Weird News Stories of the Day.....

florduh

I actually approve of research to help people with brain disabilities with a brain implant. Using monkeys and other animals is how scientists do this research before it becomes ok to implant devices in humans. There are people who volunteered to test these devices on themselves but it's unethical to test on humans first.

Like making sausage the details can be uncomfortable but I think the goal is worth it.

I think Brain Computer Interfaces will one day be very useful to people with disabilities. But I sure don't trust a guy like Musk anywhere near the project. Also if this is what it's doing to our closest animal relatives, I'd say the tech is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Neuralink chips were implanted by drilling holes into the monkeys’ skulls. One primate developed a bloody skin infection and had to be euthanized. Another was discovered missing fingers and toes, “possibly from self-mutilation or some other unspecified trauma,” and had to be put down. A third began uncontrollably vomiting shortly after surgery, and days later “appeared to collapse from exhaustion/fatigue.” An autopsy revealed the animal suffered from a brain hemorrhage.

They can't even keep half of the monkeys alive, let alone get the thing to work. To me, this looks less like legitimate medical research and more like indulging the fantasies of an asshole by torturing our fellow primates to death.

shredder

I think Brain Computer Interfaces will one day be very useful to people with disabilities.

Testing on animals first is how we get there.

They can't even keep half of the monkeys alive, let alone get the thing to work

The next test and more tests after that will get better results now that the scientists have more data.

Animal testing is nothing new, and a lot of it is more questionable than this brain research but most of the animus is over Musk and it seems like a bit misplaced.

I doubt he was all that involved considering how many irons he has in the fire.

I have no opinion of him personally but it seems he is into about everything high tech, and made many fans and enemies along the way.

I guess I'm nervous waiting for my genetically engineered pig heart, that my brain might give out first.

shredder,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Testing on animals first is how we get there.

I guess, but maybe it's back to the drawing board time. Like, let's drill holes into the heads of fellow conscious primates and hope this time it doesn't liquify their brains seems like a real inefficient way to go about it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have no opinion of him personally but it seems he is into about everything high tech, and made many fans and enemies along the way.

IMO, He's the PT Barnum of the 21st century. That's why I'm skeptical. Like here's this business genius's solution for traffic:

He reinvented the subway, but made it less safe and less efficient. Simply moving our current car traffic underground improves absolutely nothing.

That's just one example. His Tesla "autopilot" veering into pedestrians seemingly on purpose is another.

So, you're right. A lot of my animus comes down to Musk being involved. If some legitimate company was behind this, I'd probably be less prickly.

Knewt

I actually approve of research to help people with brain disabilities with a brain implant. Using monkeys and other animals is how scientists do this research before it becomes ok to implant devices in humans. There are people who volunteered to test these devices on themselves but it's unethical to test on humans first.

Like making sausage the details can be uncomfortable but I think the goal is worth it.
I mostly agree with you, it’s just that Musk is becoming more and more like a Bond villain.

shredder

I mostly agree with you, it’s just that Musk is becoming more and more like a Bond villain.

Not to defend him but look at other smart nerds like Henry Ford, Tesla, or Dr Sheldon Cooper, they're all wacky in some way.

I just threw Sheldon in there but you get my point. Brainyac type nerds can be weird, or even anti social.

shredder,

florduh

Screen_Shot_2021-12-03_at_10.44.07_AM.png

That's the haircut of a guy surrounded by yes-men.

Not to defend him but look at other smart nerds like Henry Ford, Tesla

He's way more PT Barnum than either of those two. Tesla actually invented shit. Henry Ford actually founded Ford Motors. Musk just bought Tesla, after a bet he placed on PayPal paid off. I think SpaceX's rockets that land by themselves are cool. Musk didn't invent that though. I suppose it's nice that a rich nerd is willing to fund cool space stuff, but at the same time I'm bummed that we outsourced the entirety of US spaceflight to one guy with that haircut.

Musk's big skill is he's a terrific marketer. He's also pretty good at...we'll call it "lightly defrauding" investors and the government.

Come to think of it, there are a few similarities between Musk and Ford when it comes to labor practices. Both are/were big shitbag union busters. There's also this...

The N-word and other racist slurs were hurled daily at Black workers at Tesla’s California plant, delivered not just by fellow employees but also by managers and supervisors.

I thought the LA Times headline was a bit hyperbolic until I got to this bit...

Tesla segregated Black workers into separate areas that its employees referred to as “porch monkey stations,” “the dark side,” “the slave ship” and “the plantation,” the lawsuit alleges.

Graffiti — including “KKK,” “Go back to Africa,” the hangman’s noose, the Confederate Flag and “F-- [N-word]” — were carved into restroom walls, workplace benches and lunch tables and were slow to be erased, the lawsuit says.

And maybe one could say this is just Commiefornia going on a witch hunt against a libertarian hero. Except a Federal jury just awarded a Tesla employee 137 million dollars for similar allegations.

Shit, how racist do you have to be in America for it to be worth 137 MILLION dollars?!

Maybe I'm wrong about Musk and he will usher us all into a glorious Star Trek future. But every time I see or hear anything about the guy every Spidey sense in my body says I'm looking at a con man.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:
macbill,
  • Wow
Reactions: Planck

florduh

When I saw a video titled "PETA's Top 5 Things You Should Do in Elden Ring", I took a deep breath and got ready to be angry. I don't like PETA and I love Elden Ring. I thought I knew exactly where this video was going. Doggos are god's most perfect creatures, but after an hour in this game you want to murder every single one.

Turns out I was wrong. This was a genuinely funny piece of content. The best joke I saw about it though was "I play Elden Ring the way PETA plays real life: I euthanize every animal I see".

florduh,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

florduh

Man, these fuckers hate women. I have a counterproposal. Do your creepy womb check at dispensaries. But only if they hand out government issued chastity belts to every man who attempts to buy booze.

Fathers who drink alcohol regularly before conception are associated with greater chances of birth defects like congenital heart disease, limb anomalies, clefts, and digestive tract anomalies.

It’s unclear why alcohol may cause birth defects, but early evidence suggests alcohol changes the shape, size, and motility of sperm and could also alter the DNA.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Talk about an odd, freak accident(s). He was so taken by surprise that his instinctual mental reflex caused him to turn his wheel to avoid the gator, but in his physical reflex response, he over-compensated the turn & flipped. No doubt, the road descending into a field might have been a key factor.

Last edited:
Summer,
  • Wow
Reactions: macbill
Top Bottom