Ways to purge bho properly

Edward Hyde

ok so i've made two runs of bho with some leafs and trims i got and i am thinking to run one with buds...

the problem is i dont have a vacuum pump and the ways i've tried to purge my bho i think have failed until now because both bho after i "finished" purgin and i used the lighter and they didnt sparkle still but when i put them on the nail the sparkled (not that much but still sparkle wich means i didnt purge properly) on the other hand i am afraid to continue with my method cause i am afraid of overpurging(losing actives)
and i was wondering if anyone knows a way to purge properly when u got no oven no pump.

my method until now was that i put the bho on a stainless steel pad and then started applying heat under the pad with a lighter for some seconds and keep touching with my fingers the steel pad so that it doesnt get to hot.then when bubbles appeared i use the torch lighter to make them sparkle.and with small quantities i still have failed that way (since it sparkled again) so any advice for a bho newbie

P.S. please try to explain it as simple as possible cause when i am vaked my english is not the best.

Edward Hyde,

dannkk

Using heat to purge...you can do nothing but get more experience and get better at it.

But, you are doing it wrong, so you can probably get some better results.

Don't use a torch to burst the bubbles. That will just burn some of your oil.

Use a toothpick or something else pointy and just run it through the oil to break the bubbles.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I never use direct contact with the flame when I am purging my oil; that is just asking to destroy actives.

Instead, I use one of these specialty torches with comes with a special module that fits over the end of the nozzle and converts it for use as a soldering iron. I origionally bought this for soldering in weird places like on a rooftop or something. But I took the soldering tip off of the module, it just screws it off and noticed that there was a ceramic grille in there which gets red hot when hit by the flame, and then you use the little red pump at the top of the torch to open an air valve which mixes a bunch of cold air with the flames stream to blow hot air out of the unit.

This air seems to be an ideal temperature for purging, as I can keep in trained on the same spot for even 10 seconds without the oil blackening (blackening = actives converting) but getting lots of butane bubbling up. I just spray the hot air across the top layer of BHO while it is laid out in the pyrex for a while and let it bubble up, then give a real quick blow that pops all of the bubbles that formed and lets me bubble up more. After doing the whole top layer (you can tell when it's done because the wax/oil will have darkened considerably) I stir it up and start it again. I do the process about three or four times until oil is much darker and see through.

If your willing to wait a week or two I could make a video of my technique the next time I make a batch. But I just made up a nice chunk of Rock Star Funk and don't like having too much oil at once.

Edward Hyde

feel free to post it anytime u want i will be here lurking anyway so i'll see it...the problem is that i am new in vaping and i have already spent some serious money for vape related equipment so i cant affor bying more torches and pans and pumps etc so i am try to find the cheapest way to make some evaluated not unhealthy BHO with what i already got...using a stell tube with a home made top + coffee filter with plastic brands arround them to them in place home pyrex and spatoula i already had...so if possible give me the cheapest choice but still that will do the job properly...

i've seen on some videos in youtube that if i keep moving a toothpick like a dann said arround the bho in cross direction and keep water heat under it after some time it will become like butter/wax and then its fully purged...anyone knows if thats correct?

Edward Hyde,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
All parts together than torch cost 32 bucks shipped. I can understand your situation though; perhaps this might work.

Before I realized I could use my torch like that I was purging my BHO using boiling water. I would have two kettles boiling up water constantly and sat my pyrex dish in a pan and constantly replaced the oil in it. That worked pretty well but was tedious.

Also, I don't think that you can get your BHO to that perfectly purged state your shooting for without a vacuum. I still get a tiny sizzle every once in a while with my technique as down as I have it.

CentiZen,

z9

What type of butane did you use?

My cheap bernzomatic torch has a soldering tip!

z9,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
You mean butane for the torch? I just use normal bernzomatic butane in the torch, haven't found a way to get any other type of can to work with it. Theres some sort of proprietary interface which no nozzle in London can fit. Either way, I'm not too caught up by the possibility of impurities getting in from the air stream; most of the stuff is destroyed during the combustion process, and very little butane actually gets used when the blower is on.

CentiZen,

z9

I was talking to Hyde actually... I guess I could've specified.

I wouldn't be worried about the burning butane being blown onto the the oil. Who knows how much lighter fluid I inhaled during my combustion days lighting bowls and bongs. I actually haven't tried bho I'm considering it, but I'm happy with my qwiso. I haven't tried any bho that I thought was better that my qwiso. If I were to make it, I'd use the method you talked about. As I don't have a vacuum setup.

Edward Hyde

i use newport butane. wich costs me 3,5 euro per 250ml.i bought the newport because the store didnt have the vector wich costs 4 euro and its 350 ml wich i think is a really good deal compared to what i've found on the internet cause i dont have shipping costs either. z9 trust me bho is much easier than qwiso havent tried the results properly (vaping them in vapor genie with some weed or in the beggining smoking in on cigarets) + bho is much faster and if u got a vaccum pump u can make it honeycomb wich is easy to store also (qwiso aint that easy).

Edward Hyde,

Edward Hyde

ok so i made a run with some buds...turns out i am doing something wrong for sure...when my bho from leaves and trims came out brownish and greenish i was thinking its because its trims and leaves...after running a some buds and getting same brown without the grenish colour bho i am really annoyed :(

this time i run the the butane throught the tube and then stayight into the dish,let the butane evaporate and then take it on top of a heating pad.not too hot and when it bubbled started with the tip of a metal knife beaking bubbles and mixing the oil toghether in crosses so that it gets better purge (thats wht i found on the internet that mixing the oil helps the butake escape) my oil started becoming a bit like butter and then i stoped but thats the moment that i realised its still same colour...

any hints?

Edward Hyde,

dannkk

Was it dark before you started purging it? There's a few reasons it can be dark. Could be badly cured material. Could be that you burned it while purging. It could also be that the strain you're starting with just makes dark oil. Purple strains can even make purple oil.

What does it smell like? If it smells pretty much just like what you started with, you did it right.

dannkk,

Edward Hyde

it smells really nice...pretty much with my starting material...it was dark from the begining...just didnt get any lighter as i've seen in other ppls videos... :/

Edward Hyde,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I did a purge of about a gram and a half in a small Pyrex bowl (very small) sitting on top of my LSV cranked to the highest setting. This stuff wasn't originally made by me, but wasn't completely purged when I got it. The LSV did the trick. The BHO went from this murky cloudy mess, to a bubbly frenzy, to clear amber deliciousness.

I didn't know if it would work, but figured I'd give it a shot. I was surprised by the results.

Deadshort480,

SD_haze

Mastering the purge ==> Mastering the sexy oil
img_1360043144169-single.jpg

z9

That's fucking impressive haze. Did you make that? How much starting material was used?

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Holy #@$%$##@ $hit!!!
I wouldnt be leaving the house for a few months.
Do you need a new best friend SD?

Any chance you'd be willing to get the step by step down on video? That just screams experience that I'd love to learn from.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: ataxian

dannkk

it smells really nice...pretty much with my starting material...it was dark from the begining...just didnt get any lighter as i've seen in other ppls videos... :/

It doesn't get lighter. Sometimes if you whip it up or at certain stages of purging, there will be a lot of air mixed in with the oil. This will look lighter in color, but that's actually the air and spaces in between. Purge it out and it'd go back to the original color.

dannkk,

SD_haze

Holy #@$%$##@ $hit!!!
I wouldnt be leaving the house for a few months.
Do you need a new best friend SD?

Any chance you'd be willing to get the step by step down on video? That just screams experience that I'd love to learn from.
I would love to learn from the maker too... it was just pulled it off of nuggetry user pics this morning.
>.<

"Turbo diesel"

Personally I'm not in a living situation where experimenting with concentrate extraction is doable.

SD_haze,
Reactions: ataxian

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
Ok so I was here reading and trying to decide to make a new thread or if one fit the question... Maybe it can fit here.

I'm doing trial runs of BHO in small batches currently, to practice purging. I have a 2.5 cfm two stage vacuum pump. I don't have a chamber and currently creating the vacuum inside of large mason jars. I have not achieved the desired results this way.

First attempt, I put the material under the vacuum at room temperature, soon after blasting and initial evaporation, and there was little to no response to the vacuum. Small bubbles formed, no muffin tops formed or anything. It still significantly sparked when touched to the torch.

Second try, I brought the concentrate to a more of a liquid state by sitting over boiling water then put into the mason jar and purged. It did respond to the vacuum this time, I got some muffin top action going and bubbles forming and popping. I tried to maintain temp by placing the mason jar over a container of water that was boiled, but not currently heating cause I didn't know if it was safe with Tue mason jar to be in boiling water. I left it under the vacuum for about a hour. With repeated changes of the hot water. The end result had some honeycomb action from bubbles popped and looked good. But still sparked too much off the torch.

I'm thinking of doing another practice run today and wanting to get some tips. I think the issue is the heat, maintaining a temp that is allowing all of the tane to escape. Anyone try a mason jar directly in boiling water? Or any other methods.

Could the issue be anything else and not heat?

Could proper vacuum pressure not be the case? I have a cheap gauge that I revived from another tool that may not be so accurate.

Any help is appreciated!

YoGranMazPimp,

z9

So I acquired some colibri butane from a local cigar shop last week when I had a moment of bho making confidence. Now I'm reconsidering making bho because I don't have a vacuum purge set up or weed to waste. I had originally planned on trying the mason jar method but since then I have settled on making an extractor out of a stainless turkey baster and about 5 grams of buds. I have two 50 gram/3 fl. oz. cans of butane. How much should I use? Half a can, one can, or both?
Will a larger pyrex dish help purge more of the butane from the oil? My thinking is that if the oil is spread out over a larger surface area it wont hold as much residual butane when purging because the layer of oil will be thinner. I'm going to double boil around 160 F once the liquid butane evaporates and use a torch with a soldering tip to pop any bubbles.

Does this sound like an acceptable method? I know some people don't vacuum purge; I just don't want to have oil that's going to crackle or pop. If I can't properly purge it without a vacuum pump I'll just make QWISO until I have time to make a pump. Is a vacuum purge necessary with smaller amounts of oil like I will have? Assuming I properly purge it before scraping.

z9,

matthend

yes, but cut your tube down and you will not use as much butane as you think. I would not go quite so hot as not to lose flavor, but the thinner film the better for sure
jmho and i am a huge newb to this

matthend,
Top Bottom