What cannabinoids or terpenes am I jeopardizing by vaping at higher temperatures?

C No Ego

This was my thinking as well when I thought the entourage effect took place in the vapor itself, instead of within our bodies chemistry. In other words, I was thinking this needed to happen before I inhaled it, but others have told me it's about what it does in concert inside the body. So we can take our time over a session to get the most actives in our system, and then they interact and go crazy from there...

Exactly= think of a creeper type cannabis where you do not feel anything then 10, 15 min later wham! that is all the compounds making their way into an total entourage of degradation and metabolism @ the receptors until a biological response occurs...

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Great discussion all! So much has yet to be learned about the plant and extraction. @stoned-chihuahua did put forth studies I had not seen, admittedly I had not looked to support what I felt I had discovered on my own. This an awesome community and some responses I read as a bit personal whereas the comments that elicited the responses were impersonal. Difficult to do on a topic we are so passionate about, hopefully that will not impeded the sharing. Respect! -YaMon

Pimpslapper

I think if you only vape at max temp you are missing out on the joy of vaping which is being able to tailor your high.
I can rarely be couch locked due to life so usually stick to 180-200c depending on the situation. Never over 200.
I don't feel I am wasting my weed in the least bit

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
This is my first vape flame war and first off I want to say you guys are adorable. You are more respectful in your sassy disagreement than any forum I know of.

Some questions about this temp talk:

1) what do folks use to go above 428°F?

2) should I be avoiding 400ish degrees because of benzene?

3) is there a forum favorite thread on temp stepping ?

4)

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I routinely fly at 747 degrees Fahrenheit with my NewVape FlowerPot ShowerHead, but that is the temperature of the PID and thermocouple, not at the bowl. Difficult to say what the material temperature is when the hot air vaporizes it. All I can say is the experience is unlike any other vape I own.

YaMon,

C No Ego

This is my first vape flame war and first off I want to say you guys are adorable. You are more respectful in your sassy disagreement than any forum I know of.

Some questions about this temp talk:

1) what do folks use to go above 428°F?

2) should I be avoiding 400ish degrees because of benzene?

3) is there a forum favorite thread on temp stepping ?

4)
temp stepping activates your "inner fragrance" receptors, then your inner psychotic essence ,and finally your inner peace modulator... either temp step or just Step Away
Do not worry to much about benzene from vapor... you will breathe 100 thousand times more worse stuff just being on the highway 5 minutes behind other motor vehicles spewing their essence out the back side for you to breathe in... probably the air in a city is worse than anything you will find in vapor.... we have much bibger problems

Tranquility

temp stepping activates your "inner fragrance" receptors, then your inner psychotic essence ,and finally your inner peace modulator... either temp step or just Step Away
Do not worry to much about benzene from vapor... you will breathe 100 thousand times more worse stuff just being on the highway 5 minutes behind other motor vehicles spewing their essence out the back side for you to breathe in... probably the air in a city is worse than anything you will find in vapor.... we have much bibger problems
"Psychotic essence"?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644333/

Do people believe mental disorders are real and possess underlying essences? The current study found that both novices and practicing clinicians held weaker essentialist beliefs about mental disorders than about medical disorders. They were also unwilling to endorse the idea that mental disorders are real and natural. Furthermore, compared with novices, mental health clinicians were less likely to endorse the view that there is a shared cause underlying a mental disorder and that one needs to remove the cause to get rid of the mental disorder. Clinicians were polarized on their views about whether mental disorders are categorical or dimensional. These findings reflect current controversies about mental disorders in the field at large.​

Tranquility,
Reactions: C No Ego

C No Ego

"Psychotic essence"?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644333/

Do people believe mental disorders are real and possess underlying essences? The current study found that both novices and practicing clinicians held weaker essentialist beliefs about mental disorders than about medical disorders. They were also unwilling to endorse the idea that mental disorders are real and natural. Furthermore, compared with novices, mental health clinicians were less likely to endorse the view that there is a shared cause underlying a mental disorder and that one needs to remove the cause to get rid of the mental disorder. Clinicians were polarized on their views about whether mental disorders are categorical or dimensional. These findings reflect current controversies about mental disorders in the field at large.​
a subjective look at mental disorder- that's like their opinion man

analytika

what about inhaled CBD- CBD is directly responsible for antagonizing cytochrome p450
Unless you're changing the topic, irrelevant.

flavonoids, CBD, grapefruit juice, may inhibit p450. but that has nothing to do with the metabolism of THC that's inhaled.

oral THC gets absorbed through the small intestine and absorbed via the liver, and metabolism is affected by p450 enzymes. So a p450 antagonist is a multiplier. It's then converted into 11-OH-THC, which is also a multiplier, it has about twice the potency.

I try to avoid 11-OH-THC myself.

interesting that CBD antagonizes p450.

However inhaled THC bypasses the implicated metabolism mechanism entirely. Period.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
flavonoids, CBD, grapefruit juice, may inhibit p450. but that has nothing to do with the metabolism of THC that's inhaled.

"The flavones and flavonols found in Cannabis exert a wide range of biological effects, including properties shared by terpenes and cannabinoids."

"Cannabis-based therapeutics exert their pharmacological effects in humans via synergistic or antagonistic interactions between the various phytochemicals described above. These interactions may occur through various mechanisms including: (i) bioavailability, (ii) interference with cellular transport processes, (iii) activation of pro-drugs or deactivation of active compounds to inactive metabolites, (iv) action of synergistic partners at different points of the same signaling cascade (multi-target effects) or (v) inhibition of binding to target proteins (Efferth and Koch, 2011)."

invertedisdead,

C No Ego

Unless you're changing the topic, irrelevant.

oral THC gets absorbed through the small intestine and absorbed via the liver, and metabolism is affected by p450 enzymes. So a p450 antagonist is a multiplier. It's then converted into 11-OH-THC, which is also a multiplier, it has about twice the potency.

I try to avoid 11-OH-THC myself.

interesting that CBD antagonizes p450.

However inhaled THC bypasses the implicated metabolism mechanism entirely. Period.
THC as a mimetic to anandamide is both an agonist of CB1 and CB2... thc agonizes directly cb1 and indirectly cb2 through the peripheral actions... so- @ cb2 thc can have effect on CBD albeit differently but ... isn't entourage all about this mingling of compounds? None of the cannabinoids are exact specific agonists but rather weak agonists/antagonists with low binding affinity

"
The CB1 receptor was originally considered to be mainly a CNS receptor, but it is now known to be present in many tissues and organs and its activation leads to both central and peripheral effects [10,49]. Its best known effect is psychoactivity; its activation and the resulting ‘high’ are the most popular upshot. Its specific effects – in the nervous, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, reproductive etc. systems – are of paramount importance in vertebrate and invertebrate physiology.

The CB2 receptor has recently been bestowed the title of a ‘cannabinoid receptor with an identity crisis’ [50]. Initially it was presumed to be absent in the central nervous system. High levels of CB2 mRNA were found in the spleen. However, more recently it was found in microglia, particularly during neuroinflammation, which causes activation of the microglia and enhancement of CB2 levels [13,50]. Its presence in neurons [51] is still controversial – hence the ‘identity crisis’. CB2 is coupled to a Gi/o protein receptor and inhibits adenylyl cyclase, which is similarly affected by the CB1 receptor, but the latter can also be coupled with other G proteins such as Gs and Gq/11 [49]. It modulates Ca2+ channels, though less than the CB1 receptor, promotes MAPK activation and ceramide production among many other effects [13,50]. Interestingly, stimulation of CB2 receptors in immune cells after initial decrease in cAMP production may lead to a sustained, more pronounced increase in cAMP levels, which results in suppression of T cell receptor signaling through a cAMP/PKA/Csk/Lck pathway [52]. "

taken from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062638/

Last edited:
C No Ego,

Stonecutter

*5 years later*

Awesome thread!

I just got a Mighty+, which is the first vape I've had that allows me to dial in an exact temperature (Pax 2 was my first overall, and this replaced it).

I'm gonna go try some of your suggestions...

Stonecutter,
Reactions: LeftBased

LeftBased

*5 years later*

Awesome thread!

I just got a Mighty+, which is the first vape I've had that allows me to dial in an exact temperature (Pax 2 was my first overall, and this replaced it).

I'm gonna go try some of your suggestions...
Take this small temp chart with a grain of salt this is a gathering of data from scientific/stoner bro sources.

325°f = good for that super dry herb.
338°f = good for a myrcene yet lighter cannabinoid high. You still get THC just slower volatilization.
356°f = a nice balance of THC, CBD, limonene and other terps.
365°f = a terpene sweet spot, insane flavor.
374°f = a nice temp for everything almost and the volcano vape users use this temp and above.

383°f = some modern scientist?? proclaimed this is the maximum healthiest temperature for vaping flower with the least to none byproducts. Basically max terps and cannabinoids.

392°f ~ 428°f = dark abv, full extraction.
You can go higher than 428f however there is a risk of combustion..I have accomplished that by over vaping at high temps in a desktop. Smokey, harsh, rough tasting, smells super loud.

LeftBased,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Take this small temp chart with a grain of salt this is a gathering of data from scientific/stoner bro sources.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Interesting to see this discussion now that we have injector ball vapes... Higher temps delivered rapidly deliver the full spectrum of both flavour and psychoactivity as fas as I can tell from the last 2.5 years of testing. Unless you can stick a sensor inside your bowl and measure temperature while inhaling, absolute tempreature readings are meaningless... I disregard"the science" that is concerned with isolating individual compounds and the general (pseudo)scientific culture around sacred plants as so much hot air ...

Injectors have totally changed "the game" when it comes to vaping flower.
IMO To get the effect you want it is better to use the right material rather than trying to control temperature precisely. ( eg. clear vs amber trichomes )

Haze Mister,
Reactions: LeftBased
Top Bottom