentrates or something? Or do the units all differ in max temp so they have to leave extra room for that?

It only reaches combustion if you push it. I don't think the intention is to deliver units with different maximum temperatures. Early in the development the beta team debated whether the top power setting should be hot enough for combustion. @RastaBuddhaTao felt strongly that it needed that extra room at the top, and as far as I'm concerned he was absolutely right. Think about it like the redline on your tachometer. Would you want a car that couldn't reach its redline?

lwien

Would you want a car that couldn't reach its redline?

Nope, but it would be kinda nice to have a limiter that wouldn't allow one to go either/or over redline or stay at redline for over a micro-second or so or maybe a limiter that cuts power just a tad before redline is reached.

I don't know how you would accomplish this in a vape though being that combustion also has a lot to do with density of pack, dryness of bud, etc etc.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Nope, but it would be kinda nice to have a limiter that wouldn't allow one to go either/or over redline or stay at redline for over a micro-second or so or maybe a limiter that cuts power just a tad before redline is reached.

I don't know how you would accomplish this in a vape though being that combustion also has a lot to do with density of pack, dryness of bud, etc etc.

You do have such a limiter that adjusts automatically to those variables: you. You can tell when combustion is approaching and you don't need to flirt with it. I've said from the beginning that one strength of the Zion is that things change slowly enough to react.

One of my pet peeves about vapourizing discussions is the tendency of many to think in binary terms. Compounds are released over a range of temperatures, not at an exact point. The difference between being within one degree of combustion and five or even ten degrees is not distinguishable. If you don't want to reach combustion, don't get that close. There's nothing to be gained from it.

One the other hand, the Zion is not a car. Exceeding the redline won't harm the engine unless you exceed some pretty reasonable limits. This allows the flexibility for solutions that involve concentrates and oils.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Not necessarily, its dependent on technique too. If you draw fast and hard for a quick hit at 95% you could be absolutely fine with the right pack grind herb etc. The whole initial idea of the dial was to find your spot, then use it mostly fixed for yourself. Then we pushed for ability to keep temps low (and i began temp stepping full dial on mine), so the spectrum of the dial changed to accommodate more variety.

And the way I think of it, at least as I understand it, the dial adjusts the rate it heats for the most part, ofcourse with a such a wide spectrum, sub 50% ends up pretty impossible to ombust because the rate is so much slower than 75% and above, meaning a longer preheat could be needed while a 95% hit could heat near instantly even from cold, albeit at a lower temp for the first hit (like Firefly but oh so much better)

Good to see you back here @lwien ;)

lwien

Good to see you back here @lwien ;)

I've just been so satisfied with both my LSV and MV that I don't get around to vape specific threads anymore, but on that note, can someone elaborate and tell me what sets the Zion apart from the rest of the portable field? And yeah, I know that this has been covered in bits and pieces in this thread but can someone capsulize it for me in a few bullet points? Is it a game changer or more of an evolution or more of the same repackaged?

Shit Snacks

I've just been so satisfied with both my LSV and MV that I don't get around to vape specific threads anymore, but on that note, can someone elaborate and tell me what sets the Zion apart from the rest of the portable field? And yeah, I know that this has been covered in bits and pieces in this thread but can someone capsulize it for me in a few bullet points? Is it a game changer or more of an evolution or more of the same repackaged?

Thats actually not a bad thing, wish i could do that more...

Anyway in short, you did mention LSV, I had one for a time. Think of this as a portable LSV is use and function basically (kinda lsv meets mflb in a way), but:

- all wood body with herb storage in lid and a stir/scrape multi tool

- airpath all wood and glass through stainless steel heater with mica insulator, then into a 18mm glass stem and mesh screen. So 18mm sized joints like LSV, also similar "temp" power dial, with a big FV style trigger

- uses two paired 18650 batteries that are easily replacable and last for around 6 to 12 bowls or potentially even more depending on the bowls (any amount of herb works)

- 3 year warranty, was lifetime for pre orders though (there's also single battery and dual direct battery-powered units coming without voltage dials)

- overall impression has been extremely positive and durable, becoming daily driver for most if not all beta testers, setting our standards too high... True portable desktop hitter on demand, and RBT just delayed everything a few months to fine tune vapor quality with heater layout. MrP has the most recent unit, Pak before him, more coming soon.

Last edited:

lwien

- airpath all wood and glass through stainless steel heater with mica insulator, then into a glass stem and mesh screen 18mm sized joints like LSV

Again, please forgive me if this has already been answered but is there any heated air that flows over wood?

lwien,
Reactions: vapen00b

Shit Snacks

Again, please forgive me if this has already been answered but is there any heated air that flows over wood?

Only room temp air goes through the wood body in the air intake hole at the bottom, then it is heated in a glass chamber encasing the ss heater and mica, then right into the glass stem of herb and ss mesh.

There can be a woody flavor in a fresh Zion though, since its all then encased in the Maple. It is pretty subtle though, even with my rough Ziggy Sawdust beta, and allowed pure taste to shine through, but you can tell like most wood vapes it has a signature. However I'm sure the production units are even better...

I edited my post above a few times btw, think I'm finally done now though lol

Last edited:

lwien

Only room temp air goes through the wood body in the air intake hole at the bottom, then it is heated in a glass chamber encasing the ss heater and mica, then right into the glass stem of herb and ss mesh.

There can be a woody flavor in a fresh Zion though, since its all then encased in the Maple. It is pretty subtle though, even with my rough Ziggy Sawdust beta, and allowed pure taste to shine through, but you can tell like most wood vapes it bad a signature. However I'm sure the production units are even better...

Yeah, that wood taste is what turned me off to the Vaporgenie as well as my beloved PD.

Much thanks for the explanation, SS. Nice to hear that it's only room temp air that passes over the wood.

Shit Snacks

Yeah, that wood taste is what turned me off to the Vaporgenie as well as my beloved PD.

Much thanks for the explanation, SS. Nice to hear that it's only room temp air that passes over the wood.

Anytime! Yes some need to break in, I think maple is a good neutral wood though, and it being out of the vapor path certainly helps a lot. I will ofcourse post about flavor in the production units when I have mine again, been a while since I've enjoyed some beautiful Zion vapor... Hopefully not too much longer

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

To be clear, I'm pretty sure he was referring to only the first couple of uses. In my case, there never was any wood taste. Jessica arrived having been used to test e-juice and so had that awful sweet glycerin taste, but it disappeared quickly. @RastaBuddhaTao tested Pauahi before shipping as well, but I'm not sure what he used since there was no flavour at all.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Electra, my first Zion, was something of a virgin and hadn't been through a LOT of testing, and had a tiny wood flavor for a day or 2. She actually smelled a little of wood just sitting there on the desk. All of the smell went away quickly. She needed some tuning so went back to RBT. She was a very pretty girl and someone else has her now. There are some nice photos of her starting around page 49.

Venus had been tested pretty hard (she considered charges) and had NO wood taste or smell by the time I got her. She is a very good girl and we are very close. And she is glad to knock my head off any time I ask.

killick

But I like it!
Thanks for the corrections above. While Z might not float I'm still thinking it's one of the few vapes I'd take out on the kayak, if I were still capable of 'yaking, just because it's pretty darn hard to beat into submission. Apparently. I know I'll certainly be trying.

One of my last runs was down a usually fairly quiet river, but it was spring and the runoff brought the water level way up, and 8it was moving quick. But not difficult. There was quite an eddy where we normally pulled over for a beer, and I went turtle and went downstream quickly. Tossed my paddle to the nearest person I knew and got the rope as the kayak pulled me downstream. It was about a mile before I got to land. The others caught up, (2 others also swamped before the rest avoided that area) I righted my 'yak, and my beer was still in the cup holder. Liquid Logix Remix XP10 has the best cup holders going! Also a really comfie seat.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
It would make the ultimate security for your vape though!!! Pretty hard to steal your Zion if you gotta steal the car first.

Haha imagine the signs at car parks... Instead of
"Dont leave valuables in you car"
It could be
"Dont forget to park on your vape!"

And if positioned correctly you could probably still use it.

I would recommend a whip, though....

Or maybe not. Just checking my wheel officer. Seem to have parked on a piece of 2 by 4.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I righted my 'yak, and my beer was still in the cup holder. Liquid Logix Remix XP10 has the best cup holders going! Also a really comfie seat.

Maybe one day they'll have a Zion cup holder! Be sure to improve your skills and not going turtle again as it might void your lifetime warranty ;) :p
Don't do this at home kids.
Don't flood the house with water. :D

DopeShow

It seems you want a vape that gives you temperature control and assurances against combustion. I would recommend the Herbalizer, Ascent, or Flowermate 5.0 pro. They each have digital temps and you don't have to Fret over the ability to combust.

VP abides.

This is exactly what im referring to. I bought a da vinci ascent for that exact reason it is the most accurate temperature controlled unit on the market. Although I realise it is prodominately a conduction rather than a convection heater. As mentioned earlier u can even cause combustion in this if used incorrectly.
Not adverse to the idea of a vaporizer that has a power control instead of a regulated temperature as long as we understand the difference. The confusion here has been caused by some of the beta users who clearly don't understand how to use an advanced vaporizer such as the zion.
I'll be happy to discuss the various positive features of this device once this distinction is understood by u r users. There still seems to be people here denying this fact and it is bordering on the ridiculous.
Can I just mention that the precise temperature control on the storz and bickel units are the reason they are considered the best vaporizers on the market although the zion units seem to be superior in almost every other aspect.

Being a carpenter to trade I can appreciate the wooden finish on this. And maple was certainly the correct wood to use. I assume if there's any flavour from it would only be a bonus.

mod note: Fixed broken QUOTE tag

Last edited by a moderator:
DopeShow,
Top Bottom