Why can't I get the same "high" than I used to get?

JBone65

Lemon-Skunk4-20-23.jpg

Finally renewed my license after the recreational initiative failed. Took advantage of the 420 sales to pickup some classic sativa & sativa dominant strains. Have been blending a too-wide assortment of cheap strains awhile, now "testing" a hardcore classic 7-sativa blend purely for "research purposes". The average price was <$47/oz. It's a hard job but somebody's gotta do it.

This is the oddball of the group. Lemon Skunk from ~1985 is guesstimated to be a 60/40 sativa dominant hybrid. D-Luxe offers it in their classic lineup. The original sativa skunk might not be available anymore.

The sativa blend definitely will provide the "high", but it's also very strong, and will make you groggy or sleepy if/when you overdo it. It's pleasurable and tasty, of course, but it also seems to be more satisfying IMO.

Last edited:

JBone65

Update: The 7-strain classic sativa blend might be too strong for everyday use. Although I'm enjoying being truly stoned again, I'm suffering some ill effects.

Seem to be making airhead mistakes at a high frequency.

If I screw up and get several hits within a short period of time, I'm likely to forget what I'm doing and start talking to myself.

The wife noticed the difference. She suggested I go back to whatever I was vaping before....

In short, it's great! An inexpensive sativa blend can be powerful. This also proves to me that most of the modern sweet sativa-dominant hybrid strains are not good enough.

In fact, I'm concerned someone, e.g. the 7-11 Corp, will figure out a way to make a pack of 20 sativa blend pre-rolls for $20. It all comes down to choosing the right genetics IMO.

I suspect it would be even better if I'd use less...:brow:

Last edited:

JBone65

Update, update: Added Lebanese Land Race to the blend, a pure sativa used historically for hash. It's supposedly over 30% THC.

Anyway, the "insanity blend" currently consists of 8 nasty sativas and/or classic sativa-dominant hybrids. I'm not exaggerating when I say this "cerebral experiment" has changed the way I experience cannabis. I would only recommend it if you're a crusty old fart with minimal responsibility.:myday:

I'm worried that some enterprising genius will market a pack of 20x0.7g sativa blend pre-rolls for $20-25. That's pretty close to my average price.....

Edit: I should add that, I've convinced myself there is a huge difference between the classic sativas and modern sativas. People who say that it's only about plant morphology are missing the main point, the quality of the high. Free Enterprise will expose the truth, eventually....:rockon:

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Update, update: Added Lebanese Land Race to the blend, a pure sativa used historically for hash. It's supposedly over 30% THC.
had a lot of labenese sativa in 2004, bad quality but old times, is it the sativa that makes you super happy ?
lebanon got good weed for sure.. idk if 30% of not, maybe the specific pheno, but it brings neat effects

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

JBone65

PXL-20230528-155217898-PORTRAIT.jpg

Small buds only $80/oz OTD. Not sweet, so most folks would never buy it these days, but it's the same high as with premium hashish.

Up until a few months ago, I let my nose do the shopping. I think I bought a lot of indica-labeled-as-sativa that way, wasn't fully satisfied, etc. I knew this was genuine when I smelled it. Not knowing the subtle smell of a kilo of blond hash, the young budtender tried to steer me away from it. Probably not the best standalone sativa available, but it's all business where it counts. It adds another dimension to the blend IMO.

JBone65

Just read that Kevin Jodrey is an instructor at The Ganjier, a cannabis industry school in California. I found his comments regarding various hybrid phenotypes and landrace genetics to be interesting. His overview of various landrace and hybrids was unusually clear, including the different effects of weed from northern climates versus southern. He also discusses ongoing efforts to save and improve upon the classic North America sativa strains which many of us surviving older folks grew up on. :myday: Sounds like they're making progress toward commercial hybrids capable of the same clear headed cerebral high.:leaf:

Damn, can't post the link. :doh: If interested you can search within YouTube "Kevin Jodrey: Jamaican Cannabis Cultivar- Part 1".

JBone65

Reviving this thread to report a discovery that might answer the question. Sorry for the lengthy post, but high-quality is an important subject to me and I'm hoping for feedback.

Bought an oz of bottom-shelf Chanel #5 labeled sativa with 26% THC & only 1.44% terps from grower Red Dirt Sungrown. The only review I found was in-depth from Askgrowers and it showed it to be an odd strain with low THC & high CBD, so I dismissed it and bought it anyway, discounted to $56. Later I contacted the grower and he sent me a short Allbud link for the strain he's growing. I'm thinking it's the same strain even though Allbud didn't mention CBD.

Totally unexpected, it's the best head buzz I've felt in many years, probably the first genuine head buzz, plus it has a long duration so it's satisfying on a new level. I'm talking about a clean racing head buzz, which can also bring on anxiety (novices beware!), lasting for hours.

https://askgrowers.com/strains/chanel-no-5-strain-review

There is almost no evidence to support this, except this one excellent video which went largely unnoticed. All supposed authorities say the same thing: CBD is worthless from a recreational viewpoint. It's possible that nature's CBD is only a mistake, but maybe it's really misunderstood brain lube needed for a full entourage effect. There's already a strong neuro-link for CBD since so many use it for neuro and pain medical purposes.

Last edited:

.brew

You cannot take the label percentages at face value. With increased corporate/profit incentive in this business comes the need to stand out amongst competitors. With few options to improve on the product itself that leaves competitors to engage in an arms race of claiming increasingly potent strains.

JBone65

Wikipedia lists CBD first in the list of cannabinoids needed for the entourage effect.

Check this fascinating paragraph:

"Cannabinoid ratios: On average, Cannabis indica has higher levels of THC compared to CBD, whereas Cannabis sativa has lower levels of THC to CBD."

High THC with low CBD is indicative of indica, period. I'm guessing breeders and growers have discounted the importance of CBD for decades while pursuing high-THC efficiency, probably resulting in minimal CBD in every strain today. All of my strains except one show 0% CBD on the label, which sounds impossible.

The short video in post#336 explains it all. Anyway, You won't be able to easily confirm that the mystery is finally solved until you find a naturally high CBD strain. It feels like a brain "caress" with elevated heart rate and heightened awareness for hours. An indica-looking plant produces sativa results when enough CBD is present. I think my ears are ringing more than usual, this purpose bred strain apparently has too much CBD. Need to blend it down a bit, extend it.

Sounds crazy but I'm thinking this is the clue I've been searching for.:science:

Last edited:

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Everyone is different, and our reaction and relationship to the plant is different. My goal has never been to recreate or recapture the first highs, but to be able to grow and consume the best medicine I can with a minimum of input, fuss, and cost. Aside from some seeds that were gifted, I buy from a reputable breeder from the Emerald Triangle, Twenty20 Mendocino. It's one county North, so the growing conditions are ideal here, being so simular. Going to a dispensary seems to be iffy in some areas, as I see in this thread, and that is unfortunate.
This year I grew indica, sativa, and hybrids. All did well, and I'll trade the memory if great first highs for current great highs any, and every day. Haven't needed to microdose, or cut back, or Tbreak. No compromises works for me.

JBone65

Alternating between my regular blend and cannabis with both CBD and THC has been an educational experience.

I think my Channel #5 is considered type 2 cannabis, not sure. I like the full entourage effect, with CBD, maybe every second or third hit. Too much and it'll make your ears ring..... or that might be tinnitus.

According to most "experts'", about all we know after 50 years of research is that Indica landrace strains contain/contained much more CBD than sativa landrace strains, but anything is possible with hybrid strains. Askgrowers.com is the only website I'm aware of that provides the full set of test data on commercial strains. Grew up on western hemisphere weed, might be time to look for a good indica hybrid or two with significant CBD content. Any suggestions?

Cannabis seems more amazing to me every day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom