XMAX V3 Nano, simple&small.

krvnked

sorry if I am not using the term correctly what I meant to say is that even if you have a completely dead battery you can plug it in and use it while it charges at full operation

does that make more sense?

that's what I meant by pass thru. I didnt even read the manual. im using it and giving my feedback.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
sorry if I am not using the term correctly what I meant to say is that even if you have a completely dead battery you can plug it in and use it while it charges at full operation

that's what I meant by pass thru. I didnt even read the manual. im using it and giving my feedback.

True pass through means it's running off the wall power, what this has and what you describe, is just use while charging... So it likely would not work if the battery is fully drained, if you plug it in, you need to wait for some base charge first... This also puts an extra strain on whatever battery btw

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

that's what I meant by pass thru
Pass through typically refers to powering the device without putting load on the the battery. It's typically a bad idea to use lithium ion batteries while being charged as it can lead to over heating and reduce the life. I don't know if this applies to lithium polymer batteries but I would not do it.

Shit Snacks

I literally just told you it worked when I plugged it in immediately after it was dead

this isnt speculation I have the unit in my possession

if you want to not believe me that is fine

Well I don't know what immediately after it was dead means exactly, how quick it can charge, how much you can get, but the sessions are short, whatever the case I'm fairly certain it's not true pass through, that typically is an expensive feature and this is a cheap ass vape, so the term is still use while charging, not pass through, that's all I mean, just the tech, sorry

krvnked

it's a 50 dollar device you're never meant to replace the battery on. if it dies in a year, it was worth it. I understand that everyone values things differently. it certainly punches above its weight is all I was trying to say. there is nothing that can touch it for 50 dollars from any company.

Shit Snacks

it's a 50 dollar device you're never meant to replace the battery on. if it dies in a year, it was worth it. I understand that everyone values things differently. it certainly punches above its weight is all I was trying to say. there is nothing that can touch it for 50 dollars from any company.

Oh I totally forgot it had a non-replaceable battery, yeah it might end up declining further more likely than dying in a year, meaning over time you will get fewer and fewer bowls per charge is all, but potentially fully die sooner yeah, just more risk of strain on the battery cell, which already happens with normal use discharging and recharging (this is the other detail about true pass through: if your battery is fully charged, and you are plugged in, then you can run straight off the wall without depleting the battery at all... Fairly certain that is not the case here, it would just mean the battery keeps recovering from any discharge by the constant charge, as you use it) regardless good feature to have particularly when cells are not replaceable so if this was all someone had they hopefully would not have much down time without it. Thanks!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
A lot of spot on observations concerning pass though.
While it’s easy to test with a device with a removable battery, it’s hard with non removable ones.
The main issue, is the device makers decide at what voltage the device cutoffs. It’s normally in a range of 3.0-3.3 volts. But lithiums and LIPO’s have a super quick REBOUND effect, and the voltage could probably rise enough to enable the pass through to begin as soon as you plug it into a charger.

Personally, I don’t bother with any of this, as I plan ahead… and it’s really not good to stress a battery while it’s also heating up on a charge cycle.

Shit Snacks

I guess the ultimate test will come after a battery has fully died, won't take a charge, will you be able to plug it in and laugh in the face of adversity?

Yeah that's what they said above, exactly that happened... However Rusty put it beautifully, we have no idea what the cutoff is since it is a fixed battery, 3, 3.5v, 3.7v etc ehh?

seedy53

Yeah that's what they said above, exactly that happened... However Rusty put it beautifully, we have no idea what the cutoff is since it is a fixed battery, 3, 3.5v, 3.7v etc ehh?
i sincerely doubt at the level of 2.5v-2.7v, the device would not work

Last edited:
seedy53,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah that's what they said above, exactly that happened...
Yes, but language often fails us.
A dead battery to one is merely discharged to the point the device will not power on. Even 'completely' dead may mean that, to some folks.
So, I was trying to distinguish between that case and the 'dead' battery that offers no choice but replacement. (See, "This parrot has expired!")
Will a battery pack or AC power the Nano on in that second case, if plugged in? I tend to doubt that it would.

Curious to see what @MoltenTiger comes up with, I think they are pretty smart with this magic we call electricity.

I was just reading a statement from Healthy Rips saying all of their devices have pass thru charging. So much for 'expensive feature! :lol:

I kinda think that if the Nano had true pass thru, XMax would be waving that like a banner, to convince folks who are sure they must have replaceable batteries in their vapes. Nothing mentioned in the manual. I guess they will answer for us here soon?

MoltenTiger

Yeah so true pass-through charging would allow the device to function even if the battery is completely fried, or possibly even removed. It's a really solid idea for a device without a removable battery to have that feature, bringing much longer-term value to the product. As USB-C can carry so much power it creates interesting use cases. It can easily replicate batteries with headroom for charging. I've run units with a USB-C PD triggered at 12V converted to 4.2V, for up to 60-100W it is cheap and simple to do. No more sagging power rails and still portable-ish with battery banks.

My thoughts are that if pass-through charging is the case here with Nano, turning the heat cycle on with the charger plugged in might increase the load on the USB lines by the full wattage of the normal operation, because the power going to the battery charge will be added to or regulated with the power drawn from the heater. It will require circuitry to bypass the battery to supply inlet power on demand to the heater. Hence the term pass-through? Normally a term used for battery banks or laptops etc. when they can accept a charge and simultaneously charge something plugged into them.

If there isn't a difference of charge current on a powered up Nano, then the battery is just running the heater whilst charging, that isn't true pass-through, it's just charging.
And that 'use while charging', despite being a typical no-no for battery health/longevity, for this device I think it will be both useful and not as big of a deal as with other more expensive units. Definitely not ideal, but it's great not getting stuck in the present by creating only a small cost in the future. If nothing else it is a good discovery and handy to know about.

For my expected usage, it will be really useful if, when plugged in, it does indeed operate immediately after going flat and showing red lights and refusing to function. 'Use while charging' is a good feature for a cheap and occasional EDC type ultra portable. I know I'll forget to charge it ready a lot of the times it's going to be wanted. It might be flat atm.

Because of the 1000mAh battery and run time, I assume this is pulling something like 30-60W max. which is a lot of current at 5V, so I think it's more likely that power will always be pushed from the partially discharged and charging cell. And when I test I expect to see the charging current remaining fairly constant despite the heating cycle.

But, there is every chance for some interesting USB-C trickery.

However, given the price and recommendation of using a 5V1A source for charging. I think that's telling that whatever BMS is in this thing it's only fairly basic.

But that's what I like about the V3 Nano, so far it seems to be this really nicely considered basic vape. You put herb in, you click it on, wait for a while, and just let it do its thing, which it just does.
If it does that thing as soon as I plug it in when it reports being 'flat', that's a win in my books.
If it does the thing in several years if plugged in when the cell is old, decrepit and ballooned, it's still a problem to get the battery out, and for landfill.

As for performance with this thing, it's a pretty nice little unit. I took it out the other day to use on my way home. The next day I took the TM2 with pill cooling stem.
The Xmax took a lot longer to do the thing but it did do it.
The TM2 was fast and effective, definitely more so, but at 7X the cost.
The Nano really shines against a dynavap, where it's maybe more inline with that signature wlthout the manual heat up. And it gets hotter as you go, for longer, while vapcaps begin cooling immediately. Stealthy to boot, a nice subtle out-and-about unit.
The filling/emptying isn't nearly as clean though. But it's no slouch. I've given away my V3 Pros, I think the Nano suits me better but the Pro is the better unit. But it does give me the same performance that got me buying a second V3 Pro so I could claisen adapter them up.
Ultimately my preference is for a rapid and thorough high temp blast, where the TM2 has saved the day. But actually the more mellow style is still ample and unless you're already stuck on higher temps it is practically a viable option. And it's fairly warm at 220°C, ABV is a touch beyond tan but still far from scorched.
I like that it's so small and simple, has a nice bowl size, and performs gradually and effectively.

krvnked

Yeah so I just want to say it's possible that I made a mistake and that it's not pass thru. I must have been using it plugged in with just enough juice to produce vapor. Nonetheless, everything else I've said stands and I have nothing to say but praise about this device. I am truly ripped. I was gonna make a video review for you guys but I forgot how many bowls I already packed when doing the battery drain because I got too high and the only important information to give you guys was the USB C information which I made a mistake on. I'll go back and edit my posts.

can't find the edit button on old posts, does it disappear after some time???? I just want to be clear that I wasn't trying to spread misinformation and don't want to mislead anyone into buying it for pass thru. However, it's still a great buy.

MoltenTiger

Yeah so I just want to say it's possible that I made a mistake and that it's not pass thru. I must have been using it plugged in with just enough juice to produce vapor. Nonetheless, everything else I've said stands and I have nothing to say but praise about this device. I am truly ripped. I was gonna make a video review for you guys but I forgot how many bowls I already packed when doing the battery drain because I got too high and the only important information to give you guys was the USB C information which I made a mistake on. I'll go back and edit my posts.

can't find the edit button on old posts, does it disappear after some time???? I just want to be clear that I wasn't trying to spread misinformation and don't want to mislead anyone into buying it for pass thru. However, it's still a great buy.
Near enough is good enough, and the proof will be in the pudding. Off the back of ecig tech it's totally possible.

None the less, I'm glad you mentioned this regardless of semantics, as it's ordinarily not something I would try. I had the Nano plugged in when I transited out the other day as it was low, but unplugged it during use on the way back. I might have stumbled on use while charging as a feature but now I'm rethinking how I will use it generally. It makes a pleasantly simple vape even easier to manage.

Shit Snacks

Yes yes thank you all for the excellent input, I think it is great that you can use the device while charging, only wanted to clarify the features (also bc it was mentioned above, I am actually pretty sure the healthy rips vapes are all the same way, not true pass through either, so the terminology variance is certainly confusing!)

MoltenTiger

Well I've had a bit of fun today with the V3 Nano.

Happy to report that any foul flavour remains entirely gone and now everything is quite enjoyable. This is really excellent value, but not only that it's actually a neat bit of kit and the performance is pleasant, it's a happy medium tier hitter, doing the job nicely from one chamber and two 3 min sessions. ABV checks out as an upper medium dark tan and coffee blend, fairly even overall despite the slight gradient, but it looks well cooked. Really nice day time effect.

20231202-151534.jpg

20231202-145955.jpg

I rigged it up to a bubbler to drain the battery to meter the power.

The results were beyond acceptable! Having the unit inverted didn't introduce any noticeable issue, I checked carefully for any smells and it seemed nice and clean. The device and glass did get quite hot, enough to avoid touching but not enough to scold or burn. The clouds were proper.

With the charging test what I found is that my device remained unable to function due to the flat battery indicator continuing to show after power cycling during charging after gong flat.
It is using QC 2.0 protocol to charge from a USB-C 65W Power Bank, limiting the current below 1A, it has ramped up slightly after feeding in some mAh (3.8W in photo soon after plugging in, 4.4W now approaching 50% capacity, lowering to sub 3W from 70%).

What I noticed actually is that when you turn the device on whilst the charger is connected, it stops charging (current reads 0.004A once charging device is clicked on). So it looks like there isn't even a 'use while charging' feature, but it will seamlessly switch between functions (back to 0.878A once the flat battery indicator flashes [Red light flashes 10 times rapidly]).

Looking at the manual/specs [LINK] the working voltage is 3.2-4.2V.
With the considered safe battery regulation and capacity LiPo here, I'd suspect this device should continue to function for a decent length of time.

I've pushed 740mAh in now and it is really ramping down (~1.5W)
ETA: charge completed, 781mAh total.

I haven't kept track of time at all, the effects from that one chamber are rolling along nicely though. About an hour to charge or so. Time to test out this bubbler with a fresh pack!
(it was really good! :science:)

It's great to be able to stretch a bowl this far and get so many nice proper cloudy hits! I wanted a hybrid and this is solid, the vapour quality is great, just pours out.

Last edited:

MrBubblestacks

Just got the V3 Nano in a couple days ago so I'm still testing before casting judgement, but it impresses me for the size and price of $50. I believe the simple one button design should appeal to the general market, and higher temps often appeal to people used to combustion. Currently I'd recommend this vape for a casual / occasional consumer, however I will say a single bowl offers more effects than I expect. With a lower tolerance the V3 Nano has been a pleasure to use. I hope it works well for a night out but I haven't had an opportunity to try it out in that situation yet. I'm directly comparing it to the V3 Pro, both with the native mouthpiece and with the Accessory Attachment and glass stem from POTV.

krvnked

I dont have any proof of this but I was doing a little searching on aliexpress and I found these capsules that fit the DynaVap ... I have never seen them sold anywhere but aliexpress so im not trying to undercut any middleman here by posting this link but if someone DID want to use the NANO with capsules, I am pretty positive these should fit. I'm holding my DynaVap and nano next to each other and the bowls do seem to be the same size. I can also pretty much "insert" the DynaVap tip into the end of the nano up to the point where the mouthpiece fits in, so that is why I think they would work... also the nano's bowl seems to be long and slender just like these capsules

I may buy 5 to test out. I would say 5 is an appropriate amount for the device given the battery life. You could probably get somewhere between 5-10 capsules on a full charge, if you could fit them...

if this link isn't allowed I'm sorry I am a new here but I am just trying to help fellow owners out. there are pros and cons to using capsules and going without them, variety is the spice of life. options are nice, especially for on the go. I gotta be honest, after 5 sessions on this thing I get absolutely ripped. I wouldn't see needing more than 5.

side note: does anyone else feel like the flavor is better on the nano versus the regular v3 pro?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
side note: does anyone else feel like the flavor is better on the nano versus the regular v3 pro?
Me! From the page before this one,
I am beginning to realize I like the taste of Nano better than Pro. Since Roffu came along (using glass mp), I have preferred that over the V3Pro, though my wife does like the Pro.

I think the glass tube and maybe even the silver chamber contribute to yield better flavor than the Pro's mouthpiece arrangement.

So, I think flavor comes closer to that of Roffu, and that's a good thing.

Top Bottom