Weed is not good for your heart, studies say

AMiA

And for the last two years i have only used 0.1,but every night before bed..and i had a break for 3 weeks when i was in hospital after a bicycle accident,other then that...tryed to have a break,but my body needs the 0.1 for restfull sleep and pain..So i agree whith you "nms",who buying that Cannabis today isn't a drug..Btw.thanks for your honesty "nms",i'm with you..;-)

AMiA,
Reactions: nms

Shadooz

If u need it to sleep, it's already addictiv effect.
But at 62, cannabis will anyway be better than sleeping pills addiction. Wich a lot of elder people are on cause of perpetual pain, etc..
U'll need to skip it some days, do something exhausting during the day, and level 1 antalgic only if needed before sleep (or level 2 codeine).
But at 62 hardly found a way to sleep is common, and cannabis help you not taking the blue pills, as i've understood :lol:

biohacker

1. marijuana being compared to drugs is as Ludacris as comparing heroin peanut butter and jelly.

2. cannabis was the number 1 prescribed (TREATMENT) not drug used by doctors and hospitals in an earlier time.

So you're saying that just because Cannabis isn't a pharmaceutical it's not a drug? Regardless, you're saying it's NOT a drug correct?

3. marijuana is not addicting

:rofl:

u need it to sleep, it's already addictiv effect.

90% of the world uses a drug every morning to wake up [caffeine] in some form, so it's all good!

But at 62, cannabis will anyway be better than sleeping pills addiction.

I think it will be better at ANY AGE!

AMiA

To be totally honest "Shadooz",i don't like to get hooked to anything..coffee,without that in the early morning and one after lunch i get a headache,without meditation/prayers my mood change to the not-so-good-mode..and if i try to stop vaping my 0.1 of cannabis i get moody due to not get enough sleep....So i honestly don't like my weed just to be abel more or less have a good nights sleep,well guess what..mody the next day is the effect from not using it..bummer.So i know it's,for me it's addicitive..
So when time is right i maybe quit smoking all together,until then...0.1 here i come ;-)

AMiA,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
Why are drugs bad?
Seems weird to take that approach to a inanimate object to me.
Very handy they seem in my experience and I doubt I would be alive still without them.
I think the issue is some of the people who use them.
Cannabis is absolutely a pharmacological substance and is habit forming.
Habit and physical addiction are wildly different things it seems to me.
I am gonna to crush some thca dabs for my wake and bake in celebration.
😜

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
Yeah, if you are going to have this conversation, I'd say it is important to define and differentiate 'addiction' and 'dependence'.

C No Ego

the omega threes are great for your heart = WHY? they turn into endocannabinoids !!!!!!!!!

phytocannabinoid from " The Cannabis" are already formed cannabinoids that do not need phospholipid displacement @ the membrane ( deplolarization induced signaling) to signal ... ther is actually less lack displacement when metabolizing already formed cannabinoids on the surface of the cells .
that is one way to describe the healthy aspect and why but if the articles being brought up do not connect the essential fatty acids to phytocannabinoids then expect skewed results .
This = phyt6ocannabinoids are essentuial fatty acyls . N-acyls ETC ... the THC varieties access the Amines of ethanol ( the High) while the CBD varieties also have that alcohol effect @ the Diol

Shadooz

@AMiA I used to take 3g a week, and now 0.1g a month... thanks to vap.
But i'm 28, way easier for a body wich is not used to things during lots of years.
And got no issue with sleep during my slow down.

@arb drugs can't be bad, only the way u use them.

@WisePenny13 they're linked, dependency is a side effect of addiction

Shadooz

No, dependency is physical, could occur without addiction like diabetic type 1, with insulin.
Addiction always start psychologicaly, and become physical when u get dependency. Dependency is an aggravation of addiction, you are already on advance phase when they're both present for a drug. But addiction can be there without dependency, as it was for me.

Shadooz,

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I don't agree that dependency is a side effect of addiction - Yes they can be linked, but they are not necessarily, nor does dependency need to end in addiction.

The main characteristic that distinguishes addiction from dependence is the combination of mental and physical dependence with uncontrollable behavior in obtaining and using a substance.

If a medication alleviates symptoms and is used for that purpose on a regular basis, the individual can be said to be dependent on that medication. The intent of the medication is to relieve symptoms or correct an imbalance, and in this example, it effectively does that.

Edit: also there are both 'physical dependency' and 'mental dependency', they are also separate things.

No, dependency is physical, could occur without addiction like diabetic type 1, with insulin.
Addiction always start psychologicaly, and become physical when u get dependency. Dependency is an aggravation of addiction, you are already on advance phase when they're both present for a drug. But addiction can be there without dependency, as it was for me.
This exactly why these conversations need to first agree on definitions of terms.

Shadooz

I don't agree that dependency is a side effect of addiction - Yes they can be linked, but they are not necessarily, nor does dependency need to end in addiction.

U must not have read my last post or misread it..

If a medication alleviates symptoms and is used for that purpose on a regular basis, the individual can be said to be dependent on that medication. The intent of the medication is to relieve symptoms or correct an imbalance, and in this example, it effectively does that.

That's why i prefer the term addictiv consomation when talking about medication, dependency is here to confront with the benefice of that drug. But there is still a dosage where above it's a psychological weakness (addiction symptom) that leads your way of medication.

Shadooz,

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
@WisePenny13 they're linked, dependency is a side effect of addiction
I didn't misread.
U must not have read my last post or misread it...

That's why i prefer the term addictiv consomation when talking about medication, dependency is here to confront with the benefice of that drug. But there is still a dosage where above it's a psychological weakness (addiction symptom) that leads your way of medication.
Do you now understand my point? If we are all using different terms to describe things, or if we are using the same terms but with different meanings, then we may not be able to have a very useful or constructive conversation.
The way you've defined dependency and addiction here are different than the way I would define them. Therein lies the problem.

WisePenny,

Shadooz

I've got the medical terminaology..
For diabetic we say "insulino-dependant".
And that's the only way to define dependency, as physical reaction when u are below your "abnormal/normal".

For addiction, it's got divergent meaning, different phases and gradation.
But symptoms are easily defined. Dependency is one of them.

But here, the major part of peoples, if they got dependency, it's come from their addictions.
The medicated only are few and dosage must be well balanced by meds for each case. With check of hyper/hypo tension as we are in an heart related thread here.

Just be carefull if u got heart weakness, cholesterol etc... as it induces vasodilatation
And anyway just take it easy

nms

Cannabis has a physical component in it's addiction or dependency pattern, whatever linguistic treats suits you because it messes with dopamine release. Affecting the dopamine release mechanism in your brain is a pretty physical concept, and that's what THC does. It connects to receptors mostly termed CB1 and CB2, where the first is located mostly in the brain(to a less extent lungs liver and kidneys) and the second in immune system cells(reason why cannabis generally makes your immune system weaker on one hand but more active on the other).

The physical process triggered by THC is still not entirely known but is very complex:

After the receptor is engaged, multiple intracellular signal transduction pathways are activated. At first, it was thought that cannabinoid receptors mainly inhibited the enzyme adenylate cyclase (and thereby the production of the second messenger molecule cyclic AMP), and positively influenced inwardly rectifying potassium channels (=Kir or IRK).[32] However, a much more complex picture has appeared in different cell types, implicating other potassium ion channels, calcium channels, protein kinase A and C, Raf-1, ERK, JNK, p38, c-fos, c-jun and many more.[32] For example, in human primary leukocytes CB2 displays a complex signalling profile, activating adenylate cyclase via stimulatory Gαs alongside the classical Gαi signalling, and induces ERK, p38 and pCREB pathways.[33]

Regardless, the THC does a similar action to Anandamide which is the neurotransmiter available in our body naturally. Anyone who says THC is alright because we have a receptor for it, no we do not. It is an agonist for the CB1 receptors, because it shares part of the same molecular structure as Anandamide, but its not an exact replacement for it and the effects are very different as THC will have far more intense effects than anandamide. A few years back we had the RC crisis where people synthetized more agonists for this receptors based on THC and some had awful effects, research if curious.

The results showed the following: 1) Δ9-THC produced dose-related impairments of discrimination-based cognitive behavior with potency that varied across tasks (discriminative capability < learning < flexibility < short-term memory); 2) anandamide alone and URB597 alone were without effect on all endpoints; 3) anandamide following URB597 pretreatment and methanandamide had negligible effects on discriminative capability, learning, and reversal, but following large doses affected delayed matching-to-sample performance in some subjects; 4) all drugs, except anandamide and URB597, disrupted attention; and 5) progressive ratio breakpoints were generally unaffected by all drugs tested, suggesting little to no effect on motivation. Taken together, these data indicate that metabolically stable forms of anandamide may have lesser adverse effects on cognitive functions than Δ9-THC, possibly offering a therapeutic advantage in clinical settings.

As a result of the singalling process described above, THC will cause your neurons to release dopamine. Dopamine controls many processes in your body, particularly related to learning, habit forming and as consequence addiction. This happens because it's responsible for the reward response. Anything that messes with dopamine is by nature addictive.

The consistent use of a substance that causes dopamine release(ignoring everything else for now) causes without a doubt the dopamine system to work differently and this is what's believed to be responsible for cannabis addiction(follow references in the article below), which by consequence is very physical:

Lower dopamine synthesis capacity in the dorsal striatum is directly associated with reduced motivational levels76 and reduced dopamine release in the ventral striatum is directly associated with negative emotion levels and addiction severity70

For anecdotal verification of all this, it's pretty simple. If you are a heavy user, stop consuming and you will find yourself having withdrawal symptoms, most people do at least. Cannabis withdrawal has even been integrated into DSM V since 2013 and CRT has been proposed as a way to deal with it, because some patients consistently relapse into cannabis consumption due to the persisting withdrawal symptoms:​

All in all, scientific evidence aside, experience with addictive substances is enough to understand the symptoms of addiction and they're generally quite easy to recognize. If you feel like you have to justify the use of a drug, or that you need to give character or essence to a drug, then you need to re-assess how dependant you are on it.

Cannabis is a bundle of many substances, most of which we do not know the effects of. We have lots evidence on harmful effects, some evidence on positive effects and some indicators on possible beneficial effects. Cannabis extracts in the form of marinol and dronabinol are given to patients as confirmed treatments for problems nowadays in most countries. Many countries do recognize the medicinal value of cannabis but still do not allow for recreative use due to the evidence regarding the lack of safety of it's use.

I consume cannabis because it makes me feel good. It's the same reason as I'd consume any other recreative drug. Some people have found therapeutic value in the effects of it, and use it as aid for sleep, pain management, appetite management, etc... These people generally do so at their own risk and based on the for now unfounded belief that it is better than an over the counter replacement. Studies have yet to compare the efficiency of the given cannabinoid with the currently used medicines.

Cannabis like any other drug, be it a pharmaceutical drug or not will have a long list of side effects and as such awareness of this is key.

I never understood why some people worship cannabis as if it was a goddess. But I found this extremely curious and even came to have related discussions regarding whether the expression of this feeling in human use has not been an evolutionary step taken by the plant to ensure it's survival.

I love feeling high, but then most recreational drugs are lovable. Doesn't mean they're healthy. Doesn't mean they're anything other than a series of random molecules that happen to trigger certain biological processes.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Cannabis has a physical component in it's addiction or dependency pattern, whatever linguistic treats suits you because it messes with dopamine release. Affecting the dopamine release mechanism in your brain is a pretty physical concept, and that's what THC does. It connects to receptors mostly termed CB1 and CB2, where the first is located mostly in the brain(to a less extent lungs liver and kidneys) and the second in immune system cells(reason why cannabis generally makes your immune system weaker on one hand but more active on the other).

The physical process triggered by THC is still not entirely known but is very complex:

Regardless, the THC does a similar action to Anandamide which is the neurotransmiter available in our body naturally. Anyone who says THC is alright because we have a receptor for it, no we do not. It is an agonist for the CB1 receptors, because it shares part of the same molecular structure as Anandamide, but its not an exact replacement for it and the effects are very different as THC will have far more intense effects than anandamide. A few years back we had the RC crisis where people synthetized more agonists for this receptors based on THC and some had awful effects, research if curious.

As a result of the singalling process described above, THC will cause your neurons to release dopamine. Dopamine controls many processes in your body, particularly related to learning, habit forming and as consequence addiction. This happens because it's responsible for the reward response. Anything that messes with dopamine is by nature addictive.

The consistent use of a substance that causes dopamine release(ignoring everything else for now) causes without a doubt the dopamine system to work differently and this is what's believed to be responsible for cannabis addiction(follow references in the article below), which by consequence is very physical:

For anecdotal verification of all this, it's pretty simple. If you are a heavy user, stop consuming and you will find yourself having withdrawal symptoms, most people do at least. Cannabis withdrawal has even been integrated into DSM V problem since 2013 and CRT has been proposed as a way to deal with it, because some patients consistently relapse into cannabis consumption due to the persisting withdrawal symptoms:​

All in all, scientific evidence aside, experience with addictive substances is enough to understand the symptoms of addiction and they're generally quite easy to recognize. If you feel like you have to justify the use of a drug, or that you need to give character or essence to a drug, then you need to re-assess how dependant you are on it.

Cannabis is a bundle of many substances, most of which we do not know the effects of. We have lots evidence on harmful effects, some evidence on a few positive effects and some indicators on possible beneficial effects. Cannabis extracts in the form of marinol and dronabinol are given to patients as confirmed treatments for problems nowadays in most countries. Many countries do recognize the medicinal value of cannabis but still do not allow for recreative use due to the evidence regarding the lack of safety of it's use.

I consume cannabis because it makes me feel good. It's the same reason as I'd consume any other recreative drug. Some people have found therapeutic value in the effects of it, and use it as aid for sleep, pain management, appetite management, etc... These people generally do so at their own risk and based on the for now unfounded belief that it is better than an over the counter replacement. Studies have yet to compare the efficiency of the given cannabinoid with the currently used medicines.

Cannabis like any other drug, be it a pharmaceutical drug or not will have a long list of side effects and as such awareness of this is key.

I never understood why some people worship cannabis as if it was a goddess. But I found this extremely curious and even came to have related discussions regarding whether the expression of this feeling in human use has not been an evolutionary step taken by the plant to ensure it's survival.

I love feeling high, but then most recreational drugs are lovable. Doesn't mean they're healthy. Doesn't mean they're anything other than a series of random molecules that happen to trigger certain biological processes.
That took three big dabs for me to digest........the dabs that is.
😳

Shadooz

The dopamine increased level is present in most of the drugs (codeine, morphine, amphetamine). That excess level repeditively reach by addictive consomation (not talking about addiction yet). Will raise your normal level, (abnormal/normal of my post). Which gonna lead to the need (which caracterize the dependency).
And will lead to advance levels of addiction, or/and depression if lacking.

Cannabis isn't the one that affect the most the dopamine liberation. Not as much than opioide (codeine/morphine/heroine).

Even if some side effects are unknown, there is thousand years of feedback, that shows and even demonstrate no major impact in the sick monkey (human) lifetime.
That lack of counter argument leads to the massive legalisation around the world, and the medical use for beneficial effect, cause cannabis got some. Just not a cure to everything. But when there is nothing else for a define purpose, use it anyway...

About goddess. :lol: I'v got that thought about an adaptation of the plant for the "unatural selection" that occur. Like the evolution of domesticated pets. But plants have not that inteligence. that's human themselves, whom optimise and make the effect they want always more present. Lot of hemps have no thc, human selection only raises her allurement :lol:
Every drug wich leads to meditative state, can show up some deiity loves.

@arbs take another dab :lol:

AMiA

Thanks for the inputs,in my eyes,a very intresting view of the use/missuse of Cannabis.Looking forward to read more inputs how you dabbers/heavy hitters thinks about your personal use.
I can tell you last night i only had ONE hit intead of the usuall 3 (0.1)i also downloaded some Guided Sleep motivation file for U-Tube..effects were okey when it comes to sleep...went to bed 21.00,listen to the file i DL:ed,woke up around 03.00..toilett ;-)getting old is a bitch ;-)back to bed woke up agin around 05.30...Coffee time 06.00..feeling good.I would have liked a tad better sleep,but all in all okey..Going to have this lowering of my use for the toningts sleep too+Meditation..see if i can finally have a full S T O P..if not,i'm not going to bash myself to hard if i can't .
Take care everyone,and if you feel your'e overdoing it,you probably right,take action and stay healthy.

AMiA,

Shadooz

Don't worry, u already on low side. 0.1 is small.
But some day without can only be good, help to reduce accustoming (i'v found that english lexical give me "addiction" first to the word "accoutumance", which is different from the def.. arf terms issues :doh:, british take a fast approach )
One of the drug you're the most accustomed must be coffee and as you only have sleeping issue, it will be the one i would focus on, decaffeinated.

If you can, try too choose a strain that suit you, indica dominant low thc (~10%) and high cbd. Depend of where u live, choice could be unavailable, i know...

Take care, but enjoy life

Last edited:

C No Ego

Wow ! this thread takes such directions ... went from trying to say the Cannabis is bad for your heart with no biochemistry to prove it and then what ... we are on that mental train of thinking here ...

C No Ego,

nms

The exact processes by which weed negatively affects your heart are still not precisely known, I just clarified that weed was isolated as an independent indicator of certain heart conditions meaning it is no longer questionable that it has negative effects on the heart(the study published failed to isolate it as an independent indicator).

It is the same as saying, people who smoke tobacco have an higher chance of lung cancer. Now we can say, people who consume weed have an higher chance of heart failure. It's not by a slight increase but it's there and has been verified in multiple samples of different origins.

The only thing that changed from my first post to the most recent one is that I've read more articles on the subject that were able to clarify this.

I think it's cool that we're always learning and not afraid to change our opinions as science evolves.

nms,
Reactions: AMiA

C No Ego

The exact processes by which weed negatively affects your heart are still not precisely known, I just clarified that weed was isolated as an independent indicator of certain heart conditions meaning it is no longer questionable that it has negative effects on the heart(the study published failed to isolate it as an independent indicator).

It is the same as saying, people who smoke tobacco have an higher chance of lung cancer. Now we can say, people who consume weed have an higher chance of heart failure. It's not by a slight increase but it's there and has been verified in multiple samples of different origins.

The only thing that changed from my first post to the most recent one is that I've read more articles on the subject that were able to clarify this.

I think it's cool that we're always learning and not afraid to change our opinions as science evolves.
that is the thing = you've clarified nothing . just read more off the same that does not have any proof whatsoever ... it is like this ... until we can legit teach endocannabinoid system / cannabinoid science ( and make conclusions based from that) we are but guessing when observing the lipid metabolism of the cannabis plant ...
in terms of tobacco we know exactly how it is harming people ... it blocks the airways and causes less oxygen in the body ... cannabis is exact opposite , it opens airways and helps our cells transport oxygen via lipid signaling .
on one hand soemone who knows the cannabinoid science will say the heart protection is provided via metabolizing the plant and provides that for 30 days thereafter ... other people who do not know this will claim that the plant effect them for thirty days there after and confusion as to why rues their day

C No Ego,

Shadooz

@nms You haven't shown any article that gives an ounce of what smoking tabacoo do to lungs.
The risk mentionned by argregating all the articles are more comparable of the risk than coffee get to heart. Even lower...

Some studies have even shown positive effect (as fibralgy reduction).

@C No Ego

The only reason we get to addiction (except amia questionning) is that only heart weakness must be carefull.
Arterial tension is THE data to watch.
But with a non exces, it's a treatment that can be use even with cardiac pathology. Just have to do a medical way of consomation, the all followed and dictated by meds. No automedication.

Last edited:
Shadooz,
Top Bottom