Why the lungs?

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I have a hard time understanding this.

Why do we need our lungs for the vapor?

What is so special about the lungs that it delivers stuff differently than anywhere else?

If I hold the vapor in my mouth only, it's still hitting the inside of my body...so, why lungs? What about oil in the nostrils? Is that different than eating it?

I just don't understand why we use only certain body part to absorb stuff, it seems sort of weird to me? Any help please!

sessnet,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Because they are designed to? Well, for oxygen in the first place of course, but that doesn't mean we can't take advantage of that in efforts to poison ourselves.

Your mouth is just a place to taste and chew stuff in reference to ingestion, like every body part has it's function. You're of course free to try and pump your blood around with your feet, but why would you want to?

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I came up with a lot more funny examples if you like that, never really looked at my organs and limbs that way :lol:

Not oil specifically, but they are designed to take stuff out of the air we breath and transfer it to out blood stream.

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: sessnet

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
After a quick google I just found out that there's approximately a tennis court of surface area in your lungs...
That could be a factor?

Frederick McGuire,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Ahh so a quick injection into the bloodstream is what we are doing really! Makes sense now. And makes me wonder still... about other possibilities.

sessnet,
Reactions: Egzoset

sessnet

Noob Saibot
After a quick google I just found out that there's approximately a tennis court of surface area in your lungs...
That could be a factor?

Wow man thats insane! So they are basically sponges to catch all that oil. What happens then? I want to see a 3D movie of this lol...

sessnet,

djonkoman

not only do the lungs have a lot of surface(wich is extrabig because of all the alveoli), the membrame between the air and veins is also easy to cross for molecules, and other adaptions for maximum absorption.
the intestines have the same kind of adaptions for maximum absorption, but has to go trough the stomach first so takes more time.

but you could also try getting bit by a radioactive frog, frogs' skin is more penetrable(wich is also why they're extra semsitive for pollution), I think they can even breath trough their skin, have to look that up to be sure tough wich I will do after posting this

edit: I remembered correctly
Respiration and circulation

The skin of a frog is permeable to oxygen and carbon dioxide, as well as to water. There are a number of blood vessels near the surface of the skin. When a frog is underwater, oxygen is transmitted through the skin directly into the bloodstream. On land, adult frogs use their lungs to breathe. Their lungs are similar to those of humans, but the chest muscles are not involved in respiration, and there are no ribs ordiaphragm to support breathing. Frogs breathe by taking air in through the nostrils (which often have valves which close when the frog is submerged), causing the throat to puff out, then compressing the floor of the mouth, which forces the air into the lungs. In August 2007 an aquatic frog named Barbourula kalimantanensis was discovered in a remote part of Indonesia. The Bornean Flat-headed Frog (B. kalimantanensis) is the first species of frog known to science without lungs.
Frogs are known for their three-chambered heart, which they share with all tetrapods except birds, crocodilians and mammals. In the three-chambered heart, oxygenated blood from the lungs and de-oxygenated blood from the respiring tissues enter by separate atria, and are directed via a spiral valve to the appropriate vessel—aorta for oxygenated blood and pulmonary artery for deoxygenated blood. This special structure is essential to keeping the mixing of the two types of blood to a minimum, which enables frogs to have higher metabolic rates, and to be more active than otherwise.
Some species of frog have remarkable adaptations that allow them to survive in oxygen deficient water. The lake titicaca frog (Telmatobius culeus) is one such species and to survive in the poorly oxygenated waters of Lake Titicaca it has incredibly wrinkly skin that increases its surface area to enhance gas exchange. This frog will also do 'push-ups' on the lake bed to increase the flow of water around its body.[28]

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations SessNet,

...makes me wonder still... about other possibilities.

There's another one, better known by mothers raising a young child i guess, but i fear naming it here would cause some tremors... Yet there are people who might wish to benefit from cannabis without having to inhale or ingest it for some reason. For them there's a possibility but i'll leave the rest to the reader's imagination.

:peace:

Egzoset,

SD_haze

Fun fact: An adult's lungs, fully expanded, have a surface area of about 750 sq feet.
Approximately the size of tennis court.

Surface area is where the money's at :brow:

SD_haze,

vape4life

Banned for life
I was told my lung capacity is over 7L, which is greatly above average so I wonder what the surface area of that is! lol I'm also 6'3, 200lbs.

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Ahh so a quick injection into the bloodstream is what we are doing really! Makes sense now. And makes me wonder still... about other possibilities.
Don't forget sess, when you "inhale" the medicine goes directly to the heart and then the brain, NO liver pass. When you eat, evolution built in a little safety for us in that the blood from the stomach does a liver pass before going elsewhere which protects us in case we ingest the wrong thing. This is part of the reason why edibles are a different "experience" than inhalations. Eating is the most efficient way to get cannabinoids into you system but it can also mess up your tolerance . . .

vape4life

Banned for life
^^^^^^ lol oh really? So if I spill gasoline on my hands it goes right into my bloodstream? Although the skin can absord, it's main purpose is barrier.

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
From the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) article: Skin Exposures & Effects

"It is estimated that more than 13 million workers in the United States are potentially exposed to chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin"

Dermal Absorption

Dermal absorption is the transport of a chemical from the outer surface of the skin both into the skin and into the body. Studies show that absorption of chemicals through the skin can occur without being noticed by the worker, and in some cases, may represent the most significant exposure pathway. Many commonly used chemicals in the workplace could potentially result in systemic toxicity if they penetrate through the skin (i.e. pesticides, organic solvents). These chemicals enter the blood stream and cause health problems away from the site of entry.
The rate of dermal absorption depends largely on the outer layer of the skin called the stratum corneum (SC). The SC serves an important barrier function by keeping molecules from passing into and out of the skin, thus protecting the lower layers of skin. The extent of absorption is dependent on the following factors:
  • Skin integrity (damaged vs. intact)
  • Location of exposure (thickness and water content of stratum corneum; skin temperature)
  • Physical and chemical properties of the hazardous substance
  • Concentration of a chemical on the skin surface
  • Duration of exposure
  • The surface area of skin exposed to a hazardous substance
Research has revealed that skin absorption occurs via diffusion, the process whereby molecules spread from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. Three mechanisms by which chemicals diffuse into the skin have been proposed:
  1. Intercellular lipid pathway (Figure 1)
  2. Transcellular permeation (Figure 2)
  3. Through the appendages (Figure 3)
skin6.jpg

Figure 1: Intercellular lipid pathway
As shown in Figure 1, the stratum corneum consists of cells known as corneocytes. The spaces between the corneocytes are filled with substances such as fats, oils, or waxes known as lipids. Some chemicals can penetrate through these lipid-filled intercellular spaces through diffusion.
skin7.jpg

Figure 2: Transcellular permeation
As shown in Figure 2, another pathway for chemicals to be absorbed into and through the skin is transcellular, or cell-to-cell, permeation whereby molecules diffuse directly through the corneocytes.
skin8.jpg

Figure 3: Through the appendages (hair follicles, glands)
As shown in Figure 3, the third pathway for diffusion of chemicals into and through the skin is skin appendages (i.e., hair follicles and glands). This pathway is usually insignificant because the surface area of the appendages is very small compared to the total skin area. However, very slowly permeating chemicals may employ this pathway during the initial stage of absorption.

vape4life

Banned for life
Thanks T-dub! :D

Studies show that absorption of chemicals through the skin can occur

Many commonly used chemicals in the workplace could potentially result in systemic toxicity if they penetrate through the skin (i.e. pesticides, organic solvents).

The SC serves an important barrier function by keeping molecules from passing into and out of the skin, thus protecting the lower layers of skin.

It always amazes me how people spread information that is completely and utterly false (such as NYCdiesel's statement).

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
It always amazes me how people spread information that is completely and utterly false (such as NYCdiesel's statement).
Well while "everything" may not be absorbed I think the issue is more serious than you think and I don't think NYC meant to be innacurate, only brief. My spouse is a safety director for a large construction company so this OSHA stuff is real my friend.

From OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) on "Dermal Exposure":

"Most chemicals are readily absorbed through the skin and can cause other health effects and/or contribute to the dose absorbed by inhalation of the chemical from the air. Many studies indicate that absorption of chemicals through the skin can occur without being noticed by the worker. In many cases, skin is a more significant route of exposure than the lung. This is particularly true for non-volatile chemicals which are relatively toxic and which remain on work surfaces for long periods of time. The number of occupational illnesses caused by skin absorption of chemicals is not known. However, it is argued that an estimated 60,000 deaths and 860,000 occupational illnesses per year in the US attributed to occupational exposure, a relatively small percentage caused by skin exposure would represent a significant health risk.(1)"

From "NORA Priority Research Areas: Allergic and Irritant Dermatitis":

"Allergic and irritant dermatitis (contact dermatitis) is overwhelmingly the most important cause of occupational skin diseases, which account for 15% to 20% of all reported occupational diseases. There is virtually no occupation or industry without potential exposure to the many diverse agents that cause allergic and irritant dermatitis. Research is needed to better identify the prevalence, causes, exposure assessment methods, and early biologic markers of this ubiquitous condition."

vape4life

Banned for life
Not only is "everything" not absorbed, but "everything" also doesn't go right into the blood stream as was stated. That's all i'm saying.

I love my cannabalm! lol

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Not only is "everything" not absorbed, but "everything" also doesn't go right into the blood stream as was stated. That's all i'm saying.
Oh, I see. So NYC's statement was only partially inaccurate, not COMPLETELY and UTTERLY false, like you stated then.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
On that note, I think I will go exercise my "lung" with my new Zob :) Never thought of a diffuser as workout equipment!

t-dub,

vape4life

Banned for life
Oh, I see. So NYC's statement was only partially inaccurate, not COMPLETELY and UTTERLY false, like you stated then.

No it was completely inaccurate. What it should of said was:

SOME things that contact your skin CAN go into the bloodstream.

:horse:

vape4life,
Top Bottom