Wisconsin Cannabis News

Milwaukee County Board votes to drop fine for marijuana possession to up to $1

The Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors voted Thursday to decrease the fine for possession of marijuana and possession and delivery of drug paraphernalia to up to $1 as other elected leaders at the state and local levels also look to decrease marijuana penalties.

@macbill hope you don't mind I took a page out of your book here :) I did a search and didn't see WI covered.

Gov. Tony Evers will propose legalizing recreational and medical marijuana as part of the next state budget

Bit of an older article posted 2/7/21. Highlights from the article....

MADISON - Gov. Tony Evers will propose legalizing recreational marijuana as part of the state budget he introduces this month — a plan that could generate $166 million in revenue that would be used to help fund rural schools and programs for marginalized communities.

The proposal from the Democratic governor is all but certain to be blocked by Republicans who control the state Legislature. But it's possible they will pursue a narrower path and allow the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

In 2018, 16 counties and two cities voted to support medical or recreational marijuana in referendums.

"Legalizing and taxing marijuana in Wisconsin — just like we do already with alcohol — ensures a controlled market and safe product are available for both recreational and medicinal users and can open the door for countless opportunities for us to reinvest in our communities and create a more equitable state," Evers said in a statement.

Evers anticipates his plan would generate more than $165 million in the fiscal year that starts in the summer of 2022. About $70 million of that would be used to help rural schools and programs for communities that have been disproportionately affected by past marijuana enforcement and underserved groups of people like communities of color, women and veterans, according to the governor's office.

Evers is latching onto a trend that has been growing across the country. Fifteen states have legalized recreational marijuana in recent years, including Illinois and Michigan. Overall, 36 states have legalized marijuana for some purpose.

As envisioned, Evers' plan has virtually no chance of getting through the Legislature. Two years ago, he proposed allowing medical marijuana and decriminalizing recreational marijuana, but Republican lawmakers rejected those ideas.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
So little so late. WI ranks last in all the US states for Cannabis policy. Don't let this bill fool you. They passed a laws today to increase the punishment for butane extraction in WI. This bill isn't a good faith attempt and doesn't allow smoking, limits the conditions severely, and no home grow option.

To me this is an election year stunt.

Pinte

I feel like nothing is going to move forward until conservatives lose their majority. With the recent supreme court sway, we should hopefully see some redistricting blocks overturned finally. Meanwhile cities like Madison fully decriminalized, you can smoke it anywhere you can smoke cigs, and THCA flower shops are all over the city now selling for cheaper than national average without any ridiculous 30% taxes on top. No need to go to IL or MI anymore.

Principal Guy

Medical patient here in neighboring Minnesota. Things in Minnesota were never going to change as long as Republicans controlled one branch of state government. Before we legalized, some family in Wisconsin, Republicans, actually attempted to convince me that Democrats did not want to legalize either when Minnesota had split government. Presto, like magic, Democrats take control of all three branches and cannabis is now legal in the great state of Minnesota! Wake up friends and family in Wisconsin, you will never legalize until Republicans are voted out.

Top Bottom