Ways to purge bho properly

2clicker

Observer
winterizing a butane oil works because butane is an aggressive non-polar solvent that extracts plant waxes easily. when you winterize it in ethanol (less aggressive, polar) those waxes fall out of the solution and can be filtered. this happens because of the differences between butane and ethanol. winterizing an ethanol extract in ethanol doesn't really allow for enough of a difference to have things fall out of solution. i'm not saying it won't do anything, but i'm not sure it does enough to justify doing it.

yes I mean that butane will extract more of the things you want and less of the things you don't...ethanol will bring over chlorophyll for example because ethanol is polar. this is why shorter washes are used with ethanol.

hey thanks! great stuff.

i was always under the impression that ethanol is less aggressive than ISO 99%. and because of that to wash longer in ethanol than ISO. so instead of a 20 sec wash in ISO (or less)... that a 40+ sec wash was needed for ethanol. have i been washing too long?

2clicker,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
hey thanks! great stuff.

i was always under the impression that ethanol is less aggressive than ISO 99%. and because of that to wash longer in ethanol than ISO. so instead of a 20 sec wash in ISO (or less)... that a 40+ sec wash was needed for ethanol. have i been washing too long?

you are correct that ethanol is less aggressive then iso and requires a longer wash, some of that is because iso is more aggressive with polars too, so it will take chlorophyll faster.

i'm not an expert by any means, I think these guys have a great website:
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

they use 3 minutes for ethanol! that should be an indication of how 'weak' a solvent it is...edit, i'm all for it's use because it is food grade, i'm not trying to put it down

2clicker

Observer
you are correct that ethanol is less aggressive then iso and requires a longer wash, some of that is because iso is more aggressive with polars too, so it will take chlorophyll faster.

i'm not an expert by any means, I think these guys have a great website:
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

they use 3 minutes for ethanol! that should be an indication of how 'weak' a solvent it is...edit, i'm all for it's use because it is food grade, i'm not trying to put it down

no worries. i didnt think you were knocking ethanol. thanks for the link!

2clicker,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I know it's a little off-topic from the thread title but since you guys are talking about it. How much high quality trim (little leaves with a decent amount of crystals) would you recommend for a 90ml can? Also how much ABV if I do an ABV run? I'm guessing I can just multiply up these figures if I end up getting 250ml cans. Any help is much appreciated.
ABV I use to save and make ISO WAX.
Dark and the flavor is horrible.
I throw ABV in the garbage these days.
Use your shake, trim, low growing flowers or even top colas to make your concentrates.

ABV is like eating a meal twice!

I don't think it's a good practice.

dannkk

The problem with ABV, resin, or reclaim is that, while there are some actives left, certain actives are almost completely gone. Like the THC. That stuff will take the edge off if you can't afford or find anything, but it'll never satisfy you like using something the first time.

dannkk,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
The problem with ABV, resin, or reclaim is that, while there are some actives left, certain actives are almost completely gone. Like the THC. That stuff will take the edge off if you can't afford or find anything, but it'll never satisfy you like using something the first time.
Thank you!

Now I don't feel so guilty.

ataxian,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
you read different things about it, some people say there is thc remaining up to 30%, some say very little, but you'd have to have it tested before and after to verify it...

vaporonly,

2clicker

Observer

i would agree with that, but there is one thing that ABV and reclaim are great for and that is heavy body high and/or nighty night. amazing for this IMO. im vaping some reclaim right now and in 20 mins ill be outskies.

2clicker,

BLAZEhotnail

San diego can you use any help?
I need a new Master SIFU please take me as your pupil!
a window of shatter?

BLAZEhotnail,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
i would agree with that, but there is one thing that ABV and reclaim are great for and that is heavy body high and/or nighty night. amazing for this IMO. im vaping some reclaim right now and in 20 mins ill be outskies.
I'm throwing my ABV away.
I can't handle the taste.
For me TOP SHELF FLOWERS.
Sticky OG just done drying and perfectly cured for Vaping.

I would rather have fresh flowers than ABV.
Even Concentrate are better from Flowers.
Throw away the fan leafs!

Waxy Dabman

i do everclear extractions and really want to improve my oil. i was curious about vac purging... is it only needed for butane use or will a vac help purge my EC extractions?

i currently filter with gold tone coffee filter, followed by an unbleached paper filter, and then evap. after that i winterize in more EC and repeat the two step filtering and evap. while evaping i use a portable hot plate, with an oil slick pad directly on the cooking surface, with my pyrex dish sitting on top of the OSP. all while using a fan to blow over the top of the dish. not sure what temp or long to heat purge...

will vac purging help me?

also how hot do i want my pyrex/hot plate to be when heat purging?
I know this is an old thread, but I hope your still alive. Using Pyrex and a stove with a fan is such a bad idea. When Pyrex gets hot and cool air blows on it, Pyrex explodes. Legit explode, but that’s the least of your problems considering a Pyrex dish full of butane would hit the burner. This is exactly how methlabs blow up, by opening a window to exhaust fumes or to cool down. Making wax is a similar process and could be just as dangerous if things like this aren’t considered or not known. Please be safe. If you somehow haven’t switched methods and haven’t had atleast a close call I would be surprised. Everything seems legit until it’s not. Hopefully this saves someone that was unaware of this. NEVER mix cold, hot and glass in any application.

Waxy Dabman

I have an autoclave reactor, I was wondering if anyone has ever made an oven vac. It gets near sub zero temps, and up to 400 degrees, and can handle super high psi. Assuming I make the adapter for my vac to connect it, does anyone see any issues, or think it would be worth it. I have a 5lb Apollo close loop extractor, would it be less work to use the heating element and thermostat off the reactor and use it on my extractor? They are about the same size and I have no idea what all has already been in this reactor, but I know they are for extracting hard to extract chemicals and sterilizing hazardous waste. I’ll try to figure out how to upload pics of them both. Thanks for any advice.

Waxy Dabman,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I have an autoclave reactor, I was wondering if anyone has ever made an oven vac. It gets near sub zero temps, and up to 400 degrees, and can handle super high psi. Assuming I make the adapter for my vac to connect it, does anyone see any issues, or think it would be worth it. I have a 5lb Apollo close loop extractor, would it be less work to use the heating element and thermostat off the reactor and use it on my extractor? They are about the same size and I have no idea what all has already been in this reactor, but I know they are for extracting hard to extract chemicals and sterilizing hazardous waste. I’ll try to figure out how to upload pics of them both. Thanks for any advice.
I made ABV shatter for year’s!

Not 2-boast however fresh professional processed CANNABIS PRODUCT’S from a local store is a decent choice!
I would vacuum however like wine flavor is important 4-some?
Growing outside along da OCEAN is not bad really!

Leave’s on da ground keep the lava soil at bay .

Dazed confused was more than a riff?
One member of da tribe has a AUTO-CLAVE we need 2-make some?
Thank U 4 da ideal!

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I have an autoclave reactor
why do you need a reactor tho? BHO making is not involved of any chemical reaction, just a matter of solvent, it can be easily done with some tube or so, just relying on the "Van Der Waals" forces between Butane and Trichomes and a lot of pressure because of the gas....

isn't reactor meant to be used only when you do a scale up to X chemical reaction?

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom