Vaporizing Tobacco (not e-cigs)

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Wow! What an amazing thread!

But so confusing also. There seems to be two opposing sides on every front (from tobacco is vapable vs not vapable to use VG/PG Vs don't use it and pipe tobacco is yhe way vs rolling tobacco is much better for vaping).

I was two thoughts away from ordering a DynaVap to vape some tobacco but now I'm super confused and don't want to walk down a road where I end spending hundreds of pounds on a wide range of devices that might not work.
haven't done much vaping, but I liked on demand convection vapes most. dyna will work but it hardly a leisurely experience, with the heating and limited window its hot. you might want to look into a v3 pro it works quite well, if you like it but want something better there are other options but the v3 is a cheap way into the space.

Bad Dog,
Reactions: Piruz

Piruz

I'm a medwakh smoker lol that stuff is hardly leisurely and even when I smoke a cigarette I clear it in 4 puffs in order to get the most intense smoking experience possible so I'm gonna order a Dynavap today and see what tomorrow brings I really hope it satiates my cravings in as few puffs as possible without all the tar and combustion and hopefully without some other adverse effect which I'm not aware of.

Hi Bad Dog!
In my opinion, It often it happens with different types of tobacco.:tup:
Especially in the case of pipe tobacco, I get invisible vapour when I exhale. In the case of rolling tobacco, I feel much more of a nicotine hits and get visible clouds. ;)

I guess humidity has something to do with it, since the best condition for pipe tobacco is considered to be 65-70% humidity.
Rolling tobacco is drier than pipe tobacco.:cheers:

Cheers!:D
Perfect so rolling tobacco on the drier side should be the way to go then!

If this works, I'm not just gonna be saving my health but loaaads of quids too.

Hi Bad Dog!
In my opinion, It often it happens with different types of tobacco.:tup:
Especially in the case of pipe tobacco, I get invisible vapour when I exhale. In the case of rolling tobacco, I feel much more of a nicotine hits and get visible clouds. ;)

I guess humidity has something to do with it, since the best condition for pipe tobacco is considered to be 65-70% humidity.
Rolling tobacco is drier than pipe tobacco.:cheers:

Cheers!:D
Oh and you vape straight tobacco right not tobacco soaked in VG and other stuff and it still gives clouds?

Bad Dog

Oh and you vape straight tobacco right not tobacco soaked in VG and other stuff and it still gives clouds?
Never used any pg/vg when I vaped tobacco 👍 and more important to use a tobacco product you like than a certain type. Wet stuff can be dried and dry stuff made moist. For tobacco clouds were very secondary but they do give a certain satisfaction but it does not mean you are doing a better job necessarily. And even tobacco’s with light vapour can feel strong in the throat and lungs but the clouds are small. So what you are particularly looking for is up to you, cavendish can be a good idea but depending on the exact type and brand the vapour differs.

you likely prefer the idea of the dyna being quick and intense, the was/is my smoking style as well. For an easier experience with less work than the heat, hit, reheat hit style most use that vape in, there is another style of use you might like better. Need a hammer pipe or j hook, hammer is my favourite and can be used dry, dry vaping is more intense. You also need a water pipe adapter for the dyna. Heat up in the traditional dyna method put on the hammer pipe and take your hit, every so often hit with the torch to heat back up so you can keep hitting without waiting for the cool down clicks and starting another cycle. It makes for a quicker session and less work overall but requires more effort into learning the technique

this is a example of what I am talking about but with weed and a bong, did way more opften with my hammer pipe just don’t have a video, principle is the same though

here’s my hammer pipe

heres a adapter for a dyna, it’s full of glass balls to smooth the vapour a bit but not necessary, you might want to try later down the road.

heres a j hook I use for the same thing, just prefer the hammer because it lets you see what is going on better, as in you can see the vapour you’re getting

Piruz

Never used any pg/vg when I vaped tobacco 👍 and more important to use a tobacco product you like than a certain type. Wet stuff can be dried and dry stuff made moist. For tobacco clouds were very secondary but they do give a certain satisfaction but it does not mean you are doing a better job necessarily. And even tobacco’s with light vapour can feel strong in the throat and lungs but the clouds are small. So what you are particularly looking for is up to you, cavendish can be a good idea but depending on the exact type and brand the vapour differs.

you likely prefer the idea of the dyna being quick and intense, the was/is my smoking style as well. For an easier experience with less work than the heat, hit, reheat hit style most use that vape in, there is another style of use you might like better. Need a hammer pipe or j hook, hammer is my favourite and can be used dry, dry vaping is more intense. You also need a water pipe adapter for the dyna. Heat up in the traditional dyna method put on the hammer pipe and take your hit, every so often hit with the torch to heat back up so you can keep hitting without waiting for the cool down clicks and starting another cycle. It makes for a quicker session and less work overall but requires more effort into learning the technique

this is a example of what I am talking about but with weed and a bong, did way more opften with my hammer pipe just don’t have a video, principle is the same though

here’s my hammer pipe

heres a adapter for a dyna, it’s full of glass balls to smooth the vapour a bit but not necessary, you might want to try later down the road.

heres a j hook I use for the same thing, just prefer the hammer because it lets you see what is going on better, as in you can see the vapour you’re getting
Thanks man that was useful. So you only vape tobacco using a water pipe?

Piruz,
Reactions: Bad Dog

Bad Dog

Thanks man that was useful. So you only vape tobacco using a water pipe?
the hammer pipe is a bubbler but much smaller and can be used dry, good for sitting in a chair for a session and relaxing. I don't vape much of anything these days including tobacco. switched to edibles for weed, vape here and there, even been smoking the odd bowl 🤦‍♂️ sometimes you fall of the horse when it comes to combustion, its not that vaping tobacco isn't good, just life is stressful and old habits 😅 hoping to drop the habit completely now I'm edibles user but need to take care of stressor's first. Quitting when you don't have the mindset is what is hard, the vaping part is easy you gust have to want to do it to keep it going. been off for months or even over a year at a time but fall off the horse every so often. but this place isn't just for info its for support

akit4so

Tobacco Vapourist
Hi there!
I don’t use VG/PG too.
I love pure straight Virginia tobacco mellowed taste. :)
I use bubbler sometimes for fading taste.
I don’t like Latakia blended tobacco taste and flavour. 😉

akit4so,

Piruz

Just tried my newly arrived DynaVap B with tobacco. Absolutely disappointing! The amount of vapor is insignificant, and somehow harsh (like the feeling you get at the back of your throat when there's incense burning around you) and tastes like burnt food (even though not combusted) and I don't feel any nicotine whatsoever! Is this a joke?

I tried both marlboro gold rolling tobacco and Dokha. Surprisingly the Dokha (being finely chopped the way it is) produced more smoke/vapor, but it was unflavorful and almost has no nicotine!

What will I do now? 😭

Piruz,
  • Wow
Reactions: akit4so

Farid

Tobacco vapor is harsh and the vapor is barely visible. Did you clean the B when it arrived? That is always advised.

But you should certainly feel the nicotine. I would suggest heating a second or 2 past the click for a higher temp. Also would suggest a higher quality tobacco.

Farid,

Piruz

I didn't clean it when it arrived, no. I did use high quality tobacco (pipe tobacco, Dokha and rolling) and did let it heat for 2 seconds beyond the click with all three. Only difference it made was lots of black (probably some residual combustion) all over inside.

Honestly it even tastes better combusted.

The lighter I used however was single torch. Doubt that's what made the whole experience rubbish though.

When I smoked the same blend (Kendal Dark from Gawith and Hoggarth) I could taste the residual chocolaty dark fired tobacco for hours but when vaped it tasted like burt food or something.

I even put some coffee in there just to see if it would create a different kind of vaping experience. The coffee had more flavor but very insignificant amounts of cloud.

Now the cap is all charred and I don't know how to remove the black solids hahahaha.

Piruz,

Farid

Q tips soaked in iso, and scrub the tip.

Until you clean it, it's going to taste bad. I wouldn't vape coffee, just choose a tobacco that vapes well.

Farid,

Piruz

But if Dokha, Kendal Dark and Marlboro Gold rolling tobacco all felt and vaped the same when in reality they can't be more different, what difference will new tobaccos make?

Piruz,

Farid

Marlboro is not good quality. Dokha doesn't vape too well IME. I don't know about the other one. But Virginia dominant pipe tobacco has worked well for me, along with many quality rolling tobaccos. It will never taste like smoke (though Latakia, perique, and flue cured will have a smokiness to them). But it should taste like figs, fresh bread, chocolate, etc. Normal tobacco flavor.

But the first thing to do is clean your vape. If you never did that, it's no wonder it tastes bad. If you accidentally combust you should clean it again. And certainly don't add coffee, the only thing I'd add would be PG/VG if you need clouds.

But what doesn't make sense is that you're not feeling nicotine. That tells me something is wrong with your heating technique.

Farid,

Piruz

I had my relative try it out yesterday. She's an ex heavy smoker and current vapor (e-cigs). She was deeply impressed with both the flavor and the nicotine hit. She had it felt like smoking (a bit stronger) but without thr chest pain. Now I'm sure there's a deeply embedded hatred in my lungs for vapor and crazy love for smoke because I can't handle the former it seems no matter what I do.(e cigs heat not burn you name it).

I used single torch and aimed for the bottom of the cap while rotating. Only went beyond the click when I had to and for like 2 seconds. I was actually surprised to see it produce vapor from first heating session but it doesn't pick up from there and remains sort of preliminary.

First attempt is almost always a fail however and I will have to try out new set ups.

Piruz,

Farid

The only thing I've found can help with harshness in the lungs and throat is mouth to lung inhalation. But if you smoked dokha that should be familiar.

Maybe try taking smaller, shallower hits too.

Nicotine is pretty easily absorbed by the mucus membrane too, so you could try just retrohaling and not even engaging your lungs.

But it will never be the same as smoke. It's really better as a tool to quit smoking and nicotine all together.

Piruz

I don't need it to be the same as smoking, I just need it to not make me choke and feel like someone is ironing my throat!

I did try small retrohales (without inhaling) and this time yes I could feel the rush (more than when I inhaped?) but as soon as the vapor hit my mouth and nose the allergic reaction couldn't be more pronounced!

Anyway, there's a lot of blends and condiments to try from so I'll keep trying and maybe eventually add some VG.

Piruz,

Farid

Oh and maybe, just maybe thr DynaVap B is an inferior product.

You're welcome to try other vaporizers, but everything you describe sounds like an issue with tobacco vapor itself and not with the vaporizer you're using. You'll end up more frustrated with more money spent. It's good you tried the B, since that's about as inexpensive as you can get.

If I were you I'd probably switch to smokeless products like Swedish snus.

akit4so

Tobacco Vapourist
Just tried my newly arrived DynaVap B with tobacco. Absolutely disappointing! The amount of vapor is insignificant, and somehow harsh (like the feeling you get at the back of your throat when there's incense burning around you) and tastes like burnt food (even though not combusted) and I don't feel any nicotine whatsoever! Is this a joke?

I tried both marlboro gold rolling tobacco and Dokha. Surprisingly the Dokha (being finely chopped the way it is) produced more smoke/vapor, but it was unflavorful and almost has no nicotine!

What will I do now? 😭
Hi, New dynavap cap will click earler,
My advice is:
Heat and click, then wait cold/cooling click, then heat again click.
My experience, new caps click very earlier. if you woud not heat many time, try single flame lighter. ;)
And clicks are going to slower, need to patient but it worth to be dynavap master! :D

akit4so,

Farid

I gave my M a try with some L.J. Peretti Tashkent, since I was questioning my memory of what vaping tobacco is like after Piruz' experience.

I was blown away at how well it vaped. Big clouds, great flavor, mellow on the throat. The Latakia gave it a very smokey flavor, certainly better than if I smoked it, but close enough to smoking for it to feel familiar.

It really made me reconsider vaping dry tobacco as a quitting tool. In many ways it offers something that ecigs don't quite provide wrt flavor and effects. Also, the effort involved in lighting a Dynavap makes it harder to passively vape - which helps if you're trying to cut back.

Farid,

Piruz

Latakia is smoother anyway it can even be inhaled in pipe smoking if you really must inhale something to get your fix while smoking your pipe.

Maybe your DynaVap is a superior version to the cheap I've got too. Anyway it definitely sounds worth trying out I mean vaping something with Latakia in it.

Piruz,

Piruz

Update: I just revisited my DynaVap with some rolling tobacco in it (Marlboro Gold). I deep cleaned it from all the rubbish I put in it when I was compulsively trying out all sorts of things just to see how it vaped different stuff (it had something that looked like tar, probably from the coffee lol). I dried out some rolling tobacco (not too dry, just dry enough to vape or smoke) and started heating.

No peppery taste this time, as I didn't cover the airport at all (as I suspected that unpleasant peppery taste/feeling is probably only residual and only there when you cover the airport and pull hard in other words it doesn't come with the vapor at higher temperatures), and the amount of vapor was good (albeit short lived). It had that warm tobacco taste, not unlike fresh bread, and gave me a good throat hit and the nicotine could clearly be felt even though I'd smoked Dokha an hour earlier.

What surprised me the most is that Marlboro Gold (rolling) vaped a lot better than Golden Virginia, which is supposed to be of higher quality but also has an overwhelming vinegary note to it (Oriental probably) and although high in the nicotine department it doesn't have a throat hit or mouth feel when smoked like MG does so it's unsurprising that it would not fare better when vaped. MG also vaped much better than Auld Kendal Dark by G&H. I'm now really curious as to what tobacco Marlboro Gold Rolling uses that makes it vape better than the rest. My bet is that if you isolate that more vaporizable condiment you can find a tobacco that's more suited for vaporizing. Dokha vaped fine and tasted like green tea but MG produced more vapor and felt more satisfying (you know, that warm tobacco taste and throat hit).

The heating technique had a big role to play. The longer it takes to heat, the more vapor you get (and the more satisfying it feels). The way for me was to keep the torch as far away from the cap as possible (and to rotate, obviously). This gives the heat more time to extract (more) vapor at sustainable temperatures. If you push it, it will click earlier yes but produce harsher and less satisfying vapor. Being subtle with heating is key.

Only problem with the DynaVap now is that the bowl is way too small. At some point the DynaVap does give you what you expect from tobacco but it is very short lived.

Last edited:
Piruz,

Piruz

Hi, New dynavap cap will click earler,
My advice is:
Heat and click, then wait cold/cooling click, then heat again click.
My experience, new caps click very earlier. if you woud not heat many time, try single flame lighter. ;)
And clicks are going to slower, need to patient but it worth to be dynavap master! :D

Now that's something I haven't tried yet! You're saying the vapor stays inside the cap if you don't puff? All you have to do to get a bigger hit is to heat and click and heat and click twice without puffing in between? That sounds interesting and sounds like it could give one big satisfying hit!

Oh, and I've been using a crappy single flame torch lighter all along. A triple torch makes a difference?

Last edited:
Piruz,
Reactions: akit4so

akit4so

Tobacco Vapourist
Now that's something I haven't tried yet! You're saying the vapor stays inside the cap if you don't puff? All you have to do to get a bigger hit is to heat and click and heat and click twice without puffing in between? That sounds interesting and sounds like it could give one big satisfying hit!

Oh, and I've been using a crappy single flame torch lighter all along. A triple torch makes a difference?
Yes, I don't puff between heat and cool and heat.

I basically use triple torch,quick click(until second click),then put on magnet or metal base for waiting cooling click, then one cooling clicked after, heat the cap again.
vapour should be in the cap but I never experience bad results. :)

if you use single flame,I recommend to heat bottom of cap for longer heating. It should be higher temp than top. ;)

I hope your result will be good for you!

akit4so,

Piruz

Only one problem though. See that horrible chesty feeling some people get from e-cigs? I'm getting it from vaporized tobacco. It's like my body just can't handle steam/vapor! Everything else seems to be alright but when it comes to high intolerance for vapor/steam, I know it's just me (and a number of other smokers who, for this reason alone, choose not to become vapors/vaporizers).

Damn it! You'd think someone who smokes the world's hottest and strongest tobacco would be able to handle a little bit of vapor! Think again 😩

Piruz,
Top Bottom