• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaporizing Tobacco (not e-cigs)

vapedcrusader

I chuckled when I came across this post because I've been thinking about tobacco vaporization for awhile and finally tried it out the other month. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but it was definitely an interesting experience.

Some background: I used to smoke cigs 4 years ago, but quit, so I know what a nice buzz feels like. I was using a Volcano. The tobacco was strawberry flavored.

I ground the tobacco up as well as I could and then put it in a fired up a bag. After taking the bag down I realized that I had a pretty instant buzz. The vapor tasted pretty bad -- like nicotine more than strawberries -- but the effects were definitely pronounced. I had a great buzz for a few minutes, but I'm not sure it was worth the foul taste.:/

vapedcrusader,
Reactions: Bouldorado

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
I'm feeling when you realise who's in charge of your brain, the success rate is more like 100%:lol:

Cannabudz,

Purple-Days

An e-mail we got this morning. :)

"HI Pam,

. . .

I am one of those people who really is using it for tobacco, nicotine
delivery. No other quitting mechanism has dented my habit, and while
vaping may not end the habit either, it is definitely already improving
my health. It is actually satisfying enough to stand alone as my
nicotine source, and the wheezing and coughing are almost completely
gone already. Chronic bronchitis - goodbye! I didn't think it would
satisfy me, thought that it would actually end up as a gift for a friend
who would find a more traditional use for it, but it's mine, all mine,
now and forever.

Vaping as often as it takes to keep me satisfied, I find that I only use
up about one cigarette worth of tobacco per day - that's relative to my
nearly a pack a day habit. Even if vaporizing unleashes hitherto
unmentioned volatile nasties, my exposure is reduced overall to only 5%
of what are of the worst of the worst toxic byproducts, and all with no
combustion."

How interesting . . . and inspiring.

"it's mine, all mine" :lol: Sounds like VTAC :D

Purple-Days,
Reactions: Piruz

max

Out to lunch
Vaping as often as it takes to keep me satisfied, I find that I only use
up about one cigarette worth of tobacco per day - that's relative to my
nearly a pack a day habit.
Now that really is interesting. I wonder if a large 'sample' group of tobacco users would agree that much less tobacco is needed with vaping vs. smoking. This wouldn't work for everyone though, since cig smoking is so social and most feel the need to be ready to 'burn one' any time, anywhere (anywhere is a lot fewer places these days though :lol:). I also wonder if the guy is using tobacco taken from chemical laden US brand cigs, or choosing a more pure tobacco. Since his intake has greatly decreased, he could probably afford the more costly imported stuff. I know that's the way I'd go.

max,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ive been wondering, where WOULD one find purer tobbacco with out all hte additives? (besides your garden) is there a brand that sells organically grown?

how about the ethnobotanical suppliers' tobacco and rustica... are they still better than commercial?

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
im Lucky, I have access to Black market "Chop Chop" Tobacco if i feel the Need, (which i dont) for vaporised Baccy, I found the Taste of a Convenional Ciggarette Appaling and Foul, Vaped thru My Extreme, Where the "Chop Chop" was a more clean and discernable "Flavour" , Distinctive, And the buzz was most definately there(not so with the ciggarette stuff, i couldnt hold in the Hit)) when held in the lungs appropiately.

For me i simply Much Prefer Cannabis as a substance and cant rationalise the use of tobacco anymore when assessed in the "Clear Light of Day" under direct Evaluation and comparison for me anyway, When i compare the two different effects or results, side by side, Canna wins hands down, and i recognise Baccy as the poison it is.

If i wanted to consume tobacco in future i would most definately research and grow the most Appropriate Strain of the Plant available, And Vaporising i think is Prolly the Safest approach to that particular substance, Just My considered opinion after 27 years of smoking ciggarettes and occasionaly chewing nicotine Gum, sometimes Together(like i said Addiction issues,I consider Smoking to be responsible for)

Crack that :whip: Give the Past the Slip :)

Cannabudz,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
if you want to grow your own, look up nicotiana rustica, its something the south american shamans used with ayahuasca and for other things, its stronger than traditional tobacco (by about 20x) and has a different alkaloid profile that makes it somewhat more psychedelic

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Purple-Days

A couple of items, a) it's a girl b) I believe it's regular cigarettes

I was watching a Discovery Channel or similar show, that was discussing industrial tobacco. Ammonia is an important part of commercial cigarette smoke. They add chemicals that release ammonia during combustion, the ammonia combines with the nicotine to form the free-base of nicotine, extra addictive. Nice guys...:disgust:

They say that pipe tobaccos don't have these additives. Since folks don't inhale pipe tobacco why would they waste the chemicals?

Purple-Days,

PiNsU

Where I live we always use some tobaco when smoking high quality mj, I dont understand how u get a good burning spliff otherwise?

PiNsU,

max

Out to lunch
PiNsU said:
Where I live we always use some tobaco when smoking high quality mj, I dont understand how u get a good burning spliff otherwise?
I don't think 'even burning' is much of an issue for most of us here. :lol: And personally, if I did still smoke 'em, I'd rather deal with burning issues than deal with nicotine. I kicked that addiction years ago and have no desire to open that door again. :/

max,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I tried vapourising some tobacco for the first time yesterday. I took a wad of rolling tobacco and stuffed it into my herbalaire's crucible. I vapourised at 175C. The result was a bag of thick milky vapor. I almost felt guilty as I took it in, and had to keep reminding myself that "it's ok, it's only vapour". As an ex tobacco smoker, I actually found the flavour to be reasonably good. The effect was interesting, definitely stimulatory. For those who want to give up smoking, and can accept a change in ritual, this could be a good way to do it.

hazy,

Ansel

I quit smoking 2 years ago thanks to Swedish snus tobacco... i prefer this method to ecigs as you get the MAOIs etc from tobacco not just the nicotine. Which is why i am interested in vaping tobacco rather than just a nicotine liquid. But how safe is it? Sure i vape cannabis and it feels a lot safer than smoking it but vaping tobacco i don't know... have there been any studies into it?

If i have vaped some cannabis and i pop in a snus i definitely notice a very nice synergy between tobacco and cannabis.

Ansel,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I think if someone with the mindset of best available healthy choices wants to vaporize tobacco, they should at least use a natural grown unadulterated tobacco (not to be read as organic because its just not currently available or possible in volume as compared to DIY grown plants), as opposed to a 'processed' tobacco by BigTobacco.

I've been meaning to try these guys out for their raw leaves of multiple tobacco plant types (or combinations there of), and they appear to ship internationally without me being subject to tariff's or restrictions that normally come into play with tobacco since its in raw unprocessed form.

Anyways, I've yet to personally try it so I can't comment on findings/results of use or buying experiences. I just haven't had the inkling 'yet' to pull the trigger and give it a shot.

EDIT: OOOP's....... forgot to give ya's the link (guess what "I'm" vaping that isn't 'tobacco' ?? :brow:) silly me, here it is: http://www.leafonly.com/

smokum,

amilehigh

I've been smoking spliffs (most of my friends wont even smoke with me because of it) for a few years now. I have never smoked cigarettes on their own, but even by just smoking a little tobacco here and there I still crave it. I can smoke a bowl, but all i want to do afterwards is roll up a spliff. I'm sure its more of a mental thing, a habit, or an "oral fixation" more than it is truly an "addiction".

I started because I lived by myself one summer, had no piece, and decided i wanted to learn how to roll awesome joints while not wasting all my green. I started enjoying the buzz, or light-headedness and have been smoking 'em ever since.

Over the years I have mostly used the American Spirit "organic" roll your own tobacco. The one that comes in the blue bag. And also for some time i would buy a pack of the mellow American Spirit that came in the yellow carton (didnt come in bags). A single cigarette would typically last about a week (~1 spliff a day, maybe 2 or 3 on the weekends). I'm curious as to how much better American Spirit is in terms of toxins, additives, etc. when compared to the other Big Tobacco companies. Anyone know? Ive also gone back and forth between using a real filter and using just a "roach" (rolled up business card type of thing).

I've seen a lot of spliff discussions, and a common recommendation i see is Peter Stokkebye tobacco. There are a bunch of different types, but I would try the Amsterdam Shag and Turkish export. I'm trying to steer away from spliffs and since a bag of American Spirit lasts me months.. i'm not sure i'll ever try them.

I digress. I was looking to see if anyone that used to smoke spliffs now enjoys the same combination in vapor form. I'm looking to get my first vaporizer (leaning towards either a cera or a SSV/DB) so this has been on my mind and this discussion is exactly what i was looking for.

amilehigh,

Edward Hyde

Anyone have experience vaporizing tobacco?

Most of us probably don't want to "contaminate" our vapes, but surely there are some cigarette smokers out there looking for a healthier alternative.

i think that vaporizing tobacco is not the proper thing to do if u are a smoker and u like it...i have tried vaporizing tobacco (even tho i am not a smoker anymore and i never was tobbaco smoker) and it just gives u a really intense taste of nicotine and no vissible vapor.i think that most ppl who are smoker feel that watching something coming out of your mouth when u exhale is really important.so i think vaporizing tobacco (for the nicotine) maybe can get u addicted to nicotine (or transfer your addiction for nicotine to vaporizing it but for sure smokers like the feeling of smoke and watching exhaling something so probably and i think these are the main problems that u have when u switch from smoking cannabis to vaping cannabis also...

so my conclusion is that if someone is just addicted to nicotine and wants to recieve nicotine healthy then yes vaporizing tobacco might be a good solution...On the other hand if someone is a smoker and is addicted to the feeling/taste/idea of the smoke + the habbit of smoking then its better to take an e-cig even tho its not sure they are going to like it.

Edward Hyde,

MPZ

Hi,

I've been a smoker for about 5 years now :(, and I have experimented with vaporizing tobacco... I am actually about to switch vapes because I want to switch completely to vaping tobacco.

I first tried it with an Arizer extreme Q which was later stolen :(. Problem was, I was only at 150c, as this is the temp I saw online. I used an unflavored pipe tobacco- and it didn't really do it for me buzz wise, and the taste was slightly worse than mediocre.

I later (far more recently) tried tobacco in my Thermovape cera- OMG the flavor!!! Flavored pipe tobacco tasted like just the flavoring, but tobacco from cigars and nice cigarettes (I tried sobraine, nat Sherman, and Mild Seven/Mevius) tasted nothing like smoking- almost herbal, but delicious. However, none of these gave me the effect I was looking for.

My suspicion is that I simply wasn't vaping at a high enough temperature to get the MAOI effects from the tobacco, and that this is what I was missing. Nicotine is nice as stimulants go, but 20 years ago doctors probably would have prescribed me MAOI (According to my research at least), as I am diagnosed with both ADD and an anxiety disorder.

To those reporting bad taste, it has been my experience that conduction is the enemy (of palatable flavor) when vaporizing tobacco- it's all about convection and radiation. I suspect I got such good flavor from my Cera because it is extremely difficult to get any conduction going on with it.

As much as I don't want to, I am actually about to sell my Cera because I need something with a temperature control, that can get hot without the exterior getting too hot, that I can preferably carbon filter conveniently, for vaping tobacco on the go. I was planning on buying an arizer solo- can anyone think of any other options? (oh yea- also it should be mostly convection if possible).

I hope this helps someone else out (especially other people like me, who want their MAOI for medical reasons), and I will continue to report as I try to make this transition. Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks,
MPZ

P.S. to those trying to shop for a vape with tobacco/spliff in mind, I can't recommend the Cera highly enough IF you don't need to vape tobacco at high temperatures on the go- as it takes a significant amount of time for the Cera to get really hot, and it gets quite hot to the touch (the true issue for portability). However, if you are ok with normal temperatures, or don't need the portability factor for tobacco, the Cera is unmatched (in my experience) by any othe vape for flavor (for both tobacco and herb. Oh and this is compared to da bhudda, volcano, extreme q, vaporbrothers, launch box... possibly a few more). It's a really awesome vape- damn I wish Thermovape would make a soloesque vaporizer with their ceramic heating design.

Last edited:
MPZ,

MPZ

Hey mpz, ill try pipe tobacco in the solo tomoro and let you know

Thanks! Super appreciated- I admit I also want a solo becacue I have realized that I get the medical effects I want from my flowers at lower temperatures, thus the temperature control will be extremely helpful, but I need to get something that works well for tobacco. Oh- also, a fine grind on tobacco helps with vapor production.

Grow Goddess

Oil Snob
Anyone have experience vaporizing tobacco?

Most of us probably don't want to "contaminate" our vapes, but surely there are some cigarette smokers out there looking for a healthier alternative.

I have tried it. I had been battling trying to quit cigarettes for a long time. Been smoking for a good 30 years. I finally was able to quit with regular e-cigarettes. I first tried to vaporize tobacco. The taste was absolutely disgusting. Also, if you vape a little too much, it can make you feel sick. It seemed much more potent in the vaporizer. Then again, it might not have been the tobacco, it could have been all the other toxins, chemicals, and radiated crap they put in it. Real, untainted cigarette tobacco is illegal here in the USA. It must be contaminated with chemicals and grown using radioactive fertilizer. That gave me the motivation to quit. Just a basic $25 dream vapor kit helped me on my way to quitting tobacco. It has been a good 6 months or so since I have been smoke free. Heck, I don't even smoke bud any more. I love vaping concentrated cannabis in my e-ciggs!

Ansel

when you deal with snus you want air-cured tobacco to aim for negligible TSNAs. I suspect the same is true when vaping it.

MPZ

I have tried it. I had been battling trying to quit cigarettes for a long time. Been smoking for a good 30 years. I finally was able to quit with regular e-cigarettes. I first tried to vaporize tobacco. The taste was absolutely disgusting. Also, if you vape a little too much, it can make you feel sick. It seemed much more potent in the vaporizer. Then again, it might not have been the tobacco, it could have been all the other toxins, chemicals, and radiated crap they put in it. Real, untainted cigarette tobacco is illegal here in the USA. It must be contaminated with chemicals and grown using radioactive fertilizer. That gave me the motivation to quit. Just a basic $25 dream vapor kit helped me on my way to quitting tobacco. It has been a good 6 months or so since I have been smoke free. Heck, I don't even smoke bud any more. I love vaping concentrated cannabis in my e-ciggs!

It is actually possible to get natural tobacco in the states, even organic, it's just a pain, and it will never actually be labeled "cigarette tobacco." One can purchase organic tobacco in leaf form, and natural tobacco (both purely tobacco, no additives) cut for pipes. Frankly, I envy you- I can't find an e-liquid that doesn't mess with my allergies. I might try virgin vapors' new alcohol-free liquid if I can find a really cheap e-cig, but I am wary of the possibility that it would be a complete waste of money. I am happy for you- congrats on quitting

cawshook

Solod out.
Hey mpz, couldnt get the pipe tobacco, but i havent forgotten to come back and give you some feedback. Tomoro

cawshook,
Reactions: MPZ

MPZ

Hey mpz, couldnt get the pipe tobacco, but i havent forgotten to come back and give you some feedback. Tomoro

:) appreciate it

when you deal with snus you want air-cured tobacco to aim for negligible TSNAs. I suspect the same is true when vaping it.

Thanks for the heads up- I will make sure to go for air cured.

MPZ,

thefiddler

I have been using my Arizer Solo to vape both tobacco and herbs, usually together, for almost two years now and for me it works great. I use PVHES stems and I have both the basic straight one and the shorty. I pretty much always use Stokkebye's Danish tobacco. It's my favorite and it has a very fine cut and a decent amount of moisture. I find larger dry cuts like American Spirit don't work as well and produce less vapor.

My usual vapor spliff is: PVHES shorty stem filled half with tobacco (about a pinch) and filled the rest of the way with finely ground herbs. If you put the tobacco in first the herbs act as a buffer so it won't be directly on the heat source and will therefore be less likely to burn. I turn the Solo up to 4 and vape it til I don't see much vapor. I love the taste and get a nice combined spliff high.

If I just want tobacco I pretty much do the same and just don't add the herbs. I usually only turn the Solo up to 3 if it's straight tobacco because it burns easier. The flavor is great this way, but you only get a small number of visible hits. Part of why spliff bowls are nice is because the herbs help to extend the number of hits you get from the bowl. You can always try adding more tobacco but you have to be careful. You definitely extract more from vaping it than smoking it so I never really use more than a pinch or two and I usually get a good head rush.

Hopefully some of that is helpful. It's nice to see more people interested in vaping tobacco.

thefiddler,
Top Bottom