• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

NFC We need to get rid of the "thumb's down" vote

JCat

Accessory Maker
I just want to say that this only ends up creating conflict. I saw in an unnamed forum an unnamed member (who had their 1st post removed by the way), gave a "thumb's down" vote to another member, for a well thought out, and reasonable post. (this is, by the way, the 1st instance of the "thumbs down" being used I've seen in the forum, so that's amazing in and of itself! :) )

I believe this option to express "dislike", not just some form of support, leads to conflict in the forum ... just my 2 cents.

ie. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Now that being said, if one has something to add to the conversation, to generate debate or simply to express a different opinion, then by all means ... that's great! This, however, doesn't add to the conversation as it doesn't express "why" someone disagrees or "what" they disagree with.

Edit: (I wonder if I'm going to get down-voted/thumbs down for this post?? :lol: )

Vaporware

I just want to say that this only ends up creating conflict. I saw in an unnamed forum an unnamed member (who had their 1st post removed by the way), gave a "thumb's down" vote to another member, for a well thought out, and reasonable post. (this is, by the way, the 1st instance of the "thumbs down" being used I've seen in the forum, so that's amazing in and of itself! :) )

I believe this option to express "dislike", not just some form of support, leads to conflict in the forum ... just my 2 cents.

ie. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Now that being said, if one has something to add to the conversation, to generate debate or simply to express a different opinion, then by all means ... that's great! This, however, doesn't add to the conversation as it doesn't express "why" someone disagrees or "what" they disagree with.

Edit: (I wonder if I'm going to get down-voted/thumbs down for this post?? :lol: )

I mostly thumbs-downed your post for fun, but I do somewhat disagree. On other shitty platforms like facebook (which I try to avoid) there have been plenty of times I’ve really disagreed with and/or disliked posts and had to choose between wasting hours with substantive responses to a bunch of garbage or just letting all of that garbage through unchallenged. I’m still annoyed they don’t have a dislike reaction.

On the other hand, there have only been a handful of posts on FC that I really wanted to dislike and you may be right that the effects of offering the option here will be mostly negative.

I guess here I’m okay trying to leave it or removing it, but in a lot of places with a...less good community I’m annoyed that it’s not an option.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I into thumbs down as well... though I admit I've never used it until just now:shrug:
Nothing personal, just think there is room for disagreement and discourse.

If someone posts something offensive or off-base, there should be a quick way of saying "I am not in agreement."

Thumbs down does just that.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
As requested we will be replacing the thumb-down vote with a middle-finger-up "Fuck You" vote.

Kidding of course. :D We're civilized stoners.

The thumbs-down (negative 1 reaction score) vote isn't set up on fc and unless there's a demand for it we'll leave it that way for now. :tup:

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

As requested we will be replacing the thumb-down vote with a middle-finger-up "Fuck You" vote.

Kidding of course. :D We're civilized stoners.

The thumbs-down (negative 1 reaction score) vote isn't set up on fc and unless there's a demand for it we'll leave it that way for now. :tup:

NOPE. No demand whatsoever. And if someone disagrees with that, I refer you to the FUCK YOU thread.

But seriously. If you disagree, post a reason why. Thumbs down just makes it easy for the trolls. This isn't Reddit (thank dog).

Chainfish

I like the thumbs down feature even though not used yet. There have been posts that I've seen here that would have benefitted from a thumbs down. If used correctly, can only be a bonus. The "if you got nuffin nice to say" mentality doesn't make for good discussion/debate.
If used incorrectly/with malice, then that's a totally different issue and iirc, trolling/harassing is already covered in rules and would/could even cover uncalled for negative responses.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I kinda hate when you post something on other places and people can thumbs down or downvote you without making a statement. Gives you no room to defend your post. If someone disagrees they should state why, not just thumbs down.

Sometimes your post contains good info and you don't even know why you got a thumbs down.

daoist

this forum is actually pretty mellow and descent and informative. if you go to other fora or youtube comments it is a warzone out there.
i like it here. if somebody goes out of line anyway there is a report button.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I liked it best when there were no reactions, including likes. It forced people to make up their own opinion about a posts context. These emotional reactions tend to promote a herd mentality instead of facilitate discussion. The problem with the thumbs-down is it's not righteous, just look to Reddit to see many examples of honest, accurate, and truthful posts, completely surpressed from the thumbs down feature.

I kinda hate when you post something on other places and people can thumbs down or downvote you without making a statement. Gives you no room to defend your post. If someone disagrees they should state why, not just thumbs down.

Sometimes your post contains good info and you don't even know why you got a thumbs down.

Totally agree, this idea that you can visually express disagreement with someone, without even bothering to take a minute and rationalize why is a problem. It sways conversations without exchanging a single word.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Why do you feel the need to"defend"a post at all?
Your opinion,my opinion should diverge often regards most things for society to progress.
I fully support zero censorship regards spoken and written words.
Yes I will be offended,challenged and often proven wrong.
"Show me the light so that I may bask in it."
Set some ego aside and become you.
🐈

scy123

These emotional reactions tend to promote a herd mentality instead of facilitate discussion.

I kind of like this train of thought. Sometimes people are not much in the know on what is being discussed. Especially when the discussion is about something they are not familiar with and will tend to side with whoever seems more right to them.

I know sometime I am trying to explain something and often wondering if people reacting really know enough to understand or just thinking someone is right cause they sound smarter or they like the person more. If the person left a comment instead of a thumbs down you would know more about their knowledge on the discussion.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Does"angry"gimmick seem less or more hurtful?

I kind of like this train of thought. Sometimes people are not much in the know on what is being discussed. Especially when the discussion is about something they are not familiar with and will tend to side with whoever seems more right to them.

I know sometime I am trying to explain something and often wondering if people reacting really know enough to understand or just thinking someone is right cause they sound smarter or they like the person more. If the person left a comment instead of a thumbs down you would know more about their knowledge on the discussion.

arb,

scy123

If I was left with an angry reaction alone on that post I would be semi confused, but the comment put it more into perspective.

Vaporware

I think “angry” reactions are mostly used to express agreement with a post rather than anger at the poster.

For example a post saying “Company X took $1m in pre-orders and then folded before most people got their products.” might elicit a lot of angry face reactions.

Tranquility

I don't think there is much agreement on what any of the likes mean. I like things all the time that I don't "like" because it was a fair opinion that showed some effort. I don't think that's the way others use it. Same on angry. Do we put it when we're angry the info was posted at all? When we disagree?

But, for me, from having some experience on the posting of unpopular facts/opinions end of the spectrum, I wear any consideration of my thoughts with pride. Even if they're meant to be pejorative.

I9k3xXF_5FMSWz09TR_OodjAgXqJdnfjIB3JHjZb8EA.jpg

scy123

I don't really use reactions often unless I want to share some likes back. I do find myself offering "different" opinions on what I know when something seems really off base from my understandings and seems to annoy me. People often see this as combative, but they are free to disagree and educate me back.

I wouldn't call a thumbs down more than disagreeing without having to educate or share any "knowledge" back though.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The problem with the thumbs-down is it's not righteous, just look to Reddit to see many examples of honest, accurate, and truthful posts, completely surpressed from the thumbs down feature.

The big difference is that on reddit, downvotes actually push your post down lower in the list, away from the front page...which causes less people to see your post.

Here, a thumbs down does nothing like that. It doesn't effect anyone's ability to see your post at all. So it doesn't suppress it at all.

scy123

Here, a thumbs down does nothing like that. It doesn't effect anyone's ability to see your post at all. So it doesn't suppress it at all.

It does suppress it though, to someone who might not know much on the subject, they might think your post is questionable from the thumbs down and the person getting thumbs down might actually know what they are talking about and the person who thumbs down might be less knowledgeable and just think they are right.

Now you are removing the persons right to defend themselves cause you can't really reply to a thumbs down.

Really, I don't think someone who can't make a thought out post to point out why they disagree to be creditable, if you disagree with someone at least give them a couple seconds to make a comment. It adds more to the discussion cause now the person can explain their reasoning further and you might realize something you missed.

I know a couple times, I'm trying to explain something out side the box and the people arguing seems to have missed an important part they never realized before, that I thought they might of known cause they seemed smart.

A thumbs down is pretty much just you assuming your right, and won't/can't say why the other other person is wrong.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
It does suppress it though, to someone who might not know much on the subject, they might think your post is questionable from the thumbs down and the person getting thumbs down might actually know what they are talking about and the person who thumbs down might be less knowledgeable and just think they are right.

Now you are removing the persons right to defend themselves cause you can't really reply to a thumbs down.

Really, I don't think someone who can't make a thought out post to point out why they disagree to be creditable, if you disagree with someone at least give them a couple seconds to make a comment. It adds more to the discussion cause now the person can explain their reasoning further and you might realize something you missed.

I know a couple times, I'm trying to explain something out side the box and the people arguing seems to have missed an important part they never realized before, that I thought they might of known cause they seemed smart.

A thumbs down is pretty much just you assuming your right, and won't/can't say why the other other person is wrong.
Aren't you assuming you are the one who is is right here?
A post is a singular statement not a running story.
You can read what ever you'd like into it so why not make it something nice?
Finally if you need to defend your posts does that mean you think they cannot stand on their own?

Top Bottom